Subject: "STSF" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #68053
Show all folders

Random shapeshifter 323 (Anonymous)Mon 08-May-17 05:57 PM
Charter member
#68053, "STSF"

Does STSF go off of a forms INT or the shapeshifter's INT?

I'm asking because I recently fought a warrior with STSF and about 10 rounds into our first encounter, I couldn't flee. This is *after* taking the unpredictable edge.

Are those charges supposed to build that fast? Hard to imagine fighting a STSF without the edge (assuming there's a difference). And I imagine the net result for most would be to avoid that person for the rest of your login.

Lastly, to anyone playing STSF warriors, it seems pretty childish to taunt someone for not fighting you a second or third time. No one owes you another battle especially when they cannot flee/dodge/parry/hit you. If you want more action, don't pick STSF next time.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: STSF, Shifty Shifter (Anonymous), 09-May-17 02:07 PM, #19
Reply tbh, that's sadly the counter to STSF, Onewingedangel, 09-May-17 04:02 PM, #21
Reply RE: tbh, that's sadly the counter to STSF, Umiron, 09-May-17 04:37 PM, #22
     Reply Unfortunately then you have people like me, Onewingedangel, 09-May-17 04:49 PM, #23
Reply RE: STSF, Drehir, 09-May-17 10:02 PM, #24
     Reply RE: STSF, SideStrider, 23-May-17 08:06 PM, #29
          Reply RE: STSF, Drehir, 23-May-17 09:14 PM, #30
               Reply RE: STSF, Isildur, 23-May-17 10:41 PM, #31
Reply Some advice for shifter vs STSF, Humbert, 09-May-17 08:41 AM, #18
Reply You hit the nail on the head there., Kalageadon, 09-May-17 03:16 PM, #20
Reply RE: STSF, Isildur, 08-May-17 07:53 PM, #9
Reply RE: STSF, Random shapeshifter 323 (Anonymous), 08-May-17 08:37 PM, #10
Reply RE: STSF, Umiron, 08-May-17 07:26 PM, #6
Reply That's the kind.., Random shapeshifter 323 (Anonymous), 08-May-17 07:40 PM, #7
Reply In fact..., Random shapeshifter 323 (Anonymous), 08-May-17 07:40 PM, #8
Reply I felt it was useful., Murphy, 08-May-17 11:26 PM, #12
Reply What use does that have?, Kstatida, 10-May-17 02:43 AM, #25
Reply RE: STSF, Isildur, 10-May-17 11:45 AM, #26
     Reply Yeah, like a goblin raider! :), Kstatida, 10-May-17 12:00 PM, #27
          Reply Great STSF IDEA!!!, Kstatida, 10-May-17 12:01 PM, #28
Reply Form stats nt, Destuvius, 08-May-17 06:18 PM, #2
Reply Since the avg form int = 17..., Random shapeshifter 323 (Anonymous), 08-May-17 06:41 PM, #4
     Reply Some of the recent changes have def made shifters more ..., TMNS, 08-May-17 07:06 PM, #5
          Reply This isn't my experience at all, Murphy, 08-May-17 11:18 PM, #11
               Reply Ug. Necro v. shifters, Random shapeshifter 323 (Anonymous), 08-May-17 11:30 PM, #13
               Reply Depending on the ability of a lagging opener..., TMNS, 09-May-17 02:26 AM, #15
                    Reply Yes, I did mean undead., Murphy, 09-May-17 06:47 AM, #17
               Reply Some of us shifter players like to live dangerously Mur..., TMNS, 09-May-17 02:24 AM, #14
                    Reply This does not work against STSF, Murphy, 09-May-17 06:46 AM, #16
Reply Man I hope nobody ever uses throw on you. n/t, Lhydia, 08-May-17 06:05 PM, #1
     Reply It's hard to throw a shifter. n/t, Random shapeshifter 323 (Anonymous), 08-May-17 06:27 PM, #3

Shifty Shifter (Anonymous)Tue 09-May-17 02:07 PM
Charter member
#68074, "RE: STSF"
In response to Reply #0

I bug boarded not being able to take unpredictable edge and had been trying to figure out the hidden thing keeping me from it (lack of observation exp, I think?), but seeing this I'm now glad I was unable to.

Guess I'll find my points better spent elsewhere and just run from STSF if I don't kill them in 3-4 rounds.

OnewingedangelTue 09-May-17 04:02 PM
Member since 22nd Jul 2009
447 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#68077, "tbh, that's sadly the counter to STSF"
In response to Reply #19

Burst Damage, very high Burst Damage. Especially as low Int characters. Otherwise their going to start defending better, hitting better, and stop you from fleeing.

It wouldn't be nearly as bad if they put a cap on how much damredux a warrior can get without assistance (healer/muter/invoker). An STSF warrior packing aura/shield/desensitize/stoneskin is just going to hurt so many people without much effort in the actual fight itself (granted that's lots of effort before the fight, but meh.)

UmironTue 09-May-17 04:37 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1495 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#68078, "RE: tbh, that's sadly the counter to STSF"
In response to Reply #21

>Burst Damage, very high Burst Damage. Especially as low Int
>characters. Otherwise their going to start defending better,
>hitting better, and stop you from fleeing.
>
>It wouldn't be nearly as bad if they put a cap on how much
>damredux a warrior can get without assistance
> healer/muter/invoker). An STSF warrior packing
>aura/shield/desensitize/stoneskin is just going to hurt so
>many people without much effort in the actual fight itself
> granted that's lots of effort before the fight, but meh.)

For what it's worth, any mage typically has the upper hand against a warrior when it comes to who can burn more DR preps without necessarily feeling it.

That may not always help when the prepped-up warrior comes for their item back and you can't effectively run them off or distract them, but in many fights the mage simply has to work the warrior into a scenario where his potions are going to fail long before their wands are, for example.

Similarly, a warrior is both much more limited in the total # of ticks worth of certain preps he can carry as well as where he can get those preps from, the latter also giving his opponents the advantage of knowing where he's likely going to go to resupply.

OnewingedangelTue 09-May-17 04:49 PM
Member since 22nd Jul 2009
447 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#68079, "Unfortunately then you have people like me"
In response to Reply #22

You know, those of us who have the potential to beat these power combos (My last invoker), but make stupid decisions, and are just too lazy/not fast enough to catch them as they recollect their preps, despite knowing where they are.

DrehirTue 09-May-17 10:02 PM
Member since 19th Jul 2015
85 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#68080, "RE: STSF"
In response to Reply #19

I would consider STSF the bane of shapeshifters, as I always have.

Some builds are really good against certain specs, and STSF is really good against shapeshifters.

Shapeshifters are a little limited in their choices in edges, but personally I'd avoid a STSF warrior at all costs. I've fought them with shifters, and sometimes got lucky, but not without help.

Shifters are good for some things, but not a lot of other things.

SideStriderTue 23-May-17 08:06 PM
Member since 30th Dec 2007
208 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#68241, "RE: STSF"
In response to Reply #24

In my personal opinion, note opinion, STSF is one of the lamest overly used legacies. I personally think it retarded the amount of ability that it gives a warrior over so many other legacies, that and the fact it's fairly similar to martial trance. Which again is stupid and the large advantage it gives the warrior over certain classes, with almost no repercussions against a warrior.

I personally think that charges should

A. Accumulate at a FAR slower rate as the helpful suggests it is for multiple combat with foes, not 8-10 round I win.

B. Lower the variety of abilities. Giving a warrior cut off seems redundant with the amount of lagging ability.

C. Be removed entirely. Can argue all night long about this one, but the game would be better off if the legacy was scrapped.
Note I also mean one or the other, not all of these.

DrehirTue 23-May-17 09:14 PM
Member since 19th Jul 2015
85 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#68242, "RE: STSF"
In response to Reply #29

>A. Accumulate at a FAR slower rate as the helpful suggests it
>is for multiple combat with foes, not 8-10 round I win.

If that happened I think we would need more legacies aimed at elves. Which I'm totally okay with...and you would probably still complain about. Honestly, elves really suck until about 40+. The low HP is horrible at low levels, you know plus vuln iron or mithril. With the right gear, it is okay but still.

>B. Lower the variety of abilities. Giving a warrior cut off
>seems redundant with the amount of lagging ability.

I think the cut off ability gives you the advantage of using a spec that doesnt have any lagging ability, such as sword or dagger. Most characters can fly or have enlarge/reduce to avoid their other lag options. I dont have access to stats, but I'd assume most elves are sword or dagger. There are exceptions. With low str some of the heavier options are out such as polearm and most axes.

>C. Be removed entirely. Can argue all night long about this
>one, but the game would be better off if the legacy was
>scrapped.
>Note I also mean one or the other, not all of these.

Really your only direct counter is to kill them quickly or use an edge that I have no idea how effective it is. Maybe it does need slight balancing. But I'd rather see more interesting options than see it taken away entirely.

IsildurTue 23-May-17 10:41 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
#68243, "RE: STSF"
In response to Reply #30

I can see both sides to this. STSF shines in certain scenarios, and is pretty useless in other scenarios. When it shines it seems broken.

If you *did* want to tone it down, which I'm not sure I agree is actually necessary (but also wouldn't whine about if it happened), I can think of three ways:

1. Make it charge more slowly,
2. Remove the "cutoff" effect but leave everything else the same,
3. Keep the charge rate the same, but make the non-cutoff benefits less powerful when fully charged.

I agree elves/drow need *something* that caters to them, because otherwise why wouldn't you play an arial instead?

That said, STSF in its current form might actually tilt that pendulum too far in the other direction. Why play an arial when I could be a STSF elf/drow?

HumbertTue 09-May-17 08:41 AM
Member since 13th Jun 2009
179 posts
#68073, "Some advice for shifter vs STSF"
In response to Reply #0

Hoysepis stomped my decked STSF sword War Master Altariel with impunity more or less. I'm going to tell you how he did it.

Locate STSF (helps if you have air form). Attack using offence form. Is STSF packing more than 20% dam reduction (0% if they're decked and you have less than 1000 hp)? If yes, flee and do not fight them for 12 hours. If no, beat the crap out of them with rake/smash etc.

After 12 hours, locate STSF, repeat again.

You need: >1000 hp, and ABS.

Another concern: can STSF maledict? If yes, pack some +str/dex. Flee if str/dex gets nuked too badly and they're not almost dead with you at high hp.

KalageadonTue 09-May-17 03:16 PM
Member since 23rd Oct 2003
1043 posts
#68076, "You hit the nail on the head there."
In response to Reply #18

They need a way of doing damage outside of melee in general terms. Not all forms have that. Jaguar, Tiger, Dire Wolf, Gator and the large majority of other forms do not have a big damage skill like rake or smash that will both lag the STSF but also land and cause any significant damage. I'm not saying STSF is unbeatable but it really shines against most shifters for this reason.

A lot of the shifter downgrades over the years have been because shifters had access to an extra large HP pool and lagging pet via Scion, in my opinion, they could do with an un-nerfing now that it's gone. But, having said that, the staff likely sees more bang for their buck devoting time to other resources.

IsildurMon 08-May-17 07:51 PM
5969 posts
#68063, "RE: STSF"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Mon 08-May-17 07:53 PM

If you're who I think you are, then it might bear noting that the STSF warrior you were fighting shows up in the CF twitter feed fairly regularly, and not because he's owning face.

Random shapeshifter 323 (Anonymous)Mon 08-May-17 08:37 PM
Charter member
#68065, "RE: STSF"
In response to Reply #9

I'm less concerned with a specific character than I am with the wasted edge points.

UmironMon 08-May-17 07:26 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1495 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#68059, "RE: STSF"
In response to Reply #0

>Does STSF go off of a forms INT or the shapeshifter's INT?
>
>I'm asking because I recently fought a warrior with STSF and
>about 10 rounds into our first encounter, I couldn't flee.
>This is *after* taking the unpredictable edge.
>
>Are those charges supposed to build that fast? Hard to imagine
>fighting a STSF without the edge (assuming there's a
>difference). And I imagine the net result for most would be to
>avoid that person for the rest of your login.

The bonus against STSF that Predictable gives is based on wisdom so it suffers from the same disadvantage many forms do because of their intelligence. I wouldn't take it on a shapeshifter.

>Lastly, to anyone playing STSF warriors, it seems pretty
>childish to taunt someone for not fighting you a second or
>third time. No one owes you another battle especially when
>they cannot flee/dodge/parry/hit you. If you want more action,
>don't pick STSF next time.

Sometimes that's just the player being a douche, but more often than not it's not that they actually believe it but rather that it's good strategy to taunt you because you might let your emotions get the better of you and hand them a PK win. What are you, chicken?

Random shapeshifter 323 (Anonymous)Mon 08-May-17 07:40 PM
Charter member
#68061, "That's the kind.."
In response to Reply #6

That's the kind of info I hate learning after I choose an edge. I wouldn't choose it either in retrospect.

Thanks

Random shapeshifter 323 (Anonymous)Mon 08-May-17 07:40 PM
Charter member
#68062, "In fact..."
In response to Reply #6

It would be humane to make this edge unavailable to shifters as no one would choose it were they informed.

MurphyMon 08-May-17 11:26 PM
Member since 30th Dec 2010
1639 posts
#68067, "I felt it was useful."
In response to Reply #8

But I'll reiterate that I never felt STSF warriors were that bad to begin with. I took it because there were many STSF warriors around at the time, not because they were kicking my ass.

It did make it noticeably easier to roflstomp them (or escape from them in case they were village scouts and had critical hit).

KstatidaWed 10-May-17 02:43 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#68081, "What use does that have?"
In response to Reply #6

Most high wis races are high int as well (save for centaur/minotaur). So that edge really does nothing of use for races who suffer from STSF (like giants, though I think they can't take it).

IsildurWed 10-May-17 11:45 AM
5969 posts
#68082, "RE: STSF"
In response to Reply #6

Conceptually, it seems kind of weird that the edge is tied to the WIS stat. I can imagine a character who isn't very wise still being fairly unpredictable.

KstatidaWed 10-May-17 12:00 PM
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#68083, "Yeah, like a goblin raider! :)"
In response to Reply #26
Edited on Wed 10-May-17 12:00 PM

On a serious note, we're not talking about dumb unpredictable, that's about unpredictability in combat, which isn't attainable w/o intelligence and wisdom about combat, that's for sure.

KstatidaWed 10-May-17 12:01 PM
2214 posts
#68084, "Great STSF IDEA!!!"
In response to Reply #27

Reduce STSF rate against tipsy/drunk opponents!

DestuviusMon 08-May-17 06:18 PM
Member since 08th Oct 2013
1012 posts
#68055, "Form stats nt"
In response to Reply #0

nt

Random shapeshifter 323 (Anonymous)Mon 08-May-17 06:41 PM
Charter member
#68057, "Since the avg form int = 17..."
In response to Reply #2

Does that make unpredictable sort of a waste for a shifter? I mean, the avg STSF probably has 23-25 int. Some top tier forms are 15 int. avg. is probably 17.

I can see physical attribs changing when you shift, but I don't know why being a different shape makes you dumb and foolish. Except that when forms were introduced (transmuters were split into 2 sub-classes) STSF wasn't a thing.

TMNSMon 08-May-17 07:04 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#68058, "Some of the recent changes have def made shifters more ..."
In response to Reply #4
Edited on Mon 08-May-17 07:06 PM

For me, the "worst" change is the extra movement lag + cost when above weight, especially since some forms can have strength of 16 or less (especially defensive forms) and you basically have to pretend you're a dex dodge warrior/melee and keep weight < 50%.

STSF has always been a nightmare for shifters though. I remember Quas's drow zerker used to straight own my Air/Offense shifters (one of like 20 I've played) face clean off. And that was in like 2010.

Edited to add: Why you gotta think about some outside-the-box tactics to kill those STSF warriors. Camel can blind (which is money for many reasons), you can always start off out of form with a wither/plague/crimson wand to try and make them drop their weapons (since STSF warriors usually need ~+12 in strength gear if they don't want to drop weapons in any sort of drawn out fight) if they aren't geared for tons of strength.

Of course, you can always die because you're an unshifted shifter (even with haste + partial shifts, regardless of what Kstats thinks) but yeah.

MurphyMon 08-May-17 11:18 PM
1639 posts
#68066, "This isn't my experience at all"
In response to Reply #5

Only two things are a nightmare to shifters: village scouts and necromancers.

It definitely helps if the scout has STSF and Space because these make it more difficult for the shifter to escape. But it's critical hit that makes the shifter want to escape.

Granted, it may depend on your forms. I don't have experience with all of them obviously.

Random shapeshifter 323 (Anonymous)Mon 08-May-17 11:30 PM
Charter member
#68068, "Ug. Necro v. shifters"
In response to Reply #11

They have three spells and if they land any of them, you are finished. And in form, you have the int/wis of a storm giant of course.

Forget: I think their forget will outlast your mana in form and when you run out, you die. Last time I had forget on a shifter, it wasn't close. Granted it was from a mushroom.

Sleep: You'll then have forget cast on you in case you don't die to crimson scourge, etc. And you definitely won't outlast forget in this case.

PWK: of course.

I've seen many shapeshifters who will not fight a necro (much less a mummy/wight/lich) for any reason because of this.

TMNSTue 09-May-17 02:26 AM
2670 posts
#68070, "Depending on the ability of a lagging opener..."
In response to Reply #13

...certain necros aren't as scary.

I mean, Scarab Leader Mummy is still a fight you generally want to avoid the #### out of, but yeah.

Lion + Gorilla + Orang + Rhino + any form with spell evasion has some chances against Joe Necro. Again, if you're trying to fight Lich Emperor Gaspare with a shifter, good luck (I tried...I died...but I made him flee TWICE!!!!!!!!!!!).

MurphyTue 09-May-17 06:47 AM
1639 posts
#68072, "Yes, I did mean undead."
In response to Reply #15

Spectres aren't too scary, especially if you're utility and they aren't Dread Lord.

TMNSTue 09-May-17 02:24 AM
2670 posts
#68069, "Some of us shifter players like to live dangerously Mur..."
In response to Reply #11

They aren't all RoboCop.

MurphyTue 09-May-17 06:46 AM
1639 posts
#68071, "This does not work against STSF"
In response to Reply #14

You can't rope-a-dope them the way you can rope-a-dope other builds that are stronger than you.

To beat them, you need to press the advantage that all shapeshifters have: ability to outprep a warrior.

LhydiaMon 08-May-17 06:05 PM
2379 posts
#68054, "Man I hope nobody ever uses throw on you. n/t"
In response to Reply #0

gr

Random shapeshifter 323 (Anonymous)Mon 08-May-17 06:27 PM
Charter member
#68056, "It's hard to throw a shifter. n/t"
In response to Reply #1

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #68053 Previous topic | Next topic