Subject: "Distention (think that's the term)" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #636
Show all folders

RacliFri 04-Apr-03 12:30 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
70 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#636, "Distention (think that's the term)"

I've noticed a mentality lately, or maybe it just me, the IMMs have of wanting to improve RP on the MUD. Now, I'm fully aware that this is also a PK MUD. Heck, all my chars up to now have had close to NO RP. But there's one thing I've never done, and I find it annoying... and that's level sitting. It gets really old and very frustrating when you've been killed by the same person for the fourth time, and they haven't ranked in your past three charaters lifetimes. I just want to suggest maybe havein a multiplier for distention the longer you level sit. This will keep people (mostly thieves/assassins/APs) from level sitting and killing every time they get the chance. Not a "remove g all corpse" or "multi-killing should be banned" post, just an idea I feel is valid if we really want to move from people wit no RP (this is just from my perspective... no words before or after killing me, which was done more than once. I try not to bring knowledge from old characters to new ones though) from level sitting and ruining other players' experience, notably, mine.

--SIG
Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights make a left

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Distention (think that's the term), nepenthe, 04-Apr-03 04:08 PM, #4
Reply RE: Distention (think that's the term), Racli, 04-Apr-03 04:52 PM, #7
Reply Agreed and..., Boldereth, 05-Apr-03 10:06 PM, #10
Reply RE: Distention (think that's the term), DwE, 04-Apr-03 02:24 PM, #3
Reply RE: Distention (think that's the term), RealShea, 04-Apr-03 12:44 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Distention (think that's the term), Racli, 04-Apr-03 01:30 PM, #2
          Reply RE: Distention (think that's the term), nepenthe, 04-Apr-03 04:19 PM, #5
          Reply RE: Distention (think that's the term), Racli, 04-Apr-03 04:50 PM, #6
          Reply RE: Distention (think that's the term), RealShea, 04-Apr-03 09:52 PM, #8
               Reply RE: Distention (think that's the term), Racli, 05-Apr-03 07:55 AM, #9

nepentheFri 04-Apr-03 04:08 PM
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#640, "RE: Distention (think that's the term)"
In response to Reply #0

I'm satisfied with the distention formulae as is. If anything, there may be cases in which they're a little too harsh on killers in my opinion.

Level sitting isn't an option indefinitely, and that's enough to make me smiley.

Honestly, if you're killed by the same person at the same level 3 characters in a row, you have to be doing something very wrong.

RacliFri 04-Apr-03 04:52 PM
70 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#643, "RE: Distention (think that's the term)"
In response to Reply #4

lol or not ranking fast enough. He always has 6 or 7 ranks when it happens, but I understand.

p.s. - I also take pride that it only happened 2 out of the 3 times

--SIG

BolderethSat 05-Apr-03 10:06 PM
197 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#659, "Agreed and..."
In response to Reply #4

The urge to rush towards hero does not necessarily have to be uniform to connotate good roleplay. There are people who could probably advance in their field in real life if they really wanted to, yet are happy and content with where they are. On the same note, if I'm a hero for 200 hours and then see some guy suddenly hero who I've never heard of, who deletes next day with 80 hours on his char then I'm going to be disappointed. I'd rather interact, do my killing, do my RP'ing all the way up even if it takes me a bit longer then per quota.

DwEFri 04-Apr-03 02:24 PM
358 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#639, "RE: Distention (think that's the term)"
In response to Reply #0

>I've noticed a mentality lately, or maybe it just me, the
>IMMs have of wanting to improve RP on the MUD.

If by lately you mean that last six or seven years, I agree.

>I just want to suggest maybe havein a multiplier for distention
>the longer you level sit.

Adding a time component to that would just screw with people who
mob-die or solo rank for RP reasons, with no benefit that I see.

It doesn't matter if they're level-sitting or not, they still
have to kill enough to get distended in the first place, and
the current threshold appears to be working just fine.

Just because you have been killed by the same guy who's at the
same level for a long time doesn't exactly make him a candidate
for distention. Maybe you're the only person he can kill.

RealSheaFri 04-Apr-03 12:44 PM
68 posts
#637, "RE: Distention (think that's the term)"
In response to Reply #0

help DISTENTION

Note: Not based on level sitting time, but level sitting kills pretty much. Also note: If you are killed by the same person three times with three characters, it's pretty much your fault since you should know to avoid them.

Unless of course you're going for the 'I haven't met this person yet' RP with each character.

say Hello MassMurderer, how are you doing?

You have been killed.

get all corpse

RacliFri 04-Apr-03 01:30 PM
70 posts
#638, "RE: Distention (think that's the term)"
In response to Reply #1

Next time you decide to respond to a post, add some useful information instead of reiterating something that's been said over and over. But let me respond to yours anyway, so you can step off your pedestal for a quick second...

1) Read my post oer. I know it's not based on level sitting, that's what I proposed. I've read the helpfile, I know what it does.

2) Give me the location of a super secret detect hidden potion so that I can see a rogue coming, and a forget wand so he can't keep me from fleeing, and sure, it'll be my fault then

DUH! If it was a wariror of course I'm going to stay out of their way. Let's be more constructive instead of repeating things in situations where what you're repeating is irrelevant. That or you can just stop responding, that's always an option.

--SIG

nepentheFri 04-Apr-03 04:19 PM
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#641, "RE: Distention (think that's the term)"
In response to Reply #2

>1) Read my post oer. I know it's not based on level sitting,
>that's what I proposed. I've read the helpfile, I know what it
>does.

That's not entirely true. Distention is much more brutal to level sitters than characters who simply kill a lot. In fact, it's probably fair to say that level sitting to PK was the #1 phenomena we wanted to discourage by introducing distention.

>2) Give me the location of a super secret detect hidden potion
>so that I can see a rogue coming, and a forget wand so he
>can't keep me from fleeing, and sure, it'll be my fault then

I'm not sure if you'll take this as constructive, but it's meant that way.

There is always, always, always, always, always something you can do to make it harder for the same person to keep killing you. For example, if you're worried about a thief (as you mention above) there are no small number of places in the game where they can't hide, and/or can't reasonably sneak up on you. Does that mean you might have to avoid Galadon, the Eastern Road, and/or your levelling ground of choice? It might. Does it beat re-equipping? It probably does.

RacliFri 04-Apr-03 04:50 PM
70 posts
#642, "RE: Distention (think that's the term)"
In response to Reply #5

oh no, this was definately constructive. The last post was more of just saying the same "it's your fault, avoid them" line. Guess I gotta stay away from that one place over there with the real good EXP for a while. Tough though... asked around, he wasn't on, and them BAM! Anyway, thanks

--SIG

RealSheaFri 04-Apr-03 09:52 PM
68 posts
#650, "RE: Distention (think that's the term)"
In response to Reply #2

1) Your original post sounded more like a: "I propose a distention type idea" more than, "I've read the distention help file and don't agree with how it works" kind of post.

2) I wasn't meaning to be a prick or anything. I was simply stating that (and echoing Nepenthe here) every PK situation has a counter to it. Getting killed by that air form shifter, there are places you can hide from them. Getting killed by that thief? Head to the forests. Getting killed by that ranger, stay indoors. Or, as in all cases, gather a bunch of friends and take them out. In that case, it is really the fault of whoever is killed. Sorry, but if you don't believe me, go over to the unofficial site and take a look at all of the logs where the comments in them are like: "Whoa, I almost killed them last time here, and came back to find them right back in the same place." That's all I was trying to say.

RacliSat 05-Apr-03 07:55 AM
70 posts
#657, "RE: Distention (think that's the term)"
In response to Reply #8

they were the last thing in the back of my mind because everyone I asked said he wasn't around. Then, like I said, BAM. PDAS (post deah annoyance symdrome) gets the best of me sometimes

--SIG

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #636 Previous topic | Next topic