Subject: "Make the time spent on cabal spaces not count against w..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #60348
Show all folders

A caballed ranger (Anonymous)Sat 15-Aug-15 05:41 PM
Charter member
#60348, "Make the time spent on cabal spaces not count against wilderness timer?"

For example, if you're raiding, say, Empire, you're spending some serious time out of the wilds. Please make it not count against your timer? It only forces me and others like me to compensate by sitting in camo someplace wild for a very significant time after each raid. Arguably, you'd want to promote strife and raids and retrievals. Would also immensely help Tribunal rangers I think and any rangers who need to defend non-Outlander cabals. Pretty please?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Thats not accurate at all, Destuvius, 15-Aug-15 08:05 PM, #3
Reply 3/4, Tsunami, 16-Aug-15 01:00 AM, #4
Reply It's really not as bad as this is made out. Unless.., Raltevio, 17-Aug-15 02:09 PM, #10
     Reply RE: It's really not as bad as this is made out. Unless...., Tsunami, 17-Aug-15 05:58 PM, #12
          Reply RE: It's really not as bad as this is made out. Unless...., Raltevio, 18-Aug-15 04:06 AM, #16
               Reply ROI, Tsunami, 18-Aug-15 09:03 AM, #17
Reply Well, it's been my experience, The original poster (Anonymous), 18-Aug-15 07:53 PM, #20
Reply Nuke it, Tsunami, 15-Aug-15 05:47 PM, #1
     Reply I'd support this, incognito, 15-Aug-15 06:00 PM, #2
     Reply Seconded., Calion, 16-Aug-15 02:23 PM, #5
     Reply RE: Seconded., incognito, 17-Aug-15 01:27 AM, #6
          Reply Yep, Tsunami, 17-Aug-15 08:44 AM, #7
     Reply Not happening, sorry. (nt), Umiron, 17-Aug-15 12:55 PM, #8
     Reply Too hard?, Tsunami, 17-Aug-15 01:37 PM, #9
          Reply Not interested. (nt), Umiron, 17-Aug-15 02:12 PM, #11
     Reply Strongly Agree with the two Imms here., Polmier (Anonymous), 17-Aug-15 07:54 PM, #13
          Reply Confusion, Tsunami, 17-Aug-15 08:06 PM, #14
          Reply RE: Confusion, Polmier (Anonymous), 18-Aug-15 10:57 AM, #18
               Reply Me and you, Tsunami, 18-Aug-15 11:35 AM, #19
          Reply Gameplay, incognito, 18-Aug-15 12:11 AM, #15

DestuviusSat 15-Aug-15 08:05 PM
Member since 08th Oct 2013
1012 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#60351, "Thats not accurate at all"
In response to Reply #0

And before you try to say I just don't understand, or that I didn't experience it, I did. If you are losing your "at home" in the wilderness time you are spending a lot of time doing things out of the wild other than raiding.

TsunamiSun 16-Aug-15 12:59 AM
Member since 25th Mar 2008
1509 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#60354, "3/4"
In response to Reply #3
Edited on Sun 16-Aug-15 01:00 AM

3/4 of your time must be spent in the wilds to be "at home." It's entirely possible that a long lived character in an underdog cabal spends more than 1/4 of their time attempting to raid/retrieve. Especially if you're playing a ranger that doesn't have great civilized options like Bedouins do.

I don't think his argument or solution is a very good one for different reasons, but your response is no good counter either.

Much easier to scrap the whole dumb idea of wilderness timer.

PS: Furthermore, even if he is including other non-wilds activities, it could easily still be the wide margin that is taking him over the cusp.

RaltevioMon 17-Aug-15 02:08 PM
Member since 07th Jul 2015
134 posts
#60363, "It's really not as bad as this is made out. Unless.."
In response to Reply #4
Edited on Mon 17-Aug-15 02:09 PM

1) You're spending a lot of time leveling up in non-wilderness areas.
2) You're spending a lot of time sitting in civilized areas.
3) You're hunting people consistently on roads etc.

Maintaining a 75% wilds time isn't that hard, even with the additional condition that you're not Outlander.

With a Tribunal it might be a struggle, or need to carefully watch the timer. That's about it.

Also, there is an option for non-conventional ranger cabals like explorer, which, in essence, does precisely what everyone is asking for here.

One reason why I (personally) tend to be against these types of suggestions, other than the code work necessary which diverts resources away from other projects, is that this is a hard-wired class dynamic which, to some extent, enforces a style of RP on someone. Breaking down that dynamic might seem like an irritation for a lot of players, but would remove an incentive to play the class a specific way. Experience has shown, that in many cases, removing such incentives tend to diminish the flavor of how the class is played.

(Take, for instance, recent discussions on Villager Apps using healers, or issues I have personally seen where paladins skirt their code. Removing this barrier, in my opinion would be a sizeable leap towards converting the ranger class from a wilderness based ranger into a warrior with a handful of wilderness skills.)

TsunamiMon 17-Aug-15 05:54 PM
1509 posts
#60367, "RE: It's really not as bad as this is made out. Unless...."
In response to Reply #10
Edited on Mon 17-Aug-15 05:58 PM

>Maintaining a 75% wilds time isn't that hard, even with the
>additional condition that you're not Outlander.

I'm aware. Ranger being what I play 90% of the time. That's why I think the original complaint is unfounded. The response just wasn't a good one either. That doesn't change the fact that wilderness timer is a nonsensical mechanic.

>Also, there is an option for non-conventional ranger cabals
>like explorer, which, in essence, does precisely what everyone
>is asking for here.

Wanderlust doesn't do that. You still need 75% wilds time to be "at home" and receive the benefits of "at home". Wanderlust raises the floor, not the roof. In other words, you suffer less for lots of civilized time, but believe me even "comfortable" is no picnic.

>One reason why I (personally) tend to be against these types
>of suggestions, other than the code work necessary which
>diverts resources away from other projects, is that this is a
>hard-wired class dynamic which, to some extent, enforces a
>style of RP on someone. Breaking down that dynamic might seem
>like an irritation for a lot of players, but would remove an
>incentive to play the class a specific way. Experience has
>shown, that in many cases, removing such incentives tend to
>diminish the flavor of how the class is played.
>
> Take, for instance, recent discussions on Villager Apps using
>healers, or issues I have personally seen where paladins skirt
>their code. Removing this barrier, in my opinion would be a
>sizeable leap towards converting the ranger class from a
>wilderness based ranger into a warrior with a handful of
>wilderness skills.)

For me, the primary distinction here is that I don't think of rangers as limited to (enforced RP?) hermits and Outlanders. Rangers are very much warriors with a handful of wilderness skills/spells in exchange for the loss of weapon specs. The wilderness timer doesn't change that. There is no reason a ranger shouldn't make a great Tribunal. In fact, the classical ranger (fantasy in general, not CF) fits quite well as a Magistrate.

I get the argument you are trying to make, but fail to see any benefit to the mechanic. The only thing I can tell it accomplishes is unnecessarily limiting the range of themes a player can create for the ranger class. Something you seem to have indicated as a good thing, which I also fail to see how it could be.

(EDIT: This goes extra since the creation of ranger specs. Makes sense to force a BeastMaster, savage, or animist to spend time in the wilds. Not so much for the Explorer, Hunter, or Survivalist.)

Useless conjecture it may be, since the hammer already dropped.

RaltevioTue 18-Aug-15 03:57 AM
Member since 07th Jul 2015
134 posts
#60374, "RE: It's really not as bad as this is made out. Unless...."
In response to Reply #12
Edited on Tue 18-Aug-15 04:06 AM

Wanderlust doesn't do that. You still need 75% wilds time to be "at home" and receive the benefits of "at home". Wanderlust raises the floor, not the roof. In other words, you suffer less for lots of civilized time, but believe me even "comfortable" is no picnic.

I know that, but what people are asking would essentially make one of the largest perks of explorer redundant. Where wanderlust is concerned running at 80% capacity* and being able to spend as much time as you like in any terrain isn't really a crap deal. It's just not the 100% in any terrain that some people would lobby for.

RE: selectively wilderness timer-ing subclasses, I just don't see the return on investment to code something like that? We want to avoid any more complexity in subclasses, ideally. Explaining wilderness time to new players gets complicated if you need a chart pointing out which subclasses need to adhere to it and which don't, in addition to skewing class balance, invalidating explorer etc. I'm personally for not turning the game into a complex simulator, although occasionally the burden of pointing out some of my ideas are overly complex falls on other people too.

*Disclaimer: arbitrary figure here, not specific game mechanics info.

TsunamiTue 18-Aug-15 09:03 AM
1509 posts
#60378, "ROI"
In response to Reply #16

>I know that, but what people are asking would essentially make
>one of the largest perks of explorer redundant. Where
>wanderlust is concerned running at 80% capacity* and being
>able to spend as much time as you like in any terrain isn't
>really a crap deal. It's just not the 100% in any terrain that
>some people would lobby for.

Seems more like a minor, unimportant perk to me. Perspective I guess.

>RE: selectively wilderness timer-ing subclasses, I just don't
>see the return on investment to code something like that? We
>want to avoid any more complexity in subclasses, ideally.
>Explaining wilderness time to new players gets complicated if
>you need a chart pointing out which subclasses need to adhere
>to it and which don't, in addition to skewing class balance,
>invalidating explorer etc. I'm personally for not turning the
>game into a complex simulator, although occasionally the
>burden of pointing out some of my ideas are overly complex
>falls on other people too.

ROI is the only good answer so far, to not ripping out the whole mechanic. Unless it's flipping a switch, it's not worth the time and effort.

I have to continue the argument though, of course. You know how I love the "new player" point so much. I've yet to meet a newbie ranger that gets how it works currently, so if it's an argument against subclass breakdown, it's an argument against current system too.

The original poster (Anonymous)Tue 18-Aug-15 07:53 PM
Charter member
#60387, "Well, it's been my experience"
In response to Reply #3

I never ranked in civilized, never had a long spat of eq-hunting of civilized, etc. My only civilized activities are using the roads (not hunting on them, but a beeline from A to B) and spending time in cabals, whether it's raiding or retrieving.

I don't see why not counting the cabal spaces against rangers is a non-starter. I'm not talking about any civilized, just specifically about cabal spaces.

TsunamiSat 15-Aug-15 05:47 PM
1509 posts
#60349, "Nuke it"
In response to Reply #0

One step further. Just do away with the mechanic. It's silly.

incognitoSat 15-Aug-15 06:00 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#60350, "I'd support this"
In response to Reply #1

Because I view it as win win if rangers come out of the wilds more.

More chances for their enemies to pk them. But the ranger had taken that into consideration and deems it worth the risk.

Instead the ranger knows he will suffer if he doesn't keep it to a minimum.

That said, I think if time raiding is a problem for you as a ranger you are probably being too power gamey. Raiding time isn't that significant.

Attachment #1, ( file)

CalionSun 16-Aug-15 02:15 PM
367 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#60358, "Seconded."
In response to Reply #1
Edited on Sun 16-Aug-15 02:23 PM

>One step further. Just do away with the mechanic. It's
>silly.

Yeah, forcing rangers to spend a large chunk of their time in the wilds is counterproductive to interaction. Besides, it's not like they'd have any advantage in civilized, quite the opposite. What's next, mages needing to study 75% of the time in libraries or forget their spells? =)

(Side note edit: if this was done, wanderlust would need to be tweaked)

incognitoMon 17-Aug-15 01:27 AM
4495 posts
#60359, "RE: Seconded."
In response to Reply #5

Wanderlust would still be fine, since it also allows different terrains to be treated as home terrain?

TsunamiMon 17-Aug-15 08:44 AM
1509 posts
#60360, "Yep"
In response to Reply #6

The higher "floor" of wilderness time is a side benefit of wanderlust.

The main one is all terrains counting as home much of the time.

UmironMon 17-Aug-15 12:55 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1495 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#60361, "Not happening, sorry. (nt)"
In response to Reply #1

nt

TsunamiMon 17-Aug-15 01:37 PM
1509 posts
#60362, "Too hard?"
In response to Reply #8

If you're scared, say you're scared.

#halflings

UmironMon 17-Aug-15 02:12 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1495 posts
#60364, "Not interested. (nt)"
In response to Reply #9

nt

Polmier (Anonymous)Mon 17-Aug-15 07:54 PM
Charter member
#60368, "Strongly Agree with the two Imms here."
In response to Reply #1

Wilderness time is important in my opinion to the non-explorer ranger. A rangers skills are wilderness oriented and should be a function of how much time spent in the wilderness. The rp reason would be the more time they spend in the wilderness the better the would fight, camo, etc. in the wilderness. I am confused as to why everyone would not feel this way.

I would be in favor of more of this (similar thing on druid, thief and assassin hidden, etc.).

TsunamiMon 17-Aug-15 08:06 PM
1509 posts
#60369, "Confusion"
In response to Reply #13

I don't feel that way because it doesn't make sense in the over all theme of the game.

Unless of course, we take your route, and add more like it. Which would be cool too. Skills degrade if they aren't used. Mages have to spend time sitting in a tower reading spell books. Etc.

Let's do this.

Polmier (Anonymous)Tue 18-Aug-15 10:57 AM
Charter member
#60379, "RE: Confusion"
In response to Reply #14

I would love love more of this.

I do not think 75% is a high number.

That being said I fear I would be playing with even fewer people at some point if there was more of this.

TsunamiTue 18-Aug-15 11:35 AM
1509 posts
#60380, "Me and you"
In response to Reply #18

That's all that will be left

I'll be chopping trees in the forest to build my ranger cabin and you'll be sitting atop your mage tower scrying me for the PK.

incognitoTue 18-Aug-15 12:11 AM
4495 posts
#60371, "Gameplay"
In response to Reply #13

Sometimes as a ranger you'd like to take the risk of ranking in civilised, say. Perhaps for rp reasons, perhaps because your group mates shine there.

But you know if you do you might be gimped.

So that's annoying as a ranger.

It's also annoying as someone who wants to pk a ranger.

Hence me thinking win win if rangers at least have the option to come out of the wilds as often as the want without suffering a mechanical penalty.

If I recall correctly the timer may work at area level rather than room level so doesn't always make good sense.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #60348 Previous topic | Next topic