Subject: "Arials and inherent things" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #589
Show all folders

KorranSun 30-Mar-03 08:02 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
20 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#589, "Arials and inherent things"

I was thinking about arials an inherent abilities. And well when I think of arials I imagine the front of heroes of might and magic 3. You know the angel with the flaming sword, well I imagine them like that but with feathers and bird type heads. Well anyway, I was thinking that if arials have such large wings to support their weight and all their armor then they gotta be big an strong right?

Well I was thinking what if they had an inherenet ability, one that you have to use yourself, not one thats auto happen, whereby they pulse their wings real hard in combat. Much like the wing blast things dragons do. Except that the damage grows with each rank as your wings are older and stronger. Also make it so afterwords the arials are like earthbound for a tick or so, maybe also depend this on the damage done/rank. Have the damage and attack somewhat like buffet maybe, as in it can blast people out of the room and have it as an area ability. Maybe also have a tick timer on it so you cant blast after blast after blast. Maybe like twice the length of the earthbind from their wings being so sore and tired from the effort.

For example at hero make it do say OBLITS against flying people, DEVS or DEMOS against normal, 2 round lag from doing it, 2 hour earthbind + another hour to actually start flying again (much like earthbind recovery) while then also having a 4 hour timer on being able to do it again or such.

Is this a good idea or overpowered or crap? I mean there are prolly lots of things wrong with it but its just my idea

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply If I were designing this one:, Quislet, 30-Mar-03 12:54 PM, #1
     Reply Well maybe, Korran, 31-Mar-03 12:37 AM, #2
          Reply RE: Well maybe, Quislet, 31-Mar-03 08:37 AM, #3
               Reply RE: Well maybe, Ululari, 01-Apr-03 01:52 PM, #4
                    Reply RE: Well maybe, Quislet, 01-Apr-03 04:34 PM, #5
                         Reply RE: Well maybe, Ululari, 01-Apr-03 05:06 PM, #6
                              Reply Or instead of all of this..., GinGa, 08-Apr-03 03:54 PM, #7

QuisletSun 30-Mar-03 12:54 PM
240 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#596, "If I were designing this one:"
In response to Reply #0

I like the idea quite a bit, so to hopefully promote it getting into the idea pool, here's my take on it.

Directed only to your current combat target, or against anything already fighting you. The whole room seems a bit much for a racial ability, so does that large amount of damage.

A one tick earthbind like effect, where the arial simply isn't flying. (you ought to have to brace yourself for something like this) Either two or three ticks between uses.

Although Arial wings don't seem to be strong enough to soar heights like air form shapeshifters, they're plenty strong enough to keep them mostly aloft while fully armored, so could certainly produce quite a blast of air.

Maybe with this there'd be less complaints about having no skills or spells to play with at low level.

KorranMon 31-Mar-03 12:37 AM
20 posts
#602, "Well maybe"
In response to Reply #1

But I think that damage at hero isnt all that bad for 2 to 3 rounds lag as well as ticks where they are earthbound. I mean at hero almost every class has at least one skill/sup/spell that does the same if not more damage.

I was thinking of still having it at low levels just really really weak, say like at rank 1 it does scratches, 10 it does decimates and so on. Like call lightning for example. Thats piss weak at low level compared to at hero where it can do some pretty nasty things. But yeah you can see my general idea.

QuisletMon 31-Mar-03 08:37 AM
240 posts
#605, "RE: Well maybe"
In response to Reply #2

I was thinking of lower damage mostly on the basis that it's a racial ability that appears to be far more damaging than, say, kick. Maybe instead of a high damage, lag the opponent slightly like trip does, except have it do worse to fliers instead of nothing to them.

UlulariTue 01-Apr-03 01:52 PM
120 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#611, "RE: Well maybe"
In response to Reply #3

Hmm... how about like dirt kick, but shorter (for a round or two -- dust, water or the like in the eyes, if there's any lying about, or just blinking if there isn't) and maybe half a round of lag, and damage on the order of dirt kick. Should only lag the arial for a round or maybe just under (if terrain is air).

In my opinion, something like this has the right kind of "feel" -- rapid, quick, flighty...

QuisletTue 01-Apr-03 04:34 PM
240 posts
#614, "RE: Well maybe"
In response to Reply #4

>Hmm... how about like dirt kick, but shorter (for a round or
>two -- dust, water or the like in the eyes, if there's any
>lying about, or just blinking if there isn't) and maybe half a
>round of lag, and damage on the order of dirt kick. Should
>only lag the arial for a round or maybe just under (if terrain
>is air).
>
>In my opinion, something like this has the right kind of
>"feel" -- rapid, quick, flighty...

While I could see a dragon doing that, it seems that it would take quite a bit of rapid and strong wing flapping to build up any decent sized amount of dust or dirt. One good hard flap with both wings knocking someone over is what I was thinking with the trip idea, but it's not all that much better in the logic department.

Maybe some other kind of arial ability. I always thought they should get the occasional airborne strike with their feet/talons. Or maybe wield extra weapons with them. I could imagine a sneaky strike with a dagger while fencing with their arms. If anyone could grip a weapon with their feet or keep their balance on one foot to use it, that would be the arials. It might be beyond their abilities too. Who knows?

UlulariTue 01-Apr-03 05:06 PM
120 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#616, "RE: Well maybe"
In response to Reply #5

Being able to use a weapon with kick would be way cool, but maybe too powerful er... I mean, maybe arial feet aren't flexible enough to grasp a weapon properly.

(Yeah, there's plenty of mundane birds who use their feet (and mouth) like hands, but mundane birds only have a single pair of non-wing limbs.)

GinGaTue 08-Apr-03 03:54 PM
996 posts
#693, "Or instead of all of this..."
In response to Reply #6

Why do we have to make arials super-warriors by giving them a racial buffet? Ever thought about how great they are already? Just give them more emotes and make their inherent ability this...

Inherent takeoff - Mr.Arial starts flying with quicker movement in outdoor spaces but higher movement penalties. Nice for a flighty escape. Make them suffer for having fly, cus now it ain't perma! Muha!

inherent land - Well, less tiring and they can use those claws of theirs. Assides, never liked the idea of them flying through a cramped cave though I can see them avoiding trips easily with wings.

Sooo, now the player can rp a bit more by prepping for battle by taking to the skies and soaring about! Doesn't have to be spectacular, they just 'lift off' and I'd be happy. Figured losing a perma-fly can't be too bad since this inherent has given advantages and disadvantages but hey, how do I know the imms don't already have something better planned? I still think trip succeeds too much with dexy chars anyway but now i'm just rambling...

GinGa, brainstormer of the skies!

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #589 Previous topic | Next topic