Subject: "Wood-elves vs. Arials" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #3493
Show all folders

Circuits Edge (inactive user)Fri 16-Jan-04 08:55 AM
Charter member

A few days ago someone, I forgot who, and I were discussing arials and wood elves.

Wood elves have almost identical stats with arials, yet, their xp penalty is much higher, even though they're already neutral.

Why is that? Is it the high charisma? Shouldn't human bards in that case get some massive xp penalty too? Or maybe it's the amazing acute vision, which keeps you relatively safe from one class in the game? No, that couldn't be it, arials have fly, and I'd go with perma-fly over acute vision-type any day.

Vuln wise, vuln_water/lightning is just about as bad as iron, depending on what you fight of course. I guess as a defender, you'd rather have the arial vulns than iron, to give one example.

So why the extra 150 xp?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Wood-elves vs. Arials, incognito, 16-Jan-04 10:06 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Wood-elves vs. Arials, ORB, 16-Jan-04 01:07 PM, #2
          Reply RE: Wood-elves vs. Arials, incognito, 16-Jan-04 04:34 PM, #3
          Reply interesting, incognito, 17-Jan-04 07:43 AM, #5
               Reply RE: interesting, Valguarnera, 17-Jan-04 02:13 PM, #6
                    Reply ahh, not the case, but bad phrasing on my part, incognito, 18-Jan-04 10:25 AM, #7
          Reply I have to disagree here., Vladamir, 16-Jan-04 08:50 PM, #4

incognitoFri 16-Jan-04 10:06 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3496, "RE: Wood-elves vs. Arials"
In response to Reply #0

A few days ago someone, I forgot who, and I were discussing arials and wood elves.

Wood elves have almost identical stats with arials, yet, their xp penalty is much higher, even though they're already neutral.

Why is that? Is it the high charisma? Shouldn't human bards in that case get some massive xp penalty too? Or maybe it's the amazing acute vision, which keeps you relatively safe from one class in the game? No, that couldn't be it, arials have fly, and I'd go with perma-fly over acute vision-type any day.

>Personally I'd take acute vision over perma-fly any day. I can always fly when I want to in game with a non-arial. I can't always see that ranger.

Vuln wise, vuln_water/lightning is just about as bad as iron, depending on what you fight of course. I guess as a defender, you'd rather have the arial vulns than iron, to give one example.

> Not at all. Weapon vulns are much easier for certain classes to defend against. Defensive specs, for example, even though pincers etc are still in the picture. Elemental vulns are much easier for invokers to deal with. You can't just say vuln x is worse than vuln y without thinking of who is going to be dealing with the vuln.

So why the extra 150 xp?

> Partly to keep the race more rare. Partly because wood-elves have something other races cannot get. Arials have something other races can get.

ORBFri 16-Jan-04 01:07 PM
993 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3502, "RE: Wood-elves vs. Arials"
In response to Reply #1

Iron is a much much worse Vuln then water/lightning. Your forgetting it also limits what weapons/armor you use and use of things like iron keys. Also Iron is 10x more prevelant then water and lightning and can not be compensated for like lightning and water to a lesser extent can be. And now with hydrophobia arials can even go underwater for short periods of time.

That which does not kill us,
makes us stronger.

incognitoFri 16-Jan-04 04:29 PM
4495 posts
#3509, "RE: Wood-elves vs. Arials"
In response to Reply #2
Edited on Fri 16-Jan-04 04:34 PM

I fully appreciate iron vuln.

(Bad info snipped.)

Iron vuln on a fighting class is far less dangerous than an elemental vuln (assuming you are not an invoker).

incognitoSat 17-Jan-04 07:43 AM
4495 posts
#3519, "interesting"
In response to Reply #3

care to let me know which bit of that was bad info?

The only bit I can think that might be is saying that wood-elves can get flight whilst arials can't get acute vision, which, if not true, is certainly the case for most players.

ValguarneraSat 17-Jan-04 02:13 PM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3522, "RE: interesting"
In response to Reply #5

"I'm currently playing X", where X is very specific.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

incognitoSun 18-Jan-04 10:25 AM
4495 posts
#3537, "ahh, not the case, but bad phrasing on my part"
In response to Reply #6

I quite often use the first person when putting a case, even if I am not the person in question.

I'm pretty sure that if that post gave the impression of who I was playing, it won't actually be who I am playing, but thanks for removing it just in case I did give something away.

VladamirFri 16-Jan-04 08:50 PM
1179 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#3516, "I have to disagree here."
In response to Reply #2

I'd rather have a metal vuln than an elemental vuln anyday. That weapon can always be taken out of the picture one way or another. Not so for elements.

Now, if vokers or mobs ever get the Cone of Iron spell, I may be concerned.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #3493 Previous topic | Next topic