Subject: "Some Comments on Edges" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #17101
Show all folders

DaevrynFri 16-Mar-07 12:30 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17101, "Some Comments on Edges"

A few random points to clear up some confusion I've seen in prayers, newbie channel questions, and the like:

- Completing Quests generally does not earn you edge credit. The only current exceptions to this that I can think of really would be more accurately described as exploration or observation but happen to use our quest infrastructure instead because it's somewhat older. Of course, locations, items, etc. encountered over the course of a quest might earn you exploration or observation experience, and there are some quests that do award commerce experience, so indirectly some quests do earn you edge credit.

- Perfecting skills/spells/powers/supplications/etc. does not earn you edge credit. Most edges do require X% of one or more skills or spells in order to pick them; these are almost always referenced by name in the edge description or helpfile, or are the skill the edge modifies. Most of these are looking for something in the 80s; only a few are looking for a skill or spell to be in the 90s, and most of even these are skills every member of a class will eventually have high. For example, a few bard edges have high Sing requirements.

- I don't think there's much point to spamming skills or spells to pick up extra edge options. If you just plain don't use nerve, I can't see why you'd want to have the option of picking an edge that makes nerve slightly better. Edges that modify skills often aren't available for several levels after you get that skill -- if you use the skill as normal, probably you can buy its edge as soon as it's available.

- We aren't completely stupid when it comes to game balance. (Really.) If an edge seems to beef up an ability that's already very tough or hard to deal with, probably it: A) Doesn't do very much. B) Doesn't impact that ability the way you're assuming. C) Is expensive. or D) All of the above. That's not to say that you shouldn't choose that edge if you genuinely want to beef up that ability, but understand that you may be paying a high opportunity cost for it.

- Conversely, if an edge seems weak, terrible, and/or extremely niche, it's also probably very inexpensive.

- If you think you've really found a bug in an edge, go ahead and post. There's hundreds of these things already and they're not all tested as well as they could be. What I could really do without is reading bug board posts complaining that your edge doesn't do enough or that you feel ripped off in having picked something. First, the bug board isn't your personal whine board. Second, some edges may have advantages that scale with level or other factors. Third, you may well mistake the quality of the pre-edge original ability. This really is only a few players repeatedly being loud about this, and if necessary I'll cheerfully opt them out of the edge system to end their misery.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Some Comments on Edges, Mekantos, 21-Mar-07 06:40 PM, #31
Reply Is it true..., Torak, 21-Mar-07 05:05 PM, #28
Reply No (n/t), Daevryn, 21-Mar-07 05:31 PM, #29
Reply Repost, edges and shifters, Ujudludul, 18-Mar-07 03:04 PM, #24
Reply RE: Repost, edges and shifters, Daevryn, 18-Mar-07 05:22 PM, #25
     Reply When there *IS* a helpfile!, Odrirg, 18-Mar-07 06:18 PM, #26
Reply I'll post in the other direction.... txt, Larcat, 16-Mar-07 10:25 AM, #6
Reply RE: I'll post in the other direction.... txt, Daevryn, 16-Mar-07 11:07 AM, #7
Reply Also..., Cyradia, 16-Mar-07 11:49 AM, #9
Reply RE: Some Comments on Edges, Isildur, 16-Mar-07 10:20 AM, #5
Reply RE: Some Comments on Edges, Eskelian, 17-Mar-07 02:47 AM, #22
Reply Dissapearing and reappearing edges, Drag0nSt0rm, 16-Mar-07 02:38 AM, #2
Reply Reasons, Baerinika, 16-Mar-07 06:38 AM, #3
     Reply It is none of the above reasons, Drag0nSt0rm, 16-Mar-07 11:11 AM, #8
          Reply Re-pricing edges? I'd go with her reasons first. nt, GinGa, 16-Mar-07 12:29 PM, #11
          Reply Some costs and things are still being tweaked, yes. (n..., Daevryn, 16-Mar-07 12:31 PM, #13
               Reply I thought that was the case, thank you for the answer n..., Drag0nSt0rm, 16-Mar-07 04:17 PM, #17
Reply Quick question, Torak, 16-Mar-07 02:04 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Quick question, Cyradia, 16-Mar-07 07:09 AM, #4
          Reply RE: Quick question, Torak, 16-Mar-07 12:14 PM, #10
               Reply RE: Quick question, Daevryn, 16-Mar-07 12:31 PM, #12
                    Reply RE: Quick question, Torak, 16-Mar-07 02:06 PM, #14
                    Reply Yikes., Valguarnera, 16-Mar-07 02:26 PM, #15
                         Reply RE: Yikes., Torak, 16-Mar-07 05:56 PM, #18
                              Reply RE: Yikes., v_vega, 16-Mar-07 06:50 PM, #19
                              Reply RE: Yikes., Daevryn, 16-Mar-07 09:10 PM, #20
                                   Reply Yup, Drag0nSt0rm, 17-Mar-07 01:07 AM, #21
                    Reply RE: Quick question, Straklaw, 16-Mar-07 03:34 PM, #16
                         Reply Here you go, DurNominator, 17-Mar-07 11:29 AM, #23
                         Reply Fixed!, Cyradia, 20-Mar-07 07:31 AM, #27
                              Reply RE: Fixed!, Jynx, 21-Mar-07 05:33 PM, #30

MekantosWed 21-Mar-07 06:40 PM
Member since 06th Dec 2003
796 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17208, "RE: Some Comments on Edges"
In response to Reply #0

Are edges points that are gained from PK's based on a system similar to the charge system for unholy weapons? I.e.; More points for stronger opponents?

If that was already posted, sorry, i'm getting old and lazy.

TorakWed 21-Mar-07 05:05 PM
Member since 15th Feb 2007
1216 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17204, "Is it true..."
In response to Reply #0

Is it true you have to have at least 1 PK on your record to unlock getting edges (any)?

DaevrynWed 21-Mar-07 05:31 PM
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17205, "No (n/t)"
In response to Reply #28

UjudludulSun 18-Mar-07 03:04 PM
Member since 12th Apr 2016
45 posts
#17152, "Repost, edges and shifters"
In response to Reply #0

There was no reply to this question on ask an immortal, maybe it's an IC issue but I'll ask again...

Do edges like resist magic, resist bard songs, resist kicks and the like work when you're in form? Sorry if it's been asked before, I couldn't find it.

Thanks

DaevrynSun 18-Mar-07 05:22 PM
11117 posts
#17153, "RE: Repost, edges and shifters"
In response to Reply #24

Generally, yes, unless they require stats or other qualities that you don't have while shifted. The helpfiles are generally a good guide here.

OdrirgSun 18-Mar-07 06:18 PM
Member since 16th Oct 2004
431 posts
#17154, "When there *IS* a helpfile!"
In response to Reply #25

hehehehehehhehee

sorry, couldn't resist.

LarcatFri 16-Mar-07 10:25 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
495 posts
#17112, "I'll post in the other direction.... txt"
In response to Reply #0

With Hrudgir I took the anti-distort edge and the anti-kotegaeshi edge. Both seem, in retrospect, too reliable to me.

After I took the anti kot edge, I probably got Koted ~10 times and never got crunched. Similarly, after I took the anti distort edge, distort only blocked maybe 1/3rd at most of my abilities.

The anti-specific-skill edges might want to be looked at.

"New payment options w/ Iron Realms"

DaevrynFri 16-Mar-07 11:07 AM
11117 posts
#17115, "RE: I'll post in the other direction.... txt"
In response to Reply #6

I think they're both okay and don't do a ton.

There might be some other factors at work there.

CyradiaFri 16-Mar-07 11:49 AM
Member since 26th Jan 2005
163 posts
#17117, "Also..."
In response to Reply #6

I'm kind of glad you found they worked well (although you should really notice Daev's other factors might be involved point) given you have to blow points on an edge which will only help you when you fight a specific class. If your class doesn't have a bunch of class-specific edges yet, these might have been your only options. In a completed edge world you're opportunity cost for that is an edge that could help you in 100% of your fights. I think Valg and Daev have both made this point more eloquently, but to paraphrase Daev...if suddenly assassins are all the rage then some anti-assassin-skill edge could be a total bargain, but if you pick it and then never fight an assassin it wasn't a deal.

IsildurFri 16-Mar-07 10:19 AM
5969 posts
#17111, "RE: Some Comments on Edges"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Fri 16-Mar-07 10:20 AM

>- I don't think there's much point to spamming skills or
>spells to pick up extra edge options.

I have to disagree here, even though I agree in spirit. There are some skills that are notoriously slow to improve. My current character spammed up both of them to the point where he/she could choose the relevant edges. I don't feel like it was a waste of time.

>- If you think you've really found a bug in an edge, go ahead
>and post.

I submitted one edge-related post not long ago and haven't seen it dequeued yet. One of those things where it isn't an "obvious" bug, but the behavior seemed odd enough that it "might" be. Guess it's still being discussed? If it was "working as designed" I'd have thought it would have been dequeued by now.

EskelianSat 17-Mar-07 02:47 AM
2023 posts
#17145, "RE: Some Comments on Edges"
In response to Reply #5

This is particularly true for shamans and conjurers.

I can't think of any way I'd naturally have rot at say, 85%, or for that matter conjure archon (by the time I'd want to take the skill), given you only cast it at most once every half hour or so of playing once you reach the level you can cast it.

Barring level gain improvements and such there's a lot of skills that just don't go up very quickly.

Drag0nSt0rmFri 16-Mar-07 02:37 AM
450 posts
#17103, "Dissapearing and reappearing edges"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Fri 16-Mar-07 02:38 AM

At this time, I have a character who seems to be losing and gaining edges with some fair occurence,
A few days ago I went up and discussed, got no xp but got a huge edge list, after not having any edges availible like 2 hours before?
Shortly later, I have no edges avalible after getting more observe and such XP. Now recently I got edges to show up again, and just today I can't get any to list yet again.
Am I losing my mind? Or are you guys still tweaking the edge costs?

***Edit***
I've also been one of those "nuisance prayers" I merely wish a response, are you guys messing around still? is this a bug? Is someone messing with me specificly as a punishment? What the hell be goin on?
Thank you for an answer.

BaerinikaFri 16-Mar-07 06:38 AM
Member since 23rd Jan 2007
338 posts
#17107, "Reasons"
In response to Reply #2

I can think of a few reasons for this:

An edge requires a certain stat to take. You put on some - stat gear, and you don't qualify anymore.

Anything that lowers your skill in something below the percentage required for that edge, ie berserk.

I will point out that if you take an edge and use up your edge points on it, you'll only be able to then see what edges are available to you with the current amount of points you have.

There will be no white flag above my door. - Dido

Stones taught me to fly
Love taught me to cry
So come on courage
Teach me to be shy
Cause it's not hard to fall - Damien Rice

What doesn't kill you makes a fighter, footsteps even lighter - Kelly Clarkso

Drag0nSt0rmFri 16-Mar-07 11:08 AM
450 posts
#17116, "It is none of the above reasons"
In response to Reply #3
Edited on Fri 16-Mar-07 11:11 AM

I'm quite aware of the requirements of the edges
However my race hasn't ever changed, so I should have access to my human racial edges, like I did yesterday, today I don't have access to those edges I didn't pick anything, my stats haven't changed.
Something is going on.

Edit
I suppose I should mention I am a hero and I have 6 edges already.

GinGaFri 16-Mar-07 12:29 PM
996 posts
#17122, "Re-pricing edges? I'd go with her reasons first. nt"
In response to Reply #8

nt

DaevrynFri 16-Mar-07 12:31 PM
11117 posts
#17124, "Some costs and things are still being tweaked, yes. (n..."
In response to Reply #8

Drag0nSt0rmFri 16-Mar-07 04:17 PM
450 posts
#17131, "I thought that was the case, thank you for the answer n..."
In response to Reply #13

asdf

TorakFri 16-Mar-07 02:04 AM
1216 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17102, "Quick question"
In response to Reply #0

Can we ask questions about specific edges here? Either because we're just curious about it or if there's no helpfile...

CyradiaFri 16-Mar-07 07:09 AM
163 posts
#17108, "RE: Quick question"
In response to Reply #1

If there's no helpfile, you can at least post it here (assuming it's not a cabal edge, which you can't chose yourself so we don't have helpfiles on them.) I *thought* I got all the helpfiles up to date this week. However, running behind team 'badass edge coders' is a bit challenging. It's quite possible I missed one and I'd like to know about it.

TorakFri 16-Mar-07 12:14 PM
1216 posts
#17120, "RE: Quick question"
In response to Reply #4

One I know about off the bat (but already asked an imm), is there's no helpfile for Strong Bloodlines (letting half-elves where elf-only gear I think).

But my question was about Proficient Vocalist - can I assume that it improves acapella but still not as well as an instrument?

DaevrynFri 16-Mar-07 12:31 PM
11117 posts
#17123, "RE: Quick question"
In response to Reply #10

>One I know about off the bat (but already asked an imm), is
>there's no helpfile for Strong Bloodlines (letting half-elves
>where elf-only gear I think).

That's because that edge doesn't actually exist.

It was an idea that never (yet?) made it past the idea stage.

>But my question was about Proficient Vocalist - can I assume
>that it improves acapella but still not as well as an
>instrument?

That's probably a safe assumption.

TorakFri 16-Mar-07 02:06 PM
1216 posts
#17127, "RE: Quick question"
In response to Reply #12

>That's probably a safe assumption.

I knew this was probably true, but any reason why? If you're taking this, you're already sacrificing the ability to get the instrument edges and use some cool instruments....be nice to be able to have vocal ability comparable to an instrument, even if the edge needs to be expensive.

ValguarneraFri 16-Mar-07 02:26 PM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17129, "Yikes."
In response to Reply #14

If you're taking this, you're already sacrificing the ability to get the instrument edges and use some cool instruments....be nice to be able to have vocal ability comparable to an instrument, even if the edge needs to be expensive.

The ability to swap a shield in for an instrument without penalty would be incredibly powerful, and likely beyond the scope of any Edge. The existing Edge makes the tradeoff slightly less painful, which is still plenty good, but keeps a strategic choice in play.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

TorakFri 16-Mar-07 05:56 PM
1216 posts
#17133, "RE: Yikes."
In response to Reply #15

>If you're taking this, you're already sacrificing the
>ability to get the instrument edges and use some cool
>instruments....be nice to be able to have vocal ability
>comparable to an instrument, even if the edge needs to be
>expensive.

>
>The ability to swap a shield in for an instrument without
>penalty would be incredibly powerful, and likely beyond the
>scope of any Edge. The existing Edge makes the tradeoff
>slightly less painful, which is still plenty good, but keeps a
>strategic choice in play.
>
>valguarnera@carrionfields.com

You still have a lose from not using tune and the instrument edges.

v_vegaFri 16-Mar-07 06:50 PM
49 posts
#17134, "RE: Yikes."
In response to Reply #18

"You still have a lose from not using tune and the instrument edges."

Yes if your bard is going to go up against one oponent which weapon you know, you might want to go weapon+instrument, but say you are defending your cabal against three characters and they might wield weapons you don't know, then I'd be a very happy man if I could use weapon+shield, cause that'd up my chances of surviving/singing requiem over three dead raiders corpses a whole lot.

DaevrynFri 16-Mar-07 09:10 PM
11117 posts
#17136, "RE: Yikes."
In response to Reply #18

Nonetheless, I remain confident that there are strong and interesting options/tactics for bards both with and without instruments.

Drag0nSt0rmSat 17-Mar-07 01:07 AM
450 posts
#17144, "Yup"
In response to Reply #20

I plan on rolling something to this scope sooner or later!

StraklawFri 16-Mar-07 03:34 PM
Member since 10th Mar 2003
1014 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#17130, "RE: Quick question"
In response to Reply #12

>>One I know about off the bat (but already asked an imm), is
>>there's no helpfile for Strong Bloodlines (letting
>half-elves
>>where elf-only gear I think).
>
>That's because that edge doesn't actually exist.
>
>It was an idea that never (yet?) made it past the idea stage.

It's actually listed as an edge in the Racial Edge List helpfile, which confused me as well. It's just a conspiracy to annoy me, isn't it!?!??? Where's that frickin' help why helpfile.

DurNominatorSat 17-Mar-07 11:29 AM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17149, "Here you go"
In response to Reply #16

http://www.carrionfields.org/display.html?hid=2151&osea=why

CyradiaTue 20-Mar-07 07:31 AM
163 posts
#17177, "Fixed!"
In response to Reply #16

That it made it to Racial Edge List was my fault. Well, my fault AND a conspiracy just to annoy you. Anyway, fixed now!

JynxWed 21-Mar-07 05:33 PM
Member since 05th Sep 2006
30 posts
#17206, "RE: Fixed!"
In response to Reply #27

I, for one, think the link now leads to a much better destination.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #17101 Previous topic | Next topic