Subject: "Why can't I?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #12937
Show all folders

Pro (inactive user)Sat 22-Apr-06 09:19 AM
Charter member

Why can't I find two other players on at the same time who will use upper case and punctuate?

Why can't I ever find a player of a minotaur smart enought to realize that by adding an accent(And ommiting Punctuation and Caps) to a Mino makes it nearly impossible to understand?

Why is it that every time I go to Arkham, I find Goodies happily healing at the evil healer?

Why is that I can pin point future Empire players at level one?

Why is it that people are still making names like QXXZQCXZQWXZ?

Why haven't some people figured out names like QXXZQCXZQWXZ don't give PK advantages (Now or Ever)?

Why does every lastname (Including the ones I make have ' after D?

Why are descriptions like Gots dwarf with happy sword slaying you if you make her made. Don't get in his way! becomming the norm?

Why do I even bother?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Top

Reply Thread locked., Valguarnera, 22-Apr-06 09:21 AM, #16
Reply Because, Theerkla, 20-Apr-06 09:05 PM, #2
Reply Be a good RP beacon instead of a bad RP siren, Theerkla, 21-Apr-06 06:59 AM, #3
     Reply Well said., Valguarnera, 21-Apr-06 08:43 AM, #4
     Reply cool and all but about the healers, laxman, 21-Apr-06 11:59 AM, #5
     Reply Re: Team Evil, Valguarnera, 21-Apr-06 12:01 PM, #6
          Reply true but..., laxman, 21-Apr-06 01:08 PM, #7
               Reply Not going to happen. (n/t), Valguarnera, 21-Apr-06 01:30 PM, #8
     Reply What's a Top Notch leader?, (NOT Pro), 21-Apr-06 04:57 PM, #10
          Reply its not just about the delivery its about the substance, laxman, 21-Apr-06 05:43 PM, #11
               Reply To me., (NOT Pro), 21-Apr-06 05:46 PM, #12
               Reply RE: its not just about the delivery its about the subst..., Scrimbul, 22-Apr-06 09:09 AM, #14
     Reply Are you running for office?, Eskelian, 21-Apr-06 02:03 PM, #9
     Reply That's a good catch phrase., (NOT Pro), 21-Apr-06 05:48 PM, #13
     Reply I endorse this post! n/t, Aarn, 21-Apr-06 08:26 AM, #15
Reply You can, Nivek1, 20-Apr-06 07:57 PM, #1

ValguarneraSat 22-Apr-06 09:21 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12967, "Thread locked."
In response to Reply #0

It's becoming obvious the author is looking to vent, not accomplish anything with this thread. Given that we've seen this thread from this author as many times as we have, I'm closing it.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

TheerklaThu 20-Apr-06 09:05 PM
1055 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12941, "Because"
In response to Reply #0

You are to busy pointing out everyone else's flaws instead of just enjoying the game.

Look in the mirror, your own rp goes down the ####ter when you try to improve everyone else's. Try and reread some of your logs correcting peoples grammar and look at it from an outsider's perspective. As soon as you encounter the slightest flaw that everyone else ignore's, you throw a nutter.

TheerklaFri 21-Apr-06 06:59 AM
1055 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12942, "Be a good RP beacon instead of a bad RP siren"
In response to Reply #2

Here's a fact, RP has improved on CF. Why? Not because the imms stood in a corner jumping up and down yelling RP BETTER DAMMIT. But mostly because the playerbase started to.

By playing a character with stellar RP, you create a sphere of influence. It might not be large, but if by setting an example, a handful of other players also try to RP better, than it can blossom. This is how things change in CF, evolution rather than revolution. Stop trying to lead a revolt, nobody will follow you.

When you see someone healing at the Arkham healer, try roleplaying how offensive the idea of being infused with an evil god's powers is to your character. Sure, you might not change the behavior of that one player in this instance, but then again, how is your current approach working for you? Your problems is that you the player get bothered by it instead of your character and it comes through as an entirely OOC issue.

Personally, I'd rather interact with players who heal their good characters at evil heros but RP other aspects of their character very well, then players who OOC'ly get bent of shape by other players bad RP. If you can't get past those things bothering you to the degree that they ruin your own RP, you are hurting CF more than helping it.

ValguarneraFri 21-Apr-06 08:43 AM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12944, "Well said."
In response to Reply #3

It's usually impossible to criticize someone else's RP in-game without compromising your own. And the better RPers don't need to- they lift those around them by providing a good example.

If you've ever been in a cabal with a top-notch leader, you've seen this effect.

laxmanFri 21-Apr-06 11:59 AM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#12947, "cool and all but about the healers"
In response to Reply #4

While I understand an evil healer would be less inclined to care about whose money they are taking it is kind of annoying that so many key goodie healers flat out refuse to serve evils yet no evil healers return the favor.

I think making one or two evil healers in key locations not as goodie friendly might even the playing field. Maybe they don't turn them down but perhaps take their money and do nothing, charge a lot more for the same service, or perhaps just use weaker communes.

ValguarneraFri 21-Apr-06 12:01 PM
6904 posts
#12948, "Re: Team Evil"
In response to Reply #5

While I understand an evil healer would be less inclined to care about whose money they are taking it is kind of annoying that so many key goodie healers flat out refuse to serve evils yet no evil healers return the favor.

Being evil isn't about being anti-good. It's about being pro-you at the expense of other considerations.

If you pay an evil healer that isn't attached to a cabal, they'll take the money. They don't care who they're healing.

laxmanFri 21-Apr-06 01:08 PM
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#12951, "true but..."
In response to Reply #6

if you don't ever see any pc healers do it then that should be a sign that realistically team evil mentality aside, your less likely to help someone who in turn likely wants you dead. Even if they will pay.

So maybe don't make them deny or charge more. How about making the healer mock them by using says like, "Give thanks to the lord of darkness for healing your wounds maran". I think that would be pretty funny and at the same time remind people to role play their align. Goodies shouldn't be handing over piles of gold to priests of dark gods anyways without some regret.

ValguarneraFri 21-Apr-06 01:30 PM
6904 posts
#12952, "Not going to happen. (n/t)"
In response to Reply #7

Pro (inactive user)Fri 21-Apr-06 04:57 PM
Charter member
In response to Reply #4

One comes to mind. He led Battle and Fortress and couldn't find the shift key to save his life.

laxmanFri 21-Apr-06 05:43 PM
1867 posts
#12956, "its not just about the delivery its about the substance"
In response to Reply #10

Given that delivery can either detriment or enhance a message if your good enough you can still give a good message even with bad delivery.

basically what this means is that some players are good enough at devising ways of acting and interacting with folks that people stop nitpicking over something like capitilization. Of course you could argue they would be better if they did use proper grammmer and all but your arguing the difference between and 98% and a 99%. You got an A either way so be happy.

Pro (inactive user)Fri 21-Apr-06 05:46 PM
Charter member
In response to Reply #11

So-n-so tells you 'group'

Is a prelude to misery.

It's the difference between an A and an F.

ScrimbulSat 22-Apr-06 09:09 AM
Member since 22nd Apr 2003
884 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#12966, "RE: its not just about the delivery its about the subst..."
In response to Reply #11

It's more the difference between 70% and 99% rather than 98-99.

That said, you're otherwise correct. Unfortunately where we differ is in the fact that we should all be striving for a novel quality RP level, period. However, it is indeed counterproductive to spend your time bitching people out over it, or worse, finding ways to kill and full sac them for something they would have no idea how to control. And I'd have to disagree in the 'good RP breeds good RP', at least as far as grammar goes. Most folks who don't use it generally manage to be utterly oblivious to it's existence no matter how much you use it around and with them.

EskelianFri 21-Apr-06 02:03 PM
2023 posts
#12953, "Are you running for office?"
In response to Reply #3

I smell a campaign slogan. Rock on homie.

Pro (inactive user)Fri 21-Apr-06 05:48 PM
Charter member
In response to Reply #3

And I held true to it for a long time. After a while I felt like I was trying to hard for something I could get for trying less.

At anyrate. I'll continue what I've been trying to do. Ignore them.

It's a bitch when it's someone you need to interact with for induction.

AarnSat 22-Apr-06 09:19 AM
Member since 04th Feb 2005
566 posts
#12943, "I endorse this post! n/t"
In response to Reply #3

nt

Nivek1Thu 20-Apr-06 07:57 PM
655 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#12938, "You can"
In response to Reply #0

>Why can't I find two other players on at the same time who
>will use upper case and punctuate?

I do.

>Why can't I ever find a player of a minotaur smart enought to
>realize that by adding an accent(And ommiting Punctuation and
>Caps) to a Mino makes it nearly impossible to understand?

Don't talk with minos. I don't. Saves grief.

>Why is it that every time I go to Arkham, I find Goodies
>happily healing at the evil healer?

Because he will heal them. Maybe he needs the money? Kinda ####ty though, that there are anti-evil healers in Darsylon and Akan.

>Why is that I can pin point future Empire players at level
>one?

I don't know how you do this.

>Why is it that people are still making names like
>QXXZQCXZQWXZ?

I pray when I see one. I don't know.

>Why haven't some people figured out names like QXXZQCXZQWXZ
>don't give PK advantages (Now or Ever)?

Deficiencies in the gene pool.

>Why does every lastname (Including the ones I make have '
>after D?

I, too, think this is lame.

>Why are descriptions like Gots dwarf with happy sword slaying
>you if you make her made. Don't get in his way! becomming the
>norm?

I don't read descriptions often.

>Why do I even bother?
>

You like playing.

>