Subject: "(AGE DEATH) [FORTRESS] Ageryn na-Revre the Scarred Shad..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #93310
Show all folders

Death_AngelWed 23-Jun-10 04:48 PM
Member since 03rd May 2024
16828 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#93310, "(AGE DEATH) [FORTRESS] Ageryn na-Revre the Scarred Shadow Cast by the Holy Flames of Light, Marshall of the Fortress, Godfather of Voralian City"

Wed Jun 23 16:44:48 2010

At 7 o'clock AM, Day of Thunder, 24th of the Month of the Long Shadows
on the Theran calendar Ageryn perished, never to return.

Race:human
Class:thief
Level:51
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Neutral
Cabal:FORTRESS, the Fortress of Light
Hours:528

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Great Job...txt, Bad Ivan, 23-Jun-10 10:08 PM, #10
Reply RE: (AGE DEATH) [FORTRESS] Ageryn na-Revre the Scarred ..., Isildur, 23-Jun-10 05:42 PM, #2
Reply RE: (AGE DEATH) [FORTRESS] Ageryn na-Revre the Scarred ..., Daevryn, 23-Jun-10 06:29 PM, #3
Reply Me and my latest giant sword spec resent that..., Twist, 23-Jun-10 08:17 PM, #6
Reply Without saying too much right now..., Lylesse, 23-Jun-10 07:18 PM, #4
Reply Thoughts on bag of tricks?, Pro, 23-Jun-10 07:41 PM, #5
Reply RE: Thoughts on bag of tricks?, Straklaw, 24-Jun-10 03:36 AM, #12
     Reply RE: Thoughts on bag of tricks?, Isildur, 24-Jun-10 08:29 AM, #13
     Reply Bag of Tricks, not bag of ####s. For shame Isildur., TMNS, 24-Jun-10 12:07 PM, #15
     Reply Another worthless trapper ability. -nt-, Mekantos, 24-Jun-10 11:57 AM, #14
          Reply Think trapper is synonymous with worthless.~, Torak, 24-Jun-10 12:07 PM, #16
               Reply Here are the problems I see with the class, Mekantos, 24-Jun-10 01:50 PM, #18
                    Reply Similar experience, Torak, 24-Jun-10 01:56 PM, #19
                    Reply RE: Here are the problems I see with the class, Hutto, 30-Jun-10 12:44 PM, #22
Reply Some further commentary:, Daevryn, 23-Jun-10 08:26 PM, #7
Reply Isildur!, Humbert, 23-Jun-10 09:13 PM, #8
Reply RE: Isildur!, Isildur, 23-Jun-10 09:23 PM, #9
Reply RE: (AGE DEATH) [FORTRESS] Ageryn na-Revre the Scarred ..., wareagle, 23-Jun-10 11:38 PM, #11
Reply Well played, Nnaeshuk, 24-Jun-10 01:33 PM, #17
Reply Gotta ask, Lokain, 24-Jun-10 07:39 PM, #20
     Reply RE: Gotta ask, Isildur, 24-Jun-10 08:23 PM, #21
Reply Wow. , TMNS, 23-Jun-10 04:54 PM, #1

Bad IvanWed 23-Jun-10 10:08 PM
Member since 18th Feb 2005
39 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#93323, "Great Job...txt"
In response to Reply #0

I thought this might have been you, and am pleased to find out I was right as I usually like your chars. Very well roleplayed and a consistently good foe. One of the things I like best about your play style is your willingness to interact or banter with your enemies. Forget all the grief you got for usuing the best tools/prog gear you could as most any us would have done the the same for that build. You proved true to your word on the nexus issue we once spoke of and I am glad you were willing to test the bounds of standard Fort policy. Great job man and good luck with your next. On a parting note I still think the Emperor should have anyone caught using scrolls or having wire on their person hung in the Imperial Square.

IsildurWed 23-Jun-10 05:42 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
#93312, "RE: (AGE DEATH) [FORTRESS] Ageryn na-Revre the Scarred ..."
In response to Reply #0

This kinda caught me by surprise. Figured I had another ~50 hours left. But I can't say it wasn't entirely unwelcome.

Ageryn started out as a character named Shouwuon just before the purge happened. Same role, build, etc. Shouwuon was supposed to be an improved version of Kasir with more intelligently allocated thief points. Also I kind of wanted to check out thug skills. As Kasir, lots of times I would think to myself, "Man, if I only had parting block and third attack I'd have killed that guy." The flip side is that with Ageryn I often thought, "Man, if I only had tie and truss I'd have killed that guy". Can't have it all though.

On paper I guess I was fairly successful, but the nature of the build is such that you end up killing lots of folks who just aren't that threatening to begin with. If you were sufficiently buff there was just no way I could hang with you, even with the scrolls and progged gear. The other thing I did pretty poorly was manage risk. There were lots of fights I entered that, were I to step back and look at it objectively, I should never, ever have entered. Every once in a while this worked to my favor, but most of the time I just died stupidly.

Some shout outs:

Eylar: Good luck! You were always conscientious about taking enemy cabal items. Much more so than I was. Good on you for keeping me honest.

Ghrajjek: You have an awesome attitude and very consistent role-play. Keep up the good work. Though, a prep here and there wouldn't hurt.

Nnaeshuk: You were great to have around, both as a mortal captain and as a fort imm.

Aillianir: Thanks for all that gold!

Empire Bards: Sorry!

Adekar: Thanks for indulging me w/ the sister thing. Was hoping to develop that more, but it never really happened. Maybe next time.

Eye: Thanks! Sorry you got busy; hope it works out.

Daevryn: Punk. I am so not the "ruttiest player ever".

Staff in general: Thanks again!

Generic thumbs up: Knacnar, Charine, Hanord, Ckath.

Generic thumbs down: Zathryian, Zubei, Tirkhul.

DaevrynWed 23-Jun-10 06:29 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#93316, "RE: (AGE DEATH) [FORTRESS] Ageryn na-Revre the Scarred ..."
In response to Reply #2

>Daevryn: Punk. I am so not the "ruttiest player ever".

I'm prone to a small amount of hyperbole.

You're right, though. Twist is worse.

TwistWed 23-Jun-10 08:17 PM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#93319, "Me and my latest giant sword spec resent that..."
In response to Reply #3

...but seriously as for Ageryn, top notch all around, from both friend and foe perspective (still can't believe you let me get away from you in the Underdark as Zoslaun).

Hope you liked the gechoes - I wanted to do something a little different than the standard tear-jerker "lifted up to heaven" ones.

LylesseWed 23-Jun-10 07:18 PM
Member since 08th Jun 2010
63 posts
#93317, "Without saying too much right now..."
In response to Reply #2

I really enjoyed our interactions... I knew you could be deadly but enjoyed the rp we had more...

glwyn

Lylesse

ProWed 23-Jun-10 07:41 PM
Member since 14th Apr 2010
776 posts
#93318, "Thoughts on bag of tricks?"
In response to Reply #2

And does this have any magical connotations? I.E. You pull a rabbit out of your hat?

StraklawThu 24-Jun-10 03:36 AM
Member since 10th Mar 2003
1014 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#93328, "RE: Thoughts on bag of tricks?"
In response to Reply #5

Having succumbed to Daevryn's helpfile on sandman, I tried a trapper/poisoner for a while and used bag of tricks. I personally found it horribly underwhelming in use, but entirely non-magical. Sort of "You grab a handful of the random trap chemicals you use, and chuck it at someone." Hence not knowing what will come out, but not magical in any way.

IsildurThu 24-Jun-10 08:29 AM
5969 posts
#93331, "RE: Thoughts on bag of tricks?"
In response to Reply #12

Sounds like something for a Stevers char.

TMNSThu 24-Jun-10 12:07 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#93334, "Bag of Tricks, not bag of ####s. For shame Isildur."
In response to Reply #13

MekantosThu 24-Jun-10 11:57 AM
Member since 06th Dec 2003
796 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#93333, "Another worthless trapper ability. -nt-"
In response to Reply #12

asf

TorakThu 24-Jun-10 12:07 PM
Member since 15th Feb 2007
1216 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#93335, "Think trapper is synonymous with worthless.~"
In response to Reply #14

~

MekantosThu 24-Jun-10 01:39 PM
Member since 06th Dec 2003
796 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#93337, "Here are the problems I see with the class"
In response to Reply #16
Edited on Thu 24-Jun-10 01:50 PM

1) If everything worked as well as you think it oughta, trappers would be extremely frustrating and possibly OP. If you had to constantly worry about hitting knockout traps and going to sleep for hours at a time, with no risk to the thief in question, it would be a nightmare.

2) Nerfed as they are to counter the above, they are basically unplayable unless you are going for the RP of it. Any other thief path completely outshines them. I did it with a duergar, got decked out as much as possible, and at the end of the day I was a punching bag with a lot of very unreliable abilities which took a ####load of time and effort to employ (prep gathering).

It makes sense for trappers to be around, from a thematic point of view. However, it is not possible to keep the path balanced whilst also maintaining a reasonable degree of enjoyment. I think the path should be scrapped and have the skills used for flavor throughout the game for NPC's/areas. That, or get rid of the most worthless abilities in the path and put the rest in a mini-path, like the arcane and locksmith paths.

My trapper thief was, without a doubt, the most maddeningly horrible build I have ever played. Followed by my Mundunugu, Ghriz. At least you get bash + savage feeding with that. With a trapper thief you are basically a joke who only manages to be annoying on a really good day.

TorakThu 24-Jun-10 01:56 PM
Member since 15th Feb 2007
1216 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#93339, "Similar experience"
In response to Reply #18

Basically you can make it a living hell for Villagers in a one-exit room by keeping them pinned forever, but that's really about it. I haven't played since pepper dust and the rest but I'll take your word for it.

Least poisoners can do cool stuff like mindcontrol or fear poison for all the prepping that is required. I've never seen one deathful trapper...

HuttoWed 30-Jun-10 12:44 PM
234 posts
#93465, "RE: Here are the problems I see with the class"
In response to Reply #18

>My trapper thief was, without a doubt, the most maddeningly
>horrible build I have ever played.

Same.

DaevrynWed 23-Jun-10 08:26 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#93320, "Some further commentary:"
In response to Reply #2

Obviously by any objective standard this character is a big success all around and I want to acknowledge that. I also have to acknowledge that I could not play a character like this to age death and that if I did, it would probably not be as well.

That being said. . . and I have no idea to what degree if at all the stats back any of this up:

I felt like Ageryn was a pretty scary character in the midlevels. He was the guy that evil characters who were otherwise cleaning their ranges needed to worry about.

At hero, he felt like a poor man's Kasir to me; I felt like you were more feared in your range and a bigger RP presence the first time around. A lot of times I could watch evil characters in your range who were on for hours while you were on and had no idea you were online; that's a great skill to have playing a stealth character, except that's supposed to be the lead-in to the joke and killing them or pulling off a great theft or whatever is supposed to be the punch line. I felt like Kasir had more big moments like that.

HumbertWed 23-Jun-10 09:13 PM
Member since 13th Jun 2009
179 posts
#93321, "Isildur!"
In response to Reply #2

I knew it was you all the way from the start! Dead giveaways were the lastname (na-Revre, bin-Hashar, bin-Azshari?), the Fortress Maran thief (Kasir), the preps/skills, the niceness, the posting as 'Ageryn' on Dio's (you posted as 'Sulye' before)...

I can't give away who I am (though you might guess) but I thought your character was fantastic. That said, I hate thieves so much!

You played one of the few thieves who were actually solo PK-capable, not just stealing/ganking enemies.

IsildurWed 23-Jun-10 09:23 PM
5969 posts
#93322, "RE: Isildur!"
In response to Reply #8

Man, I can't win for losing. The last name is actually in the felar language, taken from writings in the Lyceum. Note to self: no hyphens.

wareagleWed 23-Jun-10 11:38 PM
Member since 19th Aug 2007
201 posts
#93324, "RE: (AGE DEATH) [FORTRESS] Ageryn na-Revre the Scarred ..."
In response to Reply #2

This is why when you talked about great players on the board I find your humility even more impressive.

It's not about the Godfather, it's just about the classiness that you are with your characters.

We didn't have a single PK encounter, not that I can think of anyways, but I remember talking to you with both characters I've played since your inception.

Neither was a friend or an enemy, which is even more surprising that an encounter takes place.

Hope you had fun, GLWYN and thanks in advance for your next.

NnaeshukThu 24-Jun-10 01:33 PM
Member since 13th Apr 2010
141 posts
#93336, "Well played"
In response to Reply #2

Although I knew it was coming soon, I still didn't want to see it. I'm sure you are more than ready to move on, but you'll be missed. I always found it strange that we didn't interact more when I was a mortal. The times we did, it was always top notch and I loved the thief + warrior team. Every time I saw you in action, I couldn't help thinking to myself, "Jeez, he does a lot better with a thief than I ever did." Well played, sir.

Nae-nae

LokainThu 24-Jun-10 07:39 PM
Member since 03rd Jul 2009
173 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#93341, "Gotta ask"
In response to Reply #2

Thanks for always leaving me my stuff when I died. Made the instadeaths easier to bear.

However, I'm curious. Did you always gank my coral rings from my corpse when you got me? Seemed like they were always missing.

IsildurThu 24-Jun-10 08:23 PM
5969 posts
#93342, "RE: Gotta ask"
In response to Reply #20

Don't think I ever took anything except maybe gold.

TMNSWed 23-Jun-10 04:54 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#93311, "Wow. "
In response to Reply #0

A good example of a deadly thief who was well roleplayed.

Thanks for all the logs too!

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #93310 Previous topic | Next topic