Subject: "Meyvian gone" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #90344
Show all folders

AarnWed 10-Feb-10 12:53 AM
Member since 04th Feb 2005
566 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#90344, "Meyvian gone"

Well, haven't played a character of any significance out of the newbie levels in years, and haven't had a hero since, I dunno, 2005. Unfortunately Meyvian was mostly boring. Made it to hero quick under double-xp, but all the bad guys stopped pre-hero, which meant there was rarely anything to do. Should have level sat for a bit! Unfortunately I despise ranking, I find it the most tedious, mind-numbing exercise in the game, so if I hadn't taken advantage of double-xp I likely wouldn't have made it at all.

Early on there were some fun things to do with Gujra, Harlvy, Athtar, Auril and a few others, but once most of them got bored and deleted, there was REALLY nothing to do. Seems like Imperials have finally made it to hero range, but I've already lost the feel for the character and have no desire to play him. Suppose it's for the best, I've got plenty of other things I should focus on right now.

I'm not sure the assassin class is good for me. I've always been a conservative player, and the assassin class lends itself to conservative playing. Thus, I kinda ended up with conservative^2. If a fight was bad for me I just avoided it, which for a looong time basically meant "Do I try my luck assassinating Knacnar, or... wander around in boredom until I quit?" I did try once!

This tied for the best set of gear I've ever had, but I'm not sure it counts since most of it came from mobs due to the dearth of other heroes. It was fun wielding Bal'talon for a while though. Other than when I was play-testing the area while writing it, I've never wielded it. There's something enjoyable about seeing your own work in action!

I don't have much in the way of individual goodbyes. Oh, except for one bone I want to pick: Adekar, I couldn't believe how hard you rode me and Gujra about fighting a neutral mob for gear. Is this some new popular attitude on CF, that goodies can't kill any neutrals for equipment? Unless there's some overwhelming reason why, like a super patriotic dwarf killing Ludan, it makes no sense. Not to mention it's incredibly impractical and unfun. And you didn't even just bring it up, you dwelled on it for the rest of that conversation. If you had pushed any more I was about to throw my hands up in disgust and delete.

Anyway, this farewell ended up way longer than I was planning already, so, thanks to everyone I interacted with. May be back, may not, depends on timing and interest. I'm moving to Europe the end of this summer and don't plan on having as much time after that, so I may try to get in another character before then!

Aarn

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply I was looking forward to a throwdown!, Jazon (Guest), 10-Feb-10 02:27 PM, #8
Reply Bummer, Nnaeshuk (Guest), 10-Feb-10 01:15 PM, #7
Reply RE: Bummer, Aarn, 10-Feb-10 05:40 PM, #12
Reply RE: Meyvian gone, Observer (Guest), 10-Feb-10 12:46 PM, #6
Reply RE: Meyvian gone, Aarn, 10-Feb-10 05:39 PM, #11
Reply I miss being all Aarnly., Pro (Guest), 10-Feb-10 02:55 AM, #3
Reply Aarn was a fort imm? Which one? n/t, Alondarin (Guest), 10-Feb-10 04:09 AM, #4
     Reply ,,,,,,Aarn. n/t, Lhydia, 10-Feb-10 07:08 AM, #5
Reply RE: Meyvian gone, Adekar, 10-Feb-10 01:25 AM, #1
     Reply You guys are killing me with this outducted joke. NT, TMNS_lazy (Guest), 10-Feb-10 02:52 AM, #2
     Reply Meyvian, Aurilimilis (Guest), 10-Feb-10 04:00 PM, #9
          Reply Uh, might want to delete or edit this., Graatch (Guest), 10-Feb-10 05:34 PM, #10
               Reply No cause I am out to lol i just havent posted my goodby..., Aurilimilis (Guest), 10-Feb-10 06:18 PM, #14
     Reply RE: Meyvian gone, Aarn, 10-Feb-10 05:48 PM, #13
          Reply So if my maran, Daurwyn2 (Guest), 10-Feb-10 06:33 PM, #15
               Reply RE: So if my maran, Aarn, 10-Feb-10 06:45 PM, #16
               Reply So how would you answer this one then, Daurwyn?, MyPOV (Guest), 10-Feb-10 06:53 PM, #17
                    Reply test nt, incognito, 10-Feb-10 07:08 PM, #18
                         Reply An answer, incognito, 10-Feb-10 07:12 PM, #19

Jazon (Guest)Wed 10-Feb-10 02:27 PM

#90365, "I was looking forward to a throwdown!"
In response to Reply #0

Alas, it was not meant to be. At least now I can stalk your fortress folks easier.

Nnaeshuk (Guest)Wed 10-Feb-10 01:15 PM

#90364, "Bummer"
In response to Reply #0

I was always wanting to see more of you, but it just never happened. I thought we had some real potential. Sorry that you lost interest in the character, but at least you had some fun early on.

Good luck on that move to Europe. I must say I'm a tad bid jealous.

AarnWed 10-Feb-10 05:40 PM
566 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#90370, "RE: Bummer"
In response to Reply #7

Yeah, we never seemed to be around at the same times much... it was like one day I saw you as a mid-rank, then the next you were a titled hero Maran! Anyway, good luck dealing with the 40-something pledges. Sorry you can't hide, camo, duo or invis.

Aarn

Observer (Guest)Wed 10-Feb-10 12:46 PM

#90363, "RE: Meyvian gone"
In response to Reply #0

I wish all the old immortals would come back, CF needs the quality and experience. You were one of them whose caliber and quality always surpassed expectation.

The player base misses you and all the others.

AarnWed 10-Feb-10 05:39 PM
566 posts
#90369, "RE: Meyvian gone"
In response to Reply #6

Heh, thanks to you and Pro, always good to be appreciated it, especially after being gone for so long. Sometimes I miss imm stuff! The game has a totally different feel to it now days, I'm not sure I can get into it the way I used to. Not sure if it's changes in me or the game though.

Aarn

Pro (Guest)Wed 10-Feb-10 02:55 AM

#90348, "I miss being all Aarnly."
In response to Reply #0

I haven't been able t play fort since you left.

But I won't kill neutral sentients for gear. I believe that's murder and thuggery.

I might kill them because they are involved with eveil then gather something shiney as a trophy.

But I would never rp going to them for gear.

Still, you were the best Imm fort had.

Alondarin (Guest)Wed 10-Feb-10 04:09 AM

#90350, "Aarn was a fort imm? Which one? n/t"
In response to Reply #3

n/t

LhydiaWed 10-Feb-10 07:08 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2382 posts
#90351, ",,,,,,Aarn. n/t"
In response to Reply #4

gr

AdekarWed 10-Feb-10 01:25 AM
Member since 01st Jul 2009
102 posts
#90345, "RE: Meyvian gone"
In response to Reply #0

>I don't have much in the way of individual goodbyes. Oh,
>except for one bone I want to pick: Adekar, I couldn't
>believe how hard you rode me and Gujra about fighting a
>neutral mob for gear. Is this some new popular attitude on
>CF, that goodies can't kill any neutrals for equipment?
>Unless there's some overwhelming reason why, like a super
>patriotic dwarf killing Ludan, it makes no sense. Not to
>mention it's incredibly impractical and unfun. And you didn't
>even just bring it up, you dwelled on it for the rest of that
>conversation. If you had pushed any more I was about to throw
>my hands up in disgust and delete.

I have to admit I remember talking with Gujra about it and didn't even remember who the other person in the conversation was, so you'll have to forgive me if I can't really respond to any of the particulars of your character. I apologize if you think my response was heavy-handed in light of the way you responded to my questions.

And not speaking for the rest of Fort Imms, I think Fort players killing sentient neutral mobs for gear is weak from an RP perspective. It's not something I would have outducted people over, as I obviously inducted you after you did it, but you say that it makes no sense and I think from an RP perspective it makes all the sense in the world. I understand your concerns about it being impractical and unfun, but it's a question I usually ask applicants to see how they think through it.

I hope if you come back you have more fun than you did with this one.

TMNS_lazy (Guest)Wed 10-Feb-10 02:52 AM

#90347, "You guys are killing me with this outducted joke. NT"
In response to Reply #1

NT

Aurilimilis (Guest)Wed 10-Feb-10 04:00 PM

#90367, "Meyvian"
In response to Reply #2

I watched mevian eat some bad deaths and I remember hearing the first time you finally got your first assasination. I was really happy. It was fun to travel with ya! Aurilimilis will miss you!

Jeremiah

Graatch (Guest)Wed 10-Feb-10 05:34 PM

#90368, "Uh, might want to delete or edit this."
In response to Reply #9

You just outed yourself?

Aurilimilis (Guest)Wed 10-Feb-10 06:18 PM

#90374, "No cause I am out to lol i just havent posted my goodby..."
In response to Reply #10

jeremiah

AarnWed 10-Feb-10 05:48 PM
566 posts
#90371, "RE: Meyvian gone"
In response to Reply #1

I disagree with it being flat-out weak from an RP perspective in the Fort. If your image of the Fort is always one of fluffy kittens and rainbows maybe. Good does not have to equal nice, or tolerant. Good can be persecution and violence also, particularly for a Maran. Perhaps it's a bit more questionable for an Acolyte. A radical for-us-or-against-us zealot in the Fort seems completely viable to me. Of course that could raise questions of consistency, e.g. is the character palling up with neutral Ragers or Outlanders or Nexuns, but murdering neutral mobs? But that's a separate issue.

Aarn

Daurwyn2 (Guest)Wed 10-Feb-10 06:33 PM

#90377, "So if my maran"
In response to Reply #13

Starts whacking neutral heralds and taking their gear, that's going to be aok?

AarnWed 10-Feb-10 06:45 PM
566 posts
#90379, "RE: So if my maran"
In response to Reply #15

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

No, my point was that it shouldn't be a blanket negative.

MyPOV (Guest)Wed 10-Feb-10 06:53 PM

#90384, "So how would you answer this one then, Daurwyn?"
In response to Reply #15

If a player kills the mayor, imperial recruiter, or any mob, in Galadon, should a Tribunal flag the player for violation of Law #1?

Or how about if an imperial bard sings fire and ice and whacks a Hamsah gate guard, has that imperial broken imperial law?

The point is, first, Mobs are treated different than Players in almost every area of the game. And second, Aarn was talking about variations in roleplay, not absolutes.

incognitoWed 10-Feb-10 07:08 PM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#90385, "test nt"
In response to Reply #17

nt

incognitoWed 10-Feb-10 07:12 PM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#90386, "An answer"
In response to Reply #18

Or not, because apparently I cannot post my answer here and have lost posting privileges. Unless they are very short.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #90344 Previous topic | Next topic