Subject: "RE: Cheesy Feature" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #74444
Show all folders

lasentiaMon 08-Feb-21 10:47 AM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74451, "RE: Cheesy Feature"

That's a selective reading of the posts. The main arguments I saw were 1) it will increase people playing these classes to the exclusion of others (less diversity), and 2) it will increase conservative behavior of players. Both of which people would likely say are bad things for CF. The upsides were 3) it's more fun for stealth classes and 4) more player interactions.

I think it's easy to see why the downsides outweigh the upsides.

Nobody likes to play the prey/victim, and in a thera that makes stealth more attractive, more people will play stealth, which means less non stealth targets for the larger pool to hunt. Net loss of fun for all parties. I believe part of the reason people play stealth is to either be the hunter, or to not have to worry about other stealth classes as much.

Knowing that 10 players are on and I can see 8 of them does not mean I have detect all (and I agree with Jhyrbian that it's hard to say it's an unintended consequence when the command has always done this). I still have no idea who they are, or where they are. And that potentially gives me a reason to interact already. You're stifling the availability of information for players to use to make informed choices. That's not a good thing.

Count allows players without detects to make informed decisions about potential risk of their actions. Without even that baseline information of how many people are out there, you really think player behavior is going to get better? Unlikely. Players will likely be more conservative than ever, I know for sure I would have been. Which makes CF a far more boring place.

As to increasing interaction: First, that relies on there being someone you can see that can do the detects for you, second it relies on you being willing to ask them, no goodie is asking a duerg for example, and also it relies on you trusting their response. Finally, players already engage in this exact thing as it is, even with the count command. But removal would almost make this a necessity.

If you have a cabal mate/ally that can do this, they already alert you to stealth enemies and you can always ask them.
With the count command, maybe every time I log in without an ally who has detects I don't have to find the first goodie herald with detect hidden to ask how many people are around before I take a step outside of my guild/cabal.

And as to stealth class player enjoyment. A lot of the enjoyment of stealth is having people to play against that are vulnerable to your biggest strengths. Those players are going to be less and less without the count command.

And lets not pretend players with stealth don't camp, or that stealth abilities don't encourage camping. Chameleon is the worst cabal power in the game for that reason, at least in my opinon.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicThe count command, and counting players you cannot see.... [View all] , Gaplemo, Fri 05-Feb-21 09:51 PM
Reply More assassins to the Fields of Assassins!, Assassin (Anonymous), 10-Feb-21 07:03 PM, #10
Reply The count command can easily be IC if you want it to be..., rex spangler, 10-Feb-21 04:37 PM, #9
Reply RE: The count command, and counting players you cannot ..., lasentia, 08-Feb-21 02:50 PM, #8
Reply Cheesy Feature, Amora, 08-Feb-21 09:45 AM, #5
Reply RE: Cheesy Feature, Jhyrbian, 08-Feb-21 10:06 AM, #6
Reply RE: Cheesy Feature, lasentia, 08-Feb-21 10:47 AM #7
Reply RE: The count command, and counting players you cannot ..., Jhyrbian, 08-Feb-21 08:57 AM, #3
Reply Count command rebuttle, Blkdrgn, 06-Feb-21 07:44 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Count command rebuttle, Duergar (Anonymous), 06-Feb-21 08:25 AM, #2
     Reply I liked the count command, lasentia, 08-Feb-21 09:18 AM, #4
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #74444 Previous topic | Next topic