Subject: "On svirfs and other underdark races in relation to Outl..." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #3877
Show all folders

ZefarahTue 17-Feb-04 11:49 PM
Member since 15th Mar 2003
20 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ
#3893, "On svirfs and other underdark races in relation to Outl..."

>Svirfnebli culture and history is not very thoroughly
>developed in CF presently, but it is being worked on.
>Basically, the svirfneblin relationship to the earth is more
>harmonious with the element of earth than about aggressive
>mining and industry. They are slated to be more along the
>lines of the wood-elf equivelent of the subterranean world.

Most of the underdark races in CF - at least within the helpfiles - could probably benefit from further refinement overall. I am very excited about the recent developments in Outlaw, however.

Svirfneblin

It would be interesting to see how CF lore presents the svirf angle you described. In many worlds (including CF), svirfneblin are invariably associated with gems and stones. Their strength and affinity for precious stones would suggest mining and exploitation of the earth. Furthermore, some authors and gaming circles present them in darker terms - cunning thieves, and possibly necromancers and shaman - because of their ties to the Underdark.

Yet, I see how they can be viewed as being in tune with their natural surroundings. Their "singular dedication" to stone stems more from reverence and their need to live within it, rather than the desire to subjugate the earth - as with dwarves. Since they are wise and adept "traders" (thieves), they are able to work the gem trade without relying so much on physical invasion of the earth's resources. Their high strength comes not so much from mining -- but perhaps years of defending themselves from the duergar and drow.

That aside, has there been any thoughts on expanding Svirf to allow them to be evil? As suggested above, some gaming circles offer the svirf race as an evil "alternative" to gnomes. I am curious as to why gnomes AND svirfs are restricted to neutral -- it seems repetitive at first glance... Not that it matters to me - they work just fine.

Duergar

Duergar culture seems even less developed than svirfs, for that matter. I certainly do not blame CF, as their history seems vague in general.

One problem, however, is that the helpfiles for duergar indicate that they have departed from the practices of the dwarves. Moreover, duergar despise their their cousins and want nothing to do with them.

In any event, categorizing duergar as defilers still works for me. For all their differences, they ARE dwarves -- and despicable ones, at that. They share a common history of excavation and exploitation of the earth -- even though they may not at present seek to cause harm.

I was both pleasantly and unpleasantly surprised to see an increase in duergar activity in certain areas. The horror... Anyhow, are they slated for some overhaul as well - at least in terms of racial background and history in CF?

Dark-Elves

I am ecstatic to see drow taken off the list of defilers. Was this for game balance?

I'm wondering if this signifies more of an acceptance of the popular Salvatore model of drow... That is to say, drow are a rich but treacherous hierarchical society that emphasizes station and beauty; they are not necessarily warmongers and destroyers of nature. Most of the information found in-game, as well as many CF areas seem to support this model -- or at least, do not contradict it.

If this is true can we expect to see some updates to their helpfile as well? Perhaps some information about Teth Azeleth, their ability to scan in the Underdark (a VERY overlooked benefit), and some of their values and traits which are illustrated in the Academy....

I am equally curious as to why the Outlaw helpfile is silent with respect to drow. The Ancients certainly can't be crazy about them. The drow tendency toward dark arts and undead manipulation should stir quite a bit of hostility or distrust.

At any rate, the more recent changes to drow seem to be going in the right direction.

Other than that, it is great to see races and their background lore continually develop in CF. Culturally refined playerkilling at it's best!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy

HOT Locked TopicAnother racial helpfile change or an Outlander oversig... [View all] , Phaistus, Mon 23-Feb-04 01:45 AM
Reply Thread locked:, Valguarnera, 25-Feb-04 02:26 PM, #30
Reply I've always thought of Svirfs as the sylvans of the und..., Vecna, 18-Feb-04 10:01 AM, #10
Reply So why they all got pick-axes? n/t, Evil Genius (Anonymous), 21-Feb-04 12:57 PM, #16
     Reply Answer enclosed:, Valguarnera, 21-Feb-04 05:31 PM, #17
          Reply RE: Answer enclosed:, Evil Genius (Anonymous), 21-Feb-04 07:05 PM, #18
               Reply RE: Answer enclosed:, Lyristeon, 21-Feb-04 10:19 PM, #19
                    Reply RE: Answer enclosed:, Evil Genius (Anonymous), 22-Feb-04 01:52 PM, #20
                         Reply Discussions like these..., Amaranthe, 22-Feb-04 03:54 PM, #21
                              Reply Oh my..., Narissa, 22-Feb-04 10:12 PM, #22
                                   Reply RE: Oh my..., Jhyrbian, 23-Feb-04 12:09 AM, #23
                                        Reply My post vanished?, Evil Genius (Anonymous), 23-Feb-04 07:58 AM, #25
                                             Reply RE: My post vanished?, Amaranthe, 23-Feb-04 11:32 AM, #26
                                                  Reply RE: My post vanished?, Evil Genius (Anonymous), 24-Feb-04 07:26 AM, #27
                                                       Reply RE: My post vanished?, thornheart, 25-Feb-04 04:33 AM, #28
                                                            Reply RE: My post vanished?, Evil Genius (Anonymous), 25-Feb-04 08:15 AM, #29
Reply Svirfnebli, Amaranthe, 15-Feb-04 11:14 PM, #2
Reply RE: Svirfnebli, Evil Genius (Anonymous), 17-Feb-04 07:16 AM, #4
Reply The Tale of Dwarven Origin, Amaranthe, 17-Feb-04 11:56 AM, #5
     Reply RE: The Tale of Dwarven Origin, Evil Genius (Anonymous), 17-Feb-04 09:12 PM, #6
Reply On svirfs and other underdark races in relation to Outl..., Zefarah, 17-Feb-04 11:49 PM #7
Reply RE: helpfile, Sevarecan, 18-Feb-04 12:04 AM, #8
Reply Right, OUTLANDER, not OUTLAW.. sorry. nt, Zefarah, 18-Feb-04 12:46 AM, #9
Reply RE: On svirfs and other underdark races in relation to ..., Amaranthe, 18-Feb-04 04:54 PM, #11
     Reply Thank Goodness., Zefarah, 18-Feb-04 08:29 PM, #12
     Reply RE: Thank Goodness., Amaranthe, 19-Feb-04 01:45 AM, #13
     Reply RE: On svirfs and other underdark races in relation to ..., Evil Genius (Anonymous), 21-Feb-04 12:50 PM, #15
          Reply RE: On svirfs and other underdark races in relation to ..., Zefarah, 23-Feb-04 04:31 AM, #24
Reply There is a whole big book on it in the lycium too tho n..., dwimmerling, 20-Feb-04 07:32 PM, #14
Reply On that note., permanewbie, 15-Feb-04 11:13 PM, #1
     Reply RE: On that note., Amaranthe, 15-Feb-04 11:19 PM, #3
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #3877 Previous topic | Next topic