Subject: "I read the idea, and I don't think it's necessary" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #3596
Show all folders

YanorethMon 26-Jan-04 07:06 PM
Member since 10th Mar 2003
896 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3607, "I read the idea, and I don't think it's necessary"

It's a lot of work for something that's not seen as a problem.

You seem to think that new players get shafted by the current system, but that's one of the things we already fixed. You get decent stats every time you roll. There's an advantage for newbies to have less than perfect stats - they'll actually notice when they have gear on that improves their stats. If they have "perfect" stats, they might not learn to pay attention to gear affecting their stats until they have a character with identify or lore.

You also seem to think that rolling characters take up a lot of bandwidth. This is no longer the case since we made it impossible to roll with multiple sessions open. At any given time we have 0-6 people rolling new characters. That's a drop in the bucket compared to the 80-90 people we have playing.

I think your system would make new players feel discouraged. They'll see the "maximum attainable stats" and think they are subpar because they are -2 or -3 from the max. Their focus will also be on stats instead of learning gameplay, area layouts, and fighting tactics.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Topicidea: alternative to stat rolling that -does't- involve... [View all] , Isildur, Mon 26-Jan-04 04:18 PM
Reply I read the idea, and I don't think it's necessary, Yanoreth, 26-Jan-04 07:06 PM #7
Reply RE: I read the idea, and I don't think it's necessary, Isildur, 26-Jan-04 07:38 PM, #8
Reply RE: idea: alternative to stat rolling that -does't- inv..., Zulghinlour, 26-Jan-04 04:25 PM, #1
     Reply RE: idea: alternative to stat rolling that -does't- inv..., Isildur, 26-Jan-04 04:27 PM, #2
          Reply RE: idea: alternative to stat rolling that -does't- inv..., Valguarnera, 26-Jan-04 04:34 PM, #3
          Reply I posted this once, but it didn't show up, Wilhath, 26-Jan-04 05:28 PM, #5
               Reply Comment on the idea and the possible forum bug, Yanoreth, 26-Jan-04 06:57 PM, #6
                    Reply Forum bug, Wilhath, 27-Jan-04 09:55 AM, #9
                         Reply I've learned to open a completely separate session, Yanoreth, 27-Jan-04 04:20 PM, #10
          Reply RE: idea: alternative to stat rolling that -does't- inv..., Zulghinlour, 26-Jan-04 04:54 PM, #4
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #3596 Previous topic | Next topic