Subject: "Merry Christmas Scar! Some orc ideas (long)" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #3333
Show all folders

CathoirThu 25-Dec-03 04:35 PM
Member since 10th Nov 2003
34 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#3333, "Merry Christmas Scar! Some orc ideas (long)"

I'm still bitter that I haven't got to try any of the changes placed after my orc's delete thread, but from what i've seen since i've come back orcs could use a final little bit of tinkering to achieve your vision of what the race/class was supposed to be like. Primarily I think orcs need more interesting lives. You do a lot for them as far as immteraction (more than most imms do for their cabals), but more is needed. The majority of people i've talked to complain of rampant boredom once they reach higher levels, mainly because there are so few other orcs around and the fact that most of the intrigue going on at those levels is cabal related. I propose two major sets of changes, one from a roleplaying standpoint and one from a class mechanics standpoint.

First off, orcs need to be allowed into cabals. The vast majority of heroes these days are either cabal'd or pure explore chars. I almost never see any orcs past the high 30's, for the most part I only see the chieftan. Pre-changes any orc i'd see in hero range would almost ALWAYS be a member of a cabal. This would be a fairly radical change, but I propose that orcs be split into two tribes and have one associated with each evil cabal. Each cabal would have it's own unique relationship with the orc tribes. For example, Empire could use them mostly as mercenaries and keep a sort of detached air from them. A seperate hall could be built (the vanquisher won't allow them inside but the inner guardians tolerate their presence for raiding situations) and the orcs gain some very minor cabal powers. Instead of donating they get cash rewards for things like killing enemy cabal members or retrieving the codex, similar to the bounty system. They could even be used to accomplish activities that would otherwise tarnish the "orderly" image of Empire. Finally there'd be a visible result of Empire's supposed wealth rather than having the feeling that your donations are disappearing into some black hole.

Scions I think could be more loose and basically treat them the same as any fighting class they allow into the fold. In addition to being able to join in (to some extent) cabal intrigue, orcs could now have an everchanging relationship with the other tribe. Two chieftans would dispel some of the complaints of having the possibility of getting chieftan powers blocked by a single player with limited time to devote to cf. Overall I think this would just give an orc's life more depth. Most people seem to delete early and just experience it as a mad lowbie bashfest which gets extended by about 5 levels or so if you make it to savage feeding (I do realize this isn't necessarily your fault, a lot of orc skills are severely underused... there's just a general lack of highly skilled players playing orcs to act as rolemodels).

The second thing I think orcs need is an addition of two skills. These skills will be aimed at improving game balance for hero orcs and encouraging a tribe mentality.

First skill-Orcs desperately need to get something as they approach hero ranges similar to how warrior's get legacies. Specifically, they need something that allows them to even the playing field against all those unbashable communers/mages that are dealing out massive damage/maledictions while heavily protected with spells/sups. I don't have a specific idea for this one (people feel free to post any you have), but ideally it would be some type of mode they can set or an automatic skill. If it's a mode then perhaps it can have some serious disadvantages to their ability to cope with fighting classes (loss of savage feeding maybe?). Basically I kind of look at orcs like pre-legacy warriors. They don't need quite as much, but something powerful as about 1.5 legacies that allows them to deal with this huge subset of classes they're weak against (I realize it's intentional to have classes you're particularly weak against, but orcs are a little too skewed in one direction).

Second skill-I'd like to see orcs get some sort of skill that allows a group of three orcs to rationally rank together and kill mobs for eq. This skill would be only usabale in a group of 3 or more orcs and be something that emphasizes their ability to gang up on a lone mob or person. The tanking orc would be able to to employ an entirely defensive posture. He'd get only 1 attack per round and not be able to execute any of their other skills, but he'd have a ton of damage reduction. This would only be usable when orcs are fighting a single opponent and the damage reduction would only apply to physical melee damage. I visualize this as a sort of heavily modified pack animal attack behavior where the toughest "leader of the pack" requires the animal's full attention while the other ones sort of dart in. From a gameplay standpoint i'd like to see a progressive damage reduction as the orc increases in levels which ultimately allows a group of three orcs to effectively rank until they have to move on to something more difficult than say... the battlefield. The skill would then diminish in usefulness requiring orcs to make other arrangements or allies for quality ranking past the high 30's or so. I think this change would tighten bonds between clanmates as well as swell the ranks of the tribes, especially in the lower levels. This would give the class the environment i think you originally intended, a bunch of orcs running around or hiding in your home encampment and a lot of people to bicker/brag/taunt/complain on the orc cb. It also would help orcs with re-equipping, which really ####ing sucks. I think abernyte had a similar comment where it was even difficult to re-eq with an orc that has rager powers.

One last quick request for skills. I was really excited when I got enslave. I had a ton of ideas for troll/gnoll/kobold etc... mobs that I wanted to go try and enslave. I figured it was prolly the fact that most of them are aggressive to lowbies, but I was really bitter when I found out that almost every mob I tried couldn't be enslaved. It left me with that same mundane set of obviously progressive choices in the encampment, that skill could be a lot more fun.

Anyways, so ends my essay. A lot of things that have been on my mind for a while and I finally got around to posting them. Tell me what you think.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicMerry Christmas Scar! Some orc ideas (long) [View all] , Cathoir, Thu 25-Dec-03 04:35 PM
Reply I disagree re: cabals, Wilhath, 28-Dec-03 11:37 AM, #2
Reply I think you're confused, Cathoir, 28-Dec-03 03:44 PM, #3
     Reply Not confused, Wilhath, 28-Dec-03 04:38 PM, #4
Reply I disagree with you about some of this and agree with o..., Little Timmy (Anonymous), 28-Dec-03 11:21 AM, #1
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #3333 Previous topic | Next topic