Subject: "Solomon: Post removed:" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #215
Show all folders

ValguarneraThu 21-Mar-02 01:22 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#218, "Solomon: Post removed:"

Please don't mention other MUDs, for good or for ill, in a way that can be construed as an advertisement or flame. It's a line we don't want to go near.

As for your point: Yes, we don't implement features just because they work for a different MUD. If I had to pick a short list of reasons why I enjoy CF so much, that would be near the top, personally. Derivative MUDs tend to nosedive- if the features are available somewhere else, and all you're doing is copying instead of innovating, there's little reason to play your MUD- just play the original. It's probably been around longer and had more time to achieve proper balance and a good playerbase.

Copying is faster, but it isn't better.

Also, as a consequence of us doing this for a long time- we are unique, and the things that may be good for other MUDs may not be good for us. Personally, anything remotely resembling what was posted sets off my tingly game balance sense. We don't want a HuggyMUD where all the players hit each other with padded pillows, and no one dies or loses CON or gets their feelings hurt. If we move towards a non-lethal option like this, it'll be very gingerly, and in a limited way. I like the concept, (and we've discussed various ways to do this previously amongst ourselves) but it's difficult to do correctly, and what was posted can be abused in various ways.

To Vulpis: If the idea you've posted is, indeed, lifted detail-by-detail from somewhere else, please don't do that. It's one thing to present a general concept you like, but if the specifics of the above are taken from elsewhere.... we don't want a reputation as scavengers.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicAccost (Skill idea enclosed) Immortal response would be... [View all] , Solomon (Guest), Wed 20-Mar-02 04:51 AM
Reply Just to drop another couple of pennies in the pot., Cassman, 21-Mar-02 05:47 PM, #9
Reply Makin 'em beg for mercy - other idea, Zulg shoot me dow..., Vulpis (Guest), 20-Mar-02 06:27 PM, #3
Reply Solomon: Post removed:, Valguarnera, 21-Mar-02 01:22 AM #4
     Reply RE: Solomon: Post removed:, Solomon (Guest), 21-Mar-02 03:05 AM, #5
     Reply RE: Solomon: Post removed:, ArChaos, 21-Mar-02 03:27 AM, #7
     Reply RE: Solomon: Post removed:, ArChaos, 21-Mar-02 03:23 AM, #6
     Reply clarifcation, and groveling, Vulpis (Guest), 21-Mar-02 04:37 PM, #8
     Reply RE: clarifcation, and groveling, Valguarnera, 21-Mar-02 06:01 PM, #10
          Reply Just looking to implement some over the top drama n/t, Vulpis (Guest), 21-Mar-02 07:24 PM, #11
     Reply Like ooze?, (NOT Pro), 23-Mar-02 08:07 AM, #12
Reply Re: Immortal response would be sweet!, Zulghinlour, 20-Mar-02 02:09 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Re: Immortal response would be sweet!, Solomon (Guest), 20-Mar-02 03:20 PM, #2
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #215 Previous topic | Next topic