Subject: "Strength and Defiance" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #1279
Show all folders

CaptainAverageWed 11-Jun-03 10:26 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
31 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1279, "Strength and Defiance"

Greetings, all. In the past, I've thrown some quite lame ideas around about improving this aspect of the game or that one. Honestly, I love the game how it is. We, as a group of players, complain far too much and contribute way too little. So, this particular message about gameplay is directed towards us players, not the hard-working immortals.

Recently, I have been introduced to the Cabal system. I've played this game for months, and there are several things I haven't tried. First, is empowerment. Second, a long-lasting evil character. Third, joining a cabal. This has opened all new realms of roleplay opportunity and interaction. I've learned so much about survival as a group and working towards a specific roleplayed cause. However, it seems of late that there have been insane amounts of cabal raiding for no reason other than to have a trophy. While this may work for the Villagers, whose only reason to raid a cabal could be getting drunk and thinking it was a good idea, there seems, most of the time, no good reason for one cabal to raid another.

Where is the roleplay and interaction? Why would the Warlocks, who should be somewhat peaceful and minding their studies, make an unprovoked attack on the Empire? Or the Sylvans raiding the Warlocks when there are no conjurers about? I understand that there are wars between the groups, but wars have planning and take time to execute. So far, the most thought-out plan to go raid another cabal was "We got eight members here. Let's go raid someone." Leaders especially should create valid reasons for attacking another group, or even a person. "Mazaufat has entered the lands, let's go kill him." First off, that seems very cowardly. Secondly, for what reason do we kill the drow? Leaders should work on increasing roleplay within their respective cabals. A few people seem to be buddy-buddy, which is alright if its roleplayed well. But then, when speaking with everyone else, it almost seems too much a problem to put any effort in it. Anyway, food for thought.

I realize that I am being cryptic to which cabal I belong to, and its on purpose. My persona on these boards should be separated from the one I've created on CF. Though I'm not always the best roleplayer, I strive to be something greater than I am. Especially reading about all the deletes recently, I was disappointed in how everyone was worried about gangbanging one another. If these gangbangs were roleplayed properly, creating a bit of a twist and a little more fun, I think far fewer people would complain. I hate participating in a raid, or being raided, and you never hear one word from either side. Not just trashtalk, but valid communication. Maybe a little guardian interaction. "Quick, circle the bear!" "Good job! Now hold him down!" (yelling) "To arms! The Villagers attack!" Something. Anything.

In conclusion to this incredibly long ramble, we look to the Immortals for help with gangbanging and uneven sides. Well, perhaps there is some they can do, but most of it should be placed on the players. A young Empire rebirthing will be weak for a while. An alliance of cabals against a common enemy would be natural. There are alliances in wars, just as there are betrayals and uneven sides. Its how we work with it that makes the difference. I read that a couple of the Imperials who deleted said they'd make it their sole mission to create a character and only PK. Fine. Do it. But at least have a good reason for doing it other than "Because in a past life, they ganged on me and I'm a really, really sore loser."

Captain Average
Mildly Taking a Stance

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicStrength and Defiance [View all] , CaptainAverage, Wed 11-Jun-03 10:26 PM
Reply RE: Strength and Defiance, Isildur, 19-Jun-03 09:57 PM, #7
Reply Nicely said., Zepachu, 12-Jun-03 01:40 AM, #1
     Reply Random note re: ideas:, Valguarnera, 12-Jun-03 02:01 AM, #2
     Reply RE: Nicely said., Karel, 12-Jun-03 04:17 AM, #3
     Reply RE: Nicely said., Zepachu, 12-Jun-03 08:08 AM, #4
          Reply RE: Nicely said., Racli, 19-Jun-03 02:02 AM, #6
     Reply A little extra rambling., Quislet, 13-Jun-03 01:52 PM, #5
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #1279 Previous topic | Next topic