Subject: "General answer:" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #1036
Show all folders

ValguarneraTue 13-May-03 04:22 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1037, "General answer:"
Edited on Tue 13-May-03 04:23 PM

A fact about CF and its coding:

- There are always more things that need to be coded than will be completed. This is because generating ideas is much faster than implementing and testing them.

1) Thus, we have to create criteria to prioritize what needs to be done. My problem with this idea is that it's something you can do yourself, it would lengthen and complicate pfiles unnecessarily, and it is a fair bit of coding to achieve a very small effect that can be exactly duplicated by even a simple client. (alias rest1..., alias rest2...)

2) On top of that, it's not even an overly desirable effect to me. 'Canned' emotes and automated substitutions for common tasks can detract from roleplaying. We've all had that groupmate who has some triggered emote that happens... every.... single... time... the sun comes up or whatever. After a while, it's pretty clear to me as a player that it's just a bot, as the person looks up and appreciates the sunrise while blinded, or while fighting, etc.

These aren't as wooden as those, but it's still stuff that lets people get lazy. Most of the best characters I've seen don't have a single one of these- they make it up as they go along, and the freshness and variety shows.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicPersonal Mood States (PMS) [View all] , Zepachu, Tue 13-May-03 03:55 PM
Reply RE: Personal Mood States (PMS), Isildur, 13-May-03 05:32 PM, #2
Reply RE: Personal Mood States (PMS), Zepachu, 13-May-03 06:00 PM, #3
Reply General answer:, Valguarnera, 13-May-03 04:23 PM #1
     Reply RE: General answer:, Zepachu, 13-May-03 06:03 PM, #4
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #1036 Previous topic | Next topic