Subject: "Google Analytics is Live" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Marketing CF Topic #430
Show all folders

KastellynSat 02-Aug-08 07:49 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
864 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#430, "Google Analytics is Live"

Hey everyone! First of all, I apologize for my absence from this particular forum. The process of starting up Yet Another Business (YAB) while still working full time for the Navy (and spending time with my wife) has kept me too busy to pursue marketing CF, but I think things are starting to settle down enough to the point where I can start doing some marketing things for the MUD now.

To that end, I've been running Google Analytics on our website since June 20th in an attempt to see where our current traffic is coming from, and to establish a "baseline" so we can determine the affect our future online marketing campaign has on driving traffic to our site.

If you're not familiar with Google Analytics, it is a very interesting and powerful tool that lets you do all kinds of analysis on a website. Beyond the standard "number of visits", you can see where folks are visiting from (both from a web and geographic point of view), what pages they are interested in and how long they spend on them, where they go when they leave and how they are finding out about CF.

I thought it would be interesting to post a few of the statistics I've built up on the site since we started collecting the data.

Top Five Sources and % of New Visitors

1. Direct (type the address in and hit go): 3,299 / 23%
2. Dio's: 698 / 19%
3. CF Forums: 456 / 14%
4. Stumbleupon: 339 / 97%
5. Google (organic) (type 'carrion fields' or some such into Google: 298 / 33%

Stumbleupon? 97% new? Interesting source. They checked out 2.23 pages and were on our site for 1:52.

Voting Sites

1. TMS: 99 / 53%
2. Mudconnect: 20 / 85%
3. RPG Gateway: 19 / 89%
4. Mudlists: 9 / 56%
5. Mudmagic: 6 / 83%

That's why I want you to vote on sites other than TMS! We still see traffic from there; more importantly, we still see NEW traffic from those sites.

Top Ten Countries

1. US: 4083 (no surprise there)
2. Canada: 408
3. UK: 194
4. Sweden: 135
5. Russia: 133
6. Australia: 85
7. Denmark: 80
8. Singapore: 71
9. Norway: 56
10. Argentina: 50

We've got almost as many Firefox (2372) users as IE (2801) users. Go Apple...?

1650 absolute unique visitors.

Top Pages: Help/Classes, Search and Help/Races.

Most popular link on the Help Page: Guide to Creating Your First Character. Wow. Think that might need a rewrite.

We've had 5554 visits since June 20th.

Interesting stuff. If anyone wants more data, ask away and I'll post it. More marketing stuff to follow.

Kastellyn the Devourer of Magic, Lord of Legends

*** Email me your testimonials or two-line blurbs. Help our marketing efforts! ***

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicGoogle Analytics is Live [View all] , Kastellyn, Sat 02-Aug-08 07:49 PM
Reply Yeah. Check these Google Search Terms...., Moridin, 08-Aug-08 10:28 PM, #6
Reply This is why we should write a sticky ad targeted to tho..., DurNominator, 10-Aug-08 08:21 AM, #7
Reply RE: Google Analytics is Live, Toxic, 07-Aug-08 02:39 PM, #5
Reply RE: Google Analytics is Live, Exit, 05-Aug-08 02:02 PM, #3
Reply Cool., Marcus_, 04-Aug-08 02:46 PM, #2
Reply Couple quick comments..., Stunna, 04-Aug-08 12:47 PM, #1
     Reply Landing Page is Done, Kastellyn, 06-Aug-08 12:55 AM, #4
Top General Discussions Marketing CF Topic #430 Previous topic | Next topic