Subject: "Internet marketing considerations." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Marketing CF Topic #164
Show all folders

StunnaThu 15-Nov-07 06:09 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1048 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#188, "Internet marketing considerations."

There are a couple of things I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, and a few things in this area that I know what outcome I'm after but not quite how to get it.

The landing page of all advertising needs to be 100% promotional. In my post on the Bucket (which anyone interested in marketing really needs to read)I talk about "the path." When you want to take your prospect down a specific path the only way to do that is to give them only one option. The page will have a TON of information about WHY you should play, and what will be great about doing CF - but will not contain anything that is nuts and bolts. (Like class/skill pages.)It will give a little information, ask them to play, give more information, ask to play, give more information, ask to play.

I'm 100% sure this is the right way to do this.

Now where I'm not sure is where we run into seperating from this page or not. To me it's actually a question of search engine response. If I knew how, I'd build the page in such a way that people who are looking for "online game, free game, online roleplay, mush, moo, mud" etc. etc. are going to find our CF promo page. I know a few tricks that work for me in a local market, but I don't have a ton of experience getting it done on a global scale. Can someone help here?

I DO know that one of the easiest ways to rank in the search engine is to use the key words in your URL. Therefore being carrionfields.com is going to rank us high for people searching Carrion Fields, but we're nowhere near the top for searches like "online roleplaying" or "free games." Which is really what we need to do... (Once I get done with the Bucket, and define our target market I'm going to start working on creating rather than capturing marketshare, and that kinda goes along with this post, that happens later tho.)

I also know that one of the things that matters in your search engine ranking is how much traffic your site gets. If you seperate the promo page from this page you lose the advantage of all the people who frequent this site.

That's why one of my suggestions was to have a promo page that appears at home on carrionfields.com, and then lock what is here now behind a password. If you want a password, you give an email and answer whether or not your new to CF. So that way we can do some damage control, cuz anyone new to mudding is going to overwhelmed by all the forums, help files and class info. I would much rather have them get really interested in the game, click to play, go through the academy, and then make their way on to forums later on.

Someone who understands how we might rank high in searches for people who are bored and looking for free entertainment needs to weigh in more than anyone else right now. After that's done I can work with that person for the content of the page itself. In lieu of that, we'll do the best we can to learn about it and implement as best we can.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOT TopicIMMS: What I need from you to do some artwork [View all] , Mekantos, Thu 15-Nov-07 04:49 PM
Reply RE: IMMS: What I need from you to do some artwork, Daevryn, 15-Nov-07 05:26 PM, #4
Reply Update:, Daevryn, 16-Nov-07 09:03 AM, #28
Reply May I come with a suggestion., Cerunnir, 15-Nov-07 05:06 PM, #1
     Reply Adding to this (and going further off subject), Mekantos, 15-Nov-07 05:09 PM, #2
     Reply Pfft! Real men use telnet!, Daevryn, 15-Nov-07 05:23 PM, #3
     Reply Yep. I have played my first year via telnet, Dervish, 15-Nov-07 05:40 PM, #6
     Reply I have already contacted zmud and..., Lyristeon, 15-Nov-07 05:53 PM, #10
          Reply RE: I have already contacted zmud and..., Cerunnir, 15-Nov-07 06:00 PM, #12
               Reply RE: I have already contacted zmud and..., Lyristeon, 15-Nov-07 06:03 PM, #13
                    Reply Maybe...., Lyristeon, 15-Nov-07 06:06 PM, #
                         Reply This was on my list of things we should do., Stunna, 15-Nov-07 06:12 PM, #16
                         Reply For Mac Users, like me., Lyristeon, 15-Nov-07 06:27 PM, #18
                              Reply This is done., Lyristeon, 15-Nov-07 07:10 PM, #24
                                   Reply This will count for something, for sure. nt, Stunna, 15-Nov-07 07:16 PM, #26
                                   Reply Just got our first Atlantis player., Lyristeon, 15-Nov-07 11:43 PM, #27
     Reply Question:, Daevryn, 15-Nov-07 05:29 PM, #5
     Reply I dont know jack about advertisment.. but..., Cerunnir, 15-Nov-07 05:40 PM, #7
     Reply RE: I dont know jack about advertisment.. but..., SirGankAlot, 15-Nov-07 05:51 PM, #8
          Reply You are wrong and right at one time, Dervish, 15-Nov-07 05:56 PM, #11
     Reply Internet marketing considerations., Stunna, 15-Nov-07 06:09 PM #15
          Reply RE: Internet marketing considerations., Dervish, 15-Nov-07 06:48 PM, #19
          Reply RE: Internet marketing considerations., Stunna, 15-Nov-07 06:57 PM, #22
          Reply Heh, TheDude, 15-Nov-07 06:57 PM, #21
               Reply Absolutely not!!, Stunna, 15-Nov-07 07:02 PM, #23
                    Reply I was joking around with you..., TheDude, 15-Nov-07 07:10 PM, #25
     Reply I disagree and here is why., Dervish, 15-Nov-07 05:52 PM, #9
          Reply RE: I disagree and here is why., Cerunnir, 15-Nov-07 06:06 PM, #14
          Reply RE: I disagree and here is why., Dervish, 15-Nov-07 06:52 PM, #20
          Reply Agree and Disagree., Stunna, 15-Nov-07 06:14 PM, #17
Top General Discussions Marketing CF Topic #164 Previous topic | Next topic