Subject: "Relative vrs. absolute morality" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #699
Show all folders

AlarianFri 15-Apr-05 08:41 AM
Member since 02nd Sep 2004
61 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#716, "Relative vrs. absolute morality"

>evil in their eyes. Good and evil are relative concepts and
>there are no clear absolutes in real life. Good and evil
>depend of the standpoints of the person declaring something
>good or evil,

So Chucky Manson is good because he says he is?

This is the central, fatal flaw of relative morality, IMHO. If the only thing you judge are judgements and standards, they cease to exist when these things are the 2 basics by which all morality is determined. Relative morality is oxymoronic because the former undermines the latter.

Ironically, though, that point of view would work very well for a neutral character, because you stop believing in traditional notions of good and evil but would work very badly for, say, a Maran. Again, in my opinion.

Anyhow, leaving that can of worms behind, I've viewed CF as more solidly twords the absolute side in notions of good and evil. Orcs are evil because they are made of whatever the "stuff of evil" is. Doesn't matter that they think hacking up orphans and elf children is good clean fun, they're still evil.

You can "try to understand his anger" all you want and an Orc will split your skull in two while you're navel-gazing. Offer him a "hand of peace" he'll laugh before biting it off because....he's just dag nasty evil.

There is still wiggle room, of course, and actions strongly play a part of this, as posted above and here's another example.

Minoutars.

There are some IMMs, I believe, that don't want paladins killing neutrals for gear or just for the heck of it. Minoutars can be neutral so it's not unreasonable to assume that if a paladin walked up and killed one, knowing he wasn't evil, they'd be punished for it.

However, I, as a mortal and probably when/if I get a religion, will *demand* that people kill Minoutars because of what it says in their help file:

" they cannot reproduce among their own kind; every minotaur is male and they can only further the race by polluting the wombs of human females during their violent rites of blood sacrifice and procreation which leads to their rarity in the realm."

Alarian never considered that their motivations for doing so might be neutral, simple bestial drives rather than evil ones. Rape is evil. Period. They're just like orcs, in his mind, twisted in their souls and born with the desire to do evil acts.

Your aura could be the grayest of grays, but if you violently rape human women, this human paladin is going to hunt you down and end your life, never travel with you, and treat you with total contempt.

Who's right? What if I had found a celibate Minoutar? Would I have treated him like a Orc who "claimed" to turn his back on violence when I *know* that doing that vicious act is as part of him as breathing?

This is the fun of RP, clashes like this amongst different viewpoints, IC. CF would be more boring if we didn't have these, I think.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOT TopicPaladins [View all] , Vandir, Tue 12-Apr-05 05:07 PM
Reply The Paladin Code, Aarn, 21-Apr-05 02:24 PM, #42
Reply My approach, Innis, 21-Apr-05 01:30 PM, #41
Reply RE: Paladins, Zulghinlour, 19-Apr-05 04:39 PM, #32
Reply Agreed, Theerkla, 20-Apr-05 06:59 AM, #34
     Reply RE: Agreed, Grurk Muouk, 20-Apr-05 11:35 AM, #37
          Reply The thing is, Grurk has a red aura, Theerkla, 20-Apr-05 11:53 AM, #38
               Reply Whatever works for your char's role., Alarian, 20-Apr-05 01:48 PM, #39
Reply Here's how I did it as a mortal., Alarian, 17-Apr-05 07:17 PM, #30
Reply RE: Paladins, nepenthe, 12-Apr-05 05:36 PM, #1
     Reply On that note..., Aarn, 12-Apr-05 06:34 PM, #2
          Reply Well, as someone that tries, incognito, 12-Apr-05 06:45 PM, #3
               Reply RE: Well, as someone that tries, Aarn, 13-Apr-05 07:58 AM, #4
                    Reply RE: Well, as someone that tries, Rodriguez, 13-Apr-05 11:14 AM, #5
                         Reply RE: Well, as someone that tries, Aarn, 13-Apr-05 11:41 AM, #6
                              Reply So I could say, Rape a nine year old Florida girl, and ..., (NOT Pro), 13-Apr-05 05:10 PM, #7
                                   Reply I hate you for this post, but, Wilhath, 13-Apr-05 05:40 PM, #8
                                   Reply his arguments are not mutually exclusive, incognito, 13-Apr-05 09:36 PM, #10
                                        Reply RE: his arguments are not mutually exclusive, Wilhath, 14-Apr-05 04:02 PM, #12
                                   Reply Not quite, Aarn, 13-Apr-05 06:02 PM, #9
                                   Reply It's a different world., DurNominator, 14-Apr-05 02:15 PM, #11
                                        Reply Relative vrs. absolute morality, Alarian, 15-Apr-05 08:41 AM #13
                                             Reply I hope you get a religion., (NOT Pro), 15-Apr-05 12:15 PM, #14
                                             Reply RE: Relative vrs. absolute morality, DurNominator, 15-Apr-05 12:34 PM, #15
                                                  Reply Relative Morality, Real world vs. Game world, Odrirg, 15-Apr-05 12:54 PM, #16
                                                  Reply RE: Relative Morality, Real world vs. Game world, nepenthe, 15-Apr-05 01:03 PM, #18
                                                       Reply sorry for getting off-subject, Odrirg, 15-Apr-05 01:20 PM, #19
                                                            Reply Whoa, Aarn, 15-Apr-05 02:02 PM, #20
                                                                 Reply Also, to bring it back to Paladins..., Odrirg, 15-Apr-05 02:12 PM, #21
                                                                      Reply RE: Also, to bring it back to Paladins..., A2, 19-Apr-05 04:19 PM, #31
                                                                           Reply No., Odrirg, 19-Apr-05 04:56 PM, #33
                                                                           Reply RE: No., A2, 20-Apr-05 11:30 AM, #36
                                                                                Reply You're both right., Alarian, 20-Apr-05 01:56 PM, #40
                                                                           Reply Paladins shouldn't associate with evil., DurNominator, 20-Apr-05 10:35 AM, #35
                                                  Reply You are bass akwards. In a big way., (NOT Pro), 15-Apr-05 12:58 PM, #17
                                                  Reply RE: You are bass akwards. In a big way., Aarn, 15-Apr-05 02:31 PM, #22
                                                  Reply If we bring this back to CF., DurNominator, 15-Apr-05 03:18 PM, #23
                                                       Reply This, I agree with. somewhat., Odrirg, 15-Apr-05 03:52 PM, #24
                                                       Reply Me too. That's not anathema to what he's saying though., (NOT Pro), 15-Apr-05 06:36 PM, #26
                                                       Reply That works too., DurNominator, 16-Apr-05 12:41 AM, #28
                                                       Reply Heh,. Okay. We agree., (NOT Pro), 15-Apr-05 06:35 PM, #25
                                                            Reply Is this about right?, Vandir, 15-Apr-05 08:18 PM, #27
                                                  Reply I love stuff like this....., Alarian, 17-Apr-05 06:59 PM, #29
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #699 Previous topic | Next topic