Subject: "RE: Movement (Chasing/Fleeing) and Preps" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #3954
Show all folders

DaevrynSun 09-Dec-12 11:24 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3959, "RE: Movement (Chasing/Fleeing) and Preps"

Mostly it really is that most of your range does just know the map that much better than you.

And, yeah, generally you should expect (past the pretty low levels) that anyone who isn't Battle will probably be gone via word/teleport/quaff just about as fast as they can flee, when applicable.

That all said I'll offer some advice.

1) There's really no substitute for learning the map yourself better. If nothing else you could roll something like a level 10 ranger and be able to explore the majority of the world that isn't too aggressive pretty well.

Area knowledge, the kind you can only get the hard way, is priceless and pays compound interest. Even (to use your example) on something like the Dragon Sea where I can't use scan or where to pinpoint your exact room, I can still use where to rule out a bunch of places you can be. Or I can deduce not where you are but where you will be and move there. If I guess wrong, I know where to check next. I know where nearby you can lure me into traps or vice versa. Etc.

2) Try to know where you can get the following preps: detect invis, word of recall, teleport, fly, and depending on your character maybe some of protection, enlarge, or reduce. Almost all of these are for sale in protected cities. If you know these, prepping honestly is no longer holding you back. This is important to know because otherwise you may blame preps for losing fights and miss other reasons for losing fights which you could correct.

3) Aggression is big. If you see an enemy and pounce on him immediately without hesitation, maybe he's ready for you, or maybe he's not.

4) You're right in that you're not now safe when you quaff. Even if ten Tribunal are in Galadon you shouldn't assume that, either. You quaff and then you keep moving if at all possible. Not only to avoid dying in the temple today (a moving target is harder to kill), but to try to conceal knowledge of your hometown for the future.

5) Understand that choice of moves in a fight is important, but so is the setup for the fight. Which, yes, can include preps but includes a lot of other strategizing. You're a shaman? Well, I know you don't learn the whip skill, so maybe I switch one in to hit you more. You're a fire giant? Maybe my frostbrand comes out -- unless I've seen your gear or otherwise have reason to believe you resist cold. Then it's anything but that. Maybe I can lure you into a trap, or maybe I can let you think you're luring me into one to get you to be overconfident. Etc.

6) Understand that to some degree CF is an immensely complicated game of rock paper scissors. To give some very simple examples, almost no matter who you are, there's someone out there who straight-out can outmelee you. Don't let that character have a straight fight with you, go at their other weaknesses. Maybe they're not set to soak maledictions. Maybe they can't absorb direct damage. Maybe disarm will turn the tide.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicMovement (Chasing/Fleeing) and Preps [View all] , newish-warrior (Anonymous), Sun 09-Dec-12 06:44 PM
Reply RE: Movement (Chasing/Fleeing) and Preps, Isildur, 06-Jan-13 06:28 PM, #9
Reply RE: Movement (Chasing/Fleeing) and Preps, Daevryn, 09-Dec-12 11:24 PM #5
Reply Alas, you cannot go that way., Artificial, 09-Dec-12 10:39 PM, #4
Reply I learned to chase..., Lhydia, 09-Dec-12 08:06 PM, #1
     Reply RE: I learned to chase..., newish-warrior (Anonymous), 09-Dec-12 09:04 PM, #2
          Reply You don't need anyone to gear you, -flso, 09-Dec-12 10:09 PM, #3
          Reply Good gear at low lvls isn't a sign of others gearing yo..., Amberion, 10-Dec-12 05:27 AM, #6
          Reply RE: Good gear at low lvls isn't a sign of others gearin..., Retan, 10-Dec-12 08:25 AM, #7
          Reply RE: I learned to chase..., incognito, 17-Dec-12 08:18 AM, #8
               Reply RE: I learned to chase..., Isildur, 06-Jan-13 06:37 PM, #10
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #3954 Previous topic | Next topic