Subject: "My tips." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #394
Show all folders

CerunnirTue 06-Apr-04 02:04 AM
Member since 21st Oct 2003
294 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#395, "My tips."
Edited on Tue 06-Apr-04 02:04 AM

What I advice you to do is to choose a race that has a easily defined generic roleplay, something you are familar with. Let us choose for example an elf, which is very defined in many fantasy books. Since you are new to the mud, I suggest you dont go out of your way to make him uniqe. Play on the familar things that you know about. That you hate orcs is a perfectly fine thing to start with. But you should take it a step further, maybe make it personal instead of a race thing. When you where young you traveled with your parents and orcs killed them, you were saved by f.ex some paladins of the acolytes(read up on cabals is a good thing). This is a very easy role, but it sets up the character for further interaction with current decent or good roleplayers.

From this point on the character can wish to join the acolytes and fort, there is truly NO better way to learn roleplay than in a cabal. People are more willing to speak with your newbie self.

My first hero ever, around 7 years ago was a dawn(equall to acolytes nowadays). When in a cabal people dont only roleplay with you, but you also are taken with out to travel around in obscure places. Play a "support" class like like a bard, and they will love you for that sort of things.

Another thing I could mention is when you have gotten a decent knowledge of the world, during your first character. Make a priest, preferably a good one. Then you will have a chance to roleplay a bit with an immortal, which is always a good experience first time around. Good patrons have a tendancy to lead you along, so if you dont manage it first time you speak to them. They will give you advice and suggestions of people to talk to(often tattoed priests). That leads to even more roleplay.

Bottomline is, dont make it hard for yourself. Grab something you CAN do, and work from there. Orcs killed your parent is a good start, then you can evolve from there as you get better.
-------
Cerunnir, being somewhat helpfull, I think.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicRole playing help [View all] , Laghail, Tue 06-Apr-04 01:10 AM
Reply If I might add..., Bajula, 10-Apr-04 12:57 PM, #8
Reply Comprehensive RP Help (LONG), Zefarah, 09-Apr-04 09:13 PM, #6
Reply This is an excellent post. Stickied! (n/t), Valguarnera, 09-Apr-04 10:10 PM, #7
Reply Great post, that., nepenthe, 10-Apr-04 10:05 PM, #9
Reply Yay, someone mentioned one of my favorite char developm..., Meladori, 10-Apr-04 10:24 PM, #10
Reply RE: Role playing help, Straklaw, 06-Apr-04 05:39 AM, #4
Reply a sensible post, incognito, 06-Apr-04 04:31 AM, #3
Reply RE: Role playing help, Romanul, 06-Apr-04 03:30 AM, #2
Reply My tips., Cerunnir, 06-Apr-04 02:04 AM #1
     Reply RE: My tips., Laghail, 08-Apr-04 12:23 PM, #5
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #394 Previous topic | Next topic