Subject: "RE: Hmm.." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #849
Show all folders

TheDudeSat 16-Dec-06 04:44 AM
Member since 20th Sep 2005
283 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#857, "RE: Hmm.."

>Yes, and the company shouldn't be punished in this case. After
>all, they've payed taxes like they were supposed to. And this
>kind of system looks very detectable from the tax records. If
>the odd guy is some actual US citizen duplicated(meaning the
>guy exists), then there would be double tax records that would
>show. I think that these guys would stand out from the tax
>records for the government to detect.

Hehe. You're giving way too much credit to the government in these sorts of things, man .

But seriously, even if appearing legal, these types of workers are not extremely high candidates for intense scrutiny by the IRS. Realize that generally they aren't getting paid much- even if they are feigning legal status. Maybe the odd illegal immigrant from time to time might pull off a high paying skilled job but by and large, these are not high paying positions which would show up blipping on any IRS audit radar. I'd find it hard to believe that 109 illegal immigrants in one place would be smoovely posturing their false legal status in a way that would trick an employer. As such I'd guess it wouldn't be too difficult to get a company like this on negligence for such an oversight and dock them anyways. But I ain't know legal dude so who knows.

As a side note, I'd be interested in hearing (but too lazy to look up) how many illegal immigrants are caught by the IRS via fraudulent tax claims. With the limited knowledge I have of how the IRS works and how employers work I'd bet some money that the number is very low.

>Yup. A dishonest employer can cover the tracks pretty well.
>Punishing them is part of the solution for the problem. The
>ways illegals can be exploited are fairly unethical and
>sometimes practically slavery(I've heard that some fruit farms
>in southern Spain have illegals working for them in poor
>conditions for minimal pay. That's practically slavery.).

Agreed on the first part totally. If you want to consider the whole thing a problem than punishment needs to start at the employer.

As for slavery, well, that's a pretty harsh term. Remember, the reason why it works (by works, I mean is able to exist) is because it benefits both the illegal immigrant and the employer. They get paid much more than they would in Mexico and the employers got his cheap labor. Simple, but not slavery simple.

>As for America's Mexican problem, USA should collaborate with
>Mexico to find a solution for that. I've heard that the
>African country where Spain deported it's illegals back
>to(they've recently deported thousands of illegals from Canary
>Islands) put them in jail for the illegal crossing of border.
>But if Mexico let's the same guys try again, then USA has a
>problem.

Ideally, yuppers. But when it comes to illegal immigrants, Mexico is like your bratty younger brother hollering for mom when you twist his arm because he stole your baseball cards then will laugh in your face as soon as her back is turned. Meaning, the Mexican government generally has no interest in nor means to stop the problem. And that's a big part of the problem.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicHee hee. Fences. [View all] , Valguarnera, Fri 15-Dec-06 11:50 AM
Reply RE: Hee hee. Fences., Igsoeh, 15-Dec-06 05:00 PM, #6
Reply RE: Hee hee. Fences., Linolaques, 16-Dec-06 12:48 AM, #7
Reply Hmm.., DurNominator, 15-Dec-06 01:08 PM, #2
Reply RE: Hmm.., Valguarnera, 15-Dec-06 01:13 PM, #3
     Reply RE: Hmm.., DurNominator, 15-Dec-06 02:42 PM, #4
          Reply So long as the punishment is a fine...., Tac, 15-Dec-06 04:34 PM, #5
          Reply RE: Hmm.., TheDude, 16-Dec-06 04:44 AM #8
Reply Obviously because of the Liberal Media Bias (tm)., Tac, 15-Dec-06 12:22 PM, #1
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #849 Previous topic | Next topic