Subject: "Times change." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #610
Show all folders

Pro (inactive user)Thu 19-Oct-06 11:21 AM
Charter member
Edited on Thu 19-Oct-06 11:23 AM

I don’t like knee jerk laws. Laws restrict freedoms and I’m not for adding more unnecessarily. What I am for is responsible consumerism.

You stated that you are too lazy to protest. It’s the same thing as being to lazy to vote. If you aren’t willing to invest time and effort into something then your opinions have little to no weight in the matter.

Going back to laws. I think they are the lazy man’s answer to so much. How much easier for an overworked cop to deal with a situation than for a person to develop interpersonal (Intrapersonal?) skills and attempt mitigate the situation on a personal level.

All that said, I agree with your sentiment about the holidays. Christmas is what used to be known as Autumn and I think it’s in the cards for it to take the moniker of “Winter” here with stores having after even sales as well.

Like Kastellyn I see it as a time for family more than anything, and I feel more than a little disenchanted over the whole thing as well.

The fix however is not a Law. it’s a change in how we as consumers consume. Things you can do are, send letters to retailers who’s methods you don’t like and inform them of this. Conversely praise in writing those retailers who you appreciate. Your news rag has an opinion’s section so opine.

There are temporary boycotts that we can do as individuals as well. Tell the chains that you will not shop there until .

A lot of people are victims of their buying habits. Wal-Mart is appealing because they are so convenient. For all the rhetoric, people in large measure want Wal-Mart so they shop with them and complain little (Or complain while they are picking up a car battery and some eggs.) because of the “privilege”. Just remember Wal-Mart wants people too!

All those catchy slogans colors and even the way the floors are laid out after exhaustive studies of the behaviors and preferences of shoppers. They have one thing in mind, making you happy so you’ll buy their product. I personally don’t see anything wrong with their methods or our desire to shop there.

Like it or not though our Modern Christmas is a result of Marketeers identifying what it is the majority of the people want and giving it to them.

You and I may not like what we see, but most people do, or are content to let it be as it is. Finding no moral or ethical dilemmas I can’t see any reason for imposing a law that would in the end be anathema to the will of the people at large.

You get the government and society you deserve.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicChristmas is overpowered...! [View all] , Saith, Sun 15-Oct-06 09:09 AM
Reply RE: Christmas is overpowered...!, DurNominator, 25-Oct-06 01:02 AM, #15
Reply You sir... are evil!...nt, Saith, 25-Oct-06 11:26 AM, #16
     Reply I am not evil., DurNominator, 26-Oct-06 03:40 AM, #17
Reply Just do your xmas shopping like any sane person in this..., Pendragon_Surtr, 21-Oct-06 01:58 PM, #11
Reply Times change., (NOT Pro), 19-Oct-06 11:23 AM #9
Reply Not sure you got it..., Saith, 21-Oct-06 09:31 AM, #10
Reply Laws are not the only way to get things done., (NOT Pro), 23-Oct-06 03:26 PM, #12
     Reply RE: Laws are not the only way to get things done., Saith, 24-Oct-06 10:32 PM, #13
Reply RE: Times Change, BigJ, 25-Oct-06 01:00 AM, #14
Reply I Endorse This Post, Kastellyn, 17-Oct-06 12:14 PM, #6
Reply I Endorse THIS Post, Tac, 17-Oct-06 01:18 PM, #7
Reply It wasn't -always- this bad... no..., Saith, 19-Oct-06 06:48 AM, #8
Reply Cheap Bastard!, Minyar, 26-Oct-06 08:33 AM, #18
Reply RE: Christmas is overpowered...!, Bajula, 16-Oct-06 08:01 PM, #5
Reply FNCR. nt, GinGa, 15-Oct-06 10:33 AM, #1
     Reply My Hero!...nt, Saith, 15-Oct-06 01:53 PM, #2
     Reply Just don't expect it before world reboots. nt, DurNominator, 15-Oct-06 02:25 PM, #3
     Reply Adjunct to that law, Theerkla, 15-Oct-06 02:27 PM, #4
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #610 Previous topic | Next topic