Subject: "RE: Upcoming Windows Vista" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #373
Show all folders

IsildurFri 15-Sep-06 01:21 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#398, "RE: Upcoming Windows Vista"

The concensus is that corporate adoption will be slow. System requirements are higher than XP, but that's mostly related to the eye candy. Turn that off and it's not that much worse. Beta testers have reported performance problems, but I have to believe Microsoft will address those before releasing anything. The features I find most attractive:

1. Supposedly it looks alot better than XP. A well-done Linux desktop looks a hell of a lot better than XP; maybe this will narrow the gap.

2. Re-written TCP/IP stack. IF the new code isn't full of bugs, which I admit is a possibility, then it should offer better performance. The home user won't notice this much, but it will affect Windows server performance.

3. DirectX 10 is supposed to be cool. I'm not sure whether it's limited to Vista or not- they may also release it for XP.

4. Supposedly it's alot easier in Vista to operate as a non-Administrator. And afaik that's the default. So, theoretically, that limits Grandma's ability to hose up her system quite as badly.

5. From what I've read, they made it so graphics drivers (and possibly others) don't run in kernel land. That means your graphics driver could crash without taking down the OS. That's a good thing. Again, it's of limited use to home users, but it's attractive to people who run Windows servers in that it removes one possible reason for a system crash.

6. Re-written memory management. Same caveat as with the TCP/IP stack. IF it's not buggy, then it should offer increased performance and security. They do some new techniques with loading system files into different sections of memory in order to make it difficult for those seeking to exploit the system w/ buffer overruns.

7. If there's a 64-bit version of Vista, which I think there is, then hopefully it'll get more/better driver support than the 64-bit version of XP.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicUpcoming Windows Vista [View all] , wretchedmongrel, Thu 14-Sep-06 11:51 PM
Reply RE: Upcoming Windows Vista, Grurk Muouk, 16-Sep-06 04:42 PM, #5
Reply RE: Upcoming Windows Vista, Eskelian, 15-Sep-06 10:35 PM, #4
Reply RE: Upcoming Windows Vista, Isildur, 15-Sep-06 01:21 PM #3
Reply Just say no to Trusted Computing, Valkenar, 15-Sep-06 10:49 AM, #2
Reply No. Waste of Money., Tac, 15-Sep-06 08:38 AM, #1
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #373 Previous topic | Next topic