Subject: "So let's talk Nexus uninduction" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #91863
Show all folders

DaevrynWed 21-Apr-10 11:49 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#91863, "So let's talk Nexus uninduction"

About a month ago, the balance is tipping heavily towards evil, and I spot two Nexus characters leveling on Kiadana with an evil character.

Now, for whatever reason Nexus attracts a lot of newbies and I'm generally mindful of that. That doesn't mean Daevryn's nice about it because that's not his RP, but generally the first time I call attention to someone violating the cabal dogma there aren't permanent consequences.

And, yeah, Nexus is a cabal where the "right" thing to do by the cabal dogma is constantly shifting, but that doesn't mean that there's a complete lack of standards either. So: I call attention to what they're doing wrong. They keep going, then talk it over and decide to make one more pass through Kiadana before splitting up because of the Balance.

The equivalent of that wouldn't fly in any other cabal, and at this point they know that I'm watching and that they're doing something wrong, so: uninduct, uninduct. I'm not anonymous for this.

Long story short, I decided to be nice about it and gave both an easy task for reinduction. I don't think they were out of the cabal even an hour. Your standard issue 'if you screw up again you're out again forever' boilerplate follows.

This is a lesson most people who play Nexus learn at some point, usually not the hard way if this can be considered the hard way: If you're Nexus, you really have to keep an eye on the balance. Generally speaking, new-Nexus balance doesn't shift that quickly -- you might be surprised by being teamed up with good and reaching the "good is slightly winning" state, but you almost never find yourself teamed with good in the "good is extremely winning" state unless you're really inattentive. This is just part of playing Nexus, just like you develop a much sharper awareness of which items are magic when playing Battle, what the law allows while playing Tribunal, and so on.

(I also give out little perks to Nexus folk who get it right.)

That brings us to tonight when one of the aforementioned two Nexus characters was on the wrong side of the Balance again.

I asked on cb for an explanation. Some of the other Nexus characters talk about it a bit.

No answer. Oh, an orc has the character in question spinebroken. Give it a few more minutes. Nothing.

Probably at this point it should be uninduction but I decide to be a little merciful about it. I take the vanguard power and declare this the last warning.

A while later they seem to notice the missing power for the first time and get a pray telling me to #### myself.

Pretty much anyone who's been playing the game for a while understands that's not how you get what you want. Uninduct.

A stream of profanity-laden prays, none of it remotely accepting any kind of responsibility follows, one declaring that they're done with being caballed and plan to just explore and hoard gear instead. Fine, you've given up on your ethos, take the betrayer penalties too. At this point I probably should have just denied the character and tossed a cool-down temp ban instead but for some reason I'm still trying to pull punches.

We keep freaking out.

I point out that this isn't the first time I've uninducted this character for completely ignoring the balance. Because of this, at this point I assume it's obvious who I am, but I guess it's hard to notice these things through a haze of rage-o-hol.

I point out that there are consequences for raging and cussing at an immortal that busts on you for ignoring your cabal RP. Have we gotten to a point where I'm a ####wad for trying to enforce the minimum RP standards in a cabal? If so, then fine, I'm a ####wad.

So beware: if you're in a cabal I'm running and you repeatedly do the exact opposite of what the cabal rules and standards indicate that you should do and you swear at me for fifteen minutes after the second time I call you on it, your character will eventually end up maimed. I'm mad with my unlimited power.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy

Locked TopicSo let's talk Nexus uninduction [View all] , Daevryn, Wed 21-Apr-10 11:49 PM
Reply A couple final thoughts for the night:, Daevryn, 22-Apr-10 12:29 AM, #2
Reply I'll add:, Valguarnera, 22-Apr-10 07:04 AM, #4
Reply Nice ####., _Magus_, 22-Apr-10 12:26 AM, #1
     Reply The log backs my version. Read yours when you're less ..., Daevryn, 22-Apr-10 12:30 AM, #3
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #91863 Previous topic | Next topic