Subject: "And here we are. Holy ####." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #139272
Show all folders

QuixoticSat 27-Jun-20 06:46 PM
Member since 09th Feb 2006
830 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#139281, "And here we are. Holy ####."
Edited on Sat 27-Jun-20 06:53 PM

When I created Ajanfindel, I knew I wanted to follow Panmorne for his cool interactions, so my ideal character had to be
- a warrior that is a fun build (I love dagger, although I've had more success with mace)
- a peace-loving elf (role: a monk who broke his vows of tranquility)
- Fortress because there were too many Outlanders and I wanted to get maran for once.

One of Panmorne's spheres, however, is Victory. How on earth can I fulfill that requirement? So I thought about a post started by Daevryn back in 2006 about the article "Playing to Win". Look for what has worked, analyze why it has worked, and then leverage it for known situations and adapt it to new. Note that there is a nice sidebar about what winning looks like: a healer with 75 pks, for instance, which might have foretold Shapa's homicidal healer.

I studied logs of Drissa's fights (MacBeth), trying to learn from those logs what worked in given situations and what did not work, and I chose for Ajanfindel's sphere Combat, as my goal was really to learn. And I made a lot of dumb mistakes which cost me and my allies pks, but my goal was never to hit some record number of kills. To my allies, I am sorry for my clumsiness. Overall, however, I view the character as a success.

During the 422 hours of this character's life, I met some really great people. Deiramor, a thoughtful leader whom I would say was the best mortal leader I've played under. Theorendus, the headstrong powerhouse, who like most shaman, could enter most any fight with almost nothing to fear. **Edit: Chetush, who taught me a great deal about stupidly common tasks like navigating the mausoleum or fighting the council, and was instrumental in so much of our dragonlair exploration--thank you. I anticipated your deletion when you were not named captain, but I understood why Theorendus got it over you. Devrena, who is also playing a 'proven build' and is doing so quite effectively both from a pk standpoint and as a steadfast companion. Laurandt, who like Theorendus I wanted to strangle for his unwavering views, but to whom I would like to shout out for being the best healer I have ever had the pleasure of playing beside. Kruissina, another fun character who has learned about healers and the overall game by leaps and bounds. Arjandrou, a good-natured returning and relearning player during our ranking days, whose presence was sorely missed when we made hero. Maeneekoni, a rational sunwarden who kept me abreast of the drama that passed during my sleep. Korsgaard and Padwei, two wonderful characters who could never have been visible enough, but made a great impression when they uncloaked. Father Panmorne, the source of many laughs and ic bruised ribs. I will miss you all. Imogrezio, thank you for your assistance in all the area exploration, and Pininip, your scouting, assistance, and you defending the orc village from me will leave lasting memories. Ouch! Young squires, I tried to provide a streamlined induction yet a unique induction ceremony, and for those of you who discussed things with me, I hope you continue to reflect and discuss combat and conduct with the subsequent generations of Maran.

For my foes, I especially like my interactions with the orc chieftain Zodslag, who would fight and talk with Ajanfindel. In victory or defeat he was gracious, a better person than most, myself included. Thank you for contributing to this great game. Narra, who had short logins from my perspective, but made her presence felt when she was awake. Targung, who wiped the floor with me when I fought on his terms, but whose primary goal was only to create action in a game that can be static. I recognize the source of your frustration, but we were serving different masters and different motivations. Vodette, I will not forget for the Lyresteon-esque jaw drop you gave me when I thought I was going to die to Wijara and Targung at centurions and you swooped in unexpectedly and dispersed us all. The Reavers I did not get much of a chance to know, primarily because chameleon and shapeshifters really limit the conversational opportunities. Air/offense and ambush tend to make you feel opportunistic in your fight selection, but that really is an important aspect of this game: finding and creating opportunity.

I played this game way too much during CoVid quarantine, and since I deleted Ajanfindel I have painted a bedroom and bathroom, installed new wood trim, finished plotting and started writing a novel, and gone kayaking three times. My wife is not kind when she points out what I could accomplish without my CF addiction, and although she is right, it is hard to give up something you love. We are a large, dysfunctional family where each of us is a hero in our own personal narrative, and the conflicts which ensue in character and in the forums are indicative of our shared goal, which is to find fun and distraction.

Thank you, immortals and players, for the fun and distraction which you provide.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Topic(DELETED) [FORTRESS] Ajanfindel the Clever Combatant, M... [View all] , Death_Angel, Thu 25-Jun-20 07:30 AM
Reply Solid Leader, Krendala (Anonymous), 22-Jul-20 12:23 PM, #8
Reply And here we are. Holy ####., Quixotic, 27-Jun-20 06:53 PM #1
     Reply You swell ol'timer!, Panmorne, 27-Jun-20 07:56 PM, #2
     Reply Awesome job, rex spangler, 27-Jun-20 08:00 PM, #3
     Reply RE: And here we are. Holy ####., Deiramor (Anonymous), 29-Jun-20 08:57 AM, #4
     Reply Catching up!, Devrena (Anonymous), 09-Jul-20 05:13 PM, #5
     Reply Duergar-killing build, Twist, 13-Jul-20 10:26 AM, #6
     Reply RE: And here we are. Holy ####., jensen (Anonymous), 17-Jul-20 01:01 AM, #7
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #139272 Previous topic | Next topic