Subject: "RE: Strongly disagree" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Events & Contests Topic #1045
Show all folders

EshvalTue 03-Apr-07 06:35 PM
Member since 22nd Aug 2004
519 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1053, "RE: Strongly disagree"

I find that if I watch a character and there is no role, or a role written at level one (and the character is substantially older), I can easily misconstrue what is happening to/with that character. As an example, a character finds the Bill the Outlander killed a Battle Buddy, so the character I am watching takes vengeance out on the Outlanders. So I watch, and all I see is someone attacking Outlanders with no idea why. Am I going to spend hours watching that character to see if the rp give a hint to what is going on, or will I make a note that 'Character A is slaughtering Outlanders, no idea why?'.

Sure, I will watch for a bit, but as has been noted, there are more players than imms, and I want to do something else rather than learn the intricate details of this situation, what brought them to this point, why and when will (if ever) the slaughter stop. So a couple of these observations and the character's alignment may take a hit. The character complains...and what am I supposed to do? Keep watching as if this were a full-time job in an effort to understand your motivations.

For me, it just doesn't work well. I try to read roles and descriptions on a daily basis, watch characters, give rewards (I love rewards!), and a myriad of other tasks.

Is it valid to write something and never add a thing? Sure. Each immortal will view it differently.

You may just watch the character itself (actually it is a preferred way).

Not really, no. I enjoy watching characters, but for me to watch several dozen characters who play at varied times and days in an attempt to discern their actions is not very effective. I think you have the belief that we have all the time in the world.

That being said, you can approach it in any fashion you desire, as long as you are having fun. It is my hope that you will understand that I was giving 'my' criteria for reading/judging roles. And, oddly enough I also do this to have fun.

Eshval's email
BlackMarquessa@gmail.com

Eshval's slightly off-center (unofficial) blog.
http://blackmarquessa.blogspot.com/
Carnivàle
http://cirquecarnivale.wordpress.com/

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicMarch Role Contest Winners! [View all] , Eshval, Sat 31-Mar-07 01:30 PM
Reply Question, Julio (Guest), 03-Apr-07 10:54 PM, #9
Reply Answer, Daevryn, 04-Apr-07 12:37 AM, #10
Reply Thoughts, Eshval, 02-Apr-07 09:04 PM, #1
     Reply Questions, Rodriguez, 03-Apr-07 02:13 PM, #2
     Reply RE: Questions, Daevryn, 03-Apr-07 02:45 PM, #4
     Reply RE: Questions, Eshval, 03-Apr-07 10:54 PM, #7
     Reply Strongly disagree, Dwoggurd, 03-Apr-07 02:40 PM, #3
          Reply RE: Strongly disagree, Daevryn, 03-Apr-07 02:46 PM, #5
          Reply RE: Strongly disagree, Valguarnera, 03-Apr-07 03:13 PM, #6
          Reply RE: Strongly disagree, Eshval, 03-Apr-07 10:54 PM #8
Top General Discussions Events & Contests Topic #1045 Previous topic | Next topic