Subject: "Thoughts" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Events & Contests Topic #1045
Show all folders

EshvalMon 02-Apr-07 08:59 PM
Member since 22nd Aug 2004
519 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1046, "Thoughts"

General Comments

I enjoy reading roles, its a great deal of fun and gives me a lot of insight into the varied imaginations of other creative people. Roles are tricky when writing, because we often try to force the character towards unreasonable or unattainable heights. I like to start roles with a basic background story that explains how I got to where I am today. Additional chapters are useful for character exploration and growth.

Roles many times have a set path in mind, and they are so rigid and unyielding that the character is not allowed to grow and progress naturally. I personally do not enjoy that a character holds a belief from its inception and there are no more entries, or that character sticks 'only' to that one belief. Never is the belief questioned or challenged in the character's life. As has been said, "the unexamined life is not worth living." (Socrates - Apology 38a). While this belief cost him his life, it is quite appropriate when creating and continuing roles. As each even happens, characters are exposed to more and more stimuli which inevitably *should* cause subtle changes in their perceptions.

It is a rare thing for a character to examine her/his life to discern and discover what answers are uncovered by their actions or lack of actions, and what beliefs they hold or express about themselves and the world around them. With this in mind, I read roles to see if not only the basic guide to "Bob the Warrior" is expressed, but to see if the character is approached as a 'real, living person'. By this I mean, does the character's role show growth or understanding as to why they are there and why things are as they are. When I find such a role, it tells me I have discovered a diamond in the rough, and I tend to keep an eye on them as they travel Thera.

Bleh - enough of that.

Don't - write a role of lists.
Don't - write a role early and never add to it.
Don't - write a role without an atlas (a map that informs the reader what all of it means and why)
Don't - ever believe a reader will understand what your are saying, we do not read your intentions or your mind.
Don't - slap a role together just to put down a reason for behaviors.
Don't - ever be the person who is the son/daughter/aunt of a god/demon/devil unless your rp and alignment can support it.
Don't - forget to give some white space (places without text)...paragraphs and sentence breaks are necessary!

Do - add to your role regularly.
Do - think and consider before you write.
Do - take time to spell check and proof read your role.
Do - use your sense of wonder and imagination.
Do - remember that your creation *should* act within certain bounds.(1)
Do - think: Would someone *really* act like this?

(1) Characters should act not only like their race, but they should act as if they are living. Their lives/roles should reflect the life they lived and not be so out-of-bounds as to make the reader role their eyes is disbelief. Many roles incorporate humor, dark satire, differing points of view, and so on, but they all have something in common: They reflect how the reader should perceive the character and understand what makes them tick.

All this is just my thoughts. If you care less about how you and your creation is perceived, write less and have fun. Know that if the role is not 'interesting' or 'thoughtful' readers will not heap praises upon you. Give it a shot, though...you might just have fun in the process.

Eshval's email
BlackMarquessa@gmail.com

Eshval's slightly off-center (unofficial) blog.
http://blackmarquessa.blogspot.com/
Carnivàle
http://cirquecarnivale.wordpress.com/

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicMarch Role Contest Winners! [View all] , Eshval, Sat 31-Mar-07 01:30 PM
Reply Question, Julio (Guest), 03-Apr-07 10:54 PM, #9
Reply Answer, Daevryn, 04-Apr-07 12:37 AM, #10
Reply Thoughts, Eshval, 02-Apr-07 09:04 PM #1
     Reply Questions, Rodriguez, 03-Apr-07 02:13 PM, #2
     Reply RE: Questions, Daevryn, 03-Apr-07 02:45 PM, #4
     Reply RE: Questions, Eshval, 03-Apr-07 10:54 PM, #7
     Reply Strongly disagree, Dwoggurd, 03-Apr-07 02:40 PM, #3
          Reply RE: Strongly disagree, Daevryn, 03-Apr-07 02:46 PM, #5
          Reply RE: Strongly disagree, Valguarnera, 03-Apr-07 03:13 PM, #6
          Reply RE: Strongly disagree, Eshval, 03-Apr-07 10:54 PM, #8
Top General Discussions Events & Contests Topic #1045 Previous topic | Next topic