Subject: "December 23: More Nostalgia" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Announcements Twist the Season to Be Jolly Topic #128
Show all folders

TwistMon 23-Dec-13 12:33 PM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#128, "December 23: More Nostalgia"

Worldwide summon. Man, I used to be able to gate to mobs, then summon my groupmates. That was the life. Of course, it made me have no idea how to get from point A to point B, even at high levels.

Of course, worldwide summon got abused all to hell. Back then, you could summon someone to a noexit room. You could also charm them, and order them to remove all and then order them to recall.

There was no anti-gank code. That gang of 6 guys that came after your sadass group of 3 while you tried to level was going to eat you. Probably in a round.

Of course, finding you probably wasn't hard, since if they were Masters they had tesseract. If they were Shadow they had eyes of intrigue. If they were a mixed group of Shadow and Master, they'd eyes you, then tess to you.

But then, if you were a rager, things weren't all bad. After all, your spellbane did ANNIHILATES, and there was no such thing as protective shield, so bash could make most anyone dead, dead, dead.

Speaking of ragers, they really took it in the pants during the time period when we removed free recall above 10th level but didn't yet have Truesight stop them from entering noexit rooms. At least by then, you couldn't summon to a noexit.

Master cabal was down from the Great Tree, which was 13 steps west of Midgaard. Battle cabal was right near Dwarven Daycare, and the Destructor was at the entrance and attacked anyone non-battle. Many low-levelers died, thinking they were going east to Dwarven Daycare but were one step too far north. Shadow cabal I don't think I knew of, at least not the original location. Justice cabal was in Midgaard IIRC, but I could very well be wrong about that. I don't know if I ever knew where Entropy was either.

Harpies! Up a chain from South Midgaard was Dylan's Area, which was full of aggro harpies and hidden air elementals. And a knight of the rose, a level 30 good aligned mob with armor that seemed really awesome to me at the time, but later I realized it was pretty much crap.

No corpseguard. No level limit for looters. A level 1 could, with enough patience, get a full suit of awesome gear if he just hung around high level chars waiting for one to die.

Of course, the high level chars could just summon mobs like the hurricane and attack it, causing it to area attack and likely kill the lowbie. Or summon an aggro mob. Or lead an aggro mob into town.

When Arboria first went in, GhostRider took Saher and me through it, killing most everything. Saher died fighting the Onyx Demon (or Dragon, I forget).

Lancelot, Saher and I (and others such as Cador, Xina, Toranku, Nighthawk at times) leveled up on Wights and Liches in the Silver Tower of Arboria. They wandered and would repop in huge groups. Lancelot once scanned down and saw 8 of them and suggested we needed a grenade of some sort.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: December 23: More Nostalgia, AncientNewbie, 24-Dec-13 01:16 AM, #6
Reply Speaking of harpies..., Torak, 25-Dec-13 09:47 PM, #5
Reply how about eqipping mercs?, Dallevian, 23-Dec-13 02:08 PM, #2
Reply RE: how about eqipping mercs?, Twist, 23-Dec-13 02:13 PM, #4
Reply RE: December 23: More Nostalgia, Trouble, 23-Dec-13 02:08 PM, #1
     Reply RE: December 23: More Nostalgia, Twist, 23-Dec-13 02:11 PM, #3

AncientNewbieMon 23-Dec-13 11:40 PM
Member since 26th Oct 2010
29 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#135, "RE: December 23: More Nostalgia"
In response to Reply #0

Anybody remember back in about 95-96 when they were switching domains and had a beta instance up for a while to test out the new site before going live? Automatic lvl 40 when rolling up a character, newbie sacks full of pretty solid gear, typical for Tiamat and/or the matron mother to be sitting in market square, some Imm (Sacer maybe?) tossed an avg 80 shadow dagger into the mix for a while (made for some nasty dual backstabs). That was one hell of a free for all. The kind of thing that would lose its appeal fairly quickly, but for just a couple of days it was a blast.

TorakMon 23-Dec-13 06:46 PM
Member since 15th Feb 2007
1216 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#133, "Speaking of harpies..."
In response to Reply #0

Leveling in Galadon, or the air above, is an approach I really feel the game failed on over the years - we need people to centralize to areas and having people not have a billion options at lower levels to rank is a good thing. Why drive people far away (especially the Past with lowbie movement issues) or get rid of these core areas.

Voralia is a good example of how you can rank for awhile in a city and here is to hoping this never changes. One of the best features of the 100 people was contesting areas and actually having a range. Even a skilled veteran, it can take quite awhile to find people... not sure I agree with the suggestions for "eyes of the eagle" type of 'where' command but I'd be definitely up for combining areas.

DallevianMon 23-Dec-13 02:00 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1613 posts
#130, "how about eqipping mercs?"
In response to Reply #0

and how you could multiply it : )

TwistMon 23-Dec-13 02:13 PM
3431 posts
#132, "RE: how about eqipping mercs?"
In response to Reply #2

>and how you could multiply it : )

Ah yes, the old "quit and log back in" bug.

For those unfamiliar, you used to be able to have a pet (charmie) that you purchased, such as giant mercenaries, and order it to wear/wield items. So you could buy one, kill the red dragon, o all get all, o all wear all.

No big deal. But then you could quit, and the eq would poof from the merc, but not the damroll bonus.

So, log back in, repeat. There were people with mercs with 200 damrolls and stuff, doing crazy stupid damage.

I believe that got changed real quick-like.

TroubleMon 23-Dec-13 01:42 PM
Member since 10th Nov 2003
208 posts
#129, "RE: December 23: More Nostalgia"
In response to Reply #0

Entropy was near Elemental Canyon/Ostallagah (sp?) if I recall correctly, but man it's been a while. I think it was near where Pico had his shrine in a later age but I may be confusing the two. I think we had it north of Midgaard for a while too.

How many gnolls did we (Twist and Truck and a few others) kill? Thousands?

Remember the homework social? Use to be my favorite because it was so apropos at the time.

I remember a mortal of mine, whose name I can't remember, convincing the Justice cabal that wielding weapons in Midgaard should be illegal. Much fun and chaos ensued.

And I remember when 'call bears' was one of the most awesome things a ranger in Masters could do -- transform; call bears; have ~5-6000 ups to play with.

Fond memories indeed, thanks Twist. And Happy Holidays!

TwistMon 23-Dec-13 02:11 PM
3431 posts
#131, "RE: December 23: More Nostalgia"
In response to Reply #1

>Entropy was near Elemental Canyon/Ostallagah (sp?) if I
>recall correctly, but man it's been a while. I think it was
>near where Pico had his shrine in a later age but I may be
>confusing the two. I think we had it north of Midgaard for a
>while too.
>
>How many gnolls did we (Twist and Truck and a few others)
>kill? Thousands?

Oh good lord yes. And the dragons in the (original) dragon tower. Those two gnolls, killed over and over and over again, are the reason there are gnolls in the Forest of NoWhere.

>Remember the homework social? Use to be my favorite because it
>was so apropos at the time.

I always dreaded seeing you use that social because it generally meant you were going to tell the group you had to log off soon.

>I remember a mortal of mine, whose name I can't remember,
>convincing the Justice cabal that wielding weapons in Midgaard
>should be illegal. Much fun and chaos ensued.

I remember being so pissed about that (like everyone else was, on the gossip channel) when someone reminded me that mages don't really need a weapon to do damage. "Oh yeah."

>And I remember when 'call bears' was one of the most awesome
>things a ranger in Masters could do -- transform; call bears;
>have ~5-6000 ups to play with.

And (to go with Dallevian's post) equipping the bears with red dragon eq. And remember the relatively short period of time when bears were 1.5 times the caster's level?

>Fond memories indeed, thanks Twist. And Happy Holidays!

Likewise!

Top General Discussions Announcements Twist the Season to Be Jolly Topic #128 Previous topic | Next topic