Subject: "Official CF Ventrilo Server" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top Santa Zulg 2010 Topic #184
Show all folders

SplntrdFri 26-Nov-10 01:00 PM
Member since 08th Feb 2004
1096 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#184, "Official CF Ventrilo Server"

Moderate it however you wish. (No coordinating between active characters, trading quest info, the usual.) Recruit player mods to maintain standards in off-hours.

Topics can include: Real-time discussion with immortals, advice for strategy, gearing, etc., off-topicness, etc.

Splntrd

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ZulghinlourSat 27-Nov-10 12:41 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
9792 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#185, "RE: Official CF Ventrilo Server"
In response to Reply #0

>Moderate it however you wish. (No coordinating between active
>characters, trading quest info, the usual.) Recruit player
>mods to maintain standards in off-hours.

I wouldn't even begin to know how to moderate a Ventrilo server successfully with rules that you couldn't co-ordinate. That is the main reason people USE Ventrilo (every WoW guild I was in used one for raids).

>Topics can include: Real-time discussion with immortals,
>advice for strategy, gearing, etc., off-topicness, etc.

The only thing I've kicked around similarly is a town-hall style conversation using IRC where Imms could join in and answer questions, but never really had the time to try it.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

SplntrdSat 27-Nov-10 01:01 PM
Member since 08th Feb 2004
1096 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#186, "RE: Official CF Ventrilo Server"
In response to Reply #1

I see your point with ventrilo; I was thinking about my experiences in Team Fortress 2 where all-talk servers encourage good sportsmanship. The other thing it does is if EVERYBODY is on the channel, people may not want to reveal their characters or coordinate that way, simply because your enemies will know that information too. CF is competitive enough that I could see that happening. Then again, CF also has a very casual element that just doesn't give a ####, and that would be detrimental to the success of the channel.

>>Topics can include: Real-time discussion with immortals,
>>advice for strategy, gearing, etc., off-topicness, etc.

>The only thing I've kicked around similarly is a town-hall style >conversation using IRC where Imms could join in and answer questions, >but never really had the time to try it."

My gaming organization uses a skype group for this: it's newer, free-to-use technology. Basically everyone involved with the chat just leaves the window open and conversation happens sporadically through the day. Skype even remembers messages that were inputted while your program was closed, so if you open it up again after several days you can review (although that means skimming hundreds of messages, many of them social) Channel moderators can even delete and edit messages they might view harmful, as well as the usual kick/ban. Definitely the way I'd go for something like that.

Splntrd

AmberionSat 27-Nov-10 02:27 PM
Member since 06th Jun 2007
945 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#187, "Awesome idea. Skype would be perfect for that stuff. N/..."
In response to Reply #2

N/T

Always shoot first and then call whatever you hit the target.

Top Santa Zulg 2010 Topic #184 Previous topic | Next topic