Subject: "Curious about forum moderation." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #70821
Show all folders

Matrik-Tue 08-May-18 12:14 PM
Member since 21st Feb 2018
73 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70821, "Curious about forum moderation."

Why so much locking of threads? Especially the most recent one about shapeshifters? All the others too though.

The main page of the gameplay forum has threads dating back to april 18. It's not like the threads are burying more important/diverse/current topics. Why not just let the players discuss the game on the gameplay forum like they want to? It's not like they are spamming halfling threads (though they should be). No matter how much something is discussed it doesn't force Umiron's hand to code anything. Even worse, people just make a new thread about the same thing. Though obviously they do that anyway lol.

Genuine curiosity regarding the motives of the moderation and the intended end-goal.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Because if a thread becomes bigger than the currently b..., Marcus_, 10-May-18 12:58 PM, #6
Reply Some answers., Jormyr, 10-May-18 12:25 AM, #4
Reply I see..., Matrik-, 10-May-18 09:15 AM, #5
Reply RE: Curious about forum moderation., Angry Complainer (Anonymous), 09-May-18 07:53 PM, #3
Reply RE: Curious about forum moderation., robdarken_, 08-May-18 01:55 PM, #1
     Reply Yeah., Matrik-, 08-May-18 02:48 PM, #2

Marcus_Thu 10-May-18 12:58 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
681 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70833, "Because if a thread becomes bigger than the currently b..."
In response to Reply #0

It will throw the imm community into chaos

Muahaha

JormyrThu 10-May-18 12:25 AM
Member since 31st Dec 2014
422 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70826, "Some answers."
In response to Reply #0

As one of the few who can lock threads, I generally do so when I
feel the discussion has reached a point that it is no longer
contributing to the conversation. I, personally, also try to also
comment when/why I lock a thread. The shifter thread I did not
lock, but likely was done as that's a horse that has been beaten to
death, animated, killed and beaten a few more times, and then the
body parts reanimated for good measure use.

The ban conversation appeared to be very quickly descending into
insults and anger rather than productive discussion. I didn't lock
the bat conversation, but that appeared to have run its course as
well. Personally, I did some trial runs with a few others, relayed
that feedback. Umiron also has mentioned it's on his watch list.
I trust his judgement once he's gathered sufficient data.

Matrik-Thu 10-May-18 09:15 AM
73 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70831, "I see..."
In response to Reply #4
Edited on Thu 10-May-18 09:15 AM

So basically baby sitting. Overall it seems like a waste of your time and fruitless effort imo.

A mostly dead forum with mostly bitter old nerds pissing on each other. Let the old turds be.

Seriously though, it does make some sense to lock a thread that is consistently just devolved into Frosty/Kstat style back and forth. I don't think it makes sense to lock a thread just because the conversation has happened before or you (someone) feels it's a dead horse. It's the gameplay forum. Let players talk about the game. Maybe that's all that's relevant to them to talk about right. I'd say, if that's true, then you're in pretty good shape too.

Then again if you're only other problem is a bit heavy-handed forum moderation, you're still in good shape.

EDIT: ...and thanks for actually answering.

Angry Complainer (Anonymous)Wed 09-May-18 07:53 PM
Charter member
#70825, "RE: Curious about forum moderation."
In response to Reply #0

I can't answer this. But, I do think it was a little unfair of me to call out Dest about deleting his shifter and mentioning forms as a contributing factor. He played a char, claimed it and was being transparent about why he deleted. None of things should be used against him as I would like him to continue all three. So, sorry, Dest.

robdarken_Tue 08-May-18 01:55 PM
Member since 09th Sep 2009
374 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#70822, "RE: Curious about forum moderation."
In response to Reply #0

It's nice when it encourages people to make a new thread to reduce the sprawl of a huge one, but nothing on the 1st page on this board is like that. So yes someone is kind of a dumbass.

Matrik-Tue 08-May-18 02:48 PM
73 posts
#70824, "Yeah."
In response to Reply #1

I could see wanting to keep sprawl down if there was any. Like you said, nothing even close to the sort here. Would make sense if it was like Bob's battlefield thread, but Tom and Bill were using it to have a pissing contest.

Then again, maybe we've stumbled on some hidden rule such that if we spam one particular change request enough Umiron is code bound to implement it. They lock things to avoid changes they don't want.

COMMENCE THE HALFLING SPAM

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #70821 Previous topic | Next topic