Subject: "Following Kstat's ban I want to discuss something" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #70693
Show all folders

MurphyThu 03-May-18 08:20 PM
Member since 30th Dec 2010
1639 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70693, "Following Kstat's ban I want to discuss something"
Edited on Thu 03-May-18 08:53 PM

Have you guys considered how often you guys get false positives on rule-breaking?

Let me count some instances I personally know of.

A hero dude drops some gear on Eastern Road, to free inventory space. Goes on his business, forgets or doesn't care to pick it back up. A few hours later a level 11 dude walks down Eastern Road, sees some nice (to his level) gear and picks it up and wears it. Slay for gear passing. Because both dudes have Russian IPs, no other proof needed.

A dude plays a necromancer. "We've been suspecting you in a rules breach but we won't tell you what we are denying you for. You know what you did." So I don't know if he actually broke any rules, but why were you being coy and not giving him a chance to explain himself? You are not omniscient and you can be mistaken, and a level 51 necro character is at stake.

A dude has some buddies he's been mudding together with, long since before he's been into CF. They communicate out of game, exchange rumors and gossip. One of them happens to make Emperor (without vote collusion!) and gets banned for vague reasons. Others are left wondering if they are being left for dessert and will just get denied at a more opportune time (e.g. after they've invested more into their current characters).

So great, now I have to be careful what I pick up because it might be seen as cheating and I have to be careful what I say in a chatroom with my buddies because it might be seen as cheating? This is a goddamn GAME, stop being so anal.

Follow-up:
When Delaed was deleting, he dumped all of his (awesome) gear set on a random level 43 evil dude. Dude happened to be me.

What do you think I did? I gave most of the gear away to different people, and even sold a couple pieces to merchants. (EDIT: I just looked it up and turns out I did keep one or two pieces.)

Why did I do so? Because I knew Delaed was Shapa, and it could've easily be seen as passing gear between OOC buddies.

I'm just glad I knew. If I didn't know who Delaed was, I would've kept most of the suit and then promptly be slayed or denied for "cheating".

By the way, even though I knew it was Shapa, I was not sure if he wasn't gonna kill me when he asked me to come to Seantryn.

I want to play a CF where I need not worry about such things. Where I don't need to be paranoid about picking up gear at Eastern Road. Where I can PK my buddies but still talk to them on Skype/Discord/Google Hangouts. Where I can give gear advice to people outside the game. Where I can accept IC gifts and not think "how will this reflect on me in the eyes of immortals?". Etc etc.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Top

Reply Locked. Don't see this providing any further useful di..., Jormyr, 06-May-18 02:56 PM, #27
Reply In order to prevent situations like this in the future, Marcus_, 06-May-18 03:33 AM, #25
Reply This made me chuckle, Kstatida, 06-May-18 07:47 AM, #26
Reply RE: Following Kstat's ban I want to discuss something, Thaedan (Anonymous), 03-May-18 10:47 PM, #5
Reply I drafted a long answer to this but the forum gobbled i..., Murphy, 03-May-18 11:25 PM, #8
Reply Question from curiosity..., Matrik-, 03-May-18 10:45 PM, #4
Reply I do not want to publicly answer this question. (n/t), Murphy, 03-May-18 11:05 PM, #6
Reply Yes or No Mr. Murph., Matrik-, 03-May-18 11:10 PM, #7
     Reply Yes., Murphy, 03-May-18 11:28 PM, #9
          Reply Fair enough., Matrik-, 04-May-18 12:19 AM, #10
Reply Yes, incognito, 04-May-18 04:48 PM, #18
Reply Banhammer, laxman, 03-May-18 08:59 PM, #1
     Reply I've had an experience that made me think differently., Murphy, 03-May-18 09:27 PM, #2
          Reply RE: I've had an experience that made me think different..., Umiron, 03-May-18 10:00 PM, #3
               Reply Wait, did I REALLY transferred that Armageddon?, Kstatida, 04-May-18 03:09 AM, #11
                    Reply Yeah but I am mad., Murphy, 04-May-18 03:53 AM, #12
                         Reply You don't wannt know, Kstatida, 04-May-18 04:19 AM, #13
                         Reply OMG just stop it., k-b, 04-May-18 11:02 AM, #14
                              Reply Fwiw, you aren't doing anyone any favors with this whol..., Destuvius, 04-May-18 01:09 PM, #15
                              Reply Nope., Matrik-, 04-May-18 08:24 PM, #19
                                   Reply Aren't you banned, Matrik?, Murphy, 04-May-18 08:26 PM, #20
                                   Reply No., Matrik-, 05-May-18 04:32 PM, #24
                                   Reply You got me, I do use aliases..., Destuvius, 04-May-18 09:32 PM, #21
                                        Reply I depends, scr, 05-May-18 02:58 AM, #23
                              Reply ####ing racist you are., scr, 04-May-18 01:48 PM, #16
                              Reply I never stop when I am angry., Murphy, 04-May-18 04:08 PM, #17
                              Reply muh russian collusion. nt, robdarken_, 04-May-18 10:07 PM, #22

JormyrSun 06-May-18 02:56 PM
Member since 31st Dec 2014
422 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70755, "Locked. Don't see this providing any further useful di..."
In response to Reply #0

Marcus_Sun 06-May-18 03:33 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
681 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70744, "In order to prevent situations like this in the future"
In response to Reply #0

I suggest that we replace the word 'name' with 'cockroach'

By what cockroach do you wish to be mourned?

Also scarabs are just glorified fuking dung roaches

KstatidaSun 06-May-18 07:47 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70747, "This made me chuckle"
In response to Reply #25

twice

Thaedan (Anonymous)Thu 03-May-18 10:47 PM
Charter member
#70700, "RE: Following Kstat's ban I want to discuss something"
In response to Reply #0

You guys should draw straws and each play in a different cabal. I jest. Sort of. (Could actually be fun).

MurphyThu 03-May-18 11:25 PM
1639 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70703, "I drafted a long answer to this but the forum gobbled i..."
In response to Reply #5

I'll just say most of us WERE in different cabals. Or without a cabal at all.

Matrik-Thu 03-May-18 10:45 PM
Member since 21st Feb 2018
73 posts
#70699, "Question from curiosity..."
In response to Reply #0

Have you ever been punished for something you didn't do in Carrion Fields? I could be wrong, but I'm guessing up front that you haven't been.

IMO, you're likely a perfect case study in how someone can be Russian and also not be mistreated based on that.

MurphyThu 03-May-18 11:05 PM
1639 posts
#70701, "I do not want to publicly answer this question. (n/t)"
In response to Reply #4

NT

Matrik-Thu 03-May-18 11:10 PM
73 posts
#70702, "Yes or No Mr. Murph."
In response to Reply #6

Seriously though what's the harm in a yes or no. Have you been wrongfully punished or not? You're being overly dramatic.

MurphyThu 03-May-18 11:28 PM
1639 posts
#70704, "Yes."
In response to Reply #7
Edited on Thu 03-May-18 11:28 PM

I did not want to bring it up because the punishment was removed after my inquiry. But it turned out that a random unknown Russian IP holds much less trust than a Russian IP known to belong to Murphy.

It also showed me quite clearly that the punishment system is not infallible.

Matrik-Fri 04-May-18 12:19 AM
73 posts
#70705, "Fair enough."
In response to Reply #9

Thanks for answering.

incognitoFri 04-May-18 04:48 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70720, "Yes"
In response to Reply #4

As a magistrate I got booted for taking 3 gold to leave town until I ranked.

The necromancer paying was wanted and hoped to get to the ghoul tunnels.

He wouldn't stop into town when I was there. I wanted to kill him.

I knew I could Simon a mob and kill it before he got in and then ambush him with the aim of killing him. In my eyes out was good to for a lawful evil because I would keep the letter of the agreement but are him over in the process.

Unfortunately the moment I suggested he paid me I got booted. Then an imm wanted to talk to me about it so I couldn't stop the necromancer when he came into town.

That said, I don't mind that much because I think it's important to catch tribs who are really corrupt.

laxmanThu 03-May-18 08:59 PM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#70696, "Banhammer"
In response to Reply #0

The imms don’t bring out the hammer lightly and there are lots of examples of the. Giving incredible leeway in terms of warnings and inaction(glik is a recent example, shapa and abusing login mechanics is another). I don’t know what was in those logs but if it was just general talking about stuff I would imagine more players would have been denied/banned. So either he has a long history of warnings or there was something only he did in that group they deemed serious enough for a ban.

MurphyThu 03-May-18 09:27 PM
1639 posts
#70697, "I've had an experience that made me think differently."
In response to Reply #1

If you have a Russian IP, the leeway is much much less.

UmironThu 03-May-18 10:00 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1497 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70698, "RE: I've had an experience that made me think different..."
In response to Reply #2

>If you have a Russian IP, the leeway is much much less.

I think recent events are a pretty good case for why this specifically isn't the case.

Of course, I have the advantage of being able to see the situation through the lens of someone who knows just how often we've not denied/banned someone, *.ru especially included, because we didn't feel like we had a good enough case despite being pretty damn confident we'd be in the right. In many cases, I'm thinking of exactly the scenarios you described. Possibly even the same individuals.

I disagree with you and think, in fact, that it look a lot, not a little, for the characters involved to end up being punished.

And that's the entirety of what I intend to say publicly about all this drama.

P.S. Next time you guys send us a big bag of evidence, plz include the pee pee tape. We've tried everyone and nothing's working.

KstatidaFri 04-May-18 03:09 AM
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70706, "Wait, did I REALLY transferred that Armageddon?"
In response to Reply #3

Oh my how COULD that have possibly happened?

That being said I'm totally not mad at you ppl. I enjoy the thought of being able not to play anymore. I'm kinda sad with shapa though.

MurphyFri 04-May-18 03:53 AM
1639 posts
#70708, "Yeah but I am mad."
In response to Reply #11

Because apparently, that's some enormous shadow cast on all Russians playing the game and I don't even know exactly what you did.

I mean other than sharing a who list. Who the hell bans for that?

What Armageddon?

KstatidaFri 04-May-18 04:19 AM
2214 posts
#70709, "You don't wannt know"
In response to Reply #12

or they ban you

k-bFri 04-May-18 11:02 AM
Member since 19th Mar 2010
344 posts
#70711, "OMG just stop it."
In response to Reply #12

Do you honestly think the playerbase doesn't know many Russians have been cheating for a long while, now? Do you really think we're that stupid? I've known for years and I'm sure I'm not the only one. It was one of those unspoken truths that no one really talked about because we obviously don't have 100% proof, but if you've played enough then it's completely obvious.

You FINALLY got caught, because one of your own decided to have some balls and expose you, and now you're reaching for ways that you've been wronged. I'm not sure the extent of it all, but I'm 100% positive that many Russian players have been cheating for many years. This is your come-uppins. I, for one, am glad that Russian IP's will be heavily scrutinized. It's your own fault. Now play the game like you're supposed to (I.E. no collusion) and stop crying. This is LONG overdue.

Hell, if it were me in charge, I'd probably ban all Russian IP's for a year just to make a point. You got off light, as far as I'm concerned.

DestuviusFri 04-May-18 01:09 PM
Member since 08th Oct 2013
1012 posts
#70713, "Fwiw, you aren't doing anyone any favors with this whol..."
In response to Reply #14

The last thing anyone is looking to accomplish with this whole event is to create a further divide within the playerbase based on where they live.

To some degree, all of our players are dirty rotten cheaters so no one really has a leg to stand on in this finger pointing game. Except for me of course, cause I'm just that cool.

Matrik-Fri 04-May-18 08:24 PM
73 posts
#70722, "Nope."
In response to Reply #15

I'm not a dirty rotten cheater, but you are. I'm 100% positive you use aliases.

Stevers and I are the only true CFers to have ever existed.

MurphyFri 04-May-18 08:26 PM
1639 posts
#70723, "Aren't you banned, Matrik?"
In response to Reply #19

Case in point.

Matrik-Sat 05-May-18 04:32 PM
73 posts
#70730, "No."
In response to Reply #20

Umiron unbanned me a while back. I've been playing for months now.

Also, I wasn't banned for cheating. I was banned for spamming newbie characters with dumb names and filling the starting room with corpses.

DestuviusFri 04-May-18 09:32 PM
Member since 08th Oct 2013
1012 posts
#70724, "You got me, I do use aliases..."
In response to Reply #19

but how else am I supposed to ban everyone? The commands are just soooooooooo long to type =(

scrSat 05-May-18 02:58 AM
Member since 07th Jan 2017
75 posts
#70726, "I depends"
In response to Reply #21

do you use aliases to ban people as well?

scrFri 04-May-18 01:48 PM
Member since 07th Jan 2017
75 posts
#70716, "####ing racist you are."
In response to Reply #14

You look so confident when talk things you have no ####ing clue about. I just don't care how old and respectable player you are but this is clearly behavior of propaganda victim and it doesn't look good.

MurphyFri 04-May-18 04:08 PM
1639 posts
#70719, "I never stop when I am angry."
In response to Reply #14

I'm glad you're not in charge, fascist scum.

robdarken_Fri 04-May-18 10:07 PM
Member since 09th Sep 2009
374 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#70725, "muh russian collusion. nt"
In response to Reply #14

nt

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #70693 Previous topic | Next topic