Subject: "Problem with say/tell" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #54900
Show all folders

Mavado (Anonymous)Wed 23-Apr-14 05:44 PM
Charter member
#54900, "Problem with say/tell"

Im not sure whats going on with my character but I can't get anyone to hear me using say, sayto, tell, whisper or whisperto.

I can see the command working but nobody seems to be able to hear me.

I also noticed going into the dream that the cat couldnt hear the word when I used say but could hear it when I used whisper. Can an Imm fix this or maybe something wrong with my client? Say/Tell etc work fine with my alt so im thinking its in game problem.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Problem with say/tell, Daevryn, 22-Apr-14 07:37 PM, #1
     Reply Ugh! Makes sense now...., Mavado (Anonymous), 22-Apr-14 10:00 PM, #2
          Reply veteran hint for hide spam practice, Terwin05, 23-Apr-14 08:31 AM, #3
               Reply you can 'vis hide' instead. nt, Dallevian, 23-Apr-14 09:05 AM, #4
               Reply RE: you can 'vis hide' instead. nt, Terwin05, 23-Apr-14 10:09 AM, #5
               Reply improved hide...?, Mavado (Anonymous), 23-Apr-14 09:14 AM, #7
               Reply RE: improved hide...?, Terwin05, 23-Apr-14 10:10 AM, #6
               Reply I used to trigger the anti-spam also..., mage, 23-Apr-14 11:06 PM, #8
               Reply There's no need to step out of shadows to spam up basic..., mage, 23-Apr-14 11:09 PM, #9

DaevrynTue 22-Apr-14 07:37 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#54901, "RE: Problem with say/tell"
In response to Reply #0

As an automated anti-spam measure, if you spam communication enough, people will stop being able to hear you for a while. I'd bet this is the case for you.

Mavado (Anonymous)Tue 22-Apr-14 10:00 PM
Charter member
#54902, "Ugh! Makes sense now...."
In response to Reply #1

I spammed 'hi' to myself in order to practice up improved hide.

How long does this last?

Terwin05Wed 23-Apr-14 08:31 AM
Member since 22nd Dec 2005
124 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#54903, "veteran hint for hide spam practice"
In response to Reply #2

the 'order' command (or just 'o') without arguments will bring you out of the shadows without dropping sneak, and without any lag.

if that's a bug, and i've just been abusing it for 20 years, then apologies!

DallevianWed 23-Apr-14 09:05 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1639 posts
#54905, "you can 'vis hide' instead. nt"
In response to Reply #3

nt

Terwin05Wed 23-Apr-14 10:09 AM
124 posts
#54907, "RE: you can 'vis hide' instead. nt"
In response to Reply #4

no lag? or is that only if it de-sneaks you?

Mavado (Anonymous)Wed 23-Apr-14 05:44 PM
Charter member
#54906, "improved hide...?"
In response to Reply #3

I was thinking that for improved hide you had to perform an action that triggers improved hide like opening/closing a door or telling to someone. You can practice it up the same way you do regular hide is what you are saying?

Terwin05Wed 23-Apr-14 10:10 AM
124 posts
#54909, "RE: improved hide...?"
In response to Reply #7

Actually, probably not!

mageWed 23-Apr-14 11:06 PM
Member since 05th Apr 2008
248 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#54928, "I used to trigger the anti-spam also..."
In response to Reply #7

Did it a couple times before an Imm finally told me what was actually happening. Best way to practice improved hide is to get yourself a container and spam open and close on it. Closing doors has lag, but closing containers does not. Easiest place to do this is inside your thief guild, using the guild chest. Alternatively, you could use the container you carry your stuff around in.

mageWed 23-Apr-14 11:09 PM
Member since 05th Apr 2008
248 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#54929, "There's no need to step out of shadows to spam up basic..."
In response to Reply #3

You can just hide again while you're already in the shadows. If the new attempt fails, you'll be visible again (with no "step out" echo), and if you succeed, you'll remain hidden, but the skill will still be checked. Doing it like this should nearly double the speed at which you perfect hide, since you only have to send in half the commands:

o
hide
o
hide
o
hide

vs:

hide
hide
hide
hide

Enjoy!