Subject: "Olog-Hai "abuse"?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #54631
Show all folders

Orenval (Anonymous)Fri 21-Mar-14 04:38 PM
Charter member
#54631, "Olog-Hai "abuse"?"

I'm not one to complain too much, but the Olog-Hai thing is getting a bit out of hand, especially considering the new changes with mobs and PK wins.

Situation, for those who don't know: Orcs hold an item. Tremblefist plagues, poisons, etc, and kills you if you're a ghost when you strike him. For midbie ranks, he's a decently tough fight, and if you're not careful, you'll still end up dead to plague.

When lowbie (or hero) level people come to try and retrieve, Oloice strikes the Olog-Hai and gets these aggro mobs to follow to the altar area, where they promptly attack anything ELSE - including 20 level lower PCs.

I'm not saying they can't do this, but this seems like legitimate abuse of mechanics of a tracking agro mob - that conveniently no longer tracks the chief when there's another target in the room, and deals ***DEMOLISHES/DEVASTATES*** type damage. I'd like to either see the Olog-Hai toned down, or see their tracking not aggro to the next visible PC just because the orc is hidden. (Make them have detect hidden?)

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply I thought orcs were able to do that by design., Aereglen, 21-Mar-14 12:35 AM, #8
Reply RE: I thought orcs were able to do that by design., Arvam, 21-Mar-14 01:02 PM, #10
     Reply As a scion I used orcs, incognito, 21-Mar-14 04:47 PM, #12
     Reply Could we please revisit this post?, OrcFighter (Anonymous), 10-Jun-22 09:05 PM, #13
          Reply RE: Could we please revisit this post?, Odaza the Mummy (Anonymous), 16-Jun-22 11:06 PM, #14
               Reply Dang, strong work here. , Jalim (Anonymous), 17-Jun-22 06:47 AM, #15
Reply RE: Olog-Hai , Daevryn, 20-Mar-14 07:12 AM, #2
Reply RE: Olog-Hai , orc (Anonymous), 20-Mar-14 06:13 PM, #3
Reply RE: Olog-Hai , Daevryn, 20-Mar-14 07:20 PM, #4
Reply Also, for a lot of Battle roles asking for Fort help wo..., TMNS, 20-Mar-14 07:33 PM, #5
     Reply This., Sarien, 21-Mar-14 09:56 AM, #9
Reply Honestly..., Eskelian, 20-Mar-14 11:36 PM, #7
Reply A lot of the best game companies hire "cheaters" to tes..., TMNS, 20-Mar-14 06:11 PM, #11
Reply Best solution IMO if this is considered abuse, KaguMaru, 20-Mar-14 04:11 AM, #1
     Reply FNCR (nt), Vilhazarog, 20-Mar-14 08:19 PM, #6

AereglenFri 21-Mar-14 12:35 AM
Member since 23rd Apr 2011
476 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#54641, "I thought orcs were able to do that by design."
In response to Reply #0

People didn't complain before, and I heard so many people call tremblefist a #### it seemed like it was designed to be able to do that for when hero's are retrieving. That made perfect sense to me, and I wish it wouldn't change but woe is the lonely orc player.

ArvamFri 21-Mar-14 01:02 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
218 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#54644, "RE: I thought orcs were able to do that by design."
In response to Reply #8

No this was not by design and it's already changed. It effectively makes retrieving from orcs a hero only job, which is not how we want cabal retrievals to work. We want a level 20+ to have a fighting chance at getting their item back.

I don't really buy 'woe is orc player' these days. The past few chiefs have piled up a lot of bodies and been pretty formidable. They've both done a good job of making temporary allies (And pissing them off..and joining up with them again) Most hero level orcs I see kill a lot more than they die and aside from ones that really embraced their orcdom, actually had some regular allies.

I don't really see things like they were back then where everyone guns for the lonely orc for an easy kill. Orcs have been tweaked so they're no joke and have a lot of power potential and some unique survival skills that let them do things no other class can do.

Tremblefist is currently the hardest to retrieve from of any cabal by a longshot. It's almost to the point where if you see an orc+someone else raiding? You can bet the orc downs the item and there's a non-zero chance the Scion or whoever will pop in the orc village to help defend. Orcs don't need any additional help defending, especially with mobs that hit like hero level things. We want to create a game where a level 20+ can reasonably have a chance to retrieve a cabal item. With this exploit that effectively goes away.

Anyway, I don't see this change as hurting orcs much at all, but it makes retrieving from Tremblefist feasible again for lower levels.

incognitoFri 21-Mar-14 04:47 PM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#54648, "As a scion I used orcs"
In response to Reply #10

Not first time I took an item, but when fort heroes wouldn't attempt retrieval against just me and waited for a lowbie to log on and retrieve, I made sure to give it to an Orc to down next time.

I don't have a problem with lowbie retrieval but heroes should at least contribute to an effort when the probability of dying is very small.

OrcFighter (Anonymous)Fri 10-Jun-22 09:05 PM
Charter member
#74670, "Could we please revisit this post?"
In response to Reply #10

Instead of dragging orc mobs to Tremblefist directly to deter lowbie retrieval, a certain mummy is now piling orc assisting orc mobs at the gates to kill lowbies attempting to GET to Tremblefist.

If using unintended mobs to defend Tremblefist back then was considered abuse, could we also consider the same thing happening at the gates of the orc village abuse?

Odaza the Mummy (Anonymous)Thu 16-Jun-22 11:06 PM
Charter member
#74671, "RE: Could we please revisit this post?"
In response to Reply #13

Pathetic and weak mortals, you should know that when I grace the Grinning Skulls with my presence, the orc’s automatically come there to pay their respects to my magnificence. They want to defend the village, because you’re not suppose to get your silly orb back. How dare you to even think you are worthy to step in our village. And by some miracle you get past the gates, the awesome ferociousness of Ubba will make you wet your pants. But if not, then meeting the sexually charged Regurgota will delight. I mean, just look at that sublime specimen of Orcness. Orcs!!!

Jalim (Anonymous)Fri 17-Jun-22 06:47 AM
Charter member
#74672, "Dang, strong work here. "
In response to Reply #14

I'm excited to see what will happen once you bring some of this RP energy IC.

DaevrynThu 20-Mar-14 07:12 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#54633, "RE: Olog-Hai "
In response to Reply #0

That's actually pretty clever.

But one way or another we'll do something about that. Tremblefist is hard enough.

orc (Anonymous)Thu 20-Mar-14 06:13 PM
Charter member
#54636, "RE: Olog-Hai "
In response to Reply #2

I am not sure why people complain about tremblefist being so tough. It is the one outer/inner that you don't even need to be in the cabal in order to get your item back. so ask a hero fort, outlander or nexan to kill tremble or the ologs. Or just have one of your group track the ologs out and kill them. Also the ologs do not even respawn until the next system reboot. If you do intend to do something about it, can you have them respawn after they die. Also would be nice to have bulg or whatever the npc chief is to respawn as a warlod orc so the chief can get his clothes to wear if he wanted them. But going into the orc village should be something to fear.

DaevrynThu 20-Mar-14 07:20 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#54637, "RE: Olog-Hai "
In response to Reply #3

>I am not sure why people complain about tremblefist being so
>tough.

Probably because he's objectively significantly harder to kill than any cabal outer guardian. How can you even seriously ask that question?

TMNSThu 20-Mar-14 07:33 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#54638, "Also, for a lot of Battle roles asking for Fort help wo..."
In response to Reply #4

NT

SarienFri 21-Mar-14 09:56 AM
Member since 14th Feb 2009
740 posts
#54642, "This."
In response to Reply #5

This is why the Orc/village conflict sucks so very very much for lower lvl villagers. You basically lose all your perks, and depending on race/spec could have 0 chance of getting them back. Not to mention that the Orc village is FULL of things (not just olog-hai) that an out of range Orc could use to #### over any retrieval attempt. Heck, I'd wager the orc brutes that hit savage feeding for mangles/demo's would track just fine, and ruin a villagers day too. Not to mention the mobs there generally assist one another.

I've played more villagers than Orcs, but I'll tell ya when it comes to Orc VS villager, I'd generally want to be the Orc.

EskelianThu 20-Mar-14 11:36 PM
2023 posts
#54640, "Honestly..."
In response to Reply #3

...it's pretty clear that isn't meant to work that way. Can't believe you're trying to justify what amounts to blatant exploiting. I miss the old days where you'd get crippled or denied for exploiting NPC progs to kill people out of range.

TMNSFri 21-Mar-14 04:38 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#54635, "A lot of the best game companies hire "cheaters" to tes..."
In response to Reply #2

Cheaters are often some of the most ingenious people in the concept of games. They figure out #### most people wouldn't ever even think of.

I have no idea how that is relevant to this discussion, just had some word vomit.

KaguMaruThu 20-Mar-14 04:11 AM
Member since 15th Sep 2012
805 posts
#54632, "Best solution IMO if this is considered abuse"
In response to Reply #0

Stop them tracking

VilhazarogThu 20-Mar-14 08:19 PM
Member since 30th Aug 2012
192 posts
#54639, "FNCR (nt)"
In response to Reply #1

nt

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #54631 Previous topic | Next topic