Subject: "Prayer beads." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #26695
Show all folders

XanthraillesMon 31-Aug-09 07:34 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
391 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#26695, "Prayer beads."

These are actually very easy for a hero to acquire. Any thought given to making it where ghost can't get to the certain mob that carries them?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Better yet re: Request, JMCC, 01-Sep-09 11:27 AM, #2
Reply RE: Better yet re: Request, Daevryn, 01-Sep-09 01:04 PM, #3
Reply So..., Dwoggurd, 01-Sep-09 01:10 PM, #5
Reply Um, no., Twist, 01-Sep-09 01:30 PM, #6
Reply RE: So..., Aarn, 01-Sep-09 01:49 PM, #7
     Reply An aside though, Nian, 08-Sep-09 01:58 PM, #10
          Reply RE: An aside though, Isildur, 08-Sep-09 02:45 PM, #11
Reply Answer, JMCC, 01-Sep-09 09:42 PM, #8
     Reply RE: Answer, Isildur, 01-Sep-09 10:18 PM, #9
Reply Ghost + Sleep = Attack, Zulghinlour, 01-Sep-09 01:09 PM, #4
Reply RE: Prayer beads., Isildur, 31-Aug-09 10:09 PM, #1

JMCCTue 01-Sep-09 11:27 AM
Member since 22nd Sep 2007
59 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26699, "Better yet re: Request"
In response to Reply #0

Why not make it so you can't request as a ghost? If it's already like that, forgive my ignorance.

Otherwise, it kinda defeats one of the downsides of request (ie you can be attacked while in lag mode). Recently, imms made it so that if you sleep a mob while you're a ghost, the mob instantly awakes and attacks you. Request should be the same.

DaevrynTue 01-Sep-09 01:04 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26700, "RE: Better yet re: Request"
In response to Reply #2

Out of curiousity, how many good heroes have you played? Any? Because this doesn't seem like a suggestion that someone who's ever seriously played a good-aligned character would make.

Regearing as a ghost (from mobs I COULD kill, except I'm good and they're good so I don't) is 90+% of what I use request for.

DwoggurdTue 01-Sep-09 01:10 PM
Member since 20th Jan 2004
668 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26702, "So..."
In response to Reply #3

You are exploiting game mechanics by requesting as a ghost so you would have request benefits and don't suffer any request drawbacks (dangerous lag)?

TwistTue 01-Sep-09 01:30 PM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#26703, "Um, no."
In response to Reply #5

Exploiting Game Mechanics implies we didn't intend for it to be that way...and considering I was here when request went in initially - By Design.

AarnTue 01-Sep-09 01:49 PM
Member since 04th Feb 2005
566 posts
#26704, "RE: So..."
In response to Reply #5

I think you misread what he meant. He uses request to get gear from mobs that he COULD kill, but he can't for roleplay restriction reasons (being good aligned). As an evil you don't have that restriction, so you would just whack the mob and not have to deal with request anyway. Requesting as a ghost had nothing to do with it.

Obviously there are exceptions, but the majority of the time this is how it seems to work out for me too.

Aarn

NianTue 08-Sep-09 01:58 PM
Member since 05th Jun 2009
77 posts
#26780, "An aside though"
In response to Reply #7

If the mob in question, good or no, is aggressive to you, you shouldn't be able to request.

It wants to attack you, but it can't because the gods intervene. Yet, if you ask, he will trust you enough to hand you his stuff?

That's a very weird thing (and the main reason why I posted the whitecloak question).

IsildurTue 08-Sep-09 02:45 PM
5969 posts
#26782, "RE: An aside though"
In response to Reply #10

I would guess its a coding problem. The mob in question isn't aggro but has a greet prog that causes him to attack you if certain conditions aren't met. If you walk into the room as a ghost then the greet prog fires and he attempts to attack you, but can't since you're a ghost. Now you're in the room with him and he's a normal non-aggro mob, meaning the request code can't easily differentiate him from any other good-aligned mob.

JMCCTue 01-Sep-09 09:42 PM
Member since 22nd Sep 2007
59 posts
#26712, "Answer"
In response to Reply #3

Good heroes...Three I think. Serth, Aenthian, and some other shifter a long time ago (I can't keep track of which shifters I played).

I'm not here to make any accusations or attacks. It was simply a question, one which it seems you indirectly have an issue with. If you have some issue with me, then please, feel free to speak out.

As for request, here's how I see it:
1) Goodies can't kill other goodies for eq, thus, request was made.
2) There's a reason behind request lag. From what I speculate, it is so that goodies can't get free eq without risk. If there's something more inherent, I'm not sure - if you are, feel free to enlighten me.
3) People can request as a ghost, thus bypassing that one sole flaw in request.
4) I've seen it, and you've seen it - certain people abuse this bypassing this flaw by purposefully dying (not really a RP thing to do - as it stands with game mechanics currently, the ideal thing) to request equipment. It's kind of like dying at low level, when xp penalty is little, to go get midnight dragon eq or red dragon eq, which the imms closed off. Yes, I know the difference between getting suped up eq at low level and getting suped up eq at high level. But the underlying issue still remains the same - no risk in getting equipment.

If you ever consider how to override these issues, I'll contribute.

I've played muds for a LONG LONG LONG time - over a decade, probably closer to 15 years (especially muds with request). And I've played a significant amount of goods, from quest classes/quest races to leaders in other mud. I just don't find the incentive to in this mud (or maybe it's just I get bored of it nowadays).

IsildurTue 01-Sep-09 10:18 PM
5969 posts
#26713, "RE: Answer"
In response to Reply #8

>2) There's a reason behind request lag. From what I speculate,
>it is so that goodies can't get free eq without risk.
>3) People can request as a ghost, thus bypassing that one sole
>flaw in request.

Some mobs were made aggro. Why? To create some risk for characters and make certain areas have an element of danger. Only, when you walk by them as a ghost they don't attack you. Are you exploiting your ghost status to bypass these aggro mobs?

I'd add that actually killing tough mobs also holds some risks for evils. Not as much as request, since you're not frozen, but you're typically putting yourself in a wounded state. Only, if you do this as a ghost then there's no risk at all since nobody can come along and attack you while you're wounded. Is this exploiting ghost status to avoid risk?

>But the underlying
>issue still remains the same - no risk in getting equipment.

No, the issue is that the person is chucking their role-play out the window in order to get that equipment. I suspect that if an imm saw a goodie intentionally kill himself just so he could go request prayer beads, or whatever, that they would lack the smack down on this person.

What I find slightly abusive is that some mobs can be requested from as a ghost that aren't easily requested from as a non-ghost. That may qualify as abuse of ghost status. But not normal request.

ZulghinlourTue 01-Sep-09 01:09 PM
9792 posts
#26701, "Ghost + Sleep = Attack"
In response to Reply #2

>Recently, imms
>made it so that if you sleep a mob while you're a ghost, the
>mob instantly awakes and attacks you. Request should be the
>same.

That actually sounds like an undesired side-effect from another change I made...I'll look into that.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

IsildurMon 31-Aug-09 10:09 PM
5969 posts
#26696, "RE: Prayer beads."
In response to Reply #0

Most of the time that would make them only slightly more difficult to get.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #26695 Previous topic | Next topic