Subject: "Typical vs Atypical Characters" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #20562
Show all folders

WildGirlTue 12-Feb-08 05:10 PM
Member since 16th Sep 2004
250 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#20562, "Typical vs Atypical Characters"

Something that I've noticed is that some people play the same things over and over and over again. I know that's odd coming from me, as I constantly play Outlanders and rangers, but I do try to stretch character ideas and concepts and roles.

How often do you try a concept you haven't tried before? Do you play to hero? Do you find the effort worth it (even if you don't get any immteraction)?

I usually try a new concept character every few character rolls. Sometimes I'll want to try something that failed in previous characters (like Kyraea was the evolution of what failed as Antira) and I felt she became unique in and of herself. However, Mikatra was a big change for me in characters.

I don't often make it to hero with new concepts, though. Ekasser-something was a human pole spec Outlander with a hand made of silver.

I like to know I did something neat for myself rather than the rewards I get, so the effort is usually worth it. I do get frustrated and bored sometimes, and that usually culminates in deleting the character, but that's fine for me. I don't need a character with more than 200 hours. That's plenty of time with one (for me).

Just wondering how other people try to play.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

incognitoWed 13-Feb-08 02:01 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#20574, "RE: Typical vs Atypical Characters"
In response to Reply #0

I mix my characters a lot.

Play goodies and evils, lawful-abiding and law-breaking, all classes (but some I won't play again, I suspect).

The one common theme is that my characters don't tend to be assholes to anyone.

RogueTue 12-Feb-08 06:31 PM
Member since 24th Sep 2003
718 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#20567, "For me"
In response to Reply #0

I basically have three types of characters I play.

Cush characters, like rangers, druids, shapeshifters, or villager classes that I know well and can spend more time enjoying specific aspects of the game with, over "learning" the class or cabal.

Enemy characters, character types that I generally fight most with my cush characters, duergars, imperials, tribunal, paladins, basically so that I can learn how they play and how to exploit
their weaknesses with a cush character I have down the line.

Something New characters, builds/sets of warriors or thieves that I just simply havent tried and would like to see what's there for something different.

I tend to find if I stick to one character type too many times in a row, I end up getting no where with them because I just burn out, and need something new. However, I only really have a ton of fun with characters I am comfortale with. Don't get me wrong, I have had a blast playing scions, tribbies, imperials, but I just don't get the flag to attention as much when I am in my own playstyle.

I like to see what I am fighting, and how to beat them, then I like to play out my cush, and beat them.

Make sense?

KastellynTue 12-Feb-08 05:46 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
864 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#20565, "For Me..."
In response to Reply #0

I try to do something totally different each time around, pretty much because I don't really have the time to devote to creating and fleshing out a bunch of characters in quick succession. I like the different gaming experience each time.

Kastellyn the Devourer of Magic, Lord of Legends

*** Email me your testimonials or two-line blurbs. Help our marketing efforts! ***

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #20562 Previous topic | Next topic