Subject: "Any tips for the very first character?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4876
Show all folders

KagaThu 31-Jan-19 05:21 PM
Member since 14th Sep 2014
4 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4876, "Any tips for the very first character?"

Hello there!
Im planning to start playing CF with my girlfriend.
Our main goal is to improve her english while exploring the world and enjoying RP.
I have a decent experience playing MUDs (mostly CFs russian little brother - Solace MUD) while my GF has no experience at all.

What classes\races should we take?
I was thinking about something really straightforward for my GF (like a fighter or a shapeshifter) because her reactions will be REALLY slow. And some supporter for myself, like transmuter maybe?

Any suggestions?
Or maybe some links for good newbie guides on CF?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Regarding playing from the same IP, -flso, 01-Oct-19 10:21 PM, #8
Reply Also.., Lhydia, 02-Oct-19 06:19 AM, #9
     Reply That being said, this mud is awesome and I've been play..., Lhydia, 02-Oct-19 06:37 AM, #10
Reply RE: Any tips for the very first character?, incognito, 02-Feb-19 05:24 AM, #5
Reply RE: Any tips for the very first character?, Ishuli, 01-Feb-19 04:33 PM, #3
Reply Bro!, Kstatida, 01-Feb-19 10:00 AM, #2
Reply RE: Bro!, incognito, 02-Feb-19 05:22 AM, #4
Reply No it does, Kstatida, 04-Feb-19 05:03 AM, #7
Reply Assassin and ranger, incognito, 09-Jan-20 03:17 PM, #11
Reply RE: Any tips for the very first character?, IrishMidnight, 31-Jan-19 08:58 PM, #1
     Reply I'd say be extra careful with the same IP, Onewingedangel, 02-Feb-19 12:55 PM, #6

-flsoTue 01-Oct-19 10:21 PM
Member since 02nd Oct 2007
296 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4905, "Regarding playing from the same IP"
In response to Reply #0

email the IMMs and tell them what you will be doing ahead of time. Give them your IP even and ask if it's ok.

If they seem apprehensive, go play another MUD because you'll be wasting your time here.

LhydiaWed 02-Oct-19 06:19 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2377 posts
#4906, "Also.."
In response to Reply #8

Go ahead and play from a VPN if you know how. Even if you send an email and an IMM reads it you're still going to be jerked around eventually because not everyone will get the memo. Also some IMMs will just overly scrutinize everything you do while just waiting for the opportunity to enforce rules against you. That is assuming you're playing from the same house.

LhydiaWed 02-Oct-19 06:37 AM
2377 posts
#4907, "That being said, this mud is awesome and I've been play..."
In response to Reply #9

Welcome and we're glad to have you.

incognitoSat 02-Feb-19 05:24 AM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4881, "RE: Any tips for the very first character?"
In response to Reply #0

I'd probably go for 2 assassins.

Then you can share what you reach learn with each other as you go.

They are hard for most enemies to find to attack since most can't see you.

They are good at fighting.

They can kill people who are already hurt if you just hide until you see them badly injured.

IshuliFri 01-Feb-19 04:33 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2017
2121 posts
#4879, "RE: Any tips for the very first character?"
In response to Reply #0

Shapeshifter is definitely noobie friendly in my mind, so long as you can watch your mana. As for you, there are tons of classes that synergize with pretty much anything.

The only word of caution I'd offer, as someone else did, is that you should take a look at our rules ( http://www.carrionfields.net/helpsearch.php?keywords=rules )

The rule of interest being:
* If you know another player OOC, treat their character as you would any other.
This disallows having multiple characters 'attached at the hip'. See
PERMAGROUP.

Outside of that, I'd suggest reading things like help newbie (and it's followups) at:
http://www.carrionfields.net/helpsearch.php?id=28
A ranking list like http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=5&topic_id=2032&mesg_id=2032&page=

And search the forum history (here or at qhcf) for various intro guides to classes and otherwise.

When you roll a character, the 'Academy' will be right in your face, and getting through that teaches you pretty much all of the basics.

Good luck!

-Ish

KstatidaFri 01-Feb-19 10:00 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4878, "Bro!"
In response to Reply #0

GF for bard, warrior for yourself. Bard + warrior is the thing, you'll be able to kill almost anything when your gf gets the hang of playing the class.

Also you should avoid joining Russian cheat ring, because its members get banned and denied occasionally.

incognitoSat 02-Feb-19 05:22 AM
4495 posts
#4880, "RE: Bro!"
In response to Reply #2

Stop being a ####.

It doesn't really matter what they can "kill together".

KstatidaMon 04-Feb-19 05:03 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4883, "No it does"
In response to Reply #4

I know the dude and you don't.

incognitoThu 09-Jan-20 03:17 PM
4495 posts
#4909, "Assassin and ranger"
In response to Reply #2

That way, between you, you can see almost anyone.

You can start the fight and plan your actions ahead.

Ranger can also produce own food and water after a point.

I suggest you rank together to that point and then be more independent.

Go neutral for freedom to learn from others first. Then next characters cabal them for the social side.

IrishMidnightThu 31-Jan-19 08:58 PM
Member since 14th Jan 2017
66 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4877, "RE: Any tips for the very first character?"
In response to Reply #0

There should be some great resources here, RP and such. www.qhcf.net is an unofficial resource, forums with an attached wiki for the mud layout as well as starting gear ideas.

But also be warned that rules advocate against multiplaying which may be an issue if you and your gf play from the same IP address. You would especially need to strive against always permanently grouping with her as an example. If impossible, it could be worthwhile to email the imms directly to ask them details.

Ultimately always want new blood, so hopefully that won't become an issue/barrier.

For new players, my key thought is a race/combo that can either detect enemies well or being able to conceal well so you don't always feel out in the open. Both for even better experience.

Examples on detecting/hiding: svirf anything (detect invis), duerger anything (detect hidden, but vulns to be wary about), assassin's (detect invis AND detect hidden, plus can hide), thieves (detect hidden and can hide, but arguably complicated with thief point allocation), rangers (acute vision and can camouflage), druids (detect invis and can treeform in a pinch, good survivability), transmuters (detect invis and can duo dimension)

OnewingedangelSat 02-Feb-19 12:55 PM
Member since 22nd Jul 2009
447 posts
#4882, "I'd say be extra careful with the same IP"
In response to Reply #1

I've unknowingly grouped with people on the same IP as me and still got slayed. Or even when I did know, I made sure there was no other group option first, and found myself in ROTD. They say treat it as any other person, but in my experience, it always ends up better distancing yourself more from people you know IRL on the same IP.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4876 Previous topic | Next topic