Subject: "How to fortress" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4473
Show all folders

Your grandmother (Anonymous)Sat 17-Oct-15 10:11 AM
Charter member
#4473, "How to fortress"

I'm trying to join fortress with a melee class. Should I be trying to get a kill before I approach anybody about joining?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Perpetual_NoobSat 17-Oct-15 12:31 PM
Member since 28th Jul 2012
358 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4476, "For Clarity"
In response to Reply #0

Fortress is divided into to parts Acolytes & Scribes on one side, and Marans & Squires on the other. Scribes and Squires are the initial rank upon entrance.

You only need to have an evil pk to be a squire, and that epk must me where you got the killing blow.

Acolytes are protecters of light and Marans are vanquishers of evil. Pick your poison and adapt and blend as you desire for your character's story.

HomardSat 17-Oct-15 11:31 AM
Member since 10th Apr 2010
959 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4475, "RE: How to fortress"
In response to Reply #0

It depends on whether or not you want to be a squire or a scribe.

The helpfile for Maran says that you should "come not unblooded before one of the commanders of the Brigade." So get a kill if you want to be a squire.

TheerklaSat 17-Oct-15 10:24 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1055 posts
#4474, "I think it definitely helps to have at least one evil p..."
In response to Reply #0

That being said, pledging is the easiest way to get detect evil which obviously helps land an epk.

Lithodora (Anonymous)Sat 17-Oct-15 02:51 PM
Charter member
#4477, "RE: I think it definitely helps to have at least one ev..."
In response to Reply #1

Pledge and send a note to "fortress" introducing yourself and stating whether you want to be a squire or scribe. It doesn't have to be very long or involved. The important part is for you to let the leaders know which path you're going to pursue so they right leaders know to look for you.

When you pledge you start showing up in the output of the "members applicant" and "who applicant" commands. Also the Watcher announces your log ins and log outs on the fortress leader channel. And you get favor of the sun.

Captain/Marshall can't induct scribes and Cardinal/Prophet can't induct squires, but there's isn't any automated way for them to know which one you're going for. That's why the note is important.

My process is basically this:

1. Check "members applicant" for pledges that are bloodied.
2. Check "who applicant" to see if any of them are online.
3. If they are then check my notes to see if they want to be squires.
4. If they do then talk to them.

Also realize that "members applicant" doesn't automatically update when you get an evil PK. Sometimes it takes until the next crash/reboot.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4473 Previous topic | Next topic