Subject: "Dark-Elf Invoker" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4462
Show all folders

LapallanchWed 07-Oct-15 05:56 AM
Member since 07th Oct 2015
4 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4462, "Dark-Elf Invoker"

So ... I just started out with CF and decided to become a Dark-Elf Invoker. Yeah, I wasn't encouraged to do that, but oh well, I like being rebellious

So ... I guess as an Invoker, I should work mostly on WIS, INT, and CON, but I'm fairly new to this game so I'm wondering if someone could give me some advice on how to build and improve my Invoker. Maybe core skills, and a certain playing style?

Don't laugh at me for making this so challenging though. I've always loved a challenge. Not to mention the attraction of playing a Dota 2 hero lawl. (I don't really play Dota a lot anyway ... prefer mudding and playing browser games)

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Dark-Elf Invoker, Isildur, 12-Oct-15 06:49 PM, #10
Reply RE: Dark-Elf Invoker, Elerosse, 09-Oct-15 06:30 PM, #9
Reply RE: Dark-Elf Invoker, incognito, 07-Oct-15 12:19 PM, #2
Reply RE: Dark-Elf Invoker, Lapallanch, 08-Oct-15 04:30 AM, #4
Reply RE: Dark-Elf Invoker, Twist, 07-Oct-15 08:16 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Dark-Elf Invoker, Lapallanch, 08-Oct-15 04:29 AM, #3
          Reply Dark-elf INT, Twist, 08-Oct-15 08:09 AM, #5
               Reply RE: Dark-elf INT, Lapallanch, 09-Oct-15 04:06 AM, #6
                    Reply These are questions that in-game experimentation will a..., Twist, 09-Oct-15 08:56 AM, #7
                    Reply RE: Dark-elf INT, incognito, 09-Oct-15 01:36 PM, #8

IsildurMon 12-Oct-15 06:49 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4472, "RE: Dark-Elf Invoker"
In response to Reply #0

Re: stats:

I usually max my CON first thing. WIS I train to the point where I naturally (i.e. without having to wear +WIS gear) get the most practices/rank the race/class can have. Intelligence I get to the point where I'm spending the fewest "practices to get to 75%" the race/class supports. Then I usually wear enough +INT gear to take it up to racial max because it means you'll learn skills and spells quicker.

I'll use human as an example. I'm going to train WIS to 18 because that's what you need to get 3 practices-per-rank. If I'm not a mage then I'll probably train INT to 18 and then focus on training other things, because with an 18 INT it takes two practices to get a skill to 75%. If I'm a mage with 23 INT then maybe I put some more trains into INT because if I can make my effective INT 23 then I can get to 71% with a single practice, and maybe I prefer that to spending an extra practice to get an extra 4%.

If I expect to play the character for a long time I won't train my INT/WIS up to max because I know I'm going to gain some more as the character ages. Ditto strength. IF you think you're at least going to hit "mature" then leave your natural strength at MAX-1 and use gear to make your effective strength the max. Otherwise you "lose" the extra point of STR you'd normally gain when your character ages from "young" to "mature".

Other general advice:

1. Don't die because you were lazy. By that I mean, "Carry return and teleport potions in your inventory and have an alias ready to use each of them". You get both as spells, but until you get the percentages up they're not as reliable as a potion. Plus sometimes people will use skills on you that make it so you can't cast.

2. Don't just learn your the class you're playing. Try to learn what other classes are capable of as well. And cabal powers.

3. Learning the geography of the game and how to get around is huge. The map at Dio's is actually somewhat helpful. You have to navigate to the one on the "old" wiki though.

4. Past a certain rank you will probably need aura and barrier wands in order to be successful if you want to try your hand at PK. It's not impossible to kill people without them, but it's considerably trickier. On the bright side, finding wands will force you to expand your area knowledge which is itself helpful.

5. If you've considered joining a cabal, it can be a fun experience but it will also obligate you enter into some dangerous situations when it comes to defending and retrieving. As a dark-elf invoker your options are basically Tribunal, Scarab and Outlander. Each has its pluses and minuses. If you have questions you can ask them here and usually get a few different perspectives.

ElerosseFri 09-Oct-15 06:25 PM
Member since 01st Nov 2006
423 posts
#4471, "RE: Dark-Elf Invoker"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Fri 09-Oct-15 06:30 PM

Here are some links and information that I think might help as a new player and new invoker. The links are to the www.qhcf.net website which has more info as well.

Places to go to gain experience:

http://wiki.qhcf.net/index.php?title=RankingList

General gear ideas for lower level evil characters:

http://wiki.qhcf.net/index.php?title=RankingEquipmentEvil

General Guide / FAQ for invokers (you need to create a login to access this page):

http://diku.qhcf.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Voker

Some of my advice:

Stat priority is to get INT to 24, WIS to 18, and CON to 16 (racial max) as soon as possible. With the fine leather gear and copper rings from the academy you should be able to do this at level one through skill training and gear if you focus on it. This will max your skill % per practice, the number of practices per level and hit point gains per level. It will also improve your learning rate (high INT) and Mana gains per level (high INT).

The above is pretty universal for me with all characters as skill learning % and the number of practices and HP per level have a major impact on a character. Read the wisdom and intelligence help files to see how each skill point impacts practicing and # of skills per level so you can find the important plateaus (For example 18 wis for your dark elf is important as that is the point you get the most practices per level).

Affinity:

You probably already selected these but I would recommend an average affinity (5) for each elemental path on a first character. Affinity most noticeably affects learning rates for invoker spells and mana cost of spells.

Ranking / Spell learning:

I would always choose ranking over spamming. There will be plenty of time to spam spells when you can't find people to group with so if someone wants to group with you and gain levels go for it. With that said, you will want to make sure you are perfecting spells so you open up the higher level spells within a path. Invoker shields that you can learn at level 38 are an important milestone for the class as they provide significant damage reduction and elemental damage immunity. When I play an invoker I try to be ready to learn a couple shields by the time I reach level 38, this means I have masted the spells up to shields prior to reaching that level. For me, air, lightning, and fire paths tend to be easy to master due to their ease of spamming or use in ranking.

Spell spamming is the act of sitting someplace and casting a spell over and over again to gain skill points. You will probably have to do this at some point, though it can be very boring. This works really only for area of affect spells like fireball as they do not require a target. Spells like lightning bolt cannot be cast in this fashion and so you should think about this when ranking, that is spammable spells generally should have lower priority when ranking vs spells you need to be in combat to use.

Invokers are a very fun class to play, they are the typical glass cannon of wizards with lots of fire power and little defense, or at leasts until you get shields that is

Due to the nature of needing to perfect spells (this is an unique aspect of the class) to advance within the elemental paths, it can end up taking a while to master the class. It is not uncommon to have 100+ hours into an invoker before you master most/all of your spells so do not get discourage if it ever seems to feel like it taking a long time.

Hope there is some help in there. Most important it just to remember to have fun.

incognitoWed 07-Oct-15 12:19 PM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4464, "RE: Dark-Elf Invoker"
In response to Reply #0

Ok. You will be inherently fragile. So that means you need two out of three of the following:
1. Lots of +hp gear. Hire a mercenary to help you get it. Use the item search on this site. Sandy cloaks for example are relatively gettable with rest.
2. A way to avoid being hit. If you focus on ac and use wands that help ac you can pull this off. Again, use the item search.
3. A route of escape. This means a recall potion, a teleport potion for when you are cursed and can't recall, but it also means being able to flee as needed. That means flight to avoid trip, as trip will keep you in a fight for a couple of rounds, and either enlarge to make bashes miss you more than usual or reduce to make giants unable to bash you (unless they reduce). Enlarge and reduce can be shop bought.

As you gain experience and judgement in cf (I mean you the player, not your characters) you can start to experiment with letting people try (or succeed) bashing and tripping you instead of making it impossible. You may land significantly more kills as they will be committed to a fight for a bit. A missed bash means no actions on their part for 3 rounds so you can blast them with 3 spells.

The above is all for low level fighting. It's a start. Try to exploit their vulnerabilities to various elements when you can. Also know that having the right elemental touch up tends to help spells of that element.

LapallanchThu 08-Oct-15 04:30 AM
4 posts
#4466, "RE: Dark-Elf Invoker"
In response to Reply #2

Thanks haha. I'll try to understand. For now, grinding

TwistWed 07-Oct-15 08:16 AM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#4463, "RE: Dark-Elf Invoker"
In response to Reply #0

>So ... I just started out with CF and decided to become a
>Dark-Elf Invoker. Yeah, I wasn't encouraged to do that, but oh
>well, I like being rebellious
>
>So ... I guess as an Invoker, I should work mostly on WIS,
>INT, and CON, but I'm fairly new to this game so I'm wondering
>if someone could give me some advice on how to build and
>improve my Invoker. Maybe core skills, and a certain playing
>style?
>
>Don't laugh at me for making this so challenging though. I've
>always loved a challenge. Not to mention the attraction of
>playing a Dota 2 hero lawl. (I don't really play Dota a lot
>anyway ... prefer mudding and playing browser games)

If it were me, I'd max out STR and DEX as well, as many people you'll be fighting in PK have ways of causing you STR and DEX loss. Nothing worse than needing to get that pill of healing out of your backpack so you can finish someone off and finding out that you've been maledicted so much that you can't.

As far as play style, there's lots of different ways, but as an invoker you can kind of break it down to two distinct mindsets:
1. PK Murderer type at all levels 11 and up - this mindset is generally more for a veteran who knows where to find ranking groups in his PK range and which spells are most effective (i.e. I'm going to hunt that fire giant that just came into range, so I'm going to use icicle because fire giants are vuln_cold).

2. Avoid-PK spell spammer - this mindset involves going somewhere remote and getting each spell of each elemental path up to the point you need it to gain insight into the next spell. Players who do this often don't level up until they have no (or few) spells that need practicing. I believe this is a mistake - as an invoker, especially with the nice dark-elf INT, I'd take a group anytime I could find it, and use the spells I am working on as we are ranking.

This is just the tip of the iceberg but should be enough to get you going. Welcome, and have fun!

LapallanchThu 08-Oct-15 04:29 AM
4 posts
#4465, "RE: Dark-Elf Invoker"
In response to Reply #1

Thanks a lot. Also, am I expected to practice all my skills to at least 75%, or is it advisable to save some practice points for future skills that have yet to be unlocked?

TwistThu 08-Oct-15 08:09 AM
3431 posts
#4467, "Dark-elf INT"
In response to Reply #3

If you max out your INT (at 24 - highly recommended, this should be the first thing you do) one practice should get any spell/skill to 75%.

LapallanchFri 09-Oct-15 04:06 AM
4 posts
#4468, "RE: Dark-elf INT"
In response to Reply #5

When should I "gain convert"?

Also, now that I'm out of the Academy, what are recommended places to go to for levelling/quests.

TwistFri 09-Oct-15 08:56 AM
3431 posts
#4469, "These are questions that in-game experimentation will a..."
In response to Reply #6

incognitoFri 09-Oct-15 01:29 PM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4470, "RE: Dark-elf INT"
In response to Reply #6
Edited on Fri 09-Oct-15 01:36 PM

There are some helpfiles that I think the academy tells you to read.

They are called newbie, newbie2 and newbie3 or somethink like that.

They suggest some areas where there are often (not in every case) quests.

Edited update: newbie3 is the one you want.

Some of the quests are level dependent.

Also, re gain convert, try to use items to get your int to 24. The copper rings in the academy are both +1 int so use them, maybe.

You can then practice to 75 percent with one practice, so I would practice everything.

Also make sure your wis is at least 18 (I think the hat in the academy helps wis) so you get 3 practices per level. I forget if Drow can get 4 but I think 3 is their max.

Then I would practice everything once, and only gain convert when you know you will get more pracs before you need them.

Keep in mind that new spells open (and need practicing) when you perfect a spell.

Dioxides and this forum probably show the levels you get them.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4462 Previous topic | Next topic