Subject: "Conjurer Questions" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4397
Show all folders

Paek (Anonymous)Sun 02-Nov-14 03:41 AM
Charter member
#4397, "Conjurer Questions"

Hi,

I'm playing a conjurer and have a few questions / frustrations. Was hoping to get some tips and some insight into the class.

1) Why can't you call any servitors while ghosted? This seems really tough. I've been eating a lot of deaths (some from my own servitors) and a few back to back because I can't protect myself until I'm no longer a ghost. What do you do to prepare for unghosting as a conjurer?
2) Is there a way to get elementals to take hits for you? The familiar seems really weak compared to the elemental, but the elemental can't start combat.
3) Why do you lose all XP when your servitors kill you? Seems like it should be similar to a PK death and you just lose con.
4) How do servitors react to you getting attacked? Is there a way to get them to rescue or attack a specific target?

Thanks

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Yuolud (Anonymous)Sat 22-Nov-14 12:38 PM
Charter member
#4407, "RE: Conjurer Questions"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Sat 22-Nov-14 12:58 PM

Your precise questions were all well answered below but I thought I'd add some perspective that can't be done on the newbie channel:

Conjurers are among the most powerful classes at the highest levels, wrecking balls, with a lot of knowledge about mechanics and and content, but part of the game balance for the potential of these juggernauts are the frustrations you're encountering.

It's one of the quirks of Carrion Fields, and RPGs in general, that the checks and balances may not evenly scale. The speed bumps are designed partially with the potential of the character in mind, but the results I get playing a character depend only how well I use that character's capacity. You get a good fraction of the pain with your first few attempts, and only later do you figure out how to avoid or deal with those situations and increase a character's capacity.

I don't think anyone would argue intelligent exploration of the class as you're doing won't eventually return some satisfying rewards -- if you enjoy the process along the way.

A few points:
Low level conjurers will tend to be glass cannons if played in the most straightforward fashion. A high dexterity race, or finding other ways to increase armor, hp, or reduce damage, may be in order. Hustling for higher level options that can dramatically increase mana and hp may help. Finding ways to accumulate sufficient gold to power through challenges via healers and potions is a low level strategy. Not to mention wands, etc... Many low level conjurers display great charisma in either leading their allies through knowledge of specific game areas and resources, or being extremely useful to said allies outside of their class abilities -- when they can find allies. On that note:

There are mercenaries and pets within the game who WILL auto rescue or can be ordered to rescue.

Knowledgeable players with momentum and a rhythm can seem nearly unbeatable when they are playing conjurers. Often when players complain that conjurers are unbeatable, the standard reply is to find the conjurer before he's prepared. It sounds, in my opinion, like you're hitting that aspect of game balance at the moment. The servitor process can be brutal until you marshal resources or allies to aid you through it -- the most knowledgeable players may have far more mob deaths than pk deaths.

On the matter of pk deaths -- there is a lot of room to hide from enemies in the game. Being hard to find when you're not ready -- which sometimes means not going far, but just being in unusual places while recovering and accessing resources -- is a big part of playing solo.

If you want an experience with servitors that can rescue and won't create an xp hole, the necromancer class is obligate evil but otherwise has a lot going for it -- but has its own very deep frustrations that must be handled.

Good luck and have fun! I do agree eating servitor deaths and managing the whole summoning and maintaining morale aspect of conjurers is extremely frustrating -- for me as well. On the other hand, I also in my last few characters have played the warrior who is casually swatted into a corpse on Eastern before autoflee kicks in.

incognitoSun 02-Nov-14 10:18 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4399, "familiar tanks"
In response to Reply #0

Some familiars are better tanks than others. Imp, for example, makes a pretty good tank. Partly because it can heal fully in a few ticks.

TheerklaSun 02-Nov-14 08:19 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1055 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4398, "RE: Conjurer Questions"
In response to Reply #0

1) Why can't you call any servitors while ghosted? This seems really tough. I've been eating a lot of deaths (some from my own servitors) and a few back to back because I can't protect myself until I'm no longer a ghost. What do you do to prepare for unghosting as a conjurer?

If you are good aligned, you can request stuff. As a non-good aligned conjurer, I usually scrounge around places ghosts are allowed where you can grab some stuff off the ground to sell. Your options are pretty limited though. Can't really provide any input as to the why, I assume that the imms feel it is a game balance issue.

2) Is there a way to get elementals to take hits for you? The familiar seems really weak compared to the elemental, but the elemental can't start combat.

Elementals with an area elem attack can initiation combat for example air elementals get the airblast command. They aren't very good tanks though, so this is often a way to quickly lose your elemental. The other way to get them to tank is to flee, wait for the mob to redirect to the elemental and return before the elemental follows you. Timing here can be pretty tricky so it's usually not worth it though.

3) Why do you lose all XP when your servitors kill you? Seems like it should be similar to a PK death and you just lose con.

Unbound, they are mobs, and deaths to them are treated the same as any mob death, again, as a non-imm, I can't provide the reasoning behind that, it just is what it is

4) How do servitors react to you getting attacked? Is there a way to get them to rescue or attack a specific target?

They will auto-attack, how quickly depends on their morale. The only servitor that will rescue is the angel, and that is not something that you can command, it just choses to do so based on morale, alignment, and other factors (assuming you allow it too)

laxmanFri 14-Nov-14 09:47 AM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#4406, "reason you can't ghost conjure"
In response to Reply #1

Primary reason is that your conjurations can still agro on non ghosts. For example, You are a ghost and you conjure an angel next to a necromancer.

Secondarily you can conjure without circles, which would make those couple of levels between getting conjure spells and circles obsolete if you are willing to use/eat a death.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4397 Previous topic | Next topic