Subject: "(AUTO) [None] Fatfrumos the Weaver of the Elements" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #69414
Show all folders

Death_AngelSun 29-Jun-08 01:47 PM
Member since 28th Sep 2024
17190 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69414, "(AUTO) [None] Fatfrumos the Weaver of the Elements"

Tue Jun 24 16:57:44 2008

At 9 o'clock AM, Day of the Sun, 6th of the Month of Winter
on the Theran calendar Fatfrumos perished, never to return.

Race:arial
Class:invoker
Level:51
Alignment:Evil
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:None, None
Hours:176

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply well roleplayed and thought out. that is all. n/t, jhyrb (Guest), 26-Jun-08 08:34 PM, #39
Reply *sigh*, Odrirg, 26-Jun-08 02:13 AM, #37
Reply RE: (AUTO) [None] Fatfrumos the Weaver of the Elements, Mizfara (Guest), 25-Jun-08 10:35 PM, #35
Reply RE: (AUTO) [None] Fatfrumos the Weaver of the Elements, Lyristeon, 25-Jun-08 01:08 AM, #1
     Reply Out of curiosity, Nizi (Guest), 25-Jun-08 03:38 AM, #2
     Reply RE: Out of curiosity, Lyristeon, 25-Jun-08 07:47 AM, #4
          Reply I don't want to disappoint you, Impie, but, Nizi (Guest), 25-Jun-08 08:19 AM, #6
               Reply RE: I don't want to disappoint you, Impie, but, Lyristeon, 25-Jun-08 09:58 AM, #9
                    Reply You got me a bit wrong, Nizi (Guest), 25-Jun-08 10:36 AM, #11
                    Reply So...it's just a matter of timing?, Straklaw, 25-Jun-08 03:21 PM, #21
                    Reply RE: So...it's just a matter of timing?, Lyristeon, 25-Jun-08 04:42 PM, #23
                    Reply RE: I don't want to disappoint you, Impie, but, Isildur, 25-Jun-08 04:59 PM, #25
                         Reply RE: I don't want to disappoint you, Impie, but, Lyristeon, 25-Jun-08 06:36 PM, #27
                              Reply RE: I don't want to disappoint you, Impie, but, Isildur, 25-Jun-08 09:31 PM, #33
                                   Reply RE: I don't want to disappoint you, Impie, but, Lyristeon, 25-Jun-08 10:16 PM, #34
     Reply Eh., Daevryn, 25-Jun-08 07:35 AM, #3
     Reply RE: Eh., Lyristeon, 25-Jun-08 07:46 AM, #5
     Reply From what I've heard, he was a giant tool., Nizi (Guest), 25-Jun-08 08:20 AM, #7
          Reply RE: From what I've heard, he was a giant tool., Nivek1, 25-Jun-08 09:51 AM, #8
               Reply RE: From what I've heard, he was a giant tool., Daevryn, 25-Jun-08 09:58 AM, #10
               Reply I don't think it would be all that hard taking into acc..., Nizi (Guest), 25-Jun-08 10:37 AM, #12
                    Reply RE: I don't think it would be all that hard taking into..., Fatfrumos. (Guest), 25-Jun-08 02:22 PM, #20
     Reply Wow Lyristeon, Kadsies (Guest), 25-Jun-08 12:19 PM, #13
     Reply RE: Wow Lyristeon, asylumius, 25-Jun-08 12:32 PM, #14
          Reply RE: Wow Lyristeon, Kadsies (Guest), 25-Jun-08 12:45 PM, #15
               Reply RE: Wow Lyristeon, asylumius, 25-Jun-08 01:29 PM, #16
               Reply Lets play your game, Kadsies (Guest), 25-Jun-08 02:18 PM, #19
                    Reply RE: Lets play your game, asylumius, 25-Jun-08 05:13 PM, #26
                         Reply I guess its just a matter of perspective.., Kadsies (Guest), 25-Jun-08 07:10 PM, #29
                              Reply RE: I guess its just a matter of perspective.., Lyristeon, 25-Jun-08 07:21 PM, #30
                                   Reply You really agree with everything that guy just said?, Kadsies (Guest), 26-Jun-08 01:07 AM, #36
                                        Reply RE: You really agree with everything that guy just said..., Lyristeon, 26-Jun-08 03:23 AM, #38
               Reply RE: Wow Lyristeon, Daevryn, 25-Jun-08 04:26 PM, #22
                    Reply You should probably read the entire thread, there are a..., Kadsies (Guest), 25-Jun-08 04:43 PM, #24
     Reply RE: (AUTO) [None] Fatfrumos the Weaver of the Elements, Fatfrumos. (Guest), 25-Jun-08 01:42 PM, #17
     Reply Meant to go under Lyr's response (n/t), Fatfrumos. (Guest), 25-Jun-08 01:43 PM, #18
     Reply RE: (AUTO) [None] Fatfrumos the Weaver of the Elements, Eshval, 27-Jun-08 08:28 PM, #40
          Reply RE: (AUTO) [None] Fatfrumos the Weaver of the Elements, Fatfrumos. (Guest), 27-Jun-08 10:02 PM, #41
     Reply RE: (AUTO) [None] Fatfrumos the Weaver of the Elements, Mek (Guest), 25-Jun-08 06:24 PM, #28
          Reply I'm glad I bit my tongue when I read his post, Guy (Guest), 25-Jun-08 07:47 PM, #31
          Reply Depends on intent I guess, which is never easy to read, Theerkla, 25-Jun-08 08:17 PM, #32
          Reply Word Up, N b M (Guest), 29-Jun-08 09:01 AM, #42
               Reply There's a difference between..., Lyristeon, 29-Jun-08 12:17 PM, #43
                    Reply This post, Guy (Guest), 29-Jun-08 12:40 PM, #44
                         Reply To put it in a less flam-ie fashion, Guy (Guest), 29-Jun-08 01:00 PM, #45
                              Reply And maybe..., Lyristeon, 29-Jun-08 02:50 PM, #46
                                   Reply RE: And maybe..., Ellis (Guest), 29-Jun-08 03:36 PM, #47
                                        Reply Russian Char., Insight (Guest), 30-Jun-08 12:13 PM, #48
                                        Reply (headscratch), Fjarn, 30-Jun-08 04:27 PM, #49
                                        Reply *laugh*, Straklaw, 30-Jun-08 06:14 PM, #52
                                        Reply So now we're trading characters, too? Kudos. Kudos. ..., DaBull (Guest), 30-Jun-08 05:56 PM, #51
                                        Reply RE: And maybe..., Fjarn, 30-Jun-08 05:01 PM, #50
                                             Reply RE: And maybe..., Demosthenes (Guest), 06-Jul-08 02:52 AM, #53

jhyrb (Guest)Thu 26-Jun-08 08:34 PM

#69486, "well roleplayed and thought out. that is all. n/t"
In response to Reply #0

nt

OdrirgThu 26-Jun-08 02:09 AM
Member since 16th Oct 2004
431 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69472, "*sigh*"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Thu 26-Jun-08 02:13 AM

Completely torn.

100% agree with you on the whole looting thing, and I can bring up other examples and explanations as well.

But, I've had near zero tolerance for crap names ever since Pikel, entreri, etc.

Bad names like yours are as annoying to me as if someone rolled up a fire giant AP named "Bilbo baggins"

Or what about...

Aragorn

aaraghorn...

aregorne

etc.

bleh

It takes me out of my role, and ruins my experience of fun in the game to see names that lame.

Heck, one of my 6-8 month absences from cf was directly because of crap names. A string of them that I just could not ignore, culminating in an imm with a lastname right out of tolkien. Yeah. I didn't stick around after that for a number of months.

And to kadsies who WAY overreacted to Lyrists post about this name. Grow up.

Some people really dislike it when people chose crap names. Why get pissed at them for it?

Mizfara (Guest)Wed 25-Jun-08 10:35 PM

#69468, "RE: (AUTO) [None] Fatfrumos the Weaver of the Elements"
In response to Reply #0

This is neither here nor there, but I wanted to mention that when I engaged you at the Tara'bal that time I pretty much knew I was going to die. Had no orbs of travel left, can't vanish in the cabal, and my mage cabal mate was out of hand. It was a textbook "RP kill". Basically you put the other guy in a situation where he has no choice but to fight you, despite being at a severe disadvantage. It works. It gets you kills. But...eh...it lacks something. Finesse maybe?

At the time, I was upset with myself for not trying to flee from the quicksand more (since my carry weight was pretty low) or tiger claw you a few more times (since my mage cabal mate wasn't far off). But, now that I know your penchant for full-looting, I'm glad I maledicted you instead.

LyristeonWed 25-Jun-08 01:08 AM
Member since 02nd Jan 2004
1282 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69419, "RE: (AUTO) [None] Fatfrumos the Weaver of the Elements"
In response to Reply #0

Here is a perfectly good example of why a somewhat competent player doesn't get the imm love that their actions would otherwise dictate. A lame name that fell through the cracks. The moment it was recognized, the character was intentionally ignored for the good stuff.

Nizi (Guest)Wed 25-Jun-08 03:38 AM

#69421, "Out of curiosity"
In response to Reply #1

What is so wrong with this name?

I mean for a long time I was sure this is one of Russian players as this name is actually from Moldova/ Romanian folklore (popular fairy tale)
See the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C4%83t-Frumos

Anything I am missing here?

LyristeonWed 25-Jun-08 07:44 AM
1282 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69423, "RE: Out of curiosity"
In response to Reply #2
Edited on Wed 25-Jun-08 07:47 AM

That's just it. It is a Knight Hero from Romanian folk lore. Mind you, I had no idea that's who it was until someone else stated something long into this character's life. Once I read up on it, I basically ignored this character.

Nizi (Guest)Wed 25-Jun-08 08:19 AM

#69425, "I don't want to disappoint you, Impie, but"
In response to Reply #4

There are TONS of a much more stupid names in the game.

Just some examples:
Felars named Koshara (something like "bad cat" in Russian), Murka (popular female cat name in Russia), Murzik (yet another popular male cat name in Russia) etc.
One character whose name is just a variation of name Konstantin, which is shortened version of Kostya in Russian. And his name is Kostya in like "Yo, man!" type of conversations.

And many, many others

LyristeonWed 25-Jun-08 09:58 AM
1282 posts
#69429, "RE: I don't want to disappoint you, Impie, but"
In response to Reply #6

My meaning on all of this has more to do with the ones that get caught. I don't speak russian, so any russian words are going to get by me. What I have a problem with is when a vet does something lame like trying to do this at all. A newbie is going to do that because they may not know better. Have there been worse names? Sure! But, if a vet knowingly does something and it's caught in that in between time, then I will go with the bleh factor. The in between time to me is a character who gets to the point where they are known. It could be level 20, it could be level 51. If they have gotten a reputation and it's too late to change the name and they aren't doing anything stellar, I am not going to offer up rewards.

As far as Kostya meaning "Yo, man!", this is the first time I have ever heard that. Now the character has way too many hours and has gotten way too many rewards, deservedly so, to even call it for the bleh factor.

Nizi (Guest)Wed 25-Jun-08 10:36 AM

#69431, "You got me a bit wrong"
In response to Reply #9

Kostya is a short version of the name "Konstantin".
I just don't know if there is analogy in English, but the version of the name he uses is something like teenagers call each other informally. Like, as an example, you would call John "Johny" or something. Just informal way to say Kostya.

Like if in Russian you have name Andrey, you could call him Andryuha, or something like that.

StraklawWed 25-Jun-08 03:21 PM
Member since 10th Mar 2003
1014 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#69442, "So...it's just a matter of timing?"
In response to Reply #9

Forgive me if I'm reading this wrong, but it sounds like you're pretty much saying "If it's early, we'll just deny the name, middle-ground I go bleh, but in Kostyan has already gotten rewards and I like him, so I'm going to ignore the name fact now that it's brought up"?

Yes, that's the short version of it, but personally I wouldn't have noticed either his or Fatfrumos' name in either case.

LyristeonWed 25-Jun-08 04:42 PM
1282 posts
#69446, "RE: So...it's just a matter of timing?"
In response to Reply #21

That's most of it, and the severity of the infraction goes into it as well. Before I immed, there was a guy whose name was Kuslatromi who lived for a long time and very few people caught on that pronounced backwards it came out as "immortals suck". By that time, it was way too late to do anything.

If a name infraction is caught early, it's changed for the player if someone high enough is about to do it. If it isn't caught early enough, I ignore them for the most part. That's my choice. Anyone who is throwing out a lame name thinking they are trying to be a smart ass isn't going to get any of the goodies from me. Another immortal might, but, I won't. According to what I am understanding now, Kostya is a short version of Konstantin in russian. There is no way I would expect anyone who isn't fluent in russian to ever figure that out and I am not sure if that is even bad enough for a name change. Fat Frumos is the name of the romanian folklore hero knight. There are questions at the beginning of character generation that ask if it is original, is it a combination of two other names, a dictionary or common slang term. I put Kostya in the same category as using a regular name which has gotten by many times. Adding the 'n' at the end of Kostya actually makes it better than most of those. By far, a Fat Frumos who gets caught in the first 100 hours for blatant lame naming is going to get a bleh compared to a questionable, but, not overly bad name at over 800 hours. There isn't even a comparison.

IsildurWed 25-Jun-08 04:59 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
#69449, "RE: I don't want to disappoint you, Impie, but"
In response to Reply #9

For what it's worth, I used to routinely choose character names using obscure mythological references. Not anything anybody would have heard of. Thought that was okay?

LyristeonWed 25-Jun-08 06:36 PM
1282 posts
#69456, "RE: I don't want to disappoint you, Impie, but"
In response to Reply #25

You might not even be noticed. But, if you are, it isn't original. And that's what the character creation questions are for. Originality.

IsildurWed 25-Jun-08 09:31 PM
5969 posts
#69466, "RE: I don't want to disappoint you, Impie, but"
In response to Reply #27

I guess. But this can be taken too far, imho. It forces the guy who randomly assembled some phonemes to google his name before rolling *just in case* it actually means something in a foreign language or has any sort of historical or literary significance. That's seems silly.

LyristeonWed 25-Jun-08 10:16 PM
1282 posts
#69467, "RE: I don't want to disappoint you, Impie, but"
In response to Reply #33

Not really. This is more about the blatant attempts.

DaevrynWed 25-Jun-08 07:35 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#69422, "Eh."
In response to Reply #1

Speaking solely for myself, the name didn't bother me that much -- I just didn't care for the character.

There's a very thin line between "badass evil character" and "giant tool" and most of the time that I watched, this guy was on the wrong side of it in my opinion.

Your mileage may vary!

LyristeonWed 25-Jun-08 07:46 AM
1282 posts
#69424, "RE: Eh."
In response to Reply #3

Oh, he might have been a tool as well. I didn't watch him enough after I learned about his name to know. The only interaction this guy would have gotten from me is if I caught him cheating.

Nizi (Guest)Wed 25-Jun-08 08:20 AM

#69426, "From what I've heard, he was a giant tool."
In response to Reply #3

Too bad I've never had a chance to fight him.

He was uninducted from Scions for some reason, right?

Nivek1Wed 25-Jun-08 09:51 AM
655 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#69427, "RE: From what I've heard, he was a giant tool."
In response to Reply #7

"Too bad I've never had a chance to fight him."

Giant tool or not, I don't think you'd win.

DaevrynWed 25-Jun-08 09:58 AM
11117 posts
#69430, "RE: From what I've heard, he was a giant tool."
In response to Reply #8

Agreed. Tough character, just didn't use that toughness in a good way.

Nizi (Guest)Wed 25-Jun-08 10:37 AM

#69432, "I don't think it would be all that hard taking into acc..."
In response to Reply #8

the combined power of quicksands, insects, and earthbind devices.

But as we know, we will never find out.
For comparison purposes you could buy two PBFs when I am gone

Fatfrumos. (Guest)Wed 25-Jun-08 02:22 PM

#69441, "RE: I don't think it would be all that hard taking into..."
In response to Reply #12

If I had to describe the most likely scenarios for me to be killed, quicksand/insects/earthbind is very far down the list.

Couple things always bugged me about CF. A lot of the bad players seem to throw themselves at you if they know they aren't going to get looted, and the vets seem to like to pad their pk ratio or think it's fun to run over the same bad players time and time again. They always seem to come in without any escape plan or attack plan and get mowed down time and time again. I don't really enjoy that at all.

The endless whining about getting looted is really stupid, even from vets. Sometimes it will be 4v1 with them holding the item, you manage to pick one off, loot them so that the other goodies will go help regear him and stop watching the Scepter, and all of a sudden I get spamtells from 3 different goodies calling me evil for looting. Not because I killed an elf, or I'm part of some evil cult looking for world destruction, but because I took the helm of brilliance or your sword of orc slaying +1. This happens a lot of time with vets and one very specific very annoying fortress elf. I will admit I was pretty mean a couple times, including one where I full looted Cyruil after he died in ST. If the ghosts don't loot you, Fatfrumos will.

I really don't like the idea of not looting things you don't need until one item is looted from you, then revenge full looting ala one current cabal leader. Just makes you a whiny bitch. Either you should be looting or not looting for the most part. I chose the former.

I would have eventually cleared out ST this time around - just lost interest after the server crash. Hell too.

Truth is, there are probably less than a handful of people who are really, really good and consistently make near invincible characters. That makes the game a lot less fun for me - I always liked the toughest fights.

Kadsies (Guest)Wed 25-Jun-08 12:19 PM

#69433, "Wow Lyristeon"
In response to Reply #1

After reading this thread I am quite simply amazed at your level of your douchebagery. Seriously dude its this kind of attitude that is costing cf players, and I for one would like to point out this is not the general attitude of the imm staff . Ahh characters like Pikel and Montolio must not ringa bell to you... What about Shaidarharan then? I know cf decided to move away from that theme but do you really need big a jackass about it? I am not even commenting on the character cause I had zero interaction with him, from what I saw on the qhcf log board nep's claim seems to be dead on.

Way to lose another one!

asylumiusWed 25-Jun-08 12:32 PM
Member since 09th Apr 2007
137 posts
#69434, "RE: Wow Lyristeon"
In response to Reply #13

I think what Lyr was really not impressed with was the fact that this player chose the name he did, despite knowing better.

When a newbie chooses a name that isn't terribly original, or even when a seasoned player chooses one without making some obscure connection (like speaking Russian), that's fine. If it's *that* bad, usually the Imms notice and change it.

When a veteran player chooses a name they know full well doesn't comply with the naming rules, and probably knows that the only reason it wont get noted is because it's Russian, is lame. This player more than likely knows better, and knows what the name means (or what it's derived from), but chose to use it anyway. The player then went on to be a douche bag extraordinaire.

Kadsies (Guest)Wed 25-Jun-08 12:45 PM

#69435, "RE: Wow Lyristeon"
In response to Reply #14

Yeah and I'm saying when CF has entire areas that were and still don't comply with naming rules. It is a pretty douchebagish thing to do. That rule is in place so people don't generally role up chars like Georgebush and ####cheney, or harry potter. Fantasy names have in general been given the pass on them, since it feeds so heavily into this medium. As seen by the presence of Whitecloaks, Hell, and before the revamps... Moria, Mirkwood, Dol Guldur, Menzoberranzan, Blingdenstone im probably missing a couple here. The names I listed, Pikel and Montolio were characters that were played by an imm and an actual character that immorted. Shaidarharan was the name of an implementor's character. You wanna point to the rule book and I want to point to the mirror it all depends on whose perspective you are looking through.

asylumiusWed 25-Jun-08 01:29 PM
137 posts
#69436, "RE: Wow Lyristeon"
In response to Reply #15

Almost all of your examples have been phased out long ago, or are currently being phased out. The imms have stated numerous times that policies were much more relaxed back then than they are today, but to yank any content from the MUD, or references to content (like dead Gods) would only produce a huge backlash by players and detract from the quality of the MUD. Likewise, I can't think of any major additions to the MUD in the past few years that include names or places that directly conflict with major books, stories, etc.

Could the Immortals have done (or do) a better job of keeping to these principles when moderating names, writing areas, etc? Maybe, but that wouldn't be justification for not following the rules now.

The point still stands that most players know what is expected of them. It's not like this player didn't know or forgot to Google his name before he picked it. He chose a name he very likely knew wasn't appropriate, despite knowing what the name meant and that it wasn't a good one.

This lone individual player has probably had a much larger impact on the decline in quality of CarrionFields than the naming policy ever has or will have.

Kadsies (Guest)Wed 25-Jun-08 02:18 PM

#69440, "Lets play your game"
In response to Reply #16

Twist: Should never have been allowed to come back to cf under the given name.

Marcatis: Was obviously stolen from my history teacher in high school, Mr Marcatis.

Yean: v.tr. To give birth to; bear. Used of sheep and goat.

Iunna Mortis is the name of a fairly well known russian poet and novelist.

Valguarnera is a commune in sicily.

Scarabaeus Sacer literally translates to sacred scarab bettle.

Lets start by getting rid of all this characters and refrences to them. You wanna throw bricks at people man, you can atleast stand up and be a man about it. Don't hide behind made up identities since you clearly know the player of this character.

But yeah you go on with your rule book and the preachin!

Much love

asylumiusWed 25-Jun-08 05:13 PM
137 posts
#69450, "RE: Lets play your game"
In response to Reply #19

To be honest, half of those names don't bother me. A fantasy based MUD isn't going to be 100% clean of religious references, and not everybody knows so much about every language in the world as you do. Marcatis turns up 84 results on Google, and I've never met anyone with that name. Likewise, my company's customer database (a quarter million records) doesn't turn up one Mr/Ms Marcatis.

None of the examples in your original post were any good. These examples are all a lot better, and I agree with you on some. Twist, you know better (but you're too cool for school, too).

When you have a few dozen people over 15 years making judgment calls about naming, you're throwing consistency out the window. Either way, it's their game and they can be hypocrites / wrong / inconsistent if they want to.

Oh, and fagtron, this isn't a made up identity, it's my handle, my e-mail address, and my messenger SN. I know who the player of the character is, and he probably recognizes this handle, making it very not anonymous.

Much love

Kadsies (Guest)Wed 25-Jun-08 07:10 PM

#69460, "I guess its just a matter of perspective.."
In response to Reply #26

We will just have to agree to disagree. I apologize for the handle comment, you must just not post frequently or something. I've never seen a comment from you on any forum before.

kads

LyristeonWed 25-Jun-08 07:21 PM
1282 posts
#69461, "RE: I guess its just a matter of perspective.."
In response to Reply #29

Asylumius pretty much hits the nail on the head with this.

Kadsies (Guest)Thu 26-Jun-08 01:07 AM

#69471, "You really agree with everything that guy just said?"
In response to Reply #30

You might want to read his last post again.

LyristeonThu 26-Jun-08 03:23 AM
1282 posts
#69473, "RE: You really agree with everything that guy just said..."
In response to Reply #36

With everything about names, yes. In fact, everything up until his last paragraph in his last post was spot on without name calling.

DaevrynWed 25-Jun-08 04:26 PM
11117 posts
#69444, "RE: Wow Lyristeon"
In response to Reply #15

>Yeah and I'm saying when CF has entire areas that were and
>still don't comply with naming rules.

We try to get that stuff rewritten, but sometimes the heroimms that are given those tasks just give up on them. *cough*

>That rule is in place so people
>don't generally role up chars like Georgebush and ####cheney,
>or harry potter.

I generally agree that the naming rules are in place to prevent the worst abuses, but opinions vary.

>Shaidarharan was
>the name of an implementor's character.

####, that's at least ten years ago. Probably more like 12. Things aren't the way they were, hardly any of the same people are making decisions. It's just not a very good argument.

Kadsies (Guest)Wed 25-Jun-08 04:43 PM

#69447, "You should probably read the entire thread, there are a..."
In response to Reply #22

n/t

Fatfrumos. (Guest)Wed 25-Jun-08 01:42 PM

#69437, "RE: (AUTO) [None] Fatfrumos the Weaver of the Elements"
In response to Reply #1

Hey, whatever. I got more IMM exp with this character than my last 6 characters combined. Believe me, if you didn't snoop me because you didn't like my name then you probably would have hated the way I played quite a bit more.

Fatfrumos. (Guest)Wed 25-Jun-08 01:43 PM

#69438, "Meant to go under Lyr's response (n/t)"
In response to Reply #17

n/t

EshvalFri 27-Jun-08 08:28 PM
Member since 22nd Aug 2004
519 posts
#69512, "RE: (AUTO) [None] Fatfrumos the Weaver of the Elements"
In response to Reply #17

Most of those have their origins in me. It has been said, I am overly-generous and kind. Not all imms watch Scion as closely as I do. While your name was annoying, it is not a big thing at this point.

Have I mentioned I dislike it when folks auto and they belong to a cabal. Take a moment out and delete.

eshval@carrionfields.com

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Fatfrumos. (Guest)Fri 27-Jun-08 10:02 PM

#69515, "RE: (AUTO) [None] Fatfrumos the Weaver of the Elements"
In response to Reply #40

I appreciate it. I think I got 5x as much imm exp as Ravon in a third of the time. I also liked the random echos. Made it actually enjoyable at times. Would have deleted but the servers came and went and I forgot about CF for a while. Sort of lost interest playing back to back invincible characters. Playing more poker now these days with WSOP here.

Mek (Guest)Wed 25-Jun-08 06:53 PM

#69455, "RE: (AUTO) [None] Fatfrumos the Weaver of the Elements"
In response to Reply #1

I don't have any idea who this guy is/was, and yeah, I never liked people using already-made names...but this seems to be stretching it. Sure, you may have felt this way about his character (and you are entitled to your opinion), but I can't figure out any good reason (well, any reason that I think is good) for you to make a post on this thread specifically to point out a flaw.

Look at it from anyone's viewpoint but your own - it does not look good.

Saying a character was "intentionally ignored" is messed up, especially when it has to do with a name from some obscure folklore. Imagine going to work and being "ignored" for a promotion by your boss, and when you asked him why, he responded with, "Well, I really dislike that Honda Civic you drive." I think it's a fairly accurate comparison.

(Of course in the case of CF it's worse because you guys won't say anything until after the fact.)

Guy (Guest)Wed 25-Jun-08 07:47 PM

#69463, "I'm glad I bit my tongue when I read his post"
In response to Reply #28

Well said,

"echo echo echo"

TheerklaWed 25-Jun-08 08:17 PM
1055 posts
#69465, "Depends on intent I guess, which is never easy to read"
In response to Reply #28

If you worked for Ford Motor company you can guarantee, you aren't getting promoted if you drive a Civic into work. Especially if you put a bumper sticker that says "FORD - Found On Road Dead" or the like.

So, if this guy was similarly giving the imms a big hearty #### you by naming himself the way he did, I'd have to say the imms were justified in passing him over for much in the way of attention.

N b M (Guest)Sun 29-Jun-08 09:01 AM

#69539, "Word Up"
In response to Reply #28

Still I say, There is not enough small pokes in the right direction (during a characters lifetime)

A little itty bit of directional roleplay will go leaps and bounds further to strengthening the integrety and enjoyability of CF then a long drawn out dislike of a character which only ends in a bit of #### talking AFTER the fact and a bit of saying YOU did this wrong.

If someone is toeing the knife edge, push them one way or the other while they are doing it.

Make it so they #### up then and decide to delete and try better, or they fix themselves and play better with that char.

Either way, whispering and talking #### behind someones back while they are still around doesn't fix anything and only goes on to portray the whole high school immaturity scene at its finest.

Chris

LyristeonSun 29-Jun-08 12:17 PM
1282 posts
#69548, "There's a difference between..."
In response to Reply #42

I didn't talk behind his back. I just ignored him. He is a veteran who was caught using a lame name. I didn't cripple him or hinder him in anyway. I make it a point to ignore people who are found to be lame. Whether by name or action. It's my choice. I shouldn't have to poke a veteran to not use a lame name.

Guy (Guest)Sun 29-Jun-08 12:40 PM

#69549, "This post"
In response to Reply #43

Is much like a lame name to me. All I see is a lame duck defending his crap ass position.

And its not so much your crap ass position but the fact that you think that we as the players are intrested in hearing that your a snide little bastard about something as lame as a name.

Guy (Guest)Sun 29-Jun-08 01:47 PM

#69552, "To put it in a less flam-ie fashion"
In response to Reply #44

I wish you'd just kept your opinion to yourself, atleast the details.

Maybe if Fatfromos had posted and said, Lyristeon you were around alot but never interacted with me!
Then your opinion would be warranted.
But at the point you posted. It was more you taking a massive dump and looking like a jackass. Atleast in my eyes.

LyristeonSun 29-Jun-08 02:50 PM
1282 posts
#69555, "And maybe..."
In response to Reply #45

Veteran's will stop trying to do these things and get a lot more interaction from me like Fatfrumos and his group did in hell from Eshval and myself.

Ellis (Guest)Sun 29-Jun-08 03:36 PM

#69561, "RE: And maybe..."
In response to Reply #46

I wonder if I'll get flamed for this..... Anyway.

I can't believe this entire thread was spawned by one comment about a "lame" name. I don't really know the percentage of US players to Russian players, but there are soooo many "lame" names. It's your house, and your house rules can be anything you want, but googling every name because it might by suspect is a bit over the top. In that case, you may as well have a name generator built into the character generation code and force players to choose a generated name.

Someone posted names above that are arguably lame (in this context). Well, here's a few more from my memory. Some of these names may have been posted already.

Awk: I wanted to roll up his cousins sed and grep when I saw it. I want to say that sed was actually a name as well, but I'm not certain. What about their second cousins sar, ifconfig, and diff?

Yean: To give birth to goats and sheep

Fjarn: Apparently it's a land in some online fiction.

Wasn't there some bard named Mike?

Humbert: He's a poet, a British firm of chartered surveyors and real estate agents, and an indie music group.

It's been fun googling up current names, but my point is that 90% of names out there already exist in that exact form. Is it a fact that the veteran who chose Fatfrumos as a name had any ill intent? Isn't one of the joys of playing in an imaginary world the freedom to play as a character (or at least the name) you thought was really cool? Who is he harming by choosing that name?

**No, I am not an existing poster that you would recognize. I have occasionally played CF over the last few years and seldom ever posted. just wanted to chime in

Insight (Guest)Mon 30-Jun-08 12:13 PM

#69604, "Russian Char."
In response to Reply #47

Vet did not choose the name. The russian who rolled and started the char did. Vet just played said 'lame ' named char and is likely laughing how you all are upset over the name because he did not even choose it.

FjarnMon 30-Jun-08 04:27 PM
Member since 03rd Jun 2008
173 posts
#69614, "(headscratch)"
In response to Reply #48

>
>Vet did not choose the name. The russian who rolled and
>started the char did. Vet just played said 'lame ' named char
>and is likely laughing how you all are upset over the name
>because he did not even choose it.

That's even dumberer - so much so that I have to assume it's false; because I'm one of those naive fools who thinks that while humanity is by and large retarded, there is a lower limit beyond which the universe will simply implode upon itself, only to instantly balloon inverted into a parallel "smarter" universe, leaving us all blinking and wondering aloud, "hey, did the lights just flicker?"

StraklawMon 30-Jun-08 06:14 PM
Member since 10th Mar 2003
1014 posts
#69621, "*laugh*"
In response to Reply #49

It probably shouldn't have affected me this much, but I spent a solid hour thinking back to this randomly and snickering.

DaBull (Guest)Mon 30-Jun-08 05:56 PM

#69620, "So now we're trading characters, too? Kudos. Kudos. ..."
In response to Reply #48

NT

FjarnMon 30-Jun-08 05:01 PM
Member since 03rd Jun 2008
173 posts
#69617, "RE: And maybe..."
In response to Reply #47

>
>Fjarn: Apparently it's a land in some online fiction.
>

Heh. Neat.

>Isn't one of the joys of playing in an imaginary
>world the freedom to play as a character (or at least the
>name) you thought was really cool? Who is he harming by
>choosing that name?
>

At some point on the scale of obscure name references, it becomes more of a pet peeve. To some, lame names take away from the immersiveness of the world. Every time you see it on "who" or "where", you cringe. Further, an existing name from literature already has a story, a role, a life. For those who know the story, there are predetermined expectations now of how the character should act or talk. If it's obscure enough... maybe some people won't care. Maybe some people will. It's the risk you run if you try to game the system. In this case, Lyristeon chose to just ignore the character, which is his prerogative. Whether it annoys anyone else, it annoys him, so he chose not to reward the character in any way. Other imms looked past the name and rewarded the good or commented on the bad.

Complete aside- One of my biggest peeves is to see old characters' names with one or two (or worse - zero) letters swapped. I generally brush it off as coincidence....monkeys and typewriters and all that jazz. But I still can't help but associate old characters with similar names, and it makes me want to stay away. It's the same principle: the spelling of a name evokes some preconceived expectation, and that's not how I like to play the game.

We're all different, though, and this is just Fjarn's opinion. Plus I got to talk about monkeys.

Demosthenes (Guest)Sun 06-Jul-08 02:52 AM

#69796, "RE: And maybe..."
In response to Reply #50

annoyance or not... How many micheal boltons are there in the world. How irritating is it for them to just be alive?? Taking offence at a name, especially in an imaginary world is silly. I will say though, that having a name like kuslatromi is a wildly douchy, having a name like Djabree(not singling you out just the first name that came to mind) though is not, it's not a common name, or wait is it??? Djabri(read djabree) has about 17000 results when googled. Does that mean that this character is a little less in all our eyes because of that?? Doubtfull. I imagine there's a little personal issue here, much more than just name based. Who am I though...

I #### on the chest of fun! ----> H.S.T.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #69414 Previous topic | Next topic