Subject: "Kyraea the Deleted" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #59010
Show all folders

Kyraea (Guest)Tue 12-Jun-07 07:03 PM

#59010, "Kyraea the Deleted"

125 hours seems a lot longer than it used to.

I heroed around 67 hours, and I think I got inducted around 50 or so. That leaves about 75 hours of having my only cabal power be squire-level mantle. Maybe I was doing something wrong, or maybe there just were never any imms around. But, I raided, I retrieved, I regularly hunted evil, I helped in defense, and talked Maran-like things. I don't know. I was a bit frustrated by it all, to tell the truth.

In case anyone wanted to know, I chose Dance Upon the Southern Winds and Striking the Shadow's Footfall. The combination of the two left me overconfident sometimes. I could do really well in a fight, or really badly. My only suggestion for Striking would be to make it affected by anti-gank code. For the most part, I wanted to try to PK alone. Before hero, I would jump in on the fights of others in the Fortress, who then chided me for aiding. My favorite was "I was doing just fine. He wouldn't have gotten away if you hadn't been aiding." At hero, I tried to largely PK myself. I'd carry preps, but I liked to try to fight prepless, which led to my death quite a few times. However, I had some really good fights and sent people running or dead a lot of times when others wouldn't have. I really disliked people jumping in on my own kills, and I tried to make this clear, but Fortress has a tendency to say "Its my duty to kill evil, not to allow you the honor of fighting." I'm paraphrasing, of course, but I did receive some rather rude replies to my simple asking of letting me fight alone. I added to my role sporadically and what I was going to shape it up to be in the end just didn't seem to pan out.

I only want to give a few goodbyes, but anyone that has something to say, I'll respond to:

Imms:

I got some imm experience early on and then nothing for a long, long time. I understand if I don't earn it, but it seemed indicative of a lack of presence in the Fortress altogether. If I was doing a really bad job as a Fortress Squire, even a little echo to put me back on track would have been nice. I got to the point where I even prayed in character about not being promoted, which was probably a mistake, but I was frustrated. Thank you for the runner's up role contest winner prize. I actually found it very useful.

Fortress:

Thoric - A good, solid Marshall with a fair presence. Thanks for the adventures.

Niheriva - I tried to include you a little bit in what my role was shaping out to be, but I wasn't getting the kind of interaction I was hoping for. That's my fault, as I think communication wasn't happening correctly. Good luck as the Captain.

Olaf - In the very, very limited interaction we had, I learned a lot that will help me in future characters. Thank you, thank you, BIG time.

Empire:

Hunsobo - I think in a lot of ways you were my ideal archnemesis. Some of our fights were really spectacular and I particularly enjoyed our last one during the raid. Sometimes you'd completely steamroll me and sometimes I'd send you running. I really wanted to land at least one kill on you, and I think if I had, I would have stayed around with this character longer. Oh well. Good luck as the Emperor.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Kyraea the Deleted, amada (Guest), 15-Jun-07 07:00 PM, #31
Reply RE: Kyraea the Deleted, Kyraea (Guest), 15-Jun-07 09:04 PM, #32
Reply RE: Kyraea the Deleted, Thoric (Guest), 14-Jun-07 08:25 AM, #27
Reply RE: Kyraea the Deleted, Kyraea (Guest), 14-Jun-07 06:28 PM, #28
Reply Re: Maraning, Daevryn, 13-Jun-07 12:31 PM, #15
Reply I see your point but..., Kyraea (Guest), 13-Jun-07 06:42 PM, #23
     Reply Not every char gets maran'd, A2, 14-Jun-07 10:03 PM, #29
          Reply I can accept that. My complaint is this:, WildGirl, 15-Jun-07 10:59 AM, #30
Reply Surprising, Ktaar (Guest), 13-Jun-07 11:56 AM, #14
Reply Not So Surprising, Kyraea (Guest), 13-Jun-07 06:32 PM, #22
Reply RE: Kyraea the Deleted, Hunsobo (Guest), 13-Jun-07 11:00 AM, #12
Reply The Wall, Kyraea (Guest), 13-Jun-07 06:29 PM, #21
Reply I deleted too!, Olaf (Guest), 13-Jun-07 10:41 AM, #10
Reply RE: I deleted too!, Kyraea (Guest), 13-Jun-07 06:24 PM, #20
Reply RE: Kyraea the Deleted, A2, 13-Jun-07 10:29 AM, #9
Reply RE: Kyraea the Deleted, Waserax (Guest), 13-Jun-07 10:54 AM, #11
     Reply RE: Kyraea the Deleted, A2, 13-Jun-07 11:21 AM, #13
Reply Good fights, Aomiern (Guest), 13-Jun-07 09:49 AM, #8
Reply RE: Good fights, Kyraea (Guest), 13-Jun-07 06:21 PM, #19
Reply Gah..., Gromkonk, 13-Jun-07 09:31 AM, #6
Reply Double Gah, Kyraea (Guest), 13-Jun-07 06:17 PM, #18
     Reply RE: Double Gah, Gromkonk, 14-Jun-07 07:22 AM, #26
Reply RE: Kyraea the Deleted, Soayel (Guest), 13-Jun-07 07:12 AM, #5
Reply Good Cardinal, Kyraea (Guest), 13-Jun-07 09:37 AM, #7
Reply RE: Kyraea the Deleted, Baerinika, 13-Jun-07 06:45 AM, #4
Reply Paradox and Virtue Juxtaposed, Kyraea (Guest), 13-Jun-07 06:15 PM, #17
Reply RE: Paradox and Virtue Juxtaposed, Karel, 14-Jun-07 01:44 AM, #24
     Reply RE: Paradox and Virtue Juxtaposed, Kyraea (Guest), 14-Jun-07 07:15 AM, #25
Reply At the risk of coming off like a prick, when that's not..., Vladamir, 16-Jun-07 07:34 AM, #33
Reply RE: Kyraea the Deleted, Haratzi (Guest), 13-Jun-07 04:53 AM, #3
Reply RE: Kyraea the Deleted, Kyraea (Guest), 13-Jun-07 06:05 PM, #16
Reply RE: Kyraea the Deleted, Waserax (Guest), 12-Jun-07 07:19 PM, #1
     Reply I know its fair game..., Kyraea (Guest), 12-Jun-07 07:26 PM, #2

amada (Guest)Fri 15-Jun-07 07:00 PM

#59104, "RE: Kyraea the Deleted"
In response to Reply #0

hey didn't get to interact with you much but the few times we did were fun!

Kyraea (Guest)Fri 15-Jun-07 09:04 PM

#59107, "RE: Kyraea the Deleted"
In response to Reply #31

We were both on together alot, but you seemed to mostly always be in form or busy, so I never really bothered you. From what I saw when we were together, you have some nice forms. Good luck.

Thoric (Guest)Thu 14-Jun-07 08:25 AM

#59070, "RE: Kyraea the Deleted"
In response to Reply #0

Sorry to see this. I liked having you around...always knew we had a good chance at doing some damage. I didn't have too much overlap with you, so our rp was minimal. This sucks.

Kyraea (Guest)Thu 14-Jun-07 06:28 PM

#59087, "RE: Kyraea the Deleted"
In response to Reply #27

Closer to the end, we had some good interaction. I like your "laissez-faire" attitude towards things. Good luck with Marshalling.

DaevrynWed 13-Jun-07 12:31 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#59031, "Re: Maraning"
In response to Reply #0

I was really surprised the way Kyraea turned it up at hero. In the lower midlevels, I would have bet on this character to be a perma-Squire for sure -- you seemed as lackluster/clueless/blah as any Squire in the history of the cabal. I half wondered if it was a traded character or something.

As I said, you did turn it up at hero, and I think you would have seen Maran sooner or later, but it does take time to overcome that kind of past. Just as the game doesn't begin at hero, neither does the journey towards Maran/Acolyte.

Kyraea (Guest)Wed 13-Jun-07 06:42 PM

#59050, "I see your point but..."
In response to Reply #15

Here's the thing... I've never had a low-strength, low-hp, high-dex axe spec before. I took it as my first spec because I knew where to find decent light axes and everyone and their grandmother has a dagger spec right now. BIIIIG mistake. After the first few fights of getting my butt handed to me, I realized that I would have to powerrank to hero just to stay out of a rut. I occasionally *tried* to PK, but they were half-hearted attempts and I just needed something on the Maran resume that would say "Hey, at least I've been trying." Striking was the whole purpose of this character experimentation. I looked up old elf axe spec logs and said to myself "I wonder what this would be like with better legacies."

Flash forward to hero where I became really overconfident in what I could and couldn't do. I died a LOT, but I had some decent kills. I knew it would be really hard to overcome my "midrank PK blues", but I thought I had proved myself eventually.

That said, I understand the screening process of perma-squire vs. Maran, but when you consider 75 hours worth of Fortress time (roughly) at usually 1-3 hours per login, that's a lot of time to screen someone, especially since there were rank 35 people in Fortress who had already gotten Maran'd. I'm not blaming IMM staff or crying or anything. I got bored with my current situation, praying got no response, so I deleted. I had a lot of fun and that's that.

A2Thu 14-Jun-07 10:03 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
371 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#59092, "Not every char gets maran'd"
In response to Reply #23

Not saying you're crying, but thats the way it is.

WildGirlFri 15-Jun-07 10:59 AM
Member since 16th Sep 2004
250 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#59101, "I can accept that. My complaint is this:"
In response to Reply #29

Squire powers. If you're in Fortress, you're not hiding it, usually. However, every other cabal gives you at least more than one useful cabal power. As a Squire/Acolyte, you basically get for free a really easy-to-find prep that could be replaced in a few short moments.

You don't join cabals just for powers, but they're useful for every other cabal except as a Squire/Acolyte. I'll take further argument to the gameplay board.

Ktaar (Guest)Wed 13-Jun-07 11:56 AM

#59030, "Surprising"
In response to Reply #0

Surprising you weren't maran. On the other hand, my last maran wasn't "promoted" until over 100 hours, as well. Overall, from an opposing POV I think your character bordered on the reckless - like you were trying to do things just beyond the capability of the character. I don't know who the player is, but if you keep at it with that attitude, eventually you are going to be playing a character capable of doing the type of heroic/legendary acts you tried to pull off.

Kyraea (Guest)Wed 13-Jun-07 06:32 PM

#59048, "Not So Surprising"
In response to Reply #14

I think you give me too much credit. The main reason I'd fall to you was because I grew really, really overconfident in my legacies. The last fight we had, I didn't bother prepping because I thought I wouldn't have a problem. Don't underestimate a felar assassin. I enjoyed our fights and how you'd pop out of nowhere so many times. From our RP interaction, you're a great character. From our fights, you're just nasty. Nice surprise assassinations, by the way.

Hunsobo (Guest)Wed 13-Jun-07 11:00 AM

#59027, "RE: Kyraea the Deleted"
In response to Reply #0

"Hunsobo - I think in a lot of ways you were my ideal archnemesis. Some of our fights were really spectacular and I particularly enjoyed our last one during the raid. Sometimes you'd completely steamroll me and sometimes I'd send you running. I really wanted to land at least one kill on you, and I think if I had, I would have stayed around with this character longer. Oh well. Good luck as the Emperor."

Man, I remember killing you once at level 42 it was almost a joke. You had tried to silent-kill Centurions but I was nearby and you fled before I got there to somewhere you thought was safe and slept. Wakebash blah blah.

Then the next night you were hero and had STSF and I think the very next time we fought you whupped my ass.

After that it was always like either I killed you quick or I'd probably end up running (as seems to generally be the case with STSF).

That last raid I burned through so damn many preps that you can pretty much consider it a victory, despite Waserax and I getting away without dying, Orb in tow.

You definitely had a lot of guts and were a great foe. Nice work.

Kyraea (Guest)Wed 13-Jun-07 06:29 PM

#59047, "The Wall"
In response to Reply #12

I think I fought you for the first time just after getting my first legacy and I guffawed at how quickly I got tooled. Second time, I tried to be a little smarter and better prepared from then on, it was... epic. Still, hitting you was like hitting a wall.

I burned through most of my utilitarian preps for that last raid. I was trying to tactically avoid you so I could get the High Priest out of the way and then work on you, but by the time I reached the Fort the first time you two were there, the Watcher was writhing. I was trying to convince you that it was an impasse and not to come back because it seemed inevitable you would take the Orb. I've fought in quite a few raids and that had to be one of my top five favorite. Thanks, and good luck with Emperorhood.

Olaf (Guest)Wed 13-Jun-07 10:41 AM

#59025, "I deleted too!"
In response to Reply #0

This is bad. Fort needs help now. Time to roll another Fortie. Watch out for me!

Your 'go in alone' attitude didn't sit too well with Olaf, actually, since he was sphere Protection and didn't like giving chances for evil to escape and go on killing innocents. But as a player I could understand, and even possibly tactically by not intimidating the enemy one can help seal kills. I know I've tried that tactic with cry of deliverance. A good team of Maran/Acolytes can really cause massive havoc in the evil players ranks.

Make your next a Fortie We'll need it!

Anyways regarding the Maran thing... Most of my chars maran later than other chars, since my playtimes do not mesh with US playtimes (or maybe IMMs don't like my chars kidding). I thought you would have made a good Maran, since you did show combat competency. Though I'd agree with the Maranation system, it does not reward those who make the biggest dents in the evil side, but it's probably about the roleplay. I'll elaborate more on my own goodbye thread I guess.

- Olaf

Kyraea (Guest)Wed 13-Jun-07 06:24 PM

#59046, "RE: I deleted too!"
In response to Reply #10

As I said earlier, you really helped me. I enjoyed the short interaction, and you made a great dwarf. You could definitely deal some damage. Good luck with your next.

A2Wed 13-Jun-07 10:29 AM
371 posts
#59024, "RE: Kyraea the Deleted"
In response to Reply #0

If you want to fight solo, I'd suggest going scion or uncaballed. It is very hard to get people to not step on your toes in fortress.

Waserax (Guest)Wed 13-Jun-07 10:54 AM

#59026, "RE: Kyraea the Deleted"
In response to Reply #9

That shaman did it right? The sphere honor guy who got all the chain communes?

A2Wed 13-Jun-07 11:21 AM
371 posts
#59029, "RE: Kyraea the Deleted"
In response to Reply #11

Yes, and it was a frustrating uphill battle with almost the entire cabal from induction to deletion with many people just saying they would outright ignore the beliefs. With my grurk druid I could attack the people who stepped on my toes making it much easier to deal with.

Aomiern (Guest)Wed 13-Jun-07 09:49 AM

#59023, "Good fights"
In response to Reply #0

We had some great fights, and man did you beat me up well. I didn't like seeing rounds of a fight go buy when none of my hits landed and all of yours did. Sometimes the only damage I could do to you was with my butting horns. I think thats a bit extreme for me to miss you so much, and then to get lagged for an attempted wimpy that you blocked. There were a few times there where once I tried to flee, I was lagged out the rest of the fight. I couldn't even get shifted to the goose. Oh well, you were tough, and you fought regardless of odds. To hear you weren't full maran is very shocking considering the hurting you put on people.

Next time!
Aomiern

Kyraea (Guest)Wed 13-Jun-07 06:21 PM

#59045, "RE: Good fights"
In response to Reply #8

Based on what I know about my first legacy, I tried to give myself as much as an advantage from it that I could. Based on what I know from my second legacy, I exploited what I could do to shifters as much as I could. You were a really great fight and I felt bad about a couple of ganks where you should have been allowed to get away. Ah well. I saw what your form did to others and I was surprised how I avoided a lot of it. Keep ramming up the PKs!

GromkonkWed 13-Jun-07 09:31 AM
Member since 25th Apr 2007
54 posts
#59021, "Gah..."
In response to Reply #0

I might have to roll another Fortie since it looks like they're going to be the underdogs again. I think I said what I needed to say to/about you in my own farewell. Well done.

Kyraea (Guest)Wed 13-Jun-07 06:17 PM

#59044, "Double Gah"
In response to Reply #6

Now that we're both deleted, I really, really didn't like Gromkonk for the simple reason of how much he took from corpses. Sometimes I felt like I did a lot of the work to get someone killed and you might land the killing blow and then you'd take/sacrifice from the corpse at free will. It made me really mad on a couple of occasions. But, oh well. Good luck with your next.

GromkonkThu 14-Jun-07 07:22 AM
Member since 25th Apr 2007
54 posts
#59068, "RE: Double Gah"
In response to Reply #18

If I loot-sacrificed something it was probably flagged evil and/or anti_good. I started doing that early on as it's something I think a Squire/Maran should do. You're there to destroy evil, so destroy it.

I also tried to loot wands because I personally don't know where the wand stashes are and I know that there are others like me. So I'd loot the wands and put them in the chest until one of our mages popped on. Our mages struck me as green so I didn't figure they knew where to get their own wands. I believe in spreading that fun around rather than having wands just in the hands of people who have OOC friends.

I also took things I needed. I never looted somebody's newbie breadz.

I'm not a member of the militant anti-loot gang that seems to have descended from their ivory tower to spread their rancor.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, however, so yay.

Soayel (Guest)Wed 13-Jun-07 07:12 AM

#59020, "RE: Kyraea the Deleted"
In response to Reply #0

Well, I did notice you usually wanted to fight alone.. But for some reasons, sometime that went out the window when we were hanging around. Not like I'm a powerhouse, but you, with a healer, you were a beast.

Ah well, it was fun to have you around and thanks for saving my a$$ from time to time.

Kyraea (Guest)Wed 13-Jun-07 09:37 AM

#59022, "Good Cardinal"
In response to Reply #5

It was for that reason - that you and I together were really nasty - that I tried not to PK with you too much. There was this one time, though, where it was the you, Niheriva (I think) and I going to raid the Empire against four. THAT was a lot of fun. I didn't have a problem with a gang vs. gang, it was just gang vs. individual that I despised. And I think you saved my butt more than I saved yours.

You're doing a great job as Cardinal and I get the very Acolyte-ish/Elvish nurture vibe from you that is great to see in RP for that kind of character. Good luck with leadership.

BaerinikaWed 13-Jun-07 06:45 AM
Member since 23rd Jan 2007
338 posts
#59019, "RE: Kyraea the Deleted"
In response to Reply #0

You had some real moments wherein you shined. Watching you send Hansolo packing on those occasions was a thing of beauty, and I'd been meaning to catch up with you and Maran you (sorry, so busy right now). I had even asked Corrlaan to do it if he saw you first. The reason it took so long, though, was in your RP. I look for people who act like goodies. You tried to afford your enemies an amazing amount of respect, but you never really extended that to your cabalmates. In fact, I think you treated the rest of your cabal far worse than any enemy. I struggled with that, not really sure if you were trying to be standoffish elf or if it was an ooc 'typically the people in this cabal will only get me killed keep them away from me' syndrome.

Good luck with your next.

There will be no white flag above my door. - Dido

Stones taught me to fly
Love taught me to cry
So come on courage
Teach me to be shy
Cause it's not hard to fall - Damien Rice

What doesn't kill you makes a fighter, footsteps even lighter - Kelly Clarkso

Kyraea (Guest)Wed 13-Jun-07 06:15 PM

#59043, "Paradox and Virtue Juxtaposed"
In response to Reply #4

>You tried to afford your enemies an amazing amount of respect, but
>you never really extended that to your cabalmates. In fact, I
>think you treated the rest of your cabal far worse than any
>enemy. I struggled with that, not really sure if you were
>trying to be standoffish elf or if it was an ooc 'typically
>the people in this cabal will only get me killed keep them
>away from me' syndrome.

Something I attempted with my role was to make it mostly exposition about what happened while not roaming the land. The role could explain why someone acted the way they did, but something they did in character wouldn't make it into the role. Mm... not sure if I really RPed it the way I wanted it to come off as, but she had respect for her enemies and enjoyed a really great fight (sphere combat) while frowning upon mismatched combat. As she had the opportunity to fight her enemies and not her allies, she oddly held her enemies in higher esteem. They were more her equals, though she despised them. Likewise, she felt that she excelled in combat where a lot of others from the Fortress wouldn't, and had the kind of Elven "superiority complex" thing happening. Because she was banished from her home, she even felt this to a great degree with other elves, though not as standoffishly to them as others. That's how I "tried" to do it, but I'm not certain that's how it came off. Regardless, I (the player) never felt my allies would get me killed. More allies equals greater chance of living.

I tried to add more complexities to the dynamics of the character, moreso than I could handle, I think.

KarelThu 14-Jun-07 01:44 AM
569 posts
#59056, "RE: Paradox and Virtue Juxtaposed"
In response to Reply #17

More allies equals greater chance of living

First Fort character? =P

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." - Jimi Hendrix

Kyraea (Guest)Thu 14-Jun-07 07:15 AM

#59066, "RE: Paradox and Virtue Juxtaposed"
In response to Reply #24

The current group of Fortress is/was actually pretty competent. I think I may have some logs to that effect.

VladamirSat 16-Jun-07 07:34 AM
1179 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#59111, "At the risk of coming off like a prick, when that's not..."
In response to Reply #4

I think the only line uttered more than "We were just thinking up your lich quest" and "We had a quest form for you we were just waiting for the right time" combined, it would be "I was waiting to catch up with you and Maranate you". If you saw her doing stuff worthy of being made full Maran, why not just lay it on her then?

Maranation doesn't have to be some huge affair, and to be honest this is one of the things that I REALLY miss about Shokai being active. If he was watching, you could have your Maranation dropped on you without any warning. I once had it slapped on me during a solo retrieval, and I didn't even notice because I was so caught up in the combat. I didn't need a long drawn out RP experience to herald my spiffy new powers, Shokai saw I was doing what a Maran ought to do, and dropped it on me right there.

Whats wrong with doing it that way? It keeps players from feeling like "Hey I've been doing my thing for hundreds of hours, and I'm still a Squire. This sucks", and dropping it on them right when they do cool things (Ala kicking Hunsobo around) shows just what kinds of things they should be doing. I'm not pointing fingers, just wondering why if you were seeing the cool things necessary for Maran, and had the intention of giving it to her, didn't you just do it when you were watching the cool things? Seems to me thats the time to do it.

Bear in mind I'm NOT pointing fingers, I'm just wondering what the thought process is since every imm has a different way of doing things.

Haratzi (Guest)Wed 13-Jun-07 04:53 AM

#59018, "RE: Kyraea the Deleted"
In response to Reply #0

We had some fun fights. For some reason you were very good at finding my throat with your daggers. A gutsy character never scared of throwing it down.

Good luck with your next.

Kyraea (Guest)Wed 13-Jun-07 06:05 PM

#59042, "RE: Kyraea the Deleted"
In response to Reply #3

You did get me a couple of times when I was being really dumb. Once I figured out how to fight an invoker after putting a dagger in their throat, I didn't do so badly. Thanks for some good fights. I enjoyed them a lot. You're a nasty Chancellor to have to face.

Waserax (Guest)Tue 12-Jun-07 07:19 PM

#59011, "RE: Kyraea the Deleted"
In response to Reply #0

Bummer. You seemed pretty cool, and were definitely someone I considered dangerous. With your saves, if I couldn't make you drop weapons w/ wither then I was pretty much resigned to having to word. Couple your legacy with wrathing paladins and it's just nasty.

That last time at the palace when I fled from you and Niheriva- I totally should have died. Wimpy fled w/ 90 hp before my "co wo" could go through. After I fled it went through, but failed because I was wrathed. So I sit there waiting out my 2 rounds of lag, cursing myself because I know I'm about to die, then manage to teleport before you could come up and finish me.

Kyraea (Guest)Tue 12-Jun-07 07:26 PM

#59012, "I know its fair game..."
In response to Reply #1

...but I always hated ganking at the outer. When there's no chance for the ganked to win and no way for them to escape and then it just becomes a race for perma-lagging, it takes the fun out of it. But, shaman are different in that respect. Shaman are harder to seal the kill on.

I really enjoyed our last fight. That was the most fun I've had in a raid in a long time.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #59010 Previous topic | Next topic