Subject: "So long, and thanks for all the coffee" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #55669
Show all folders

Hrudgir (Guest)Thu 01-Mar-07 10:28 PM

#55669, "So long, and thanks for all the coffee"

I've always wanted to play a dwarven Paladin. I like dwarves. I like Paladins. Ergo, I wanted to do both. I could never figure out how to mesh the proper RP of a dwarf and a Paladin though, so I've never rolled one. Hrudgir's role was the answer to that. He became a Paladin on a bet with his brother. Gave up booze at the same time. I think it worked, as far as that goes, but I don't think rping a Dwarven Paladin is as much fun as rping a straight up paladin, or a straight up dwarf.

I don't see myself doing a two hander again anytime soon. I can't see playing one without Temperance, which I did get, but it seems like such a crapshoot. If you look at the PBFs of all the bigtime Paladins, Lariya, Solasarath, Saroiya, you will notice one thing, they all have Temp. Without it, you are bashbait. This is doubly true now that APs are meanass even without a boatload of charges. ABS + Bash == ouch if you can't tank well. Fortitude is awesome, but limited. I think it should be looked at. At the point you need aristae/spirit of the blade, you are probably being lagged into the ground anyways. Beyond that, they are supps you CANNOT have fail when you need them, and since they are so situational (and Aris costs so much mana) your possibility of having them at a high % is low. I tried to use Spirit a few times, unsuccessfully. That said, those two supps let me beat a level ~ 53 IMM in single combat so what ever. In fairness she wasn't dual wielding

Dwarf makes for a super fun paladin. A billion hp + Pwent == pwnage in the mid ranks. I killed something like 30 people at level 32 in about 7 days. Mucho fun.

Goodbyes

Baerinika -- You are a jawdropping rper. Quiet, reserved, solid. Solid in the sense that your character oozes presence, seems a part of the land. I haven't had such a good IMM experience in quite a while. Thank you for the chats, I don't think I ever fully understood where you are going with the religion however. Thanks for all the time you spent with me, and your patience. Hell, thanks for empowering me considering my role. Anyways, thank you for awesomeness. Sorry for the rage delete the other day, but I probably should have stayed deleted. The fire went out of the character after the sex change.

Ysal -- I PWNED U!!!! Thanks for the duel, thanks for being a sport about it, thanks for kicking my ass with tankards. It was fitting! Every char I interact with you as, I am impressed. You do dwarf as dwarf is rarely done.

Twist -- Sorry I didn't do much with that time in Voralian. I was very tired and had *no* idea where you were going with that. Thanks for coming down, regardless.

Eshval -- Sigh. Eshval. You are awesome in your way, and I really am sorry about that role breach. I have *never* done that before. I meant what I said. You gave my character an opportunity and I squandered it. BTW, you need something new besides kinetic shield! I see kinetic shield and think YO ESH HOW DO?

Fort

Enarn -- Awesome sauce. Always good to have an ally who makes you feel like an utter newbie. Thanks for the lewt, and showing me some things. I finally learned a few areas that I have always wanted to know with you.

Mendecirith -- Darned good Cardinal, was fun running around with you for sure. The sheer amount of top end gear you went through rapidly astounded me.

Xenillia -- My first friend in the fortress. You annoys lots of people, but I think in your own way you have some great RP going. With you at my side I felt invincable, from 25 to hero. Very well played healer.

Pallidis -- Thank you so much for showing me that area. I have always wanted to learn it, and now I think I could go there with any character. Damned skilled, obviously.

Rozanel -- Thanks for the sword. I had it when I deleted today, and became very attached by the end.

Zephon/Miko -- Never really got a feel for either of your characters, but good job the other night against Kanaev/Algrahk.

Aldran -- Very well done character from what I saw. I liked you about a thousand times better after I booted you, and you in a way seemed to be enjoying the char more as well. I could be misreading that though.

Aithirmeis -- As time went on your character improved immensely. By the end, I felt like you were Maran to the T. Full of heart, fearless. Nice character.

Empire

Hunsobo -- One of my better friends Very very very cool character. You do what you do damned well, and I think you play with an awesome attitude. Always fun to fight you, and I think you can see the difference Temp made in our fights. About that one time when I Cried to Enarn during your duel. It really actually was an accident. We were grouped, he hadn't announced it, I saw his hp dropping so I cried. I totally called your plan in Ysigrath by the way If I was a better pker I would have killed you there.

Kharglurhn -- Amazing character. Everyone I know has mad respect for you. I think you are the best AP on record. How many decent sized unholies have you lost? You just keep trucking. Tough as hell without any charges. I think you can see the respect people have for you in that recent Fort gank on you. Five dude killed you and I think you lost 3 pieces of gear? Awesome char.

Waserax -- Ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch. You + bash == death. You do what you do well I think.

Thos -- Goddamned brick. I had 10 hp left that time recently at the Fortress.

Scion

Edimus -- You probably really disliked me. For whatever reason we never fought 1v1, and I think my other enemies can attest that I was willing to. You are obviously an impressively skilled bard. That time on Sumner's I was pretty wowed. 45 mins of fighting and then you nail the kill. Well done. Damn your girdle, I thought they were different grapes

Kanaev -- OUCH. I think shaman dispel is probably overboard on your charmies. You are the nastiest char currently I think, well played.

Haratzi -- Obviously a super skilled voker. Fearless. I was impressed. Sorry I tried to shamelessly gank you so many times.

Outlander

Jrhurg -- Heh, I don't care what anyone says, I like your character.

Raviri/Ghengir -- Wasn't particularly impressed with either of you. If the fight wasn't 100% in your favor neither of you seemed to do very well, and neither of you ever spoke with me despite me trying a few times with you both. I'm sure you are doing something I can't see right though to have leadership in your cabals.

Halistanis -- It is rare that a relationship between two characters grows like ours did. By the end, I considered you one of Hrudgir's better friends. Very well rped character.

Uncaballed/Orc

Palmer -- Fun fighting you, can't believe I got away from you in Arkham. Also fun talking to you. You are chatty, and that is cool.

Gnashgaar -- Man did you own me in the midranks. Well played orc.

Herald

Siladhiele -- I had so much fun talking to you. The first elf bard high herald that hasn't annoyed me in who knows how long.

Anyways, the fire went out of this character. The sex change forced me to substantially alter my RP, and I didn't enjoy that. I started feeling like Fort Bot instead of a living breathing character, and it wasn't fun. I rage deleted right after I ate the grapes, and probably should have just stayed deleted then. I did everything in my power I think to figure out how to change back. Full explored Sirine, and went around Voralian for about 4 hours total saytoing, etc. No luck.

-Larcat

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: So long, and thanks for all the coffee, Yikoti (Guest), 05-Mar-07 09:13 AM, #24
Reply RE: So long, and thanks for all the coffee, Aldran (Guest), 04-Mar-07 02:57 PM, #23
Reply RE: So long, and thanks for all the coffee, Daelen, 02-Mar-07 09:06 PM, #21
Reply I wish I could put coffee in a Tankard, Theroc (Guest), 02-Mar-07 03:19 PM, #20
Reply RE: So long, and thanks for all the coffee, Eshval, 02-Mar-07 01:23 PM, #19
Reply RE: So long, and thanks for all the coffee, Siladhiele (Guest), 02-Mar-07 12:58 PM, #18
Reply See ya, Ialob (Guest), 02-Mar-07 11:08 AM, #15
Reply Bye, Edimus (Guest), 02-Mar-07 10:47 AM, #14
Reply Bah! I should tie yer beard round yer ears!, Ysaloerye, 02-Mar-07 10:36 AM, #13
Reply My tattoo was finished last night., Baerinika, 02-Mar-07 10:29 AM, #12
Reply Damn thats as bad as "We were just putting together you..., Vladamir, 02-Mar-07 12:46 PM, #16
     Reply Disagree txt, Hrudgir (Guest), 02-Mar-07 12:51 PM, #17
          Reply I trust her judgement on who is worthy and not., Vladamir, 03-Mar-07 06:34 AM, #22
Reply Yep, things seemed to change overnight..., Hunsobo (Guest), 02-Mar-07 12:43 AM, #7
Reply Heh, Bal'Talon, Hrudgir (Guest), 02-Mar-07 01:02 AM, #8
     Reply RE: Heh, Bal'Talon, Daevryn, 02-Mar-07 01:28 AM, #9
          Reply pwned!, vegalicous (Guest), 02-Mar-07 04:14 AM, #11
Reply TT =*( ::sad::, Mendecirith (Guest), 01-Mar-07 10:43 PM, #3
Reply RE: So long, and thanks for all the coffee, Waserax (Guest), 01-Mar-07 10:38 PM, #2
Reply One little addendum -- Pesh, Hrudgir (Guest), 01-Mar-07 10:30 PM, #1
     Reply The 'goose' social is overpowered. n/t, Pesh (Guest), 01-Mar-07 11:41 PM, #4
          Reply Emoting fondling a hero paladins #### with no fear of r..., Hrudgir (Guest), 01-Mar-07 11:44 PM, #5
               Reply Agreed and I wish Imms would to some smiting when it ha..., Pro-man (Guest), 01-Mar-07 11:56 PM, #6
                    Reply I agree, Zephon (Guest), 02-Mar-07 01:55 AM, #10

Yikoti (Guest)Mon 05-Mar-07 09:13 AM

#55769, "RE: So long, and thanks for all the coffee"
In response to Reply #0

That sucks. Been around or interacted with you for a couple charcaters before Yikoti actually, and was just in awe of your dwarfness. Sadly we never had a chance to even share a cuppa... Anyway, props where they are due, and good luck with the next.

Aldran (Guest)Sun 04-Mar-07 02:57 PM

#55750, "RE: So long, and thanks for all the coffee"
In response to Reply #0

Hmm, well, I don't really want to talk about Aldran's RP or my enjoyment of it or lack thereof in such a public place while he is still alive, so that will have to wait. The boot itself was definately a positive, as can be extrapolated in game, or to be more exact, fit his role. I, personally, was enjoying my time in the Fortress and the interactions within. It's a lot more difficult to find people to talk to as a non-cabaled without going to the Inn. Anyways, we really didn't interact much, but the little I did see impressed me. Good luck with your next.

DaelenFri 02-Mar-07 09:06 PM
Member since 02nd Nov 2006
51 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#55711, "RE: So long, and thanks for all the coffee"
In response to Reply #0

And I was just getting used to the idea of a coffee drinking dwarf.
I liked everything I saw/heard of you by the way. Nice work all around.

Theroc (Guest)Fri 02-Mar-07 03:19 PM

#55705, "I wish I could put coffee in a Tankard"
In response to Reply #0

And I do not get a mention? I wanted to ask you so bad why you couldn't drink ale; but out of respect for the Captain, I refrained myself.

I always thought that the Dwarves should be able to drink ale instead of water when they are thirsty.

EshvalFri 02-Mar-07 01:23 PM
Member since 22nd Aug 2004
519 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#55701, "RE: So long, and thanks for all the coffee"
In response to Reply #0

You know, you are right on all fronts (concerning me). Thanks for the tip. Character-wise, you were a lot of fun during all interactions and just enjable to watch. I enjoyed your overall approach to good v evil and note that you made a heck of an impression on me.

Eshval's email
BlackMarquessa@gmail.com

Eshval's slightly off-center (unofficial) blog.
http://blackmarquessa.blogspot.com/
Carnivàle
http://cirquecarnivale.wordpress.com/

Siladhiele (Guest)Fri 02-Mar-07 12:58 PM

#55697, "RE: So long, and thanks for all the coffee"
In response to Reply #0

Siladhiele -- I had so much fun talking to you. The first elf bard high herald that hasn't annoyed me in who knows how long.

I liked Hrudgir a lot. Glad Sil didn't annoy you, trust me, if they had spent more time together, she would have. Sorry to see you go

Ialob (Guest)Fri 02-Mar-07 11:08 AM

#55693, "See ya"
In response to Reply #0

Man, I could never type dwarven gibberish that fast. Good times man, sorry you got turned into a chick.

Cheers!

Edimus (Guest)Fri 02-Mar-07 10:47 AM

#55692, "Bye"
In response to Reply #0

>Edimus -- You probably really disliked me. For whatever reason
>we never fought 1v1, and I think my other enemies can attest
>that I was willing to.

I didn't dislike you at all. In fact I thought you were cool. Anything I said about fighting in gangs was just goading (shh, don't tell anyone). When you go attack an enemy cabal you expect anyone who can fight you to show up to defend, period. I'm sure it has seemed to some people that I fight in gangs despite trying not to, but when you're in a cabal you sometimes fight in a group and that's all there is to it.

>You are obviously an impressively
>skilled bard. That time on Sumner's I was pretty wowed. 45
>mins of fighting and then you nail the kill. Well done.

Heh, well thank you. You were actually very tough for me. I'm usually not nervous fighting paladins at the fort, but against you it always felt dangerous. You knew your moves, dished out damage and generally made a pain in the ass of yourself, kudos.

> Damn your girdle, I thought they were different grapes

That's one of the reasons I carry them. As a little spite against anyone who takes my not-very-valuable girdle. Now that it's posted chances are people won't fall for it though. Oh well.

>Anyways, the fire went out of this character. The sex change
>forced me to substantially alter my RP, and I didn't enjoy
>that. ... I rage deleted right after I ate the grapes,
>and probably should have just stayed deleted then.

That sucks thoguh, I'm sorry it had that effect on you.

YsaloeryeFri 02-Mar-07 10:36 AM
Member since 09th Apr 2006
315 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#55690, "Bah! I should tie yer beard round yer ears!"
In response to Reply #0

I was laughing my ass off when you ate the grapes, I had a flood of wicked thoughts: sending you heraldic missives to the dwarfess ales and tales club, making pink beard braids, but when you deleted right after it I decided not to torture too much and was trying to think up a way to get your lads to grow back by having you drink lots of ale.

Ysal -- I PWNED U!!!! Thanks for the duel, thanks for being a sport about it, thanks for kicking my ass with tankards. It was fitting! Every char I interact with you as, I am impressed. You do dwarf as dwarf is rarely done.

Yeah big time. Serves me right. I was just planning on roughing you up because the last mort I fought, I waxed them horribly. So I wielded my avg 10 mace and held my barrel of ale. Then I realized I didn't need the kid gloves and should have put at least resistance up! Then you handed me a cup of coffee, so I thought the tankard smackdown was the way to go

BTW I was responsible for all the casks and bottles of ale that kept showing up in your inventory after that, I almost switched out your water filled mug of spiced wine with a real one, but decided it was going to be too mean =0p

Great job with Hrudgir as you might expect I have a soft spot for well played dwarves.

BaerinikaFri 02-Mar-07 10:29 AM
Member since 23rd Jan 2007
338 posts
#55689, "My tattoo was finished last night."
In response to Reply #0

And it's really ####ing cool. And you were going to be the first person to get it. I guess that won't be happening now.

I'm pretty disappointed to see this. I was looking forward to seeing what you would do with Captain and with the religion in general. You're right, the religion is sort of open ended. I wanted people to take charge and find their own path with it. It's not a religion where I'm going to tell you what to do, though obviously I do set some fairly strict rules.

Side note, if it was a choice between telling you how to do the quest and you deleting...I'd have told you how to do the quest. You could have talked to me about it, I would have helped.

At any rate, good luck on your next, hope to see you again in the Ruin and in the Fortress.

There will be no white flag above my door. - Dido

Stones taught me to fly
Love taught me to cry
So come on courage
Teach me to be shy
Cause it's not hard to fall - Damien Rice

What doesn't kill you makes a fighter, footsteps even lighter - Kelly Clarkso

VladamirFri 02-Mar-07 12:46 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1179 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#55695, "Damn thats as bad as "We were just putting together you..."
In response to Reply #12

Nothing against you, it's just funny how many people willd elete and then see stuff like this on the thread. Thats why I so seldom delete.

Hrudgir (Guest)Fri 02-Mar-07 12:51 PM

#55696, "Disagree txt"
In response to Reply #16

I'm very flattered that Baerinika was going to give me her tat, but honestly I don't think I deserved it. I had all three spheres down, I thought, but I never put them together into something more. See my comment about "not really getting" the religion in my goodbyes.

VladamirSat 03-Mar-07 06:34 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1179 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#55716, "I trust her judgement on who is worthy and not."
In response to Reply #17

I mean, it's her religion. I think she knows when someone is deserving. So shut up and stop being so humble.

Hunsobo (Guest)Fri 02-Mar-07 12:43 AM

#55681, "Yep, things seemed to change overnight..."
In response to Reply #0

I have to admit that I don't think it was Temperance though...that helped a ton, yeah, but Bal'talon was kicking my ass. Nodisarm on a char that has bigtime DR and hits even 3/4 as hard as me will paste me pretty good.

You were a fearsome foe, though.

Yuh. Good smashin'.

Hrudgir (Guest)Fri 02-Mar-07 01:02 AM

#55682, "Heh, Bal'Talon"
In response to Reply #7

Wielding that thing against you made me really worried, but you never exploited it. Bal'Talon against empire is eventual death for a Paladin, imho.

DaevrynFri 02-Mar-07 01:28 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#55683, "RE: Heh, Bal'Talon"
In response to Reply #8

Oooooh that's mean. Took me a minute to figure out what you meant.

vegalicous (Guest)Fri 02-Mar-07 04:14 AM

#55686, "pwned!"
In response to Reply #9

Took me about five secs!

Mendecirith (Guest)Thu 01-Mar-07 10:43 PM

#55673, "TT =*( ::sad::"
In response to Reply #0

Dammit. I really, really meant to go around Voralian again and try to figure it out, I thought about it as recently as today in class. I should have gotten on that sooner, and I'd still have my beefy dwarf buddy.

First of all, I'll echo Enarn and say that your ability to type in that dwarven brogue/accent is just astounding. Kudos. That just never failed to impress me.

Otherwise, you're an amazing rper. I thought you really had the heart and the attitude just right for a dwarf pally. The tension between the bawdiness and the holiness was par excellence, and your reverence and constant references to your faith and Baerinika really impressed me. I also really, really meant to ask about your nephew, but we were usually trying to get ready for the Empire when we were together. Blah.

Going through top-end gear? Yeah, that's me. The reason I've hung onto this set so long is that Hunsobo hasn't looted anything in quite a while. And I'm not running in alone like an idiot anymore. Well, most of the time...

What can I say? I'm really sorry that we couldn't figure out how to change you back and keep your rp and interest alive. This is another huge blow to the Fort. You were competent and inspiring to the Squires, a good Captain. You did a great job, and you'll be missed.

Always been impressed w/ your intelligence and knowledge on the forums. I'm really happy I got to play beside you. Good luck with the next.

Waserax (Guest)Thu 01-Mar-07 10:38 PM

#55672, "RE: So long, and thanks for all the coffee"
In response to Reply #0

>Waserax -- Ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch. You + bash == death. You
>do what you do well I think.

I can "co dispel" like nobody's business!

Hrudgir (Guest)Thu 01-Mar-07 10:30 PM

#55670, "One little addendum -- Pesh"
In response to Reply #0

I think doing what you did with my character is pretty horrible RP. The tells and says are fine. Don't emote something that the other person would obviously want to attack you over out of PK. I could respond with something like, "emote rips Pesh's ####ing head off and ####s down his throat-hole." and that would be bad rp as well.

Pesh (Guest)Thu 01-Mar-07 11:41 PM

#55677, "The 'goose' social is overpowered. n/t"
In response to Reply #1

bleh

Hrudgir (Guest)Thu 01-Mar-07 11:44 PM

#55678, "Emoting fondling a hero paladins #### with no fear of r..."
In response to Reply #4

nt

Pro-man (Guest)Thu 01-Mar-07 11:56 PM

#55679, "Agreed and I wish Imms would to some smiting when it ha..."
In response to Reply #5

n/t

Zephon (Guest)Fri 02-Mar-07 01:55 AM

#55685, "I agree"
In response to Reply #6

Oh, by the way. Well done, Captain.
I'm sorry that you were unable to change back.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #55669 Previous topic | Next topic