Subject: "(DELETED) [None] Yumi the High Sorceress of the Arcane" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #53675
Show all folders

Death_AngelSat 23-Dec-06 06:52 PM
Member since 26th Sep 2024
17185 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#53675, "(DELETED) [None] Yumi the High Sorceress of the Arcane"

Sat Dec 23 17:49:41 2006

At 6 o'clock AM, Day of Deception, 2nd of the Month of the Dark Shades
on the Theran calendar Yumi perished, never to return.

Race:dark-elf
Class:transmuter
Level:51
Alignment:Evil
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:None, None
Hours:178

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply You seemed beside yourself., Yumi (Guest), 26-Dec-06 08:59 PM, #11
Reply I thought Yumi was cool, Mallias (Guest), 29-Dec-06 05:03 PM, #13
Reply You will be missed, Lexicus (Guest), 25-Dec-06 02:40 PM, #8
Reply Yumi, Nihkorzhebus (Guest), 23-Dec-06 09:27 PM, #2
Reply Is there a war of the sexes among Dark-elves? n/t, Pro-man (Guest), 25-Dec-06 01:36 AM, #4
     Reply Yes. And the men are always losing, historically., Scrimbul, 25-Dec-06 02:14 AM, #5
          Reply Khas told me that was all a myth :) Males rule the dark..., Dhaezym (Guest), 25-Dec-06 12:24 PM, #6
          Reply I know that's Classic AD&D., Pro-man (Guest), 25-Dec-06 02:06 PM, #7
          Reply Whether that's the case or not..., Scrimbul, 25-Dec-06 08:05 PM, #9
          Reply Not really., Valguarnera, 26-Dec-06 01:08 PM, #10
               Reply RE: Not really., Eroci (Guest), 26-Dec-06 09:39 PM, #12
Reply *sighs with relief*, Phryxal (Guest), 23-Dec-06 07:33 PM, #1
     Reply Noooo, nilian (Guest), 24-Dec-06 12:26 AM, #3

Yumi (Guest)Tue 26-Dec-06 08:59 PM

#53707, "You seemed beside yourself."
In response to Reply #0

Transmuters are really, seriously good at surviving. Perfect stealth, class based lag protection plus word and teleport left basically blackjack as the only thing to ever even worry about. Pretty great if you like to play conservatively, but I don't. So, yeah.

I guess I felt like I'd sort of shallowly explored the capabilities of the class, and the kind of approach that seemed to work best just didn't look very interesting. I definitely liked this character a lot though.

Now, I was perfectly capable of just ignoring or escaping from anyone who wasn't fun to be around, so, if I ever approached your character more than once, as an enemy or a friend, it was specifically because I liked you. I know if I try to list people though I'll forget.

Mallias (Guest)Fri 29-Dec-06 05:03 PM

#53748, "I thought Yumi was cool"
In response to Reply #11

Definitely had a creepy air to you and I was always keeping my eyes open in case you showed up when I was ranking.

Quite enjoyed that time you attacked the person I was about to duel too.

Lexicus (Guest)Mon 25-Dec-06 02:40 PM

#53700, "You will be missed"
In response to Reply #0

We had some good fights dude. Its a tough match up for you but you kept trying new things and that was pretty cool. You were quality though in our few interactions and I look forward to squaring off with you down the road.

Nihkorzhebus (Guest)Sat 23-Dec-06 09:27 PM

#53682, "Yumi"
In response to Reply #0

Sorry for gettin you that one time a while ago. Well the player's sorry at least . Nihk didn't like that you were only amused at my first attempt to neuro your skull. The whole female vs male drow competition thing and all. Wish we had interracted more after that. I was always scared you'd somehow get me back. Ah well...

Your logs were cool in that you seemed to use unconventional methods. It'd be cool to see more of them if you post 'em.

Pro-man (Guest)Mon 25-Dec-06 01:36 AM

#53692, "Is there a war of the sexes among Dark-elves? n/t"
In response to Reply #2

Never been sure.

ScrimbulMon 25-Dec-06 02:14 AM
Member since 22nd Apr 2003
884 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#53694, "Yes. And the men are always losing, historically."
In response to Reply #4

Basically, (outside of individual circumstances changing classes) women are mostly priests, royalty, nobility, heads of the house, owners of property/slaves etc. This is true if you look through Velkyn Oloth, the Drow City in the underdark, and a few other miscellaneous sources.

Men tend to be warriors and mages, if they are very 'good' and please their Mistresses as a gladiator or servant they can at times become a husband, but they can never have any place of real power in a matriarchial society. Many male drow are going to be embittered by this on some level because, well, they're guys. No typical male that wasn't totally whipped would put up with that society with a smile.

And of course obviously a half-drow is going to have a hellish time surviving in the Underdark than a half-elf might in the Vale or Darsylon, because not only would his mother have either had to be weak or stupid to get knocked up by an inferior race (mostly human in CF/D&D), but he/she is by definition and background almost always a bastard and will be treated as such on sight.

At least this is my understanding of things and as long as you don't go out of your way to force in anything screwy like the Dark-Elf Trilogy or any number of other things that indicate that drow can be anything other than their natural tendencies largely popularized by D&D, you can assume most drow (npcs) at least have this knowledge and attitude background.

While an individual a character role might have reason to have a different background and circumstances, it's pretty much how things have worked in D&D, and for game balance along with RP reasons, in CF. So it's how they're assumed to be played because of the history involving Lloth, (since Lloth existed in Theran history, it means that the drow race timeline is going to more or less mirror those of typical D&D drow and not Drizzt. All of this background contributes to why drow are evil only.) Even with the death of Lloth, there has been no reason for this to change only because while Drow are intelligent folks, they never have been terribly good at uniting so any society beneath the Underdark will probably stagnate. Especially since they are hostile to pretty much anyone that steps inside there, period. Most of these economical and political truths regarding isolation are going to exist for Teth Azeleth as well.

All of this is for the most part what he was alluding to in the above post, Pro. Male drow of non-mage classes are typically going to be easily infuriated by any woman patronizing them but especially drow females.

Some people might argue that there is a difference between 'drow' and the term 'dark-elf' but for CF so far, they are one and the same as far as NPC's go.

"I have to admit I hate pretty much all of these ideas. " - Nepenthe, on New Ranger Skills

Dhaezym (Guest)Mon 25-Dec-06 12:24 PM

#53697, "Khas told me that was all a myth :) Males rule the dark..."
In response to Reply #5

NT

Pro-man (Guest)Mon 25-Dec-06 02:06 PM

#53699, "I know that's Classic AD&D."
In response to Reply #5

I wasn under the impression that wasn't neccisarily true here.

If i recall correctly, Valg doesn't even care for the term Drow.

ScrimbulMon 25-Dec-06 08:05 PM
Member since 22nd Apr 2003
884 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#53701, "Whether that's the case or not..."
In response to Reply #7

With the removal of Icewind Dale, there's no evidence to the contrary that I'm aware of at all. And player RP in general thus far has been either neutral or supportive of this lore.

"I have to admit I hate pretty much all of these ideas. " - Nepenthe, on New Ranger Skills

ValguarneraTue 26-Dec-06 01:08 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#53705, "Not really."
In response to Reply #5

We've very intentionally downplayed the word "Drow" and removed several of the themes based on those series of books for several reasons:

1) If we get a good idea outside of those themes, we're not chained to them.

2) We don't want those books to be a prerequisite to playing a dark-elf "correctly".

All the stuff you're writing could be a valid angle, but you shouldn't expect it to be the default.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

Eroci (Guest)Tue 26-Dec-06 09:39 PM

#53709, "RE: Not really."
In response to Reply #10

If its not the default, why is all the information in the Lyceum presented as Drizzit's Story?

Phryxal (Guest)Sat 23-Dec-06 07:33 PM

#53676, "*sighs with relief*"
In response to Reply #0

Enjoyed the fights.

nilian (Guest)Sun 24-Dec-06 12:26 AM

#53685, "Noooo"
In response to Reply #1

seems all my enemys are deleting... I loved fighting you. Do return

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #53675 Previous topic | Next topic