Subject: "I am sorry to anounce, but Eqithan has passed away." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #52621
Show all folders

elmeri_Sat 18-Nov-06 09:39 PM
Member since 13th Dec 2004
252 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#52621, "I am sorry to anounce, but Eqithan has passed away."

<1115/1193hp 417m 1078mv 4 PM>
You are momentarily suprised as someone stumbles into you.
Your words of indignation die at your lips as you feel someone's dagger slip through your ribs and pierce your heart.
You feel your legs go weak as your life blood washes through your fingers.
You have been KILLED!!

You are no longer resistant to poison.
You have died, but the Carrion Fields are not finished with you yet!
Your soul is returned to the realms in the form of a ghost.
You will return to your corporeal state in a short while.
Be careful, for even a ghost should fear some dangers!

Honestly though, this is one of those times I'm not too pissed off to be assassinated, since I knew it was comming sooner or later. I've been rolling this one around for a while now, since things were getting sort of bland, and I was once again playing way too much. I had a few exams a few weeks ago, and I nearly flunked two. Now a new period started, and I started it way worse than I should. On top of that, ski season is starting and I will be off on training camps and races (I work as a ski coach on side of my studies), so my time will be hard pressed and I have realised there is no mid way of CF for me. It's either 5+ hours a day, or none at all. Right now none is better.

For this week I have been desperately seeking out a bard to scribe a note to reopen Nexus, and I am REALLY, REALLY sorry for Nexus imms, fellow Nexites, and would be applicants, and I hope this will not have a negative effect on how Nexus starts to roll, because I think it's an awesom cabal for the game dynamic, hopefully evening out the playing field a bit. I also feel a need to appologize for to those who voted for me, because I feel like being a let down for deleting so fast after the awesom chance you gave me. I really hope a replacement can be picked quick, and the cabal can pick up speed and closing the cabal (which I think was necessary when there were 6 heros and a multitude of applicants), won't come and haunt my dreams.

Background:
Eqithan was a char I rolled up as a heat of the moment decision, wanting to try out the new cabal. I thought of a role quick, and it was based on the cloud giant helpfiles mostly, and the curse of cloud giants and whatever. From that point, my charachter developed to another direction, especially after I noticed new Nexus was quite a lot different than I expected. I was kind of lazy updating my role (I always am, I always end up logging on, then realise my role isn't up to date, and think I'll do it later), and it probably just looked like I was doing a piss poor job at roleplaying to any imm .

Lifespan:
When I first heroed, the ragers were strong. But not much after up, Nexus picked up a compact and competent crew, that started taking some names in Nexus vs. village war. Very soon the number of ragers diminished. Once the numbers were dying down, Eqithan met very little real threat, barring the inevitable assassinate with my tendancy to just stand mid eastern hoping for some hostiles to walk up. I tried my best to not kick people in the junk more than necessary, and be as courteous as I could after killing them. Nexus roleplay lends itself very well for this (at least the way I see it), as none of the people you fight or kill are really enemies of your charachter, but instead just guys that happen to tilt the balance in the wrong direction.

Some comments:
Nexus idea and roleplay is cool, and I think it leads to interesting conflict. Even though people call them fickle and what not, I think Nexus lends to the perfect gentleman warfare, where you can butt heads without any actual interest in destroying your enemy, but instead just fighting them for temporary reasons. I like being able to shake hands with my enemy after a win or a loss.
Nexus powers on another hand, are less than ideal (not trying to put down the hard work, just sharing some thoughts). Trying to give reasons without going into too much detail. Vanguard is nice, but usually fealt fairly minor. My thoughts might change though, if I got to fight badass rager opposition, or saw the balance tilt further off more often. Eye of Equilibrium was in fact a kickass power if for nothing else but the convenience of having detect magic and getting rough evaluations on people with a quick glance. Bond, the signature power is my biggest beef. I am not really saying it is too weak, in fact it is absolutely kickass given correct circumstances. However, to reach full potential bond requires both members of the pair being on the ball. Giving a competent duo some extra juice, leads them to be overkill with fairly low counts in the opposing side. I would say a bonded pair of two good players will just tear appart an average group of three. Against a group of less than 3, it just becomes silly. On the other hand, if one dude in the bond can handle his own, and the other is sort of new, the competent dude is often better on his own without having to worry about getting his bondmate killed, in any group vs. group fight. So bottom line is, bond is awesomly (over?)powerfull when given to an already powerfull duo, but a certain newbie killer when a more skilled player drags a newer one into sticky situations the other guy might not handle. I fear the cabal power will also lead to a lot of 2v1s, that might have otherwise been 1v1.

Goodbyes:
Nexus:
Mhyrin and Mixpixlix (sp?):
Healers are a wonderous thing. When I was ranking up, I noticed Nexus had two healers. I would've so much wanted to do a Hell trip, and I was fairly confident we would've made it pretty far if just one of you guys managed to hero and had the time. Le sigh... it wasn't meant to be. After Mixpixlix told me he was going to take a long rest, I was intending to try to lure/convince/grovel/dowhateverittakes to get you Mhyrin to log on just a bit more so I could've bitchranked those last 10 ranks.
Nanorab: Big thumbs up man, a few memorable log snippets follow:
Nanorab says 'Listen, I date! No need fight.'
Nanorab says 'I grrreat lover, is okay.'
A tiger's bite mauls Taelina.
Nanorab says to a tiger 'You grrrrreat!'
Nanorab says to Taelina 'And you sexy.'
And a personal favorite of mine, after pulling off something I never expected to succeed, this just always made me feel warm and fuzzy:
Nanorab says 'Nice of going!'
Dinkertot: You were absolutely great to have alongside for some proper ownage. I had thought of that combo some time ago, and when I saw you come up with it, I punched myself in the face. It hurt.
Mcgahee: Didn't see you much, but from what I saw/heard, tough as nails.
Ebiwen: Traveled with you a lot before leader, but you saw you less since. What happened?
Aindor: You seemed a bit new, but always ready get down and dirty.
Halamael: Druid bond powers were sooo sweet.
Bunch of others, but I wont try to memorise, since I'll just end up forgetting some. Put up a post, and I'll reply.

I can't everything now since it's 4.30 am and I'm tired. But all I got to say, each and every one of you made great sports (except Valryn, whose well deserved fate can be seen at http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=48y121j), and made me one happy basher once again. Thanks for the ride everyone, I will be back, but now is the time for some hardcore studying, to make up for the slacking.

Charging forward, elmeri hits Advanced Engineering Mathematics with enough force to send it sailing through the air!
elmeri's bash OPENS Advanced Engineering Mathematics!

Yep yep, time to roll up my sleeves and get to work.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Yeh shoulder greetin' bastid!, Trurkrag (Guest), 25-Nov-06 03:29 PM, #13
Reply There were a few times I suffered some hurt from teh wr..., elmeri_, 27-Nov-06 03:43 PM, #14
Reply you rocked.., Geranim (Guest), 19-Nov-06 08:18 PM, #5
Reply Thanks for the compliments!, elmeri_, 20-Nov-06 02:26 PM, #7
Reply Saw you around a lot, Seonex (Guest), 19-Nov-06 07:30 PM, #4
Reply Re: Nexus and good vs. evil, elmeri_, 20-Nov-06 02:38 PM, #8
     Reply Oh, and I forgot to say!, elmeri_, 20-Nov-06 02:44 PM, #10
          Reply ####.. and you know it, you bash/entwine whore. But we ..., Data (Guest), 20-Nov-06 08:15 PM, #12
Reply RE: I am sorry to anounce, but Eqithan has passed away., Tiatan, 19-Nov-06 10:01 AM, #3
Reply I loved the chats where people questioned Nexus philoso..., elmeri_, 20-Nov-06 02:25 PM, #6
Reply From my perspective, Rico, 19-Nov-06 12:32 AM, #2
Reply Bastard, I will strangle you..., elmeri_, 20-Nov-06 02:40 PM, #9
Reply Strong foe., Malic (Guest), 18-Nov-06 10:16 PM, #1
     Reply You were the only one person in my range I never even t..., elmeri_, 20-Nov-06 02:51 PM, #11

Trurkrag (Guest)Sat 25-Nov-06 03:29 PM

#52766, "Yeh shoulder greetin' bastid!"
In response to Reply #0

Bastid! CAn remember feeling utterly hopeless around you! A sword spec bash is darned hard to beat. I barely got a pulse of thirst at time, sometimes not even that. If I had spammed directions I'd just not even have them get through. Powerful legacy. Easily avoided, sadly, not for villagers. All I can say it was death coming so helples was worse then having your todger hair (individually) plucked out by a clumsy tweezer! Yeeeeowh. Good char. Come back soon.

Trukey-rag this thanks giving.

elmeri_Mon 27-Nov-06 03:43 PM
252 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#52870, "There were a few times I suffered some hurt from teh wr..."
In response to Reply #13

And I also seem to remember a pretty damn close one at the D. Bastard cranialled or pincered, and you broke my sword. I saw 800 hps fly by in a matter of few rounds.

Geranim (Guest)Sun 19-Nov-06 08:18 PM

#52636, "you rocked.."
In response to Reply #0

Wish I could have ran with you more but took me awhile to get into hero range... the couple of times we did bond, was nice having you with me.. even as a lower unhero ranger.. I felt better seeing you around, helped give me a little courage..

rp wise I though you were awesome, as its been said before playing a low iq cloud giant and sticking to it is not easy.

Thought you were a compentent char and now seeing the player behind it, I am not surprised at all..

Nexus wont be the same without you... maybe youll come back soon and play mage side if you havent already....

good luck with classes..

elmeri_Mon 20-Nov-06 02:26 PM
252 posts
#52651, "Thanks for the compliments!"
In response to Reply #5

Glad to have been an inspiration rather than an annoying cloud giant doofos.

Seonex (Guest)Sun 19-Nov-06 07:30 PM

#52633, "Saw you around a lot"
In response to Reply #0

Pity we never really did get to fight outside of one or two times. You looked like a good character from my perspective, though I will say that you seem to have a penchant for bashy bashies. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

The main reason we didn't interact so much is a point I wanted to open up: A Nexan killing a Scion and then grouping with another Scion a day later is perfectly okay RP on the part of the second Scion. But I just can't see a member of the Fortress going "Okay, you killed several people who I regard as family and have sworn to protect awhile ago, but that wasn't anything personal so I'll group with you and go grab some shinies or something." I always thought it would be piss-poor Fortress RP to completely ignore that sort of thing and join up with a Nexan who killed his friends and would kill them again given the right sort of reason. Care to comment on the Nexan side of things?

elmeri_Mon 20-Nov-06 02:38 PM
252 posts
#52652, "Re: Nexus and good vs. evil"
In response to Reply #4

I think Nexus charachters would be easier off tying these questionable friendship/mutual agreement relationships with evils than goodies. For a sterotype goodie, killing another goodie is a good way to get on the bad guy list. Ofcourse, there are exceptions to this. All that said, I don't really see why a maran should be hesitant to recieve help from Nexites though, as they are not evil though (as per the goodie gods, since afterall is Nexites were evil, marans could see a shiny (Red Aura) around them).
As Eqithan, I had this entirely different view on good and evil. Eqithan was not a judge of morality. To him doing good or evil deeds were indifferent, and they did not define someone in a lair. He believed that good and evil are just these two powers that do battle, and this battle must be in balance. So basicly this dark-elf who would be seeking for redemption, never did anything in his life but pick flowers and was in general a good guy, would be just as evil as anyone else, as long as there was a (Red Aura) around him. Only if that aura would seice to be there, he would no longer be a representative of the power of evil. Acting in a good or evil manner had little to do with it, and whenever confronted by questions regarding morality, Eqithan would just shrug at the question, without any answer.

elmeri_Mon 20-Nov-06 02:44 PM
252 posts
#52655, "Oh, and I forgot to say!"
In response to Reply #8

bashy bashy = looty looty
looty looty = happy happy joy joy!

I like keeping it simple. My ping times suck, so it's easier to spam than do fancy things and run around in circles. I swear the times I actually catch someone after an initial flee can be counted on one hand. However, I shall make a solemn vow that when I come back, my next charachter will not be using bash, entwine, or any combination of the previous two. Mayby.

Data (Guest)Mon 20-Nov-06 08:15 PM

#52660, "####.. and you know it, you bash/entwine whore. But we ..."
In response to Reply #10

n/t

TiatanSun 19-Nov-06 10:01 AM
Member since 29th Oct 2006
118 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#52626, "RE: I am sorry to anounce, but Eqithan has passed away."
In response to Reply #0

I had hoped our characters would've been able to talk more. Our first conversation had me wanting to debate the balance and how to reasonably execute its implementation. I've since talked to others about it, but I really liked some of Eqithan's responses and wanted to hear more. I understand the need to study, though, as I often have difficulty with it, myself. Good luck with your future.

"On ne fait pas de musique contre quelqu'un"

elmeri_Mon 20-Nov-06 02:25 PM
252 posts
#52650, "I loved the chats where people questioned Nexus philoso..."
In response to Reply #3

They also helped me solidify my concept of Nexus, instead of it being this vague sort of balancy thingy. I swear next time I roll a char, I'll start with a very simple concept, and let my charachter build from that. I seem to do way better when I do that, instead of trying something complicated. Also, letting a charachter shape out seems way more natural than picking a role at charachter generation and then keeping to it through different events.

RicoSun 19-Nov-06 12:32 AM
Member since 13th Oct 2006
40 posts
#52624, "From my perspective"
In response to Reply #0

Sizing up Eqithan, you pretend to stumble and sprawl into him.
Before he realizes what you have done, you slip your dagger under his ribcage.
Stepping back, you watch as Eqithan vainly tries to prevent his life blood from
running out of his chest.
Eqithan slips to the ground as blood gurgles out from his mouth.
Eqithan is DEAD!!
Eqithan's fingers are sliced from his dead body.
You have become better at assassinate!

*Keep it 100*

elmeri_Mon 20-Nov-06 02:40 PM
252 posts
#52653, "Bastard, I will strangle you..."
In response to Reply #2

unless my GPA goes up. In which case, I guess I got to thank you.

Malic (Guest)Sat 18-Nov-06 10:16 PM

#52623, "Strong foe."
In response to Reply #0

I think I saved quite a few people from the big white bash monster with my flyto victim ally, word techniques.

I thought you were pretty tough though. I cant really comment on your cabal and its philosophies yet...

There was a reason I strike most of you on sight. I dont think you ever fell but as the leader of the bands you kinda had a target on your back.

Much...much.... more when I am gone.

But for now, awesome job and enjoy your rest. The Balance has grown weaker with your passing.

elmeri_Mon 20-Nov-06 02:51 PM
252 posts
#52656, "You were the only one person in my range I never even t..."
In response to Reply #1

I couldn't beat the hyena. Whirl was not enough maledictions. Luckily, I wasn't in a huge risk of dying either, and I think you might not have tried as hard as you could, for that reason. An eagle out for you is a constant nuiscance, I'll give you that.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #52621 Previous topic | Next topic