Subject: "(AUTO) [None] Haamrl the Whisper, Anathema to the Empir..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #32818
Show all folders

Death_AngelMon 22-Nov-04 08:16 AM
Member since 27th Sep 2024
17186 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32818, "(AUTO) [None] Haamrl the Whisper, Anathema to the Empire"

Mon Nov 22 07:16:41 2004

At 11 o'clock PM, Day of the Moon, 14th of the Month of Futility
on the Theran calendar Haamrl perished, never to return.

Race:felar
Class:thief
Level:42
Alignment:Evil
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:None, None
Hours:112

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Haamrl (Guest)Mon 22-Nov-04 08:54 AM

#32819, "It was fun"
In response to Reply #0

Empire was fun. Thug thief was fun.

Unlike other thug thieves, I didn't use cheapshot to pk really. I liked messing around with skills like separate (against druids, for example, even though they usually beat me anyway using fireseeds, even when I had resist heat), grapple weapon, etc.

I think I was only really ever an annoyance to my enemies, but there was no enemy that I wouldn't go after.

The fun paled when I got taken out by a rager fortress combination (two fortress warriors, both maran, I think, with a lowbie mage fogging for them and a transmuter outside my pk doing whatever he was doing, plus a rager thief that knocked me out when they already had the codex before attacking the palace). In the ragers defense, after knocking me out, he didn't join in the attack and he did rob a fortress mage too. Then the lowbie sacced much of my very nice gear even though the fortress could have used it and he was able to carry it all. It wasn't much fun when I had the opposite combo which was two rager warriors that I was fighting, and a maran thief waiting for me to flee so he could jack me. Nor was it great when Lariya tanked the inners whilst ragers ganked some other imperial whose name I forget. In the end though, I went out on a sort of high note when a rager killed me without full looting me (that being Dremkal). I only had about 8 items of poor quality gear, but usually that gets sacced anyway.

Don't get me wrong. I ganged with this char. But then I'm not supposed to be one of Thera's greatest warriors or in any way virtuous. I robbed other Imperials (though not my own sect). I blackmailed other Imperials (including my own sect). I argued and refused to travel with certain imperials. If some of Empire like to play one big happy family, I wasn't one.

The problem, for me, was that lightforge renders one of my strongest tactics nearly useless, since I could never get them to run out of weapons. I couldn't stay hidden because when either fortress or ragers raided, they almost always brought a thief from the other enemy cabal if I was on, despite outnumbering me already, rendering weaponbutt blackjack pretty useless.

Nevertheless, it was fun.

My main friend in the cabal was Illiet. We both helped each other out quite a lot.

My main memory is watching an imperial sword spec loaded with uber gear at level 20 get the crap beaten out of him by a naked svirf hand spear (who I finished off after he'd beaten the sword spec).

Urog was a good Emperor. I won't say too much since he's active, but the rp was good, and again, the happy family thing was not there. Unfortunately, Urog, every time I compiled a "dossier" on someone in the cabal, they got anathema'd and deleted, so I didn't send them on to you. But generally, I found out where people lived, what their background was, what kind of thief they were etc., and what they thought about you know who.

Overall though, being in Empire, whilst fun, reminded me why I like being uncaballed. The one sided fights that seem to happen in cabal wars aren't really what I like. People won't raid 3 vs 1. They wait for 5 vs 1. (My excuse is that even 5 vs 1 Arrazn beat us all because of a lack of patience on the part of the 5.)

Arrazn was a bit of a nightmare for me. As a polespec, he wasn't a thief's best friend, but I could just about cope by taking his polearm. But by then I'd be low on hp. That was fine, until he became an h2h spec and I was fighting a deathblowing handspec, weaponless.

Thanks for the immteraction there Grurk. Quite how I was supposed to get what you wanted faster than I was getting it is beyond me, bearing in mind that I couldn't go underwater. When I decided I would have to enlist aid to do it, that, coupled with you plaguing me for sending a reply to you by accident, ended up getting me killed (whereupon you said something like "Seems your mistake cost you more than a couple of gold"). I would note, though, that whilst I like that as an experienced player, as a newbie that would probably have put me off the game.

Dzegef (Guest)Mon 22-Nov-04 02:15 PM

#32827, "RE: It was fun"
In response to Reply #1

It was nice to see you near, to walk with you, to defend and to hunt with you. Your playtime was almost the same as mine. But suddenly you disappeared without a word. Sad. Wish you luck with next char.

p.s. btw, why you got anathemaed?

Haamrl (Guest)Mon 22-Nov-04 06:17 PM

#32834, "I didn't get anathema'd in game"
In response to Reply #2

Imperials that auto-delete come up as anathemas.

Dzegef was fun to be around too. I remember that botched retrieval we did where you thought the rager was sung to sleep, whereas actually I only knocked him out (weaponbutt lasting much less time). So you attacked the massive giant again instead of singing to the rager, the rager woke up, killed you, and almost me too. heh. Other than that we did pretty well together, though I don't think I killed all that many people.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #32818 Previous topic | Next topic