Subject: "(DELETED) [HERALD] Graeterok the Master of Iron" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #24631
Show all folders

Death_AngelSun 15-Feb-04 10:48 PM
Member since 26th Sep 2024
17185 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#24631, "(DELETED) [HERALD] Graeterok the Master of Iron"

Sun Feb 15 21:44:04 2004

At 3 o'clock PM, Day of the Sun, 6th of the Month of the Frost Giant
on the Theran calendar Graeterok perished, never to return.

Race:svirfnebli
Class:warrior
Level:43
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:HERALD, the Heralds of the Eternal Star
Hours:123

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: (DELETED) [HERALD] Graeterok the Master of Iron, Graeterok (Guest), 15-Feb-04 11:22 PM, #1
     Reply RE: (DELETED) [HERALD] Graeterok the Master of Iron, Verv (Guest), 15-Feb-04 11:35 PM, #2
     Reply RE: (DELETED) [HERALD] Graeterok the Master of Iron, Tiynal (Guest), 15-Feb-04 11:37 PM, #3
     Reply RE: (DELETED) [HERALD] Graeterok the Master of Iron, Sastine (Guest), 16-Feb-04 03:02 AM, #4
     Reply My Favorite Herald, Graeterok (Guest), 16-Feb-04 06:20 PM, #8
     Reply shame you had to go, Baendra (Guest), 16-Feb-04 05:24 AM, #5
     Reply RE: shame you had to go, Graeterok (Guest), 16-Feb-04 06:15 PM, #7
     Reply Sad to lose you..., Optomkiptum (Guest), 16-Feb-04 08:20 AM, #6
     Reply RE: Sad to lose you..., Graeterok (Guest), 16-Feb-04 06:23 PM, #9
     Reply RE: (DELETED) [HERALD] Graeterok the Master of Iron, soucivi, 17-Feb-04 05:17 PM, #10
     Reply Quips, Whips, and Wicked Historians, Graeterok (Guest), 18-Feb-04 09:18 PM, #13
     Reply RE: (DELETED) [HERALD] Graeterok the Master of Iron, Bobbobimb (Guest), 18-Feb-04 07:42 PM, #11
          Reply RE: (DELETED) [HERALD] Graeterok the Master of Iron, Graeterok (Guest), 18-Feb-04 09:12 PM, #12

Graeterok (Guest)Sun 15-Feb-04 11:22 PM

#24632, "RE: (DELETED) [HERALD] Graeterok the Master of Iron"
In response to Reply #0

I didn't much want to, but I had to. Real life things will have me swamped and without a modem for a good long while.

I had an absolute blast with Graeterok. A lot of people were starting to play the svirfneblin race because of the stone skin thing they got, but my reason was because I saw the poll for the most fun playable races and svirfneblin was at the bottom of the list. I wanted to prove everyone wrong.

I got the idea of Graeterok as a character from an image I had in my head of a funny-looking goblinesque, disproportioned figure plodding lazily down the road with nothing but a sack with all his things in it and a great long warhammer. To me, that was just hilarious. From that, I just built on. He was small, annoying, and insisted he was a mountain. The character just sort of evolved from there. I never planned on being a Herald and just kinda went where the opportunities led me. I liked to smash things and I liked to break bones, and I didn't really care for picking sides in any one cabal. One of the major things I learned was from countless spars in the Inn. In a nice protected environment, I discovered what worked in battle and what didn't, so got to streamline everything that was essential. Being a mace spec, you'll last a lot longer against someone if you carry a shield. A lot of people think drumming is the best way to go, but with such inaccuracy even at 100%, and often doing only two hits at a time, it wasn't worth trying to PK someone with it. Boneshatter, backhand. Best way to go. Though I never really hunted anyone anyway, those that attacked me learned that I took them down a lot faster than they did me, even without stoneskin.

The Heralds were awesome. I loved every one of them. I'm sure I got on people's nerves more than a few times, but that was Graeterok's personality. I've never been a Herald before, but my first experience was definitely a good one. Also, I got to submit a couple of histories, which made me feel good on the inside.

This was also the furthest I've ever gotten with any of my characters. Learning was slowing at the end, and that was frustrating. I wanted to find out what legacies were all about. Maybe in a future character when I can devote time to the game again.

Oh well, with the goodbyes now.

- Heralds -
I love you guys to death. I got to join just after Soucivi ascended and didn't really get to experience the leadership that would have been nice. Also, I never really knew what to do as a Herald because the life of a Herald is typically pointless unless you're entertaining others. It made me feel like a bad member because I just sat around and did nothing in between learning. I'd get the occasionaly drink for someone, but I was more of a historian than a bartender.

Sastine - First on my list. You are the Herald that inspired me to join. Graeterok loved and respected you as a mentor, and was always willing to put himself in harm's way before seeing you die. Didn't get the chance to do that often because you're a tough cookie in battle as it is. I enjoyed your urging to know the history of the Svirfneblin race. It took me a couple hours to come up with the story, and then forever to relate it all to you. You were my favorite Theran by far as well.

Soucivi - I loved our razzing of everyone. Sastine was wicked, Qirinor was our plaything, Verv was hairy... so on and so forth. I enjoyed our interactions. Would have loved to get to know you better as a mortal though, because once I became a Herald, I never saw you up close except on rare occasion.

Qirinor - Heh. I liked your character, except for the fact that I got you killed enough times. I really hated that. I was just all about the smashing and didn't think anyone else would die if I didn't. The adventures we had were quite nice. Thanks for the whiskey-milk. Missed seeing you around as much lately.

Verv - My favorite kitty assassin. I loved the doll you gave me. I kept it in my sack for a good long time and pulled it out to hug it often. Then I gave it to Soucivi when she was down for having her body parts embalmed. You didn't seem too happy about that for some reason.

Bobbobimb - Out of all the people I sparred, I enjoyed beating you the most. By luck, surely, but it was nice nonetheless. You were one crazy bird, and I was disappointed when you heroed so fast. I wanted to travel with you more often. Ah well.

Rygovan - You were a fun character to be around, and always upbeat, and though I respected your reason for wanting to join the Heralds, I didn't think it was a valid reason. I hope the story you had to write inspired you to think outside the box a little. That was the most fun adventure I had, when my level 40 self, your 37th rank self, and Galvarino the 34th level bard bird went to take on Shavos and Crimbun. I'm surprised we survived Shavos like we did, but Crimbun handed us our rear ends. Heh. Only one way to end the story though.

Aeldain - Didn't know you very well, but you had me laughing quite a bit. You were hilarious, 'nuff said. You're probably the only one who could make me laugh harder than Soucivi.

Jalencia (the non-Herald Herald) - Always liked you, and I didn't really care that you lost all your spells. Wonder what happened to you though. No one told me.

Immortal Voice - Didn't care for you telling me to get off the bar when we were doing naked drunken karaoke. I figured you were half serious for some reason, so I quit... ::mutter:: ruin our fun...

- Others -

Villagers were the only ones who could beat the snot out of me on a regular basis. As such, they will always live in my heart... yeah. Though I won't go into the other cabals in quite as much detail, but here are a few honorable mentions.

Krodren - Liked you as a Villager. You were quite strong. We tore up the battlefield pretty well. Thanks for returning some of my things after I stupidly followed some mage into attacking Rahno at the village outer guardian. Pretty stupid, but it was nice smashing things. I think I drummed Rahno pretty good and killed Dede before I fell. There were five other Villagers surrounding me (no clue where the mage went) in no time. Fun to see how long I was going to last.

Jarshalax - Never really liked you for your repeated attempts at killing Jalencia. Told you to come back and spar me when you were near my rank. You handed me mine, for certain.

Alegg - The elf who made me stop attacking other elves. I enjoyed our run in Barovia. You shot up to hero in record time and left me in the dust. Jarshalax sacraficed that medallion you gave me not five minutes later when I died in a spar against Galin.

If I forgot anyone, just remind me. Too many people I annoyed, too many people to thank, too much to remember. Until next time, everyone.

P.S. As a note, Svirfnebli should have their experience modifier increased from 250. They are far too powerful now with stone skin to be allowed to attack people so beneath them. Perhaps 350 would suffice.

Verv (Guest)Sun 15-Feb-04 11:35 PM

#24633, "RE: (DELETED) [HERALD] Graeterok the Master of Iron"
In response to Reply #1

Rather bites that Mount Graeterok had to go, but you were tons of fun. I remember I gave up trying to convince you that you weren't a mountain almost instantly. Anyway, I thought you had a great character, great RP. Hope to see more from you sometime.

Tiynal (Guest)Sun 15-Feb-04 11:37 PM

#24634, "RE: (DELETED) [HERALD] Graeterok the Master of Iron"
In response to Reply #1

BAH! I loved our exploring underwater, fun stuff, yes? Oh well, you forgot, damn you mountain! good luck on the next.

Sastine (Guest)Mon 16-Feb-04 03:02 AM

#24638, "RE: (DELETED) [HERALD] Graeterok the Master of Iron"
In response to Reply #1

Oy, I am sad to see you go, but I certainly understand. I really respected that you came to me and let me know before just up and leaving. You were a strong Herald (Sastine may be a barmaid at heart, but that is not the path of all Heralds, thank the gods) and Sastine's closest friend since Soucivi. You made a huge impact on Sastine, and gave her a soft spot for Svirfnebli in the process.
Good luck with whatever you are doing

Graeterok (Guest)Mon 16-Feb-04 06:20 PM

#24661, "My Favorite Herald"
In response to Reply #4

I ALWAYS loved adventuring with you, even when we couldn't group because of the gap between us. Ever since the night of telling you the history of the svirfneblin, you were my favorite Herald. Before that, I probably couldn't have told the difference between everyone. I know in the future, I'll walk into the bar as some reincarnated figure and see you around, but it will never be the same. There are certain players that have chemistry together, and we seemed to play off each other well with the mentor/student angle. Perhaps we'll meet as future characters and be oath brothers, or best friend archrivals or something. Would be nice indeed.

I love the challenge of a particular character. I wasn't just out to make a svirfneblin PK monster, but a completely three-dimensional character with a unique personality. I think one of my next couple of characters, though, will tackle the challenge of destroying a cabal. Heh... like I said, challenge.

Feel free to e-mail me sometime if you ever wish to spitball any ideas or whatever. Friedmansisevil@yahoo.com

Baendra (Guest)Mon 16-Feb-04 05:24 AM

#24640, "shame you had to go"
In response to Reply #1

I liked Graeterok. Don't know if you remember but we travelled in Organia once, and a certain conjurer was expressing his dissatisfaction with two cabals, which happened to be the two we were in. Was pretty funny when you told him to shove it and stop whining when he called the heralds a waste of time. ooc, I was laughing my head off at that point, admiring the fact you took a stand where whether you'd win or lose probably would come down to who I sided with, but praying it didn't break up the ranking group which had taken a while to assemble. ic, I took a neutral stance on it at that stage for reasons of role. Was pretty bad ic the way he betrayed you after we split up, but it does seem to fit his rp (i.e. you angered him so he killed you), so it's all good as far as I can tell.

I was hoping we could travel again sometime. You seemed like someone who could be depended upon to act predictably*, which is largely what Baendra looks for in allies.

* predictability only being a good thing when I can't predict you are about to do something stupid. I seem to have been pretty fortunate so far in that.

Graeterok (Guest)Mon 16-Feb-04 06:15 PM

#24660, "RE: shame you had to go"
In response to Reply #5

Hmm... I don't particularly recall that. You sure it wasn't Rygovan or Qirinor that you traveled with? I've been betrayed only twice, and once was that mad dwarf... er.. Kranarg, I think. The other time, I don't remember who it was, but I beat the snot out of them. And I don't think I ever went to Organia with you.

However, we did travel a few times, and I liked that you called everyone 'sir'. It was very interesting. I wanted to travel more often with you, but couldn't always find the time or the group.

Optomkiptum (Guest)Mon 16-Feb-04 08:20 AM

#24642, "Sad to lose you..."
In response to Reply #1

Nice to have a svirfnebli with a simimlar way to speak as I have. Was going to ask Verv to make a doll of you so I could have a small svirfnebli doll to be proud off. Guess its back to talking to svirf's that don't realise they're the size of a fence post. *sigh*

Optomkiptum

Graeterok (Guest)Mon 16-Feb-04 06:23 PM

#24662, "RE: Sad to lose you..."
In response to Reply #6

Heh, I loved interacting with you because you always made me laugh with your demands. Being small isn't easy, especially when you try to act bigger than your leggings can hold. You were always demanding, and I was always insisting what a mountain I was. The rest of the world could kiss our small svirfneblin behinds.

souciviTue 17-Feb-04 05:17 PM
Member since 03rd Feb 2004
16 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#24685, "RE: (DELETED) [HERALD] Graeterok the Master of Iron"
In response to Reply #1

Well, Mountain.
In my mind, you made a wonderful Herald. I could wish for none better, and I feel you should be rightfully proud of your accomplishments. To put it in perspective, you had heart and shared it with others. Good luck. -Soucivi

soucivi@carrionfields.com

Soucivi Daneloth
soucivi@carrionfields.com

Graeterok (Guest)Wed 18-Feb-04 09:18 PM

#24741, "Quips, Whips, and Wicked Historians"
In response to Reply #10

Loved quipping with you. Between the two of us, we mercilessly picked on every Herald. I had an absolute blast just sitting there playing off of what you gave me and vice versa. Hope I didn't annoy you too much.

Out of all the avatars I've seen in different cabals, you seemed the most interactive, and I really appreciate that. Got kinda bored when the last thing you gave Graeterok to do was watch over Qirinor and make sure he didn't die too many more times. Heh. The Inn history was a little bland, though, I thought. Of course, I made it all up as I sent it to you because I had virtually no notes to go on. Sastine's idea of it burning down was about the only thing I incorporated into it. Oh well. Maybe someone will polish it up or something and it'll eventually get put in the Lyceum. Thanks for all the fond memories! This has been about the only cabal I've been in where everyone was close-knit and well roleplayed. A rarity in the lands these days.

Bobbobimb (Guest)Wed 18-Feb-04 07:42 PM

#24734, "RE: (DELETED) [HERALD] Graeterok the Master of Iron"
In response to Reply #1

You were one crazy little guy. I was always so confused
when you kept on referring to yourself as "The Mountain"
and I'll agree with you that when you beat me in the few
spars you won, it was pure luck. Hell, it's my first bird
and I don't know how to play him either, so it was in its
own way nice and even.
Keeping with my crazy bird sporadicness, I resigned from
the Heralds right before you left (Hence my talking with
Sastine in the Lyceum) but I agree, it would have been
more fun if I didn't Hero so fast. Well, helps to have
friends as good as you (In spars) and Mairra. Wish I
had taken you learning a bit more, it'd have been fun.

Graeterok (Guest)Wed 18-Feb-04 09:12 PM

#24739, "RE: (DELETED) [HERALD] Graeterok the Master of Iron"
In response to Reply #11

Heh. Traveling with you was fun, and I forget, but were you there to help create the drunken poem between four people that one night? That was a blast. Then you got summoned away or something and everyone sobered up.

My next character is... interesting... I started one just to let the character age a little bit, as I'll let this be known in the role. Typical roles are not for me. Graeterok was of orderly ethos, but only because he enforced the Law of the Stone. I never went into great detail what it was because it was supposed to be unknown to outsiders. I never became outlawed because I could never find a good reason to kill someone. So, the laws of man didn't really apply, but he was orderly in the eyes of his own law. ... I dunno, weird stuff.

There was this game I used to play back in the day called Terris (which, in my opinion, is child's play compared to Carrion Fields) that allowed any class to become any profession. I.E. An ogre berserker could join the rogue's guild and learn to be a thief, albeit not a very effective one, and an elven wizard could join the knight's guild. I always loved this kind of diversity allowed. So, on the basis of that game, I strive to create unique characters. I've never rolled a giant battlerager, or a wood-elven ranger in the Sylvan cabal. I can only hope that as a svirfneblin warrior who wanted to become a Herald historian left an impact on others to try to break the norm of the game. Thanks for all the great times, Bob. You were my favorite bird.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #24631 Previous topic | Next topic