Subject: "(DELETED) [OUTLANDER] Alaion the Weaver of the Elements" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #119979
Show all folders

Death_AngelMon 31-Mar-14 05:32 AM
Member since 26th Sep 2024
17185 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#119979, "(DELETED) [OUTLANDER] Alaion the Weaver of the Elements"

Mon Mar 31 05:30:44 2014

At 12 o'clock AM, Day of the Bull, 8th of the Month of the Long Shadows
on the Theran calendar Alaion perished, never to return.

Race:elf
Class:invoker
Level:51
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:OUTLANDER, the Outlanders of Thar-Eris
Hours:215

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply So I see, incognito, 02-May-14 12:16 PM, #10
Reply A word about playing this character, josarn, 03-Apr-14 12:33 PM, #1
     Reply RE: A word about playing this character, Yegrut (Anonymous), 03-Apr-14 01:50 PM, #2
     Reply I hear you, Alaion (Anonymous), 03-Apr-14 02:21 PM, #3
          Reply We were all pked constantly while we initially learned ..., laxman, 03-Apr-14 03:24 PM, #4
          Reply Learning., Tsunami, 03-Apr-14 03:27 PM, #5
          Reply My advice, incognito, 03-Apr-14 04:13 PM, #6
     Reply Having played one invoker hero, Anondyomous (Anonymous), 03-Apr-14 07:15 PM, #7
     Reply RE: A word about playing this character, josarn, 04-Apr-14 12:25 AM, #8
     Reply A couple of things., Mendos, 05-Apr-14 11:43 AM, #9

incognitoFri 02-May-14 12:16 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#120542, "So I see"
In response to Reply #0

From the pbf that this character's align got bumped from 1000(good) to 750(good).

Does this impact at all or not until it becomes (neutral)? Or would it impact for, say, paladins and conjies but not invokers?

josarnThu 03-Apr-14 12:33 PM
Member since 03rd May 2013
7 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#120065, "A word about playing this character"
In response to Reply #0

I don't usually write on the forums but I have been reading more and more and I kind of like the uses you people give to the battlefield like thanking and/or ranting about your experiences.
I enjoy playing CF sooooo much and I want to thank each and every character I have met while playing this character, the people that play when I do are what makes CF so damn great.
I dont feel my RP is good maybe because I am still trying to make sense about what makes an invoker a successful one (what I mean by this is one that kills more than dies).
The reason I deleted is that I was feeling that it will be easier for me to play evil (not the badass kind of evil but a sore loser kind of character)

See you around!

Yegrut (Anonymous)Thu 03-Apr-14 01:50 PM
Charter member
#120070, "RE: A word about playing this character"
In response to Reply #1

Hey there,

Well I could tell IC that you were new to the game. If I were you I would go neutral not evil as it will expose you to a wider variety of players. I would also suggest either joining a cabal that is explore-heavy like Heralds or simply being a support class so everyone wants you to go exploring with them.

Going evil will mean alot of people will be trying to kill you and in that situation you may pick up some knowledge of strategy/tactics but truly the best knowledge to have down the line (so you don't take forever getting places LOL) is area knowledge.

Knowing where things are that can help you, being able to navigate damn near blind, knowing how to regear (by knowing where gear is) is far more valuable imho in the long run than knowing how to fight right off the bat because unless you go Villager you will need to have area knowledge to be fully effective in most situations.

Personally if I was you I'd go bard as it will give you a very well rounded set of skills that ;lend themselves well to playing the supporting role as well as being able to hold your own in solo and group fights.

Wood elf bard back to Outlanders youngin! There you go! LOL

GLWYN

Alaion (Anonymous)Thu 03-Apr-14 02:21 PM
Charter member
#120072, "I hear you"
In response to Reply #2

Thank you for the advice. I find it challenging to try to acquire the knowledge that some of you guys seem have had for years while trying to avoid being pked constantly. One has to be very thick headed to never give up.

laxmanThu 03-Apr-14 03:24 PM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#120075, "We were all pked constantly while we initially learned ..."
In response to Reply #3

Although to be fair back then the portion of the playerbase still learning was astronomically higher so there was more opportunities to suceed on people even less knowledgeable than you.

People getting attacked in galadon and not knowing how to get to another city was a common thing at one point in time. There was even a pretty good chunk of time where many thought bash was a useless skill because it did no damage

TsunamiThu 03-Apr-14 03:27 PM
Member since 25th Mar 2008
1509 posts
#120076, "Learning."
In response to Reply #3

Start at level 5. Use "area 5" command. Go to every area with the max level listed at 5 and explore it. Thoroughly. Do the same every 5 levels. 10, 15, 20. Pick a class that can do something useful by itself (basically anything except a full mage.) Bard, warrior, ranger, thief, assassin are all easy picks. Double points if you get lore at 100% (bard, gnome, svirf) or the scroll skill (identify scrolls are cheap in Galadon).

Sounds like a daunting task, but if you have any interest in area lore, secret knowledge, or quests... You'll pick up a large store of knowledge.

You'll learn lots of things. Preps, gear, area connections, game lore, quests... Quests especially are nice to know if you intend to play mages since, imo, it's tough to rank a mage solo without them.

incognitoThu 03-Apr-14 04:13 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#120078, "My advice"
In response to Reply #3

Focus on learning a few areas well. Then you can at least run around within those areas. Also, you might even be able to run AT someone that isn't ready for you. After a while, you'll learn which classes that gives you a good chance to kill.

Also, focus on learning to get from your recall point to a good hiding place. Somewhere not that travelled, and not too close to your recall point.

Finally, remember getting killed is part of the learning process, provided you genuinely look to understand how they killed you rather than just think ******.

Anondyomous (Anonymous)Thu 03-Apr-14 07:15 PM
Charter member
#120079, "Having played one invoker hero"
In response to Reply #1

I can feel your pain in not getting many kills as an invoker, despite all the weapons at your disposal. Being an elf mage makes it even tougher, since you are going to be fragile even with total pimp gear. Also, as an elf your pk range is bad too, so you miss out on the perks of surprise with improved invis because there are so few greater than 5+ ranks below you that won't see you coming. Personally I probably wouldn't mess around with an elf/drow mage unless going transmuter since the sneak/mana gives you such an advantage there (and maybe conjurer but I've never played one so can't say myself and would start with a halfie to learn the class regardless).

I'd suggest playing something that has a good lag ability, in addition to what else what suggested (something good for exploring). The problem with invokers is there aren't a lot of options to lag your enemy to seal the fight, so if you blast the hell out of them and take advantage of vulnerabilities then they run. Success with the class seems to come from knowing when/where to strike, and also knowing how to set a good trap. That takes a lot of practice and I admittedly never mastered it myself.

I'd agree with what others said about playing evil--it can be fun but maybe not your best bet for learning. If you really want to taste a variety of pk and run with some good folks to learn, I'd suggest Nexus. Lots of ways you can work on your RP there too.

Also, keep trying different classes. It takes a long time, but after working through about 1/3 of them to hero I learned a lot more about how to win pk than I ever would have trying to completely master a single class. You really need to know your enemies options and how they approach a fight to be able to beat them consistently. This also helps you learn which fights are going to be suicide (all of which can change a lot through the ranks up to hero).

josarnFri 04-Apr-14 12:25 AM
Member since 03rd May 2013
7 posts
#120084, "RE: A word about playing this character"
In response to Reply #1

Thank you all for your tips, lots of stuff to try out. One thing is clear I will be enjoying CF for many years to come!

MendosSat 05-Apr-14 11:43 AM
Member since 16th Oct 2013
180 posts
#120120, "A couple of things."
In response to Reply #1

Firstly, welcome to CF and congrats on getting as far as you did. To make that kind of progress as a new player isn't easy. I also could tell based on a few things that you were relatively new.

RP will come with time. It's a weird kind of concept, because I guess RP tends to mostly be social conventions. I think you slipped up a couple of times RP wise without realizing and got stung a little for it, but that's part of the process of learning.

I apologize if I came across as harsh toward the end of that cabal channel back and forth. I wanted to make it clear that the responsibility for joining forces with an evil (even through a neutral bridge) lies with you as a good aligned character. For an evil character it is great roleplay to use/manipulate/corrupt a goodie, but for a goodie it is a pretty bad place to be.

Anyway, good luck with your next. Thanks for trying Outlander and keep chipping away at the game. You'll be much more comfortable with it in no time.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #119979 Previous topic | Next topic