Subject: "(DELETED) [BATTLE] Vasliin "Doc" Osseoset the Legend of..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #110473
Show all folders

Death_AngelTue 21-Aug-12 03:20 PM
Member since 29th Sep 2024
17191 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#110473, "(DELETED) [BATTLE] Vasliin "Doc" Osseoset the Legend of the Battlefield"

Tue Aug 21 13:18:33 2012

At 3 o'clock AM, Day of the Sun, 34th of the Month of the Dragon
on the Theran calendar Vasliin perished, never to return.

Race:svirfnebli
Class:warrior
Level:51
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:BATTLE, the BattleRagers, Haters of Magic
Hours:172

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Just a few goodbyes., Minyar, 21-Aug-12 03:34 PM, #1
     Reply Sorry I suppose, Salyeris (Anonymous), 21-Aug-12 04:46 PM, #2
     Reply Yeah but early Salyeris hours = 3-5 hours a day, curren..., Lhydia, 21-Aug-12 06:02 PM, #3
     Reply I had thought about doing this., Minyar, 21-Aug-12 07:25 PM, #8
     Reply FWIW I had 6 straight logins recently where I saw Salye..., TMNS, 21-Aug-12 10:46 PM, #10
     Reply Are you on 24-7 to be able to give this statement legit..., Cearnaigh, 22-Aug-12 07:40 PM, #19
     Reply Surprised Minyar doesn't know that..., TMNS, 21-Aug-12 10:45 PM, #9
     Reply Really, Ackor (Anonymous), 21-Aug-12 06:22 PM, #4
     Reply I knew what her legacies were, I did ask., Minyar, 21-Aug-12 07:21 PM, #7
     Reply Hmm, Rayihn, 21-Aug-12 06:42 PM, #5
     Reply I agree and disagree., Minyar, 21-Aug-12 07:18 PM, #6
     Reply RE: Just a few goodbyes., Kelarin, 22-Aug-12 05:56 AM, #11
     Reply ahahah - enemies again Vasaline my slippery little svir..., Abernyte, 22-Aug-12 09:38 AM, #12
     Reply Here they are., Minyar, 22-Aug-12 03:29 PM, #14
          Reply Set Fracture is a badass reward, in my opinion., Homard, 22-Aug-12 03:43 PM, #15
          Reply As Daevryn says "Your mileage may vary", Minyar, 22-Aug-12 04:24 PM, #16
               Reply RE: As Daevryn says , Daevryn, 22-Aug-12 07:24 PM, #18
                    Reply Regardless, he's a village defender. He's supposed to d..., Lhydia, 22-Aug-12 09:09 PM, #22
                    Reply I already was doing just fine as a defender, healing an..., Minyar, 22-Aug-12 11:14 PM, #23
                    Reply I'm not sure why I bother., Minyar, 22-Aug-12 11:30 PM, #26
                         Reply RE: I'm not sure why I bother., Daevryn, 23-Aug-12 06:48 AM, #28
                              Reply I think the role just ran itself out., DurNominator, 23-Aug-12 07:57 AM, #29
                              Reply I'm not angry. I was disappointed. nt, Minyar, 23-Aug-12 12:16 PM, #31
          Reply Personally, I think that's a badass reward., TMNS, 22-Aug-12 06:02 PM, #17
          Reply Setfracture on Woldrun, Minyar, 22-Aug-12 11:20 PM, #25
               Reply RE: Setfracture on Woldrun, Twist, 23-Aug-12 09:17 AM, #30
                    Reply Yes, pretty much exactly right, , Minyar, 23-Aug-12 12:18 PM, #32
          Reply So..., Amaranthe, 22-Aug-12 09:10 PM, #20
          Reply Sure..., Minyar, 22-Aug-12 11:18 PM, #24
          Reply Uh, those are badass village defender rewards dude, you..., Lhydia, 22-Aug-12 09:08 PM, #21
               Reply I can have any reason I want to delete., Minyar, 22-Aug-12 11:49 PM, #27
     Reply Now some my BFF's are gone :(, Cainargen (Anonymous), 22-Aug-12 02:40 PM, #13

MinyarTue 21-Aug-12 03:34 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
504 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#110474, "Just a few goodbyes."
In response to Reply #0

Rayihn - I want to say thank you for the fun and interaction. I was nearly to that 1 million coppers but other things with our interactions and my own desire for the character just killed it for me. I didn't know how your Imm person was with Rayihn and I felt like I had to fit some mold that all the others I saw were in. It didn't make me feel comfortable and so the more I got into it the less I wanted to do it. Mabe I should have rped a change of heart over to Wiysydan, but i didn't want to do that to the character of Rayihn.

Cainargen - Sorry bud, I know we had other things to explore and Vasliin turned out to be a pretty good exploring character. Maybe you can get another defender trained up and take him around. Show him what I showed you and pass some of that knowledge on. I think you know I was growing frustrated with the cabal in general and with the character overall.

Kelarin - Great Rp, fun guy. I'm pretty sure you are the reason Battle actually has active members, I hope the rest of your characters life is fun.

Salyeris - Seriously, please play more or step aside. You have a great character, its a shame you don't show it more. It just felt to me like you were in "autopilot mode" and just doing the required logins until you age die.

Time for another break from CF I think, aside from a trash character here or there. I'm not going to put all the effort into writing a good role anymore.

See you around the fields perhaps.

Salyeris (Anonymous)Tue 21-Aug-12 04:46 PM
Charter member
#110475, "Sorry I suppose"
In response to Reply #1

I don't announce if I'm not going to be around for a while or won't have as much time, but I think I am around enough, maybe just not at all the same times as others. I play when I have the time to focus on it since it's no good to log in to play when you can't be there 100%.

There are IC reasons she is like she is now which is a lot different than she used to be, so I'm sorry you didn't get to be around more when she was younger as maybe you would not think she was on "autopilot".

LhydiaTue 21-Aug-12 06:02 PM
2390 posts
#110476, "Yeah but early Salyeris hours = 3-5 hours a day, curren..."
In response to Reply #2

gr

MinyarTue 21-Aug-12 07:25 PM
504 posts
#110481, "I had thought about doing this."
In response to Reply #3

Then I decided it wouldn't be fair to anyone if I played that way and only logged in for a few hours a week until she deleted or was gone. So, along with other frustrations I said, screw it, I'm done.

TMNSTue 21-Aug-12 10:46 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#110485, "FWIW I had 6 straight logins recently where I saw Salye..."
In response to Reply #8

And I hardly ever get the time to play.

CearnaighWed 22-Aug-12 07:40 PM
Member since 22nd Aug 2012
2 posts
#110523, "Are you on 24-7 to be able to give this statement legit..."
In response to Reply #3

Also, the boards are not the place for this.

TMNSTue 21-Aug-12 10:45 PM
2670 posts
#110484, "Surprised Minyar doesn't know that..."
In response to Reply #2

...it's the curse of being a cabal leader. The first 200 or so hours are great then things become, as you say, "auto-pilot".

It's really the fantastic, memorable characters that constantly keep it fresh and interesting.

Ackor (Anonymous)Tue 21-Aug-12 06:22 PM
Charter member
#110477, "Really"
In response to Reply #1

The reason why you said you left on DIO's just blew my mind. You won the first duel and lost the second by greater margins. But do you know why? If you had taken 2 seconds to ask the drow what her legacies were you would know why.

I was hoping to finally get time to explore with you and then you say "look in the pit" and I find out five minutes later you deleted. WTF.

Thanks for the daggers?

MinyarTue 21-Aug-12 07:21 PM
504 posts
#110480, "I knew what her legacies were, I did ask."
In response to Reply #4

That much disparity from one fight to the next is dumb and the fact that everything got evaded is even more stupid. Its ok. I don't expect people to look at it from my perspective.

RayihnTue 21-Aug-12 06:42 PM
Member since 08th Oct 2006
1147 posts
#110478, "Hmm"
In response to Reply #1

Your reason for deleting is kinda...meh. But I'm sure you know what that kind of attitude looks like to those who would be tickled pink by any reward and struggle to get them.

As for fitting yourself into a mold that others seem to be in right now...I think that's pretty silly. Rayihn has followers right now ranging from crazy evil to pretty prim acolyte and all walks of life in between. I really, above all, when I RP with people try to be reactive instead of force what I want on them. I try to place general concepts out there, say what Rayihn what might think on them, and give you a chance to respond on how you view them. Further, I try to customize the experience based on what people ask me for. Maybe I failed here, but I thought we were doing good healing things based on what I thought was the fun poultice quest (JFGI herbal remedies, yo!) and your quest to update the orphanage. What I was asking for beyond that that made you think you needed to be something else, I'm not really sure.

But you know, whatever. Can't win them all, and I know we have had better experiences in the past. Come back and play again when you're less...hm. Upsettable I guess. Taking a different, more positive attitude to the (I think, all good) things that happened to this character would have gone a long ways.

MinyarTue 21-Aug-12 07:18 PM
504 posts
#110479, "I agree and disagree."
In response to Reply #5

I had prepared a long discussion about my thoughts on the role contest, I will just say that I was disappointed at the outcome and that it combined with the village things were the beginning of the end. I'm sorry that others struggle to write a good role. I have in fact, and will give anyone advice about writing a good role, but that doesn't mean I can make them do it.

Heck, maybe I should start a business and charge five bucks to write a good role and if it wins or gets 2k exp I should put some kind of royalties into it. Heck...people do it on WOW, maybe thats what I should do. It is actually something I love about CF. Coming up with a fun backstory and putting it into action.

I really appreciated the fun things yhou and I were doing, I'm sorry you aren't seeing that in my goodbye, but I really was enjoying that part, but I didn't want to keep doing the giggly cuddly whatever guy. Maybe I should have rped my frustration out and turned bitter and away, but again, meh, the character was done for me today when I realized how frustrated I was at the outcome of a duel.

KelarinWed 22-Aug-12 05:56 AM
Member since 29th May 2012
23 posts
#110486, "RE: Just a few goodbyes."
In response to Reply #1

Sorry things didn't work out for you. Doc was a really strong and well thought out character. Don't stay away too long!

AbernyteWed 22-Aug-12 09:38 AM
975 posts
#110487, "ahahah - enemies again Vasaline my slippery little svir..."
In response to Reply #1

Could never find you when I wanted to and then you would turn up at crap times when I was fleeing someone, trying to log out or whatever else. What did you get for your RC win? If you don't want to post it, message me on FB.

MinyarWed 22-Aug-12 03:29 PM
504 posts
#110491, "Here they are."
In response to Reply #12

I'm not going to make any comments about my feelings.

Skill: Set Fracture
Edges: Fast Healing, Combat Statistician, Field Medic (battle edge)

I belive this was it as well as a restring of my title from Vasliin Osseoset the Legend of the Battlefield, Doc of the Village to Vasliin "Doc" Osseoset the Legend of the Battlefield.

HomardWed 22-Aug-12 03:43 PM
Member since 10th Apr 2010
959 posts
#110493, "Set Fracture is a badass reward, in my opinion."
In response to Reply #14

And Field Medic isn't to shabby either.

All in all, I think those are pretty good rewards, and probably better on the whole than the legacy you'd be likely to get if you had gotten a legacy.

Remember, RC rewards legacies are never Maelstrom or Gates of the Forge, but usually more low-key ones like Fires or Riddle.

These edges are definitely on par with getting Fires, as far as I'm concerned.

MinyarWed 22-Aug-12 04:24 PM
504 posts
#110501, "As Daevryn says "Your mileage may vary""
In response to Reply #15

I don't see setfracture on a hand spec a great big deal. Especially when I mainly fight mages and such with no bone breaking abilities, other than the occasional ram. Yep, would be nice against the Abolisher, but really, how often am I fighting that, and...as a hand spec, who cares?

DaevrynWed 22-Aug-12 07:24 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#110522, "RE: As Daevryn says "
In response to Reply #16

I guess my take on your character was more that he was supposed to be this super medic and less that he was supposed to be Rambo.

Which... assuming I didn't totally misread you, isn't that a pretty cool reward for that concept?

LhydiaWed 22-Aug-12 09:09 PM
2390 posts
#110527, "Regardless, he's a village defender. He's supposed to d..."
In response to Reply #18

gr

MinyarWed 22-Aug-12 11:14 PM
504 posts
#110532, "I already was doing just fine as a defender, healing an..."
In response to Reply #22

Sorry for wanting to stand up for myself a little bit better and add more than just bandages to the village.

MinyarWed 22-Aug-12 11:30 PM
504 posts
#110535, "I'm not sure why I bother."
In response to Reply #18

to post anything contrary to what is done. It wasn't what I expected, I would have loved a Vanguard's Desire over all of the others or something else of that nature that nobody uses. So taht disappointment, yes, my damn opinion, coupled with my view of what happened with the commander just soured the character for me.

It is what I felt, sorry.

DaevrynThu 23-Aug-12 06:48 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#110537, "RE: I'm not sure why I bother."
In response to Reply #26

You're entitled to your opinion, but if your character is all about X and you get a reward that's great for X I'm just not sure how you could feel justifiably angry at anyone but yourself if it turns out that it's not as much fun as you hoped.

DurNominatorThu 23-Aug-12 07:51 AM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#110540, "I think the role just ran itself out."
In response to Reply #28
Edited on Thu 23-Aug-12 07:57 AM

It was fun for him in the beginning, but eventually it stopped being fun and he deleted. The role reward not being as fun for him as he had hoped is a fairly minor thing in the big picture. Thus, it wasn't anyone's fault specifically that he deleted. The character just had ran its course.

MinyarThu 23-Aug-12 12:16 PM
504 posts
#110557, "I'm not angry. I was disappointed. nt"
In response to Reply #28

nt

TMNSWed 22-Aug-12 06:02 PM
2670 posts
#110513, "Personally, I think that's a badass reward."
In response to Reply #14

I mean ####, people bitched about Woldrun getting setfracture.

And field medic is IMM only.

Fast Healing and Combat Statistician were the cosmetic rewards.

MinyarWed 22-Aug-12 11:20 PM
504 posts
#110534, "Setfracture on Woldrun"
In response to Reply #17

Would have been huge, because he was an axe spec and polearm? FIeld Medic, I didn't notice much difference honestly, maybe 20 more hp or so. For something that you can only do every two ticks, doesn't make that much of a difference imo. Never noticed it do anything extra with poultices. I failed to poultice scourge eight times in a row on myself. Two later I healed it on someone else, that seemed about the same as before.

TwistThu 23-Aug-12 09:17 AM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#110548, "RE: Setfracture on Woldrun"
In response to Reply #25

>Would have been huge, because he was an axe spec and polearm?
> FIeld Medic, I didn't notice much difference honestly, maybe
>20 more hp or so. For something that you can only do every two
>ticks, doesn't make that much of a difference imo. Never
>noticed it do anything extra with poultices. I failed to
>poultice scourge eight times in a row on myself. Two later I
>healed it on someone else, that seemed about the same as
>before.

Sword/HTH.

Setfracture was huge. HUGE. Combined with all of the other rewards, it made Woldrun a beast. Granted those rewards came over the course of 600-ish hours (I forget) but Woldrun was an immensely-rewarded character.

I've been in your situation before, where I've *won* a RC and received an Immreward that was far less than what I was hoping for. Twice that I can think of. And it can cast a shadow on the character for a bit. In one case, I couldn't get past the disappointment and the character seemed to have run its course, so it was time to delete. In the other case, I shrugged it off because the character was very successful with/without the reward and continued to be, so the disappointment ended up being only a speedbump.

It is what it is. You weren't enjoying the character, you had feelings on your RC reward. Whether those feelings are justified or not (my disappointments really weren't justified, FWIW...a reward is a reward, right?), you still felt them, and they helped make a character less playable for you.

Unfortunately I think you (and others) have let this thread turn into a thread that says you deleted because you didn't like your RC rewards, which doesn't really seem to be the case. It seemed more like you're saying that the interest was kind of already waning, and if you had liked your RC rewards more, the interest might have been resurgent. I can definitely empathize with this.

Good luck with your next, at any rate!

MinyarThu 23-Aug-12 12:18 PM
504 posts
#110558, "Yes, pretty much exactly right, "
In response to Reply #30

I don't have a perfect memory about this, but I said it was a factor, and that the state of battle leadership was another. Those things were the final straws.

AmarantheWed 22-Aug-12 08:36 PM
Member since 17th Mar 2003
536 posts
#110525, "So..."
In response to Reply #14
Edited on Wed 22-Aug-12 09:10 PM

What else did you expect, given your role?

I'd also like to add, here, that just because you win a role contest doesn't mean you'll never get anything ever again for a well-played character.

This is to say nothing of the fact that (if I recall) Rayihn had also given you a nice imm-only edge for the role/roleplaying.

MinyarWed 22-Aug-12 11:18 PM
504 posts
#110533, "Sure..."
In response to Reply #20

Set fracture went with my role, so did field medic.

I guess I had hoped that you had noticed more than just my role and what I spent a lot of time doing. Which was being alone and out there fighting, exploring, and what not.

Its ok though, I'm a jerk for having a different opinion.

LhydiaWed 22-Aug-12 09:08 PM
2390 posts
#110526, "Uh, those are badass village defender rewards dude, you..."
In response to Reply #14

gr

MinyarWed 22-Aug-12 11:49 PM
504 posts
#110536, "I can have any reason I want to delete."
In response to Reply #21

You thinking they aren't good reasons means nothing to me. Thanks for sharing though, way to be constructive.

Cainargen (Anonymous)Wed 22-Aug-12 02:40 PM
Charter member
#110490, "Now some my BFF's are gone :("
In response to Reply #1

I really enjoyed exploring with you. We made a nice team, and it was just a great feeling of camaraderie.

I know what you were disappointed about, and I understand completely - when the drive's not there, its time to go.

I hope your hiatus is not a long one. I always have fun when interacting with you, from both sides of the coin.

Cain

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #110473 Previous topic | Next topic