Subject: "(DELETED) [OUTLANDER] Welvinyon the Vanguard of the Ver..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #110203
Show all folders

Death_AngelWed 08-Aug-12 05:56 PM
Member since 29th Sep 2024
17191 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#110203, "(DELETED) [OUTLANDER] Welvinyon the Vanguard of the Vernal"

Wed Aug 8 15:55:19 2012

At 12 o'clock AM, Day of the Sun, 27th of the Month of the Winter Wolf
on the Theran calendar Welvinyon perished, never to return.

Race:dark-elf
Class:ranger
Level:46
Alignment:Evil
Ethos:Neutral
Cabal:OUTLANDER, the Outlanders of Thar-Eris
Hours:92

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply What? Who?, Tsunami, 08-Aug-12 10:47 PM, #1
     Reply I blame almost myself., Gvilond (Anonymous), 09-Aug-12 06:34 AM, #2
     Reply Oh?, Tsunami, 09-Aug-12 10:01 AM, #3
          Reply No way!, Gvilond (Anonymous), 09-Aug-12 10:41 AM, #4
          Reply Never had you pegged as a powergamer. Somewhat diminish..., Alston, 09-Aug-12 11:04 AM, #6
               Reply What?, Tsunami, 09-Aug-12 11:25 AM, #7
               Reply More of this can only be a good thing., Homard, 09-Aug-12 12:28 PM, #9
               Reply I agree to an extent. But IMO there are too many humans..., Alston, 09-Aug-12 12:48 PM, #12
                    Reply A fair point, but txt, Homard, 09-Aug-12 12:59 PM, #16
                    Reply I used to rage about felar speech but I embrace it now ..., Alston, 09-Aug-12 01:18 PM, #23
                    Reply Now I wasn't Drow enough?, Tsunami, 09-Aug-12 01:04 PM, #17
                         Reply I don't know. Aside from beating your ass once we never..., Alston, 09-Aug-12 01:14 PM, #20
                              Reply "we never interacted", Homard, 09-Aug-12 01:17 PM, #21
                              Reply I judge everyone. to say you can't judge others is redo..., Alston, 09-Aug-12 01:24 PM, #28
                                   Reply Judge away, by all means., Homard, 09-Aug-12 01:28 PM, #30
                              Reply Exactly, Tsunami, 09-Aug-12 01:21 PM, #24
               Reply Or cover. Now i'm questioning your integrity., Alston, 09-Aug-12 12:40 PM, #10
                    Reply Yes.. Definately a power gamer.., Balta, 09-Aug-12 12:49 PM, #13
                    Reply It's the principle. n/t, Alston, 09-Aug-12 12:53 PM, #14
                         Reply Understand what you are saying..., Balta, 09-Aug-12 12:58 PM, #15
                              Reply I am. Apollogies to Matrik. n/t, Alston, 09-Aug-12 01:19 PM, #25
                                   Reply Christ,, Tsunami, 09-Aug-12 01:22 PM, #26
                    Reply Idiot., Tsunami, 09-Aug-12 01:07 PM, #18
                         Reply Apologies for the integrity check. Evidence suggests y..., Alston, 09-Aug-12 01:17 PM, #22
                              Reply The evidence suggests that it is like he said., DurNominator, 09-Aug-12 01:30 PM, #31
               Reply Did you not read this thread properly?, DurNominator, 09-Aug-12 12:07 PM, #8
                    Reply Except that there were letters in Tribunal about this c..., Alston, 09-Aug-12 12:45 PM, #11
                         Reply Wow, just wow., Tsunami, 09-Aug-12 01:14 PM, #19
                              Reply I do apologize. and NO I don't play where your path is ..., Alston, 09-Aug-12 01:22 PM, #27
                              Reply Honestly,, Tsunami, 09-Aug-12 01:27 PM, #29
                              Reply Just be cool dude. Don't get worked up over this., TMNS, 09-Aug-12 01:38 PM, #32
                                   Reply Dude, Tsunami, 09-Aug-12 01:41 PM, #33
     Reply I doubt it., Alston, 09-Aug-12 10:58 AM, #5
     Reply RE: What? Who?, old ranger (Anonymous), 09-Aug-12 05:05 PM, #34
          Reply Cave/Explore, Tsunami, 09-Aug-12 05:29 PM, #35
          Reply RE: Cave/Explore, old ranger (Anonymous), 10-Aug-12 10:28 AM, #38
               Reply Any questions?, Tsunami, 10-Aug-12 11:07 AM, #39
          Reply Animists, Murphy, 10-Aug-12 05:14 AM, #36
               Reply RE: Animists, old ranger (Anonymous), 10-Aug-12 10:24 AM, #37
                    Reply They can't..., Tsunami, 10-Aug-12 11:07 AM, #40

TsunamiWed 08-Aug-12 10:47 PM
Member since 25th Mar 2008
1509 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#110206, "What? Who?"
In response to Reply #0

Short and sweet. Nobody cares.

First time in Outlander, actually a pretty neat cabal. Hadn't planned on joining, and wish I hadn't. Cabals seem to rip all the fun out for me. I go from having tons of potential enemies, allies, and interesting ways to interact with various factions... to hey these guys are enemies and these guys are friends. But, when a leader of cabal is telling your sphere Vanity char is awesome and thinks you should join them, how can he say no? The Nightreaver was fun as hell though.

Gvilond. Didn't remember ranking with you, which is why I was so baffled when you kept calling me betrayer. As a ranger, even while leading the group, I tend to go on auto-pilot while ranking. I did group with some Empire/Tribunal types in the past, and they all got a warning before attacking. Or a half-ass attack/warning.

Xasivus, seriously, good times. I wish I could find/engage enemies at the rapid pace that you do. I have a feeling even without flying you're probably pretty good at it.

Gvilond (Anonymous)Thu 09-Aug-12 06:34 AM
Charter member
#110207, "I blame almost myself."
In response to Reply #1

Gvilond (by RP means) is one who doesn't trust non-oathed much,
but that drow tribunal-pledge told me you aren't gonna be tree-hugger,
and after time we spent traveling, you attacked me during my fight with wyvern in Galadon, so turn Gvilond mad, because (by RP means) he mad about trust-breakers at all.
Sure i have slaped myself for being too trustful with drows.
I have more interesting question:
Do you know why Zameida has tried to save you when i killed you at caves near Arkham?
This was so strange for me, she didn't try to finish you on herown, but kept distructing me.
GLWYN!

TsunamiThu 09-Aug-12 10:01 AM
1509 posts
#110211, "Oh?"
In response to Reply #2

You should have told Welvinyon how awesome he was and he would have taken the oath .

No idea about Zameida. I think that's the one that was wrecking me all the time. Maybe she didn't hate me yet or didn't know I was Outlander yet.

Gvilond (Anonymous)Thu 09-Aug-12 10:41 AM
Charter member
#110213, "No way!"
In response to Reply #3

Empire are ####ing conquerors, they are killing and pushing overs to the bloodoathenization!
Talking to everyone how awesome they are - way for #### forties!

AlstonThu 09-Aug-12 11:04 AM
Member since 07th Sep 2011
858 posts
#110215, "Never had you pegged as a powergamer. Somewhat diminish..."
In response to Reply #3

www.qhcf.net/phorum/read.php?3,940659,940659#msg-940659

TsunamiThu 09-Aug-12 11:25 AM
1509 posts
#110217, "What?"
In response to Reply #6

I'm not sure how buying a potion of return is power gaming. I wasn't an Outlander at the time and had no intention to be one. If anything, if I was a powergamer, I would have stayed the hell out of Outlander instead of letting Xasivus convince Welvinyon to join.

Sorry if you don't understand how to let your characters develop on their own, but that's how I roll. Cookie cutters are ####. Basic character concept -> play it out -> let character evolve independantly. This is my formula 90% of the time.

I did enjoy bashing my own character though. Was more a mockery of how people cry about in game actions when they have no clue what is going on.

HomardThu 09-Aug-12 12:28 PM
Member since 10th Apr 2010
959 posts
#110222, "More of this can only be a good thing."
In response to Reply #7

Doesn't it make sense that a character's development would have as much to do with which cabal (if any) they join as their background?

There's no reason that a silver-tongued Imperial shouldn't be able to convince someone to join the Empire, even if that were not the original design of the character.

The actual circumstances of the character's life should have at least as much to do with the decisions they make as your initial role entries.

I imagine that the most conspicuous case of this in recent memory is Ghrim, who I believe was conceived to be a Fortie, but had the mantle of Village Command thrust upon him at a low level by fulfilling a prophecy.

Now, should we pitch a fit if Sam quaffed a potion at level 10? No. We should be happy that he let the character develop (and develop awesomely, I might add.)

It's these complex decisions and internal conflicts that make this game so rich. Without them, it's just Call of Duty. I commend Welvinyon for being able to be influenced by the world around them, and not living in a box from the moment of character creation.

Though I'm sure this type of character will end as Matrik does more and more steroids, bulking up monstrously and starts playing only Fire Giant Village Sword Specs. Still, it was nice while it lasted.

AlstonThu 09-Aug-12 12:48 PM
858 posts
#110225, "I agree to an extent. But IMO there are too many humans..."
In response to Reply #9

And not enough Drow, Elves, Felar etc.

Far to often race and alignment go out the window when it comes to these "unique" non-cookie cutter roles.

I am an X raised buy a Y after Z killed my family ad nauseum.

HomardThu 09-Aug-12 12:59 PM
959 posts
#110229, "A fair point, but txt"
In response to Reply #12

But it has nothing to do with your original complaint, which was not about this character's Drow-ness, but rather that he used coins and merchants before joining Outlander.

Also, I really don't see race going out the window only in unorthodox roles, but rather across the board.

How to address it? I'm not sure. Arial-speech? Felar-speech? Please no.

It really comes down to being incumbent upon each player to play out their role as they see fit. The good news is that a decent proportion of the playerbase does this exceedingly well. There are characters right now playing out their roles in amazing ways (though we just lost one with the deletion of Qalita.)

Another thing to remember is that you don't know what a character's role is until you speak to them. As such, I generally try not to judge any character until I give them a shot to explain themself. Granted, this sometimes ends with a realization that they have no RP, but just as often I'm rewarded with some amazing story that I could not have guessed (and sometimes a fair reason that the orc is so fair of speech.)

I guess my point is that instead of being quick to judge, we should be quick to give them a chance. And this character is a great example of why.

AlstonThu 09-Aug-12 01:18 PM
858 posts
#110237, "I used to rage about felar speech but I embrace it now ..."
In response to Reply #16

sfgb

TsunamiThu 09-Aug-12 01:04 PM
1509 posts
#110230, "Now I wasn't Drow enough?"
In response to Reply #12

I think I did damn well with evil neutral considering how much I dislike playing evil. I played people against each other, used people, lied, and so on. He was a drow scout that hated House politics (they were beneath his awesomeness) so left the Underdark.

AlstonThu 09-Aug-12 01:14 PM
858 posts
#110234, "I don't know. Aside from beating your ass once we never..."
In response to Reply #17

ghnednd

HomardThu 09-Aug-12 01:17 PM
959 posts
#110235, ""we never interacted""
In response to Reply #20

Then stop judging him.

You're in no position to do so.

AlstonThu 09-Aug-12 01:24 PM
858 posts
#110242, "I judge everyone. to say you can't judge others is redo..."
In response to Reply #21

I just judge through my filters and I may not be always correct.

HomardThu 09-Aug-12 01:28 PM
959 posts
#110244, "Judge away, by all means."
In response to Reply #28

But recognize when you don't have enough information to make a value-judgement.

This is one of those cases.

It's not a matter of filters. It's a matter of you taking one bit of secondhand information and making a massive judgement.

You're under-informed, you jumped to a conclusion and you've managed to insult a guy who is pretty good for the game.

Stop now?

TsunamiThu 09-Aug-12 01:18 PM
1509 posts
#110238, "Exactly"
In response to Reply #20
Edited on Thu 09-Aug-12 01:21 PM

Apology accepted

AlstonThu 09-Aug-12 12:40 PM
858 posts
#110223, "Or cover. Now i'm questioning your integrity."
In response to Reply #7

Because there was a letter about you being an Outlander App when I was in Tribunal. I'm pretty sure it predated that post.

The "I don't" play cookie cutters is the battle cry of humans in funny suits/And power gamers the world over.

I guess you just got tired of your old record eh?

I think I will make a role about a guy who hates magic and so he uses it to fight it. I'll also sucker them into groups and let them tank and kill them when they are nearly dead and then apply for Battle with a hefty padded score and shoot for that mage slayer title. I don't want to be a cookie cutter you see.

BaltaThu 09-Aug-12 12:49 PM
Member since 05th Apr 2011
166 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#110226, "Yes.. Definately a power gamer.."
In response to Reply #10

With all nine of his pks..

AlstonThu 09-Aug-12 12:53 PM
858 posts
#110227, "It's the principle. n/t"
In response to Reply #13

errrg

BaltaThu 09-Aug-12 12:58 PM
Member since 05th Apr 2011
166 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#110228, "Understand what you are saying..."
In response to Reply #14

But I actually believe him.. He picked drow as a ranger, very
easy to exploit the vuln.. Not really a powerhouse combo
for ranger.. He also was neutral ethos.. Means no windwalk.
If I'm going to roll outtie.. I'm going to have windwalk. I really
believe his joining was random and not planned. Now do I think
after traveling with imperials/etc that he should have just got an
induct? No. Is there anyway for Xasivus to tell that? No.

I just feel you are blowing this one a little out of proportion.

AlstonThu 09-Aug-12 01:19 PM
858 posts
#110239, "I am. Apollogies to Matrik. n/t"
In response to Reply #15

fgbb

TsunamiThu 09-Aug-12 01:22 PM
1509 posts
#110240, "Christ,"
In response to Reply #25

It's fine. Forget it. I fully expected something like this, just not from you.

TsunamiThu 09-Aug-12 01:07 PM
1509 posts
#110231, "Idiot."
In response to Reply #10

I know about that note, and it was a false assumption. So #### you. It's not my fault everyone assumed I was outlander from the start. Did you even look at my PK stats on this guy? 9-5. What about that screams power gamer?

AlstonThu 09-Aug-12 01:17 PM
858 posts
#110236, " Apologies for the integrity check. Evidence suggests y..."
In response to Reply #18

July 26th You pledged.

That Log was posted July 29th but Vladimir was in his 20's so it was a log from a period of time before your pledge.

DurNominatorThu 09-Aug-12 01:30 PM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#110245, "The evidence suggests that it is like he said."
In response to Reply #22
Edited on Thu 09-Aug-12 01:30 PM

That the Nightreaver recruited him. He pledged to join and got inducted immediately after that, with less than an hour spent as a pledge.

Thu Jul 26 10:42:02 2012 at level 43 (62 hrs):
Welvinyon has pledged to the Outlanders of Thar-Eris <PK: 4-1>

Thu Jul 26 10:48:05 2012 at level 43 (62 hrs):
Welvinyon moved to Emerald Forest (Outlander induction) <PK: 4-1>

Thu Jul 26 10:48:05 2012 at level 43 (62 hrs):
Inducted into OUTLANDER by Xasivus <PK: 4-1>

And as we know, It is hard-coded that Outlanders are unable to buy.

DurNominatorThu 09-Aug-12 12:06 PM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#110220, "Did you not read this thread properly?"
In response to Reply #6
Edited on Thu 09-Aug-12 12:07 PM

Matrik said that his character joined Outlander just because the Nightreaver flattered him. That is a shallow reason that implies no previous conviction towards becoming an Outlander.

AlstonThu 09-Aug-12 12:45 PM
858 posts
#110224, "Except that there were letters in Tribunal about this c..."
In response to Reply #8

And he was often around the tree.

It's cool though. If he's to believed he spent his life up to 40 not giving a #### about Outlander dogma and then was "flattered into conformity" and no one blinked an eye.

Smells funny.

Let this be a lesson to all players. Do what the hell you want pre-induction. Then #### your way in and suffer ZERO repercussions.

TsunamiThu 09-Aug-12 01:11 PM
1509 posts
#110233, "Wow, just wow."
In response to Reply #11
Edited on Thu 09-Aug-12 01:14 PM

You know nothing about this game or roleplay. You really don't do you? What part of "going Outlander was the worst possible choice power game wise" do you not understand?

I lost half my preps doing that. I lost haste. I lost healers. All I really gained was a bit of hp, a couple hit/dam, and deadfall. It was the worst possible choice if I was power gaming. Not to mention I now had to defend in fights I had no chance against. I garauntee had I not gone outlander I wouldn't have died 5 times. Maybe 2, 3 tops. I also would have had more kills, because I originally had Outlanders in my sights as well.

EDIT TO ADD: The note to Tribunal was false if it came before I joined Outlander. They assumed it because I killed someone I guess since I wasn't criminal either. I also never hung around the tree until inducted, so that is a lie as well. Now you're a confirmed liar. I was hunting a few people in Sitran, Xasivus and Balete showed up and struck. I joined in the fight. Then ended up tagging along with Xasivus for a bit. Then it went from there.

Let this be a lesson to all players. Pro believes you are born with all knowledge of your character, his path, and nothing can change their mind about anything ever.

AlstonThu 09-Aug-12 01:22 PM
858 posts
#110241, "I do apologize. and NO I don't play where your path is ..."
In response to Reply #19

But there are things in the game like Coin use for Outies and Detects for Villagers that preclude "Evolving". At least at some point.

But yeah. I jumped the gun on yours.

I still think it's ####ty that you were allowed in so late in the day though.

TsunamiThu 09-Aug-12 01:24 PM
1509 posts
#110243, "Honestly,"
In response to Reply #27
Edited on Thu 09-Aug-12 01:27 PM

I didn't expect it to work. I'd been inducted into Tribunal before under similar circumstances. I immediately got booted by an immortal and the dude got in trouble. I thought he had imm approval the whole time, so I always felt bad about that one.

EDIT TO ADD: Also, just because Welvinyon joined didn't mean he was fully comitted either. As he was in, he was slowly swaying more towards "comitted" as the coin role was supposed to show. But something offered him to leave Outlander and he may well have done it. Something big though, like the Lich lord offering power or the Scions offering something. Who knows. Unfortunately, I don't think I was good enough for anything like that to ever be offered.

TMNSThu 09-Aug-12 01:38 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#110246, "Just be cool dude. Don't get worked up over this."
In response to Reply #19

I remember there was a time when I did as well when obvious ####ing idiots made stupid assumptions about my characters. I remember when some jake kept accusing Eljassir of being in a perma because I went EMPIRE and "why would a shifter join empire they get no powers".

For the record, all my favorite characters except for Thrak and Uthral were very fluid and dynamic, with the possibilities for all types of change. It's one of the thing I think really makes a real character stand out and distinguish himself for Joe Drow #2.

I barely interacted with this char FWIW except for you fruitlessly trying to kill me (but at least you tried!) but I'm glad you weren't afraid to go where the character led you.

TsunamiThu 09-Aug-12 01:41 PM
1509 posts
#110247, "Dude"
In response to Reply #32

This guy was the king of fruitlessly trying to kill people. No bearcharge for one. No one would come to the caves with me for two, unless they seriously outgunned me. So, I spent lots of time chasing in civilized and serpent striking heh. Unless I was IN the caves I had no offense but serpent strike.

I'm not worked up. I enjoy forum conflicts.

AlstonThu 09-Aug-12 10:58 AM
858 posts
#110214, "I doubt it."
In response to Reply #1

Xasivus, seriously, good times. I wish I could find/engage enemies at the rapid pace that you do. I have a feeling even without flying you're probably pretty good at it.

Fly/to murder is by default "Easy Mode" And he dies a lot.

But as a player he is cool.

old ranger (Anonymous)Thu 09-Aug-12 05:05 PM
Charter member
#110252, "RE: What? Who?"
In response to Reply #1

what was your ranger, Cave/explorer or CAve/Animist... I was doing not long ago cave/animist and was cool, but couldnt continue... which was your experiance?

TsunamiThu 09-Aug-12 05:29 PM
1509 posts
#110253, "Cave/Explore"
In response to Reply #34

Always been my favorite. Unless you are in the caves though, people will just walk away from you. Caverndweller bearcharge doesn't do much of anything as far as I can tell. You CAN do it every round though. So who knows, maybe it can have some lag. I doubt it.

Shadowstride I've learned is over powered and fantastic. It may even be worth giving up the no ability to lag outside of caves. I'm not sure how much of my shadowstride outside of caves was due to explorer, but it was awesome.

Rebounding strike is fun as hell too. Not unblockable like riposte, but it fires a TON if you are high dex.

I've wanted to try cave/animist myself. I haven't got around to it yet.

Cave/Explore in general is just very versatile. Not a PK power house outside the caves, but lots of tools and lots of fun imo.

old ranger (Anonymous)Fri 10-Aug-12 10:28 AM
Charter member
#110277, "RE: Cave/Explore"
In response to Reply #35

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, I will try myself again a ranger cave/animist and see how good they are with all their skills...

TsunamiFri 10-Aug-12 11:07 AM
1509 posts
#110278, "Any questions?"
In response to Reply #38

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I'll gladly share what I know.

MurphyFri 10-Aug-12 05:14 AM
Member since 30th Dec 2010
1639 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#110272, "Animists"
In response to Reply #34

Just so you know, evils cannot be animists.

old ranger (Anonymous)Fri 10-Aug-12 10:24 AM
Charter member
#110276, "RE: Animists"
In response to Reply #36

In the past Fire Giants, Gnomes, Svirfs, Storm giants and Drown couldnt be Rangers... Now we have those races running in the bushes, perhaps in the past evils couldnt be Animists, but guess what, now they can, or at least drows can

TsunamiFri 10-Aug-12 11:07 AM
1509 posts
#110279, "They can't..."
In response to Reply #37

Unless you mean half-drow. Half-drow can.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #110203 Previous topic | Next topic